The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Ipad 2 or Thunderbolt?

Wondering if anyone has either of these two new products? I am traveling quite a bit with my new job and am looking at getting one or the other. I am due for a new Verizon phone so I could get the Thunderbolt at the 250$ price, plus the 30 dollar monthly data package. Or keep my current phone w/o internet and get the Ipad2 with Wifi/3G and the 30 dollar data package. I won't really be using the phone for work stuff, mainly for internet/checking mail probably.

Anyone have any thoughts on what experiences you've had with either products, and what you would go with?

Thanks !!
SoDakBronco
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

I may get the Ipad 1 just because of the price drop on the Gen1...

Read a big thing on yahoo talking about how in some ways with the price drop the gen1 is a better deal for some people... I don't need cams on my tablet heheh ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Yeah apple buying up the ipad 1 from customers to avoid a big secondary market. The ipad 1 discounted a great deal. Most of us have a camera we use that is a dedicated camera. Or the phone you use has one etc etc.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I'm looking at the iPad because I can use it for google books.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Wondering if anyone has either of these two new products? I am traveling quite a bit with my new job and am looking at getting one or the other. I am due for a new Verizon phone so I could get the Thunderbolt at the 250$ price, plus the 30 dollar monthly data package. Or keep my current phone w/o internet and get the Ipad2 with Wifi/3G and the 30 dollar data package. I won't really be using the phone for work stuff, mainly for internet/checking mail probably.

Anyone have any thoughts on what experiences you've had with either products, and what you would go with?

Thanks !!
SoDakBronco
Can you play Flash on the Thunderbolt?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

I have a thunderbolt and it's pretty sweet ... it's like walking around with a laptop in your pocket.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Have iPad 1. Used my phone as a hotspot whenever I needed internet and it worked great. Going with the Motorola XOOM now.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I've had a smartphone for a few years and am looking to "downsize". I'd like to get a tablet device as well.

I'd go with an iPad, but - i'm waiting on HP at the moment. WebOS is going to be injected into their product line:

tablets, phones, desktops, printers, etc. You will be able to go from phone, to PC*, etc via a "roaming" profile. (If you have multiple webOS devices).
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
MaloCS
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

After returning an iPad last fall I just pulled the trigger on a refurbished, 16GB, WiFi only, iPad 1 for just over $300. The iPad is definitely worth that much.

One thing I learned from my last experience with the iPad is you have to know what type of a device it is. It's not a full blown laptop PC but a mobile device designed around media consumption. My last foray into the iPad market left me disappointed because I wanted the device for a digital sketchbook and an eReader. The responsiveness of the drawing applications were horrible and the backlit screen gave me terrible migraines when trying to read so back to the Apple store she went.

After the price drop on Gen 1s I decided to buy another iPad for the sole purpose of playing games and browsing the internet. So far, the iPad is surpassing my expectations because I'm only asking it to do EXACTLY what is was designed to do.

Last edited by MaloCS; 03-23-2011 at 08:39 AM..
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

I've been researching the Thunderbolt for the past couple days and believe I will be picking up two this afternoon (the other for my wife).

The only cons I am seeing are that skype video is not going to be available at the moment, although they believe it will on the horizon, and the battery life. The biggest complaint I see here is that you must charge it every night... I do that already, so that's not a big deal to me.

There also seems to be a slight problem with the mobile hotspot feature. I hope they can fix it with an update.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/i...spot-problems/

Here is a full review: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/h...erbolt-review/
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
I've had a smartphone for a few years and am looking to "downsize". I'd like to get a tablet device as well.

I'd go with an iPad, but - i'm waiting on HP at the moment. WebOS is going to be injected into their product line:

tablets, phones, desktops, printers, etc. You will be able to go from phone, to PC*, etc via a "roaming" profile. (If you have multiple webOS devices).
A Veer/Touchpad combo might be perfect for you.

I've been a palm user since the Treo 300 and am currently still using a centro that has been off contract since last September. I didn't want a Pre+ or Pre2 knowing that new hardware was coming from HPalm.

I've played around with some Android phones and it just doesn't compare to WebOS. Plus, the Evos and T-bolts of the world are just too damn big for my tastes at 4.3"....Great for browsing, but it's like holding a brick to your ear for talking.

The Pre3 is just about the perfect phone for me...Size, physical keyboard, WebOS, etc. If I don't end up getting a tab, I will get a Pre 3 for sure. I've been playing with my daughter's Ipad enough lately to see it's use though.

If I do decide to get a Touchpad instead of upgrading my laptop, I will go with the Veer for a phone. That sucker is the size of a credit card when closed and basically has the same size keyboard as the original Pre and the same size screen as the Centro or Pixi. Combined with a wifi only Touchpad, no need for a bigger screen. You can also take calls & texts from the Touchpad from your WebOS phone via bluetooth.

HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Thanks HAT. I'll look into that.

I was dealing with HP Specialty: Servers, Workstations (Z series), Thin Clients & R-POS.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post

Thanks !!
SoDakBronco
If you have no need for a tab, just get the biggest & best smartphone that suits your needs.

If you want a tab though....I'd still use your VZ upgrade on an older/cheaper smartphone with data package & get a wifi only pad. That way you've still got data on your phone when you're not carrying the tab and you can use your phones data from your tab when you are carrying it. Just make sure whatever phone you get has a mobile hotspot or can at least be tethered with a 3rd party app. You can get a droid incredible (which was last years best smartphone) for like $50 and the specs aren't that far behind the latest and greatest.

Also, I'd make sure my phone & tab are using the same OS.

A WebOS combo is definitely the most integrated & has true multitasking but if it's not for you than at least pair a Droid phone with a droid tab or an iphone with ipad.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Hold off and buy the NEW Galaxy tab 8.9
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

hamburger helper or complete meals? I chose complete meals because they are ez and fast.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

http://www.woot.com/

Selling ViewsonicG Tablets today for 279!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Hold off and buy the NEW Galaxy tab 8.9
I think this will ultimately prove to be the winning form factor with tabs.

The 10.1"s are still a bit heavy and have 4:3 aspect ratio. And I don't see the point of the 7" ers at all. May as well just get a 4.3" superphone.

8.9" screen with 15:9 seems to be the sweet spot.