The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default Schefter predicts Caro to take Newton #1

Good news for 'trade down' fans. I think there will be a lot more interest from teams wanting to come up to #2 to pass Buffalo for Gabbert than vice versa,

What say ye, Broncos fans?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-overall-pick/

Schefter predicts Cam Newton will be No. 1 overall pick
Posted by Evan Silva on March 25, 2011, 5:44 PM EDT
Cam Newton, Warren Moon AP

Late last February, ESPN’s Adam Schefter got the ball rolling nationally when he predicted Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford would be the Rams’ No. 1 pick in the draft.

It took Schefter just over a month longer this year. In a Q&A for ESPN.com Insider, Schefter predicts that Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will be this April’s top overall selection.

“Last week, I sensed Blaine Gabbert,” writes Schefter. “… This week, I’m more on the Cam Newton bandwagon. The more I hear, the more it sounds like Newton is the player to beat for the No. 1 pick.”

In addition to Carolina’s quarterback need, Schefter explains that the Panthers “need to create buzz to sell some tickets.” A controversial prospect but with unquestioned physical tools, Newton gives Jerry Richardson’s organization the best chance to do just that.

Last edited by HAT; 03-25-2011 at 09:11 PM..
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

I just do not see it, I might be in the manority here.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Manority - that puts you dead center between the minority and the majority. Well played.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

You are definitely not in the minority but if they take him then hopefully Dareus will be a Bronco
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
You are definitely not in the minority but if they take him then hopefully Dareus will be a Bronco
I will shank something/one in the eye if Dareus is there and they don't take him.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

No, if Carolina takes Cam, we will not be taking Dareus because we will be trading down.

Guaranteed.

3 Buffalo

4 Cincy

5 Arizona

6 Browns....will not move up

7 San Fran

One of these teams will move up to get Gabbert.

I believe Carolina has no choice, only Newton brings an element that gets them closer to winning simply because of his playmaking ability.

I can definitely see them taking Newton.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

If he's right, that's absolutely ****ing awesome news for us. Trade down to the 3, 4, 5, or 7 spots, net another 2nd rounder, and still get Peterson or the impact front seven player that slips (Dareus, Bowers, or Fairley).
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

This would be the best possible scenario for us. We'd have either our pick of the best defensive player on the board or we could be flexible and trade.

I agree with WARHORSE, teams 3-7 all will want a QB, which could make for a nice bidding war for the #2 pick.

I see it as a no-lose situation if Carolina takes Cam Newton, provided we don't **** it up.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
No, if Carolina takes Cam, we will not be taking Dareus because we will be trading down.

Guaranteed.

3 Buffalo

4 Cincy

5 Arizona

6 Browns....will not move up

7 San Fran

One of these teams will move up to get Gabbert.
Yup, and you can add Tenn, Wash & Minny to that list.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

oh please, please, please, please let this be true...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

This was the worst secret ever. The way Fig gets hyped we knew he'd go #1.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier made it "pretty clear" at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday that he wants to draft a quarterback and start him right away.

"(The idea) would be to get a young guy that could say, 'OK, we're going to ride with this guy. He's our [Joe] Flacco, he's our [Mark] Sanchez, he's our Matt Ryan,'" Frazier said. "He would step in as our starter." Beat writers Judd Zulgad and Tom Pelissero both came away from Frazier's Tuesday breakfast with the media believing that the Vikings will draft a QB in the first or second round. Whether he's "pro-ready" or not
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

How much could we get in return for trading down to 5 or 7?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you're gonna draft anyone available in the first or second and start him with no fallback plan... you're better served to trade for someone.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by d:-| View Post
Good news for 'trade down' fans. I think there will be a lot more interest from teams wanting to come up to #2 to pass Buffalo for Gabbert than vice versa,

What say ye, Broncos fans?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-overall-pick/

Schefter predicts Cam Newton will be No. 1 overall pick
Posted by Evan Silva on March 25, 2011, 5:44 PM EDT
Cam Newton, Warren Moon AP

Late last February, ESPN’s Adam Schefter got the ball rolling nationally when he predicted Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford would be the Rams’ No. 1 pick in the draft.

It took Schefter just over a month longer this year. In a Q&A for ESPN.com Insider, Schefter predicts that Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will be this April’s top overall selection.

“Last week, I sensed Blaine Gabbert,” writes Schefter. “… This week, I’m more on the Cam Newton bandwagon. The more I hear, the more it sounds like Newton is the player to beat for the No. 1 pick.”

