The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Patrick Peterson may not be book smart but he is football smart and hes gonna to be an elite player

Skeptical ? Watch this video
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...Back-to-school

Wonderlic scores don't effect your ability to play any defensive back position. It really shouldn't be a red flag either as a CB in the NFL. People that keep knocking the guy assuming he doesn't know how to digest defensive plays, and disguise coverages just because he scored low on the wonderlic, give me a break. We should either go Dareus or Peterson whoever fox feels is the better overall defensive player.

There is no better way to help a young inexperienced d-line than having 2 spectacular cover corners and with Cox in on nickle packages, its going to be very dangerous throwing at any of our corners. here is some more of Patrick Peterson http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...eterson-s-path in studio talking to NFL Network, doesn't come off dumb at all

So maybe hes not as smart as a guy like Champ but he certainly isn't dumb in the football department and if you want a high character guy, draft Peterson or Dareus. I got feeling the Panthers will either go with Dareus or Peterson, and if that happens we need to grab whoever they don't take from those two.

Last edited by KevinJames; 03-23-2011 at 04:04 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

get him!
ChampBailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

sounds like the case of Alvin Mack

Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo McDowell View Post
sounds like the case of Alvin Mack

Repped for your the Program reference.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Patrick Peterson may not be book smart but he is football smart and hes gonna to be an elite player
Did he have any part in writing that subject line?
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I don't care about his wonderlic; I care that we've had the best CB for the past decade and have zero to show for it.

Get. Better. Up. Front.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Repped for your the Program reference.
What's your assignment?

Kill everybody.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
ghostofjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I don't care about his wonderlic; I care that we've had the best CB for the past decade and have zero to show for it.

Get. Better. Up. Front.
This
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Get. Better. Up. Front.
crazy that people dont get this. i dont think anyone here has doubted the ceiling of peterson. lets say hes as good as champ in his prime, what will that get us? exactly where we were before, an amazing CB and later round talent and FA trying to form a dline.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

I agree, with the 2nd overall pick we should roll the dice on one of the top 3 or 4 d-lineman. Each of which has question marks like - motor, one year wonder?, injury, drive, etc...... not too mention d-line has the most busts in top 10 picks in the history of the game according to the guys on the NFL network.

Yep, roll the dice with our #2 overall pick. Skip considering the "safe" pick who could be groomed to take over for Bailey. Skip using our 2nd round pick(s) on d-linemen in a draft that is 2 or 3 rounds deep with d-line talent.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
crazy that people dont get this. i dont think anyone here has doubted the ceiling of peterson. lets say hes as good as champ in his prime, what will that get us? exactly where we were before, an amazing CB and later round talent and FA trying to form a dline.
Ummmm....No.

That will get us 2 amazing CB's and 1, maybe 2 first round talent DL-men that slipped to 36 & 46 because the position is so deep this year.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I agree, with the 2nd overall pick we should roll the dice on one of the top 3 or 4 d-lineman. Each of which has question marks like - motor, one year wonder?, injury, drive, etc...... not too mention d-line has the most busts in top 10 picks in the history of the game according to the guys on the NFL network.

Yep, roll the dice with our #2 overall pick. Skip considering the "safe" pick who could be groomed to take over for Bailey. Skip using our 2nd round pick(s) on d-linemen in a draft that is 2 or 3 rounds deep with d-line talent.
So wait... those guys have red flags, but Peterson and his ridiculous Wonderlic doesn't?

Whatever supports your agenda, I guess.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

We addressed the o-line last year now lets address the d-line

You win in the trenches people
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
teknic

I wanted Peterson before because I felt he was the best overall player coming out and the safest pick, but the low wonderlic score did change my perception of him being a safe pick.

I either want Dareus or Von Miller at #2, or to trade back and use the picks gained to move back into the first round and take two good defensive players.

If the Broncos decide to draft a defensive back in the first round still, I feel Amukamara in the 10-15 range is a better value than Peterson at #2. So unless the Broncos trade back, they should fix the front 7 with their top pick.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

I really feel like this is Ed Reed all over again, please don't let us pass him up
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
So wait... those guys have red flags, but Peterson and his ridiculous Wonderlic doesn't?

Whatever supports your agenda, I guess.
Just saying I think I would take the guy that 98% of the paid 'experts' consider the safest pick in the draft over using the #2 pick on a crapshoot position like d-line in a draft that has talent 2 rounds deep on the d-line.

I'd rather not be the Browns, Bengals or Lions and known for drafting yet another bust d-lineman.

So you think it's better to use the #2 on:

A guy that possibly has a dinged knee along with the one year wonder tag? Bowers

A guy that played JUCO because of academics, has questions about his desire to play once he's paid, has a tendency to attract yellow flags - but is dominant when he wants to be? Fairley

A guy that was suspended for an entire year for being shady, but put up great numbers one year? Quinn

A guy that seems like the best d-line pick but also had shady dealings in college? Dareus

All of those over a guy that is considered the best prospect in the draft but he can't seem to spell his name correctly? BAH

Again, i'm just saying that there's no 'sure-fire' gotta have that guy on the d-line in the top 10 this year. Not one of them are considered a can't miss pick. As much as I know we need a defensive tackle i'm still not comfortable gambling the #2 pick when there are guys going to be available in the 2nd round.

