The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Default Espn Fab Five ... anyone watching ?

Thoughts ?
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
schaaf

I'm watching it, the thing that still surprises me is that the majority of them went on to have very successful pro careers.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The NCAA sucks.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

That part about the full story of "the time out" was crazy.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
AmericanBroncFan

Just like back then. A lot of HYPE about a team that never won a damn thing. They remind me of the chuggers. All hype with NOTHING to back it up
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Pretty good stuff...amazing the amount of hatred the alumni from Michigan had against those guys. Pretty sad the timeout part wad intense, couldn't even IMAGINE how you'd feel after an eff up that big
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'm watching it now. Like it was just said, a lot of hype for a team that never won.

I don't feel bad for them or Weber. Seeing that three of them became multimillionaires and at least Weber was getting paid while in college. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for them.

Actually, I think people make too much of a big deal out of the Fab 5. They never won anything.

HBO is showing Runnin' Rebels of UNLV tonight. That was an amazing team back in 1990. I think I'll watch that.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Uncle Bill
Solid Starter

I thought it was pretty good. I don't much care for ESPN, mostly b/c they over-sensationalize everything on sports center. They usually nail their documentary stuff, though (the 30 for 30 series was great), and this was no different...

Regardless of whether or not they "won anything", the definitely made their mark...
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

I found it interesting, wish Webber would had commented.
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
That part about the full story of "the time out" was crazy.
It was said at the time that if you got the UNC marked credit card that year, it had a picture Chris Webber calling time out.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

One point that was made, which annoys me, was the point of paying college athletes. Michigan, Nike, and others, made a lot of money off of the Fab 5, and they complained about being broke college students.

I'm am 100% against paying college students. Rose, Weber, and Howard were put on a stage, at no charge to them, and given free personal training that helped them become multimillionaires.

Back then skipping college wasn't the norm. The road to the NBA was by playing college basketball. And it was free for those players. Everything was free. Without the NCAA, those players wouldn't have become multimillionaires. So I don't think that the players are being taken advantage of. If they feel that they are being taken advantage of, then don't go play college sports. Sit out a year and then go to the NBA, or if you're a football player, sit out three years and then go to the NFL (good luck with that one).
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

watched 5 minutes and it was a waste of my time. Championship? No.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

i think people are missing the point if they think the fab 5 would only be relevant if they won.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
One point that was made, which annoys me, was the point of paying college athletes. Michigan, Nike, and others, made a lot of money off of the Fab 5, and they complained about being broke college students.

I'm am 100% against paying college students. Rose, Weber, and Howard were put on a stage, at no charge to them, and given free personal training that helped them become multimillionaires.

Back then skipping college wasn't the norm. The road to the NBA was by playing college basketball. And it was free for those players. Everything was free. Without the NCAA, those players wouldn't have become multimillionaires. So I don't think that the players are being taken advantage of. If they feel that they are being taken advantage of, then don't go play college sports. Sit out a year and then go to the NBA, or if you're a football player, sit out three years and then go to the NFL (good luck with that one).
Your point is valid for about 10% of the cast. How would you feel as Ivan Douglas, Bryce Bishop or Brandon Joe blocking for Maurice Clarett? Neither went on to the NFL, but think of how much cash that National Championship team brought in to the school.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
i think people are missing the point if they think the fab 5 would only be relevant if they won.
It is interesting that the Fab 5 became more than a basketball team, they were a part of pop culture.

I guess I, and others, don't put much value on that. It's about winning titles.

Thinking back to that era, late 80s and early 90s, the Niners and Cowboys were winning titles. The Showtime Lakers and Bird's Celtics had just given way to Jordan's Bulls, and the Piston's Bad Boys were in there. Miami was hot in college football. The Oakland A's had the Bash Brothers and Ricky Henderson.

There was so much greatness in sports, it's hard to champion the Fab 5. Okay, they made wearing black socks and longer shorts popular.

I'm watching the HBO special on UNLV. That 1990 team was pretty much the same as the Fab 5. Same culture, same image. But UNLV won the title, in blowout fashion. The Fab 5 didn't.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Your point is valid for about 10% of the cast. How would you feel as Ivan Douglas, Bryce Bishop or Brandon Joe blocking for Maurice Clarett? Neither went on to the NFL, but think of how much cash that National Championship team brought in to the school.
They received a free education and lived off of the university for free while they were there. I'd say that's payment enough.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #17
broncofan4life
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
i think its very relevant no they didn't win but they changed the culture of basketball fashion long shorts, black socks and black shoes. Very well done by ESPN
broncofan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's Ohio State. There's a rebuttable presumption that there were impermissible benefits provided even to those players. Tressel has always been a snake in nice clothing, even at Youngstown State.