In addition to Carolina’s quarterback need, Schefter explains that the Panthers “need to create buzz to sell some tickets.” A controversial prospect but with unquestioned physical tools, Newton gives Jerry Richardson’s organization the best chance to do just that.
Oh please may this be true. There's at least half dozen team that would trade half there draft for Blaine Gabbert.

Last edited by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun; 03-25-2011 at 09:17 PM..
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

denver should have the opportunity to trade down if they want to, depends if they want to give up the chance to take one of the elite D players. i think a guy like fairley at pick 5 would be perfect, AZ is apparently very big into gabbert.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
yerner
Ring of Famer

I wouldn't trade it. If Newton goes 1st the Broncos have a chance to pick the best player in the draft and their first choice.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
denver should have the opportunity to trade down if they want to, depends if they want to give up the chance to take one of the elite D players. i think a guy like fairley at pick 5 would be perfect, AZ is apparently very big into gabbert.
Not happening. Their beat writer put the odds at 70-1 that they won't draft a QB at #5. While I don't think it's THAT much of a longshot, I do agree that it makes no sense for them. And especially to trade up.

The Cards need way too much help to piss away their 2nd & 4th to move up and grab a QB who won't make an immediate impact. They already have Skelton to develop & will be better served with bringing in a vet or FA to compete with him once the lockout stuff is resolved.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #19
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I wouldn't trade it. If Newton goes 1st the Broncos have a chance to pick the best player in the draft and their first choice.
And if they have a handful of guys rated roughly the same? They'd be nuts not to trade it if there is a market.

There are holes all over the place and the best way to fill them is by acquiring extra early round picks. It's not like they'd be trading out of the first round entirely....Just moving back 2-10 spots.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Manority - that puts you dead center between the minority and the majority. Well played.
Rep.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I was reading on a Caro board that they have given sample playbooks to Newton, Gabbert & Mallet so they can get a better feel on their smarts when they have them in over the next few months. Everything else I've read points to the fact that they like Mallet almost as much as the other two.

If they were picking at the top of round 2, I'd agree with you here. As it is, they don't have a 2nd round pick with which to take Mallet (or any other of the 2nd tier guys).
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

With a rookie cap. It should making trading easier, even with the #1 pick.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

IF, and it's a big if....The Panthers take Newton #1. I actually believe you can Buffalo to the list of potential trade partners. I would've scoffed at that notion a month ago but it's making more and more sense.

Denver supposedly got the jump on them for Tebow last year and if Elway plays his cards right, he might be able to pull it off.

If he can convince them that there's a solid offer on the table from one of the other QB needy teams, Buff might just go along with it to not lose their 'franchise QB' because of Denver for the 2nd year in a row.

How's this for a possible deal.

Denver gets: Picks #3, 34 & 99. (2,864 on the chart if you're into that)
Buff gets: pick #2 & 46. (3,040 on the chart)

Why it works for Buff:
They are #winning as far as chart value and still retain their 2nd rounder. Essentially only sacrificing a 4th round pick and moving back some in round 2 to get their QB and not get screwed by Denver 2 years in a row.

Why it works for Denver:
Works is selling it short! Epic win IMO. At # 3 they still get their top rated guy on D. Moving up 12 spots in the 2nd is huge and will open up all kinds of new options by having picks #34 & 36. And they go from not having a 4th round pick at all to having the 3rd overall pick in that round.

I hope Elway is a good poker player!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by d:-| View Post
IF, and it's a big if....The Panthers take Newton #1. I actually believe you can Buffalo to the list of potential trade partners. I would've scoffed at that notion a month ago but it's making more and more sense.

Denver supposedly got the jump on them for Tebow last year and if Elway plays his cards right, he might be able to pull it off.

If he can convince them that there's a solid offer on the table from one of the other QB needy teams, Buff might just go along with it to not lose their 'franchise QB' because of Denver for the 2nd year in a row.

How's this for a possible deal.

Denver gets: Picks #3, 34 & 99. (2,864 on the chart if you're into that)
Buff gets: pick #2 & 46. (3,040 on the chart)

Why it works for Buff:
They are #winning as far as chart value and still retain their 2nd rounder. Essentially only sacrificing a 4th round pick and moving back some in round 2 to get their QB and not get screwed by Denver 2 years in a row.

Why it works for Denver:
Works is selling it short! Epic win IMO. At # 3 they still get their top rated guy on D. Moving up 12 spots in the 2nd is huge and will open up all kinds of new options by having picks #34 & 36. And they go from not having a 4th round pick at all to having the 3rd overall pick in that round.

I hope Elway is a good poker player!
I like how you think, Sir.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
How much could we get in return for trading down to 5 or 7?
I would hope a veteran defensive lineman could be included in that package.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote