The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Ohio State's Jim Tressel sacks himself for three games

Any ideas as to what's behind his strategy here? He looks like a douche going into this, but now he's adding three weeks to his own suspension, so...is this a PR move, a move to capture the team's hearts in an us-against-the-world thing...or is he just an upstanding character guy who is really remorseful?

Discuss...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...rn=ncaaf-wp146
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

It is strictly a PR move. Nothing more. What he did was wrong and he should be punished. This is his/universities self imposed punishment, I expect the NCAA will add to it. As a fan of OSU, I never believed they were completely clean ( I don't think any program is and it is damn near impossible to be with boosters and various other individuals involved), but I thought Tressel was a good man and I was wrong. What I do find comical is ESPN going crazy about kids selling trophies that they won in order to get tattoos and there doesn't seem to be too much movement on the Oregon/Auburn stories. It makes it damn tough to enjoy NCAA football.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Good news for CU.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I hate sweater vests almost as much as I hate hoodies with the sleeves cut off.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I hate sweater vests almost as much as I hate hoodies with the sleeves cut off.
Have you notice Belichick's hoodies have a "BB" on them as if it wasn't obvisouly his?
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Good news for CU.
Only five players and the head coach will be out. Not the whole team.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I heard it was 5 games.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I heard it was 5 games.
Original penalty was 2 games, and he added 3 more to it.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
JPPT1974
Merry Christmas!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning!

This is a shock but Tressel despite what has happened. Seems to be a moral and upstanding guy. And sounds like, he is taking full responsibility. As most players and coaches wouldn't do that. As they would blame others except themselves.
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Kind of reminds me of Mayberry when Otis, the town drunk, would come to the county jail and lock himself up.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Tressel adding three games just underscores how much of a joke the original "punishment" was and how obvious it is that the entire athletic program at OSU is a slave to whatever Tressel wants.

He thought his wholesome reputation would let him skate with something as measly as two games and a big dollar fine (less than 1/12th of his annual multi-million dollar salary) when it is obvious that he kept it under wraps because he thought he was in a title run last year. Now that five of his best players are out for the first five games he knows his season is shot so he's trying to get one big "my bad yo" out in a down year without losing scholarships and recruiting time.

Seems very unlikely to happen if you ask me. I'd expect the NCAA to drop the hammer on him and OSU because, as previously mentioned, its obvious this was an attempt to win now and pay later for violations he knew were going on. Far worse than what Carrol and co were found guilty of at USC. Handled far worse than Bruce Pearl with Tennessee basketball (and he's probably getting canned any day now). Its a perfect setup for the NCAA to give out something of the "send a message" magnitude.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Tressel adding three games just underscores how much of a joke the original "punishment" was and how obvious it is that the entire athletic program at OSU is a slave to whatever Tressel wants.

He thought his wholesome reputation would let him skate with something as measly as two games and a big dollar fine (less than 1/12th of his annual multi-million dollar salary) when it is obvious that he kept it under wraps because he thought he was in a title run last year. Now that five of his best players are out for the first five games he knows his season is shot so he's trying to get one big "my bad yo" out in a down year without losing scholarships and recruiting time.

Seems very unlikely to happen if you ask me. I'd expect the NCAA to drop the hammer on him and OSU because, as previously mentioned, its obvious this was an attempt to win now and pay later for violations he knew were going on. Far worse than what Carrol and co were found guilty of at USC. Handled far worse than Bruce Pearl with Tennessee basketball (and he's probably getting canned any day now). Its a perfect setup for the NCAA to give out something of the "send a message" magnitude.
Curious as to why you believe this.