At this point in time I really don't even want us picking at #2 because of the risk of busting out there - especially with the d-line.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:

Whatever supports your agenda, I guess
Not sure what you mean by supporting my agenda? I don't represent Peterson, I have no ties to the Broncos, LSU or any company that deals with football at all.

?

I don't expect much out of any rookie out there, so I have no expectations like everyone else that we're going to have some great 10 year Bronco that makes the Pro Bowl every year just because he's a #2 overall pick.

I fully expect the d-line to be Dumervil, Ayers, Vickerson and who knows.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
I wanted Peterson before because I felt he was the best overall player coming out and the safest pick, but the low wonderlic score did change my perception of him being a safe pick.

I either want Dareus or Von Miller at #2, or to trade back and use the picks gained to move back into the first round and take two good defensive players.

If the Broncos decide to draft a defensive back in the first round still, I feel Amukamara in the 10-15 range is a better value than Peterson at #2. So unless the Broncos trade back, they should fix the front 7 with their top pick.
No way Prince gets past Dallas at #9.

My first choice is PP, but if they go DL then I hope they don't even sniff CB until #67 or later....And only then if somebody falls.

I'd like to see either.....

CB (Peterson)
DL
DL/LB
LB/TE/RB/S/OL

OR

DT (Dareus)
DL/S
DL/LB/S
OL/RB/CB/TE
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
Well actually we do understand but, we also feel we want a stud in alot of levels of our D. I also agree that regardless the route at 2 or 5 we must nail the pick and get it right. I'd gladly take Peterson or Dareus at 2 and not regret it a bit. No matter the route it's going to take several drafts to build this D not just 1 top player. Imo Denver would need to draft Bowers Dareus and Peterson to vastly improve this D. As a fan of course a DE DT DT top 3 picks would rock but, if they disappoint we will still need help on DL and have not improved any other level of our D.

I myself believe Patrick Peterson is best player in draft and would take him. Dareus is my 2nd player but, bigger need but, bigger risk too. I'd gladly take another Champ or Ed Reed.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Peterson is capable of being a four tool player (CB, S, PR, KR). He could make an immediate impact in our kickoff return game.

....wait a minute.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Just saying I think I would take the guy that 98% of the paid 'experts' consider the safest pick in the draft over using the #2 pick on a crapshoot position like d-line in a draft that has talent 2 rounds deep on the d-line.

I'd rather not be the Browns, Bengals or Lions and known for drafting yet another bust d-lineman.

So you think it's better to use the #2 on:

A guy that possibly has a dinged knee along with the one year wonder tag? Bowers

A guy that played JUCO because of academics, has questions about his desire to play once he's paid, has a tendency to attract yellow flags - but is dominant when he wants to be? Fairley

A guy that was suspended for an entire year for being shady, but put up great numbers one year? Quinn

A guy that seems like the best d-line pick but also had shady dealings in college? Dareus
All of those over a guy that is considered the best prospect in the draft but he can't seem to spell his name correctly? BAH

Again, i'm just saying that there's no 'sure-fire' gotta have that guy on the d-line in the top 10 this year. Not one of them are considered a can't miss pick. As much as I know we need a defensive tackle i'm still not comfortable gambling the #2 pick when there are guys going to be available in the 2nd round.

At this point in time I really don't even want us picking at #2 because of the risk of busting out there - especially with the d-line.
Link?
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #22
Prodigal19
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Skeptical ? Watch this video
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...Back-to-school

Wonderlic scores don't effect your ability to play any defensive back position. It really shouldn't be a red flag either as a CB in the NFL. People that keep knocking the guy assuming he doesn't know how to digest defensive plays, and disguise coverages just because he scored low on the wonderlic, give me a break. We should either go Dareus or Peterson whoever fox feels is the better overall defensive player.

There is no better way to help a young inexperienced d-line than having 2 spectacular cover corners and with Cox in on nickle packages, its going to be very dangerous throwing at any of our corners. here is some more of Patrick Peterson http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...eterson-s-path in studio talking to NFL Network, doesn't come off dumb at all

So maybe hes not as smart as a guy like Champ but he certainly isn't dumb in the football department and if you want a high character guy, draft Peterson or Dareus. I got feeling the Panthers will either go with Dareus or Peterson, and if that happens we need to grab whoever they don't take from those two.
While I dont believe that low wonderlic scores are really a knock against a CB, I would hardly consider that NFL network video a good gauge of how smart he is. They aren't going allow Peterson to embarrass himself on national TV by not knowing the answers. The entire segment was most likely scripted to some degree.

Last edited by Prodigal19; 03-23-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Prodigal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Link?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5396236

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...gal-benefits/1

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...irst-two-games

http://www.bamachannel.com/article/m...ation_underway
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

If the ncaa ss cleared him he is fine by me.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Peterson is capable of being a four tool player (CB, S, PR, KR). He could make an immediate impact in our kickoff return game.

....wait a minute.
lol