The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Transparency to new level: Broncos willing to open books

per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-their-books/
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer
 
Missouribronc's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,671

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

They are full of ****.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,501
Default

NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

This is some pathetic analysis here:

"We still don’t know why any of this would make an owner “angry,” apart from the fact that some really rich people are very accustomed to getting their way, and they get “angry” on those rare occasions when they don’t."

So this is the best analysis that guy can come up with? "Owners are mad because they dont want to give up money"...that's some deep insight there!

Maybe he'll come at us with another gem along these lines: "Players are mad because they dont want to give up money".
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Too little, too late. I'm not sure if Hillis will ever be able to read.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Josh McDaniels was very bad for business. Remember that while general seats were sold out - and revenue shared - luxury seats were neither, and significantly lower now then they were two years ago.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Josh McDaniels was very bad for business. Remember that while general seats were sold out - and revenue shared - luxury seats were neither, and significantly lower now then they were two years ago.
The luxury boxes have never sold out
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The luxury boxes have never sold out
dont let facts get in the way of this argument.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 37,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I look forward to the day when we never have to read Joe Ellis quotes anymore.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I look forward to the day when we never have to read Joe Ellis quotes anymore.
Ya I don't like him either, just don't!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I look forward to the day when we never have to read Joe Ellis quotes anymore.
Its weird. No question.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,723
Default

McDaniels was a loser though, that's a fact.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
McDaniels was a loser though, that's a fact.
He's clearly bi-winning.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
"This is about the costs of player compensation, stadium operations and game promotions increasing at a far greater rate than owner profitability."

So costs are outpacing profits huh? Welcome to the real world boys, the one where a lot of people these days can't afford $250 tickets, $60 parking and $5 bottled water to watch a game they can watch for free on the boob tube.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
CEH
Ring of Famer
 
CEH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,327
Default

If the league decides they want to open up the books of the Denver Broncos to present them to the union — I don't know if the league is into identifying individual clubs because they're private businesses," Ellis said. "But with a neutral (auditor) to verify the fact that certain teams haven't been operating as effectively as they did in the past, we're a willing and able participant.'

The fact Denver want to open its books to me verifies that Bowlen has financial issues when it comes to operating and competing with other owners in the league

Is he poor/broke? No but in relationship to the other owners sounds like he is in some sort of trouble

This has been my stance on Bowlen for a while now backed up with his willingness to go public
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
He's clearly bi-winning.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
teknic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I see the dispute between the owners and players being caused by the fact that some owners not being able to generate enough profit to be competitive, while some owners can turn very large profits without much effort.

The NFL offers that many individual team revenues have fallen under the current CBA, and some owners are willing to open their books to facilitate a new deal. The reality is that there are many different reasons for a decline in revenues and profit margins, including paying off new stadium leases, losing teams tend to get smaller TV contracts and fewer prime time games, poor performance teams sell less merchandise, etc.

The single largest contribution to a team's revenue results from making the playoffs, so my take on the current problem is that the CBA had allowed salaries of players, especially first round picks, to escalate to the point that teams that finish in the bottom third of the league have trouble paying them the salaries they ask for. The problem is that the teams that finish in the top third of the league and make the playoffs regularly are still making huge profits compared to the lower tier teams and are able to spend to the cap every season. So for every team losing money like the Jags, the players can point to a team doing exceedingly well like the Cowboys.

I suggest a few compromises to resolve the situation and get football season going again!

-Forget about the 18 game season, at least for now. I personally do not want an 18 game season, but the players are dead set against it and it's not worth the time to discuss when there are bigger issues. The owners have admitted that the current preseason system isn't ideal, so I suggest following other leagues and reducing the price of preseason game tickets. Set preseason tickets to 60% of the cost of regular tickets and you suddenly gain a whole new demographic to market to. When more people can afford to go to games, that's a good thing for individual teams, as well as the NFL as a whole. You'd have to think 40,000 people attending a preseason game for 60% of the full price and buying food and merchandise is a better scenario than pretty much just season ticket holders, or the people they gave their tickets to, attending the games. Also, how about we add a bye week at the end of the season for all playoff teams. Players are beat-up by the end of the season and would love to have that week off (you'll see why I mention this later.)

-The current CBA clearly creates an environment where the rich get richer and the poor struggle to generate the revenues to remain competitive. I do not think revenue sharing is the answer, that just fosters a less competitive market in the long run. I suggest a change to the current playoff system in the NFL to increase revenue for the league. While I do like the current playoff system, I think an 8 seeds per conference system would be great too. No teams get an automatic bye, so the chance for upsets increase. With the additional bye week at the end of the season, it helps maintain a fair playing field in the playoffs. Selling those extra playoff games to the networks would generate enough revenue for the league to accommodate most of the players' demands. This little change would create 4 new playoff games to 15 from the current system that has 11. Offer the players 50% of the revenue generated under this increased revenue system as the salary floor, and I think that would be fair for both sides. This also makes it easier for a deserving team to make the playoffs. The past couple of years, a couple teams missed by the tiebreaker, or one game, when they easily deserved to be there over a team that made it.

-To offset a fixed rookie-compensation system, increase the veteran minimum and invest in future medical insurance for players and retired players.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Josh McDaniels was very bad for business.
Damn those Tebow jersey & ticket sales!!!

When it's all said and done....Josh McDaniels will be responsible for a huge amount revenue for the Denver Broncos.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #19
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Damn those Tebow jersey & ticket sales!!!

When it's all said and done....Josh McDaniels will be responsible for a huge amount revenue for the Denver Broncos.
He already has been.

