The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default So, we are one step closer to Flag Football

My apologies if this has already been posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6223700

You can read through it, but this is the money shot of the article:

Rules defining a defenseless player will be expanded and now will include eight categories:

•A quarterback in the act of throwing;

• A receiver trying to catch a pass;

• A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped;

• A player fielding a punt or a kickoff;

• A kicker or punter during the kick;

• A quarterback at any time after change of possession;

• A receiver who receives a blind-side block;

• A player already on the ground.

I wonder if that last rule will be regularly enforced as the players who tend to get hit the most while on the ground are members of the defensive front 7 who have been blocked to the ground and thanks to the Brady Rule must now regain their feet before they are allowed to hit the Quarterback.

Last edited by v2micca; 03-17-2011 at 06:40 AM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Does that mean you can only hit the QB if he's not attempting to throw the ball? How is that even possible?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

• A player fielding a punt or a kickoff;

Honestly, that one irks me the most. That's why we have the fair-catch rule.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Is it April 1st already? Gotta be a joke, right?
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

From the article, it says they may move the kickoff back to the 35 yd line. If we have any semblance of an offense this year, Matt Prater will set a record for freaking touchbacks.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Does that mean you can only hit the QB if he's not attempting to throw the ball? How is that even possible?
Any QB who's good at pump fakes (Big Ben for sure) could take serious advantage of this one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Why even wear pads anymore if this is true? Just give them the same skirts the cheerleaders wear and get it over with..what a joke!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
uk bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

Now a quarterback in the act of throwing cant be hit WTF. How are you going to stop someone taking down a QB cos they are in the act of throwing. Does the D player just have to stop and stand there while the QB throws. What if he pump fakes then runs. Bull**** rule

A WR trying to catch a pass, wow its like they are trying to take anything from the D they can use against passing. First they bring in the 5 yard bump rule now this. Whats next a defensive player can only tackle a WR using one arm.

A runner who's forward progress has been stopped. So now a defensive player must stand there and go wow his forward progression has been stopped i cant hit him. Oh no he's broken free and scored a touchdown while i was writing an entry in my Diary about my feelings. Thats what the refs have a whistle for if he's stopped blow the whistle play stops anyone who hits the runner after that its a late hit. Cant wait to see the arguements coming from the first time this one's broken.

I have no issue with not hitting players trying to field a kick or punting/kicking or while they are on the ground this is actually sensible. Except if a player is down but has not been downed by contact so you cant touch him down and kill the play until he has stood up again

A QB after a change in posession. Can the QB still make a tackle? Yes. is this rule bull****? Yes. How can a player be allowed to make a tackle but you're not allowed to block him. Absolute bull****

This on top of the holdout is why the NFL sucks. It is as Warren said the "No fun league" I hope USFL really takes off and the pussification of the NFL can stop.
uk bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

If they want to say they are going to protect defenseless players, like people catching a ball, kicking a punt, or throwing a ball, fine.

The whole special set of rules for a QB is disgusting. Especially when a QB takes off running. They are allowed to slide? WTF for? They are no longer a QB at that point, they chose to become a running back. It must be hard for a linebacker or a safety in the NFL to run full speed at a guy like Vick or even Tebow. Is there a moment of doubt about hitting the guy?
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

I just wonder at times if these rules begin to become counter productive in ensuring player safety. I mean at some point, does a defender's thought process change from "I have to make a play on this guy" to "If I'm going to end up missing a couple of games for this play anyway, I'm damn well going to make certain he misses the next couple of games too"
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

What happens if a runner lands on top of a player is the rest of the defense supposed to stand there and watch as he regains momentum and runs past them

What about defenders getting blindsided with blocks out of nowhere ala McCaffery block in the superbowl
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

This is really getting out of hand. For anyone who played football "the big hit" was something that we always looked forward to. We had a snot bubble game award in HS that was probably more coveted then the game MVP. The NFL is not going to be recognizable in a few years. We were always coached to be physical, get in all the legal shots you could and make them think twice before coming at you again. Nothing dirty but make your presence known. I am not sure how I would coach that anymore in the NFL. Between this and the lockout I am having a very hard time getting excited about pro football.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Any QB who's good at pump fakes (Big Ben for sure) could take serious advantage of this one.
It eliminates probably half the sacks in the league, and so much for forced fumbles. It will be really interesting to see how they regulate this one. It's going to be such a judgement call.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Not being allowed to hit a QB in the act of throwing is beyond ridiculous.

Good news for Tebow and his extra long motion though.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Did anyone actually read the article? He isn't saying they are making all those instances defenseless. They are saying they are going to clarify or expand the rules around those circumstances. Let's wait and read something official on this after the committee finalizes things before we freak out.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
Meck77
Google Blows

Did soccer just over take the NFL as "Real football"?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I just heard on ESPN that Fairley has been preemptively suspended for his first four games.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

I can't even see how this could be real (even if it is). Not being able to hit the QB while they throw is insane...we're going to see pump fake's non stop to draw penalties. On top of this, if a QB if feeling pressure now they can throw the ball and all the defenders in persuite have to stop. WTF? This is bull****. ****ing p***y ass league.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Did soccer just over take the NFL as "Real football"?
I would rather meet Ray Lewis and his bigger more sinister brother with the cannibalistic tendencies in a dark alley than this girl, she would jack up our entire offensive front like a boss.

gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Did anyone actually read the article? He isn't saying they are making all those instances defenseless. They are saying they are going to clarify or expand the rules around those circumstances. Let's wait and read something official on this after the committee finalizes things before we freak out.
Wow. A reasonable perspective on the 'Mane.

Kaylore, you know that's not allowed, right? You're supposed to be setting your hair on fire while jumping up and down screaming and beating your chest and grabbing your "junk" (but only in a manly way). Get it right, wouldja?
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #21
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Dude we should just have kept McDaniels... the way it's going, defense is going to be irrelevant.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would rather meet Ray Lewis and his bigger more sinister brother with the cannibalistic tendencies in a dark alley than this girl, she would jack up our entire offensive front like a boss.

That's just some good clean fun right there...

Broncos need her at MLB...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Boomhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Poppycock! There'll be none of your 'reasoning' here smarty pants. I'm switching to UFL and LFL because of this thread and hope Bowlen and the Broncos follow once the 2011 NFL season is canceled.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That's just some good clean fun right there...

Broncos need her at MLB...
Hahah @ :45

The Broncos could have used her against Polamalu in 2009.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

These only apply to hits to the head and neck. In fact, these definitions change almost nothing, they just properly define a defenseless player. A defender wasn't able to hit a QB in the head before, this doesn't change that.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote