The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default "It's All Over, Fat Man!": Old Article About Von Miller...

As a small digression, it's worth pointing out that in order to run these types of blitzes, having fast linebackers and penetrating linemen is a must. I think this bodes quite well for Wesley Woodyard, who seems to be exactly the type of linebacker that would fit well in this scheme. In addition, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Broncos decided to select linebacker Von Miller out of Texas A&M at #2. Teaming Miller with DJ Williams (not my favorite, but still an above average linebacker in space) and Woodyard would immediately provide a linebacking corps that could execute the type of play we've seen here. Stopping the run could still be an issue, but we'll leave that subject for next week.

This is the last paragraph of the article, posted here:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...overload-blitz

Last edited by listopencil; 04-28-2011 at 07:37 PM..
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
meangene
Ring of Famer

Love those "fat man" articles! I would not be at all surprised if we end up with Miller at #2 and a LB group of Woodyard, Williams and Miller. I don't know that Peterson is a great fit for our defense since he is really much better in man than zone. Fairley's skills seem like a better fit than Dareus' skills also. Not saying, necessarily, that Miller or Fairley are better players - just better fits. With Fairley's character issues, Miller would seem to be the guy. Just a hunch.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

I'm warming to the idea of picking Miller up, but I would be pissed if they do it with the #2 pick. An SLB just isn't worth that high of a pick and I really don't like the idea of picking a guy at #2 to change his position from a DE to a 4-3 SAM. If they trade down and Dareus, PP, Bowers and Fairley are gone when they pick then I'd be excited about having Miller on the team. I just don't think he is as elite a prospect at as important a position as the other guys I listed.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I know, I'm not all that excited about grabbing an OLB in a 4-3 with the #2 overall pick.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I know, I'm not all that excited about grabbing an OLB in a 4-3 with the #2 overall pick.
but you're not thinking outside the box. He's not going to be used in the general role of 4-3 weakside. Youre gonna see him put a hand down and rush the passer...it would be an expanded role
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
but you're not thinking outside the box. He's not going to be used in the general role of 4-3 weakside. Youre gonna see him put a hand down and rush the passer...it would be an expanded role
This. And, according to an interview I saw with him, he dropped 40% of the time last year and more the year before. So, he has more experience in coverage than many realize.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

At 2 yuck trade down first please if true
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
meangene
Ring of Famer

Miller had a nice pro day:

Notebook: A&M's Miller reinforces top-five status
NFLDraftScout.com
March 9, 2011

Texas A&M

Von Miller didn't need to run the 40-yard dash. NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2-ranked prospect -- behind LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson -- had done enough at the combine to support his outstanding career at Texas A&M and solidify his status as a likely top-five pick.

But run he did. Miller posted a 4.49 40-yard dash at his indoor workout on FieldTurf at the Texas A&M practice facility in College Station. Miller had clocked times on handheld stopwatches ranging from 4.42 to 4.54 at the combine.

That puts him in an elite class of linebackers that includes former first-round picks such as Patrick Willis and Brian Urlacher. Urlacher was clocked in 4.57 seconds at his private workout with the Bears. Willis ran 4.51 at the combine and was hand-timed at 4.37 at his pro day...

Given the premium placed on pass rushers and his productive 2009 season -- nation-leading 17 sacks -- Miller could skyrocket up the board. He's experienced in a 3-4 outside linebacker role as a "Joker" for the Aggies, playing a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker role.

The Panthers, Broncos, Bills, Bengals, Cardinals, Browns, 49ers, Titans and Cowboys -- the first nine teams, in order of selection, in the 2011 draft -- could easily find a starring role for Miller immediately. Several of those teams were represented at Wednesday's workout.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I don't track. What's changed beyond not having to pay the two pick as much as he'd have gotten w/o a scale? If they have a shot at their top rated defender, why not take it.

If they have several guys rated evenly, OR if someone offers the house for Cam, then I see trading down.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm not thrilled with taking a LBer at #2 not named Lawrence Taylor... I'd prefer the Broncos take Dareus or Peterson.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Stopping the run could still be an issue

That's all we need to hear, just say no to Miller and Yes to Dareus
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm not thrilled with taking a LBer at #2 not named Lawrence Taylor... I'd prefer the Broncos take Dareus or Peterson.
Your logic is odd. Why dont you want to take a LB but are more than fine with taking a corner.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Does anyone know if we were at the pro day?
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Love those "fat man" articles! I would not be at all surprised if we end up with Miller at #2 and a LB group of Woodyard, Williams and Miller. I don't know that Peterson is a great fit for our defense since he is really much better in man than zone. Fairley's skills seem like a better fit than Dareus' skills also. Not saying, necessarily, that Miller or Fairley are better players - just better fits. With Fairley's character issues, Miller would seem to be the guy. Just a hunch.
One of his best skills is playing with the ball in his hands. He'll get a LOT more of those opportunities reading the QB in zones.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

I love how everyone forgets how Joe Mays learned the 3-4 in a very short time and became the starter over Woodyard. Mays is going to figure in the MLB situation this year. I our holes at OLB are much bigger than the problems we are looking at with MLB considering that DJ could play there if we have to have it and Mays is a prototypical 4-3 MLB.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
One of his best skills is playing with the ball in his hands. He'll get a LOT more of those opportunities reading the QB in zones.
If he gets better in zone coverage. I'll tell you what really bothered me about Peterson is that he mailed it in for the bowl game against Texas A&M. He looked totally uninterested, made no attempt to get off blocks and got beaten one on one by Jeff Fuller a lot. Now, I know that doesn't offset a great body of work by Peterson, but it really bothers me in terms of the guy's competitiveness.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
If he gets better in zone coverage. I'll tell you what really bothered me about Peterson is that he mailed it in for the bowl game against Texas A&M. He looked totally uninterested, made no attempt to get off blocks and got beaten one on one by Jeff Fuller a lot. Now, I know that doesn't offset a great body of work by Peterson, but it really bothers me in terms of the guy's competitiveness.
...he doesn't have any issues with zone coverage...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
I love how everyone forgets how Joe Mays learned the 3-4 in a very short time and became the starter over Woodyard. Mays is going to figure in the MLB situation this year. I our holes at OLB are much bigger than the problems we are looking at with MLB considering that DJ could play there if we have to have it and Mays is a prototypical 4-3 MLB.
May's was pretty horrible in Philly's 4-3 if I remember correctly.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
...he doesn't have any issues with zone coverage...
I think he is much better in man and that is why I wonder if he is a good fit for us at #2 overall if we are going to play primarily zone. I don't disagree that he is an elite prospect and, clearly, the best DB in the draft.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Think derrick thomas
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
He will go top 5 for sure. Pretty hard to trade back and get him for sure fairly is more of trade back target
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Your logic is odd. Why dont you want to take a LB but are more than fine with taking a corner.
LBer is an easier position to fill, they are kinda like the RBs on offense; you can find good ones in the later rounds. Not so much with CBs and DTs, at least when it comes to elite talent.

I'm all for bringing in a game changing defensive player, but I'm not so sure Von Miller is that kind of a player. Maybe he is. It's up to Xanders, Fox and Elway to make the right decision. If they take VM at #2, it means they think he's the most impactful defensive player available.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
LBer is an easier position to fill, they are kinda like the RBs on offense; you can find good ones in the later rounds. Not so much with CBs and DTs, at least when it comes to elite talent.
I dont disagree with you there, but he can also get after the passer. Lets say Miller can come in and get 10 sacks from that position (i assume he'd also play with his hand down on third down) and also play sideline to sideline...wouldnt you think thats worth it?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I dont disagree with you there, but he can also get after the passer. Lets say