Tebow sold a ton of jerseys last year.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The luxury boxes have never sold out
He never claimed they were, he just claimed they were not selling as well now as before.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,528
Default

Ellis furious over union's actions


http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17603586
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
I see the dispute between the owners and players being caused by the fact that some owners not being able to generate enough profit to be competitive, while some owners can turn very large profits without much effort.

The NFL offers that many individual team revenues have fallen under the current CBA, and some owners are willing to open their books to facilitate a new deal. The reality is that there are many different reasons for a decline in revenues and profit margins, including paying off new stadium leases, losing teams tend to get smaller TV contracts and fewer prime time games, poor performance teams sell less merchandise, etc.

The single largest contribution to a team's revenue results from making the playoffs, so my take on the current problem is that the CBA had allowed salaries of players, especially first round picks, to escalate to the point that teams that finish in the bottom third of the league have trouble paying them the salaries they ask for. The problem is that the teams that finish in the top third of the league and make the playoffs regularly are still making huge profits compared to the lower tier teams and are able to spend to the cap every season. So for every team losing money like the Jags, the players can point to a team doing exceedingly well like the Cowboys.

I suggest a few compromises to resolve the situation and get football season going again!

-Forget about the 18 game season, at least for now. I personally do not want an 18 game season, but the players are dead set against it and it's not worth the time to discuss when there are bigger issues. The owners have admitted that the current preseason system isn't ideal, so I suggest following other leagues and reducing the price of preseason game tickets. Set preseason tickets to 60% of the cost of regular tickets and you suddenly gain a whole new demographic to market to. When more people can afford to go to games, that's a good thing for individual teams, as well as the NFL as a whole. You'd have to think 40,000 people attending a preseason game for 60% of the full price and buying food and merchandise is a better scenario than pretty much just season ticket holders, or the people they gave their tickets to, attending the games. Also, how about we add a bye week at the end of the season for all playoff teams. Players are beat-up by the end of the season and would love to have that week off (you'll see why I mention this later.)

-The current CBA clearly creates an environment where the rich get richer and the poor struggle to generate the revenues to remain competitive. I do not think revenue sharing is the answer, that just fosters a less competitive market in the long run. I suggest a change to the current playoff system in the NFL to increase revenue for the league. While I do like the current playoff system, I think an 8 seeds per conference system would be great too. No teams get an automatic bye, so the chance for upsets increase. With the additional bye week at the end of the season, it helps maintain a fair playing field in the playoffs. Selling those extra playoff games to the networks would generate enough revenue for the league to accommodate most of the players' demands. This little change would create 4 new playoff games to 15 from the current system that has 11. Offer the players 50% of the revenue generated under this increased revenue system as the salary floor, and I think that would be fair for both sides. This also makes it easier for a deserving team to make the playoffs. The past couple of years, a couple teams missed by the tiebreaker, or one game, when they easily deserved to be there over a team that made it.

-To offset a fixed rookie-compensation system, increase the veteran minimum and invest in future medical insurance for players and retired players.
Team revenues have only gone up, for every team in the league. The salary cap is revenue driven and it has increased by more than 30% over the life of the expired salary cap.

More than 50% of the leagues revenue come from national tv deals and sponsorships which are shared league wide.

An early round playoff game generates maybe 20-30 million dollars in league revenue, adding 4 more of those is not going to really move anything.

The reason teams are become less profitable now than they were is down to it becoming more difficult to lure people out to spend 100+ dollars on a ticket and 10+ dollars on 1 dollar concession items. The league has been spending a lot more on advertising and marketing over the last few years than they ever did before, this is partly attributable to the ever skyrocketing ticket prices and partly due to external financial circumstances. Sale of high priced luxury boxes, luxury seats and sponsorship packages are also well down and with an increasing number of local media blackouts the secondary media revenue is down. These are all things that are not shared or only subject to limited revenue sharing which means that small market teams will be hit very hard.

With new stadiums going up in New York, Dallas, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Detroit over the last few years stadium rental and expenses have also gone up substantially.

I believe a big reason the players bristled so hard at the owners proposal was that it required them to work more for less, which is a big ask and when the owners were not prepared to back up their claims that it was bleak times right away I think the players got into the mindset that the owners wouldn't be able to move far enough.

If negotiations had begun a year ago, or even 6 months ago there would have been time to review this financial information and find a level of disclosure that would satisfy the players representatives, but given the time constraints here I think it was impossible for the players reps to look into the numbers, determine if they were really telling the whole story and if so how much the players would be willing to move on that basis. The fact that negotiations only really went on for about 2 weeks before the deadline was fatal to the chances of reaching an agreement.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,528
Default

League releases details of proposal that union didn't accept

Quote:
After 16 days of mediated talks, the NFL and the NFL Players Association couldn't reach an agreement on a new labor deal. The league released what it described as a summary of its proposal to the union:

1. We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the union's proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).

2. An entry-level compensation system based on the union's "rookie cap" proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs. Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today. Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.

3. A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player's salary for the contract year after his injury, the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multiyear injury guarantee.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
I don't wanna know how broke Pat is... I'm already ticked about the lock out...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,528
Default

Jerry Jones seems optimistic despite litigation

"The answer is, we’ll get it done," Jones told reporters. "The answer is, we won’t miss any football. Certainly, that is our goal. Their move into litigation will ultimately result in going right back into negotiation, in our view."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ll-get-it-done
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vickerson signed long term tsiguy96 Orange Mane Central Discussion 39 03-05-2011 07:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Denver Broncos