The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Another Leap in Tech

Pretty cool technology. It would be very nice if they could implement this and lower user costs. I'm paying for five damn cell phones.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/21/tech...dex.htm?hpt=T2

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-21-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Nice. Tangent but I have a friend that worked in 3d printing... as this stage they can actual print a working cell phone.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,756

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

you are paying for 5 cell phone.... blame only yourself, no one is that damn important.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
you are paying for 5 cell phone.... blame only yourself, no one is that damn important.
My kids are.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,854

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

tHIS thing will probably cause cancer too. (-:
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
tHIS thing will probably cause cancer too. (-:
boo cynicism.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
tHIS thing will probably cause cancer too. (-:
I was thinking the same thing.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Pretty cool technology. It would be very nice if they could implement this and lower user costs. I'm paying for five damn cell phones.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/21/tech...dex.htm?hpt=T2
But if you open the cube doesn't someone you don't know get killed but you get one Million dollars?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules
 
DarkHorse30's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
My kids are.
Bingo. Handy little locaters those cell phones are. BTW, I'll see your 5 and raise you 1.....
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nice. Tangent but I have a friend that worked in 3d printing... as this stage they can actual print a working cell phone.
this is a field i'm highly interested in. Is there anyway or anyone I can talk to about this? I'm very excited about it.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Pretty cool technology. It would be very nice if they could implement this and lower user costs. I'm paying for five damn cell phones.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/21/tech...dex.htm?hpt=T2
I saw this during th AM but didn't spend much time on it. How does this differ vs the microcells att/vz offer?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,089

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nice. Tangent but I have a friend that worked in 3d printing... as this stage they can actual print a working cell phone.
Maybe they can print housings (with not very good material properties), and I guess technically PCB's could be considered printed, but no way can they print batteries, displays, or microchips.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Maybe they can print housings (with not very good material properties), and I guess technically PCB's could be considered printed, but no way can they print batteries, displays, or microchips.
They can print batteries, they just don't have the charge level. I've read about "paper" processors - and well this:

In a recent TED Talk, surgeon Anthony Atala printed a prototype human kidney, using living cells and an 3D inkjet printer, onstage. When this happened, TED attendees took note. John Hodgman wrote: “A doctor just literally printed out a human kidney. I hope we are all going to get one in our gift bag.”

From the talk’s description:

Using similar technology, Dr. Atala’s young patient Luke Massella received an engineered bladder 10 years ago; we meet him onstage.

Atala’s talk is a good basic overview of recent work in regenerative medicine. It’s important to note that this work is experimental — this doesn’t mean we’ve got free kidneys for everybody ready today — but it’s an exciting first step (and indeed, the video has a huge text watermark over it at the moment you see the kidney explaining how it’s not ready for primetime). Anyway, Atala starts talking about the kidney starting around the 9:30 mark in the video, and you see it around the 11:00 mark. Note: there’s a high-resolution MP4 version here if you don’t like the tiny video below.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Here are nine jobs that will probably be done by robots in the future. Sportswriter is one of them. It will be so cool when nobody has to work. We can just starve the excess population. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42183592...iness-careers/

So what is the goal here? To end up with people just standing around watching the machines do the work?

I once bought one of my sons an expensive robot that he really, really wanted for Christmas. He played with it for one day and then got bored and never played with it again. Nobody likes to just sit and watch things.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Here are nine jobs that will probably be done by robots in the future. Sportswriter is one of them. It will be so cool when nobody has to work. We can just starve the excess population. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42183592...iness-careers/

So what is the goal here? To end up with people just standing around watching the machines do the work?

I once bought one of my sons an expensive robot that he really, really wanted for Christmas. He played with it for one day and then got bored and never played with it again. Nobody likes to just sit and watch things.
TV?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

What about initial applications? I like the idea of using the social enterprise business space to field test tech, in this case maybe something like this:

A New Chapter: Early Warning Radio Network from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.



Using solar powered radios in the bush makes sense, unless it's raining I guess, but it's still a step forward. Getting mobile communications into remote areas would be easier if functional models of cell phones could be stamped out like ATM cards with embedded communications technology as well as credit/debit banking functions built in. No reason people in the bush can't bank at Chase or citibank.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
What about initial applications? I like the idea of using the social enterprise business space to field test tech, in this case maybe something like this:

A New Chapter: Early Warning Radio Network from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.



Using solar powered radios in the bush makes sense, unless it's raining I guess, but it's still a step forward. Getting mobile communications into remote areas would be easier if functional models of cell phones could be stamped out like ATM cards with embedded communications technology as well as credit/debit banking functions built in. No reason people in the bush can't bank at Chase or citibank.


http://www.brainsturbator.com/articl...rts_in_africa/


In Africa, they already use cellphones for a ton of solutions: banking via SMS, etc.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Here are nine jobs that will probably be done by robots in the future. Sportswriter is one of them. It will be so cool when nobody has to work. We can just starve the excess population. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42183592...iness-careers/

So what is the goal here? To end up with people just standing around watching the machines do the work?

I once bought one of my sons an expensive robot that he really, really wanted for Christmas. He played with it for one day and then got bored and never played with it again. Nobody likes to just sit and watch things.
You will get $40 trillion just by reading this essay and understanding what it says.

An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense “intuitive linear” view. So we won’t experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century — it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today’s rate). The “returns,” such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There’s even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to The Singularity — technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light. http://www.kurzweilai.net/the-law-of...rating-returns
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
You will get $40 trillion just by reading this essay and understanding what it says.

An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense “intuitive linear” view. So we won’t experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century — it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today’s rate). The “returns,” such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There’s even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to The Singularity — technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light. http://www.kurzweilai.net/the-law-of...rating-returns
Ray Kurzweil is very interesting.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
http://www.brainsturbator.com/articl...rts_in_africa/


In Africa, they already use cellphones for a ton of solutions: banking via SMS, etc.
It's the fastest growing cell phone market in the world, which is why something like you saw in that video makes so little sense.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
It's the fastest growing cell phone market in the world, which is why something like you saw in that video makes so little sense.
I didn't see the video yet, but I have been following the "solutions" market in Africa. trying to take what I see working there (obviously not in person...yet) and trying to find ways to take our tech savvy and creativity and solve our problems.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Denver Broncos