Oh...and they didn't bring the National Championship* to the school. Terry Porter did.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
They received a free education and lived off of the university for free while they were there. I'd say that's payment enough.
Sorry but Spike Lee was right in calling the NCAA (and or the schools of the NCAA) a bunch of pimps. In the University of Michigans eyes, Jalen Rose was at their school to make revenue for the school playing basketball. That was his central purpose for being there in their eyes. If Jalen Rose couldnt play basketball, its questionable that most of these guys would have been there. And Michigan is going to have classes whether Jalen Rose is on the basketball team or not. Its not as though Michigan is doing something by letting him in a class that they werent doing anyway. So pretending they're giving him something by letting him attend class doesnt work.

But while I think the athletes should be paid, Im not very sympathetic to Chris Webber.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 03-14-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #20
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Sorry but Spike Lee was right in calling the NCAA (and or the schools of the NCAA) a bunch of pimps. In the University of Michigans eyes, Jalen Rose was at their school to make revenue for the school playing basketball. That was his central purpose for being there in their eyes. If Jalen Rose couldnt play basketball, its questionable that most of these guys would have been there. And Michigan is going to have classes whether Jalen Rose is on the basketball team or not. Its not as though Michigan is doing something by letting him in a class that they werent doing anyway. So pretending they're giving him something by letting him attend class doesnt work.

But while I think the athletes should be paid, Im not very sympathetic to Chris Webber.
Michigan, and the NCAA, put Jalen Rose on a stage that led him to having a multimillion dollar career. If he didn't make it, then he would have had an opportunity to get a degree for free, which would have allowed him to get a good job after college (if a player doesn't take advantage of that then it's on him).

Lets see Jalen pay for the training he got, his room and board, the travel expenses, the TV time. He got all that for free. He had a sweet deal.

Paying athletes just won't work. If you pay one, then you have to pay them all. That means paying the water polo player, and you know Title IX means paying all the female athletes, and paying them all equal. The back up catcher on the softball team makes as much as the starting QB.

That's so not going to work.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #21
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Its not as though Michigan is doing something by letting him in a class that they werent doing anyway. So pretending they're giving him something by letting him attend class doesnt work.
This is pretty ridiculous. Did you go to college for free?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #22
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

ok...i realize I'm opening Pandora's Box here....

but did anyone have the feeling that Jalen Rose came off as a racist prick?
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #23
Shananahan

I think racist is the wrong word, especially considering most of the comments you could take out of context from him were about other and specific types of black people. I got the sense that he was mainly just trying to convey the opinions and attitude he had at the time, and I thought his honesty was great for the show. He said some negative things about some people like Grant Hill, but he also tried to explain why he felt those things and made a point of saying that it wasn't personal.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #24
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
This is pretty ridiculous. Did you go to college for free?
Thats not really even relevant if I didn't play a sport that generated massive revenue.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Michigan, and the NCAA, put Jalen Rose on a stage that led him to having a multimillion dollar career. If he didn't make it, then he would have had an opportunity to get a degree for free, which would have allowed him to get a good job after college (if a player doesn't take advantage of that then it's on him).

Lets see Jalen pay for the training he got, his room and board, the travel expenses, the TV time. He got all that for free. He had a sweet deal.

Paying athletes just won't work. If you pay one, then you have to pay them all. That means paying the water polo player, and you know Title IX means paying all the female athletes, and paying them all equal. The back up catcher on the softball team makes as much as the starting QB.

That's so not going to work.
It wouldnt have been for free. He was allowed to sit in classes that Michigan would have had anyway while he was participating in a sport that generated massive revenue for the school. Generating revenue was the condition of being able to be in Michigan's classrooms.

And the whole notion of how much the education is worth is a little silly. Again, they would have held the class anyway and also Michigan charges whatever they want. What that really points to is how overpriced college is.

No, it doesnt mean paying the backup catcher. Once you start paying players, its questionable whether the NCAA and by extension, Title IX would even apply.