The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default SD LB Rips Goodell

San Diego Chargers linebacker Kevin Burnett delivered a verbal hit to Roger Goodell earlier this week, calling the commissioner a "blatant liar" in an interview with a San Diego radio station.

Appearing on XX Sports Radio in San Diego, Burnett ripped Goodell when asked to respond to the commissioner's e-mail to NFL season-ticket holders after the NFL Players Association filed to decertify as a union and the NFL owners locked out the players. In the e-mail Goodell outlined the NFL's final offer that was rejected, saying "it was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players".

"Goodell's full of it. He's a liar. You're a blatant liar. 'It's our league, it's we, we love the players, we want the league,' but what have you done for the players? What have you done, in all honesty, to improve the game, besides fine guys, besides take money away from guys, besides change a game that you've never played? ... He's done nothing to improve the game," Burnett said.

The 28-year-old Burnett, who has six years of NFL experience, also blasted Goodell for the NFL's substance-abuse program.

"If a guy has a drug problem, give him an alternative, don't just say, 'Hey, stop doing drugs. Stamp. Six games.' ... You put them in a drug program," he said. "OK, anybody can stick somebody in a nuthouse, but what else are you doing? What programs are you putting in place?"

He also said that the NFL needs to take care of players outside of football if it wants to punish players for things they do off the field.

"Because they suspend players outside of playing football. Is that their responsibility? No. They want us to be upstanding citizens, but if you want us to be upstanding citizens, you have to understand your role as well," he said. "In my contract, it says nothing about me being an upstanding citizen. ... That's what bothers me."

Burnett said Goodell doesn't measure up to former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who Burnett said was willing to sit down with the players and reach a compromise. He said Goodell essentially represents the owners' interests, not the players'.

He said that players are criticized for holding out but in this case, it's the owners who are doing the same to the players.

"Owners talk about players that hold out of camp and we talk about players who walk out of camp ... well, the owners signed this deal. They signed this deal. Yeah, it was an opt-out, but they signed this deal and now they want money back. Now they're the player that's holding out."

The NFL declined comment when asked by ESPN to respond to Burnett's remarks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6229285
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

So this 28 year old man(?) needs someone to hold the players hands for every problem they have? Try and make the game safer for players and you get the "he's never played" card thrown at you. Substance abuse? Don't go to your club, family or friends, run to daddy in the commissioner's office. Somehow, it's now the NFL's responsibility to make sure they have their butts wiped!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He makes some valid points, especially this one:

Quote:
He also said that the NFL needs to take care of players outside of football if it wants to punish players for things they do off the field.

"Because they suspend players outside of playing football. Is that their responsibility? No. They want us to be upstanding citizens, but if you want us to be upstanding citizens, you have to understand your role as well," he said. "In my contract, it says nothing about me being an upstanding citizen. ... That's what bothers me."
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
So this 28 year old man(?) needs someone to hold the players hands for every problem they have? Try and make the game safer for players and you get the "he's never played" card thrown at you. Substance abuse? Don't go to your club, family or friends, run to daddy in the commissioner's office. Somehow, it's now the NFL's responsibility to make sure they have their butts wiped!
If the league is willing to suspend them for off the field conduct (and there isn't any kind of a clause in their contract stating that they SHOULD be upstanding citizens), then why not have a drug rehabilitation program in place? Seems like it'd be a pretty damn good idea to protect your investments.

Hey, lets give a 20 year old kid 35 million dollars, then say good luck when he starts ****ing up! Great idea!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
schaaf

I could care less what this dip**** thinks.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I agree with him on most of what he said
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I agree except for this.

""Because they suspend players outside of playing football. Is that their responsibility? No. They want us to be upstanding citizens, but if you want us to be upstanding citizens, you have to understand your role as well," he said. "In my contract, it says nothing about me being an upstanding citizen. ... That's what bothers me."

There is a personal conduct code in the standard contract.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Summary:

"I don't like Roger Goodell so instead of focusing on the issue at hand, I will resort to ad hominem attacks about him as a person."

Does that about sum it up? What a child. The players are making themselves look like idiots while the NFL owners aren't saying a thing. I think Charlie Sheen would deem that the owners are definitely "winning" right now from a communications standpoint.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
If the league is willing to suspend them for off the field conduct (and there isn't any kind of a clause in their contract stating that they SHOULD be upstanding citizens), then why not have a drug rehabilitation program in place? Seems like it'd be a pretty damn good idea to protect your investments.

Hey, lets give a 20 year old kid 35 million dollars, then say good luck when he starts ****ing up! Great idea!
Since I didn't say that, I'm not worried about your thoughts.

I just think each individual NFL team should do that (hence my "go to your club" part), but yes, if they aren't going to do that themselves, then the NFL should step in.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Goodell is bad for football. This is just based on the rule changes and his handling of playets though. I wouldn't know if he was lying about the negotiations.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
schaaf

I wouldn't say that, I trust Goodell and he is the LAST person to blame in this situation.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
San Diego Chargers linebacker Kevin Burnett delivered a verbal hit to Roger Goodell earlier this week, calling the commissioner a "blatant liar" in an interview with a San Diego radio station.

Appearing on XX Sports Radio in San Diego, Burnett ripped Goodell when asked to respond to the commissioner's e-mail to NFL season-ticket holders after the NFL Players Association filed to decertify as a union and the NFL owners locked out the players. In the e-mail Goodell outlined the NFL's final offer that was rejected, saying "it was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players".

"Goodell's full of it. He's a liar. You're a blatant liar. 'It's our league, it's we, we love the players, we want the league,' but what have you done for the players? What have you done, in all honesty, to improve the game, besides fine guys, besides take money away from guys, besides change a game that you've never played? ... He's done nothing to improve the game," Burnett said.
Highest ratings ever, higher salary cap=more money in players pocket. Cracking down on defensless players, longer careers=more money, better quality of life after retirement. Better enforecement after concussions....just off the top of my head.
Quote:
The 28-year-old Burnett, who has six years of NFL experience, also blasted Goodell for the NFL's substance-abuse program.

"If a guy has a drug problem, give him an alternative, don't just say, 'Hey, stop doing drugs. Stamp. Six games.' ... You put them in a drug program," he said. "OK, anybody can stick somebody in a nuthouse, but what else are you doing? What programs are you putting in place?"
suspension only after 2nd offense correct? plus enrollment into the drug program. Help is there if you want help, but short of assigning every player a person to shadow the palyer, you cant help someone who doesn't want it. I doubt he wants big brother by his side at all times.
Quote:

The league goes out of its way from my perspective. 24hr limo's standing by for use at any time, no questions asked. Things are available. besides, the league doesn't require "upstanding citizens" it simply asks that you don't do anything illegal. As long as you are a law abiding citizen and no giving the league a black eye, every thing is fine. Is it really that hard?
Quote:
Burnett said Goodell doesn't measure up to former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who Burnett said was willing to sit down with the players and reach a compromise. He said Goodell essentially represents the owners' interests, not the players'.

He said that players are criticized for holding out but in this case, it's the owners who are doing the same to the players.

"Owners talk about players that hold out of camp and we talk about players who walk out of camp ... well, the owners signed this deal. They signed this deal. Yeah, it was an opt-out, but they signed this deal and now they want money back. Now they're the player that's holding out."

Bitter apples IMO
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Burnett needs to zip his lip-so many NFL Players are making fools of themselves, and he's the latest. If a Player can't figure out that he is a role model he doesn't need to be playing-apparently, Burnett didn't get the Memo. Do you think you are going to be paid Millions without any responsibility whatsoever? Give me a break. There is a little kid out there who idolizes you Burnett-man up.

There are some things that I don't agree with in the CBA (for the Players)-one is the types of Health Insurance offered, two is that they don't get adequate care after they retire. There are ohters-

I do believe, however, that the Owners screwed themselves (with the help of Gene Upshaw) the last time, and find themselves in a tough spot-

The thing that gets me is the insistence of "seeing the Books"-it is none of the NFLPA's business, and the Owners were right in fighting it-truth is, they get paid a percentage of the profits anyway, so use a Calculator.

I hope the Onwers win this, and have the humanity to help the retired Players and address the Health care issue-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I could care less what this dip**** thinks.

I agree Goodell or Goddell like I like to call him is a dip**** dictatorial type CEO. Never played the game, didnt know that. CEOs that have gotten their hands dirty and actually done a little work seem to understand that you have to compromise with your workforce and treat them with respect.

Those that have never done the job they manage act like ..well Goodell.................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

This is faulty reasoning.

In other news my 5 year old just gave me a good talking to.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:

Comparing players holding out with a valid contract to a contract that has an opt-out clause built in for both sides that was exercised...is ridiculous.

Between comments like this and the slavery comments it would be better if players just shut their pie holes.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I think he has ground in his whole Goodell shouldn't be sending letters telling the players to re-certify and get a deal done, that what the owners offered was fair, etc.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

The NFL needs to tell that slave to STFU!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
I agree Goodell or Goddell like I like to call him is a dip**** dictatorial type CEO. Never played the game, didnt know that. CEOs that have gotten their hands dirty and actually done a little work seem to understand that you have to compromise with your workforce and treat them with respect.

Those that have never done the job they manage act like ..well Goodell.................
NFL Players are treated better than any other employee in America! Don't you even try and give me that ****.

Demaurice Smith ran track and is a lawyer, that is it. Goodell was the captain of his high school teams in all three sports (football, basketball, and track) and named the Athlete of the Year for his high school. Injuries kept him from playing College football. That doesn't count as never playing the game.

His career began in the NFL in 1982. I think he knows a little more than Burnett and he needs to shut his damn mouth before he makes an idiot of himself,.... oh wait

Last edited by schaaf; 03-18-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Players need to shut their traps, especially after the Adrian Peterson fiasco.

They're just pissing off more and more fans with each moronic comment.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
bombay
Ring of Famer

Good. Screw goodell.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Who will be the next dipshyt to spout off some stupid shyt
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As to the drug program and multiple chances I will just refer to Steve Howe.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #24
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
Summary:

"I don't like Roger Goodell so instead of focusing on the issue at hand, I will resort to ad hominem attacks about him as a person."

Does that about sum it up? What a child. The players are making themselves look like idiots while the NFL owners aren't saying a thing. I think Charlie Sheen would deem that the owners are definitely "winning" right now from a communications standpoint.
Exactly. Any player who ever goes to the "you never played" cards are generally the ones who have nothing intelligent to say.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #25
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

It was a nice rant by this player.

Here's the salient point out of that rant:

" . . . well, the owners signed this deal. They signed this deal. Yeah, it was an opt-out, but they signed this deal and now they want money back."

That's the big deal. The owners want about 5-8% extra off the top to cover their increased overhead.

The owners pay for the medical coverage, which has gone up steeply. The owners pay for the charter flights, which has gone up steeply.

I have to say a 5-8% extra cut of the gross the owners are asking for is fair. I see the NFLPA talk about that 5-8% in terms of $$$$ ($500 mil - $800 mil per year), but the point is it's only 5-8% of the gross.

It's the percentage that counts, not the total $$$$. The cost of doing business for the owners has gone up pretty significantly the past 5 years.

And, the owners are still gonna give the players that 59.5% of gross after the overhead adjustment. That's still a pretty dang good deal for the players. Plus, the owners have offered to increase the amount they contribute to the pension fund and long-term healthcare, reduced contact in practices, reduce minicamp participation.

The players are hung up on the "giveback" meme and are losing sight of what a good deal they're being offered in the real world.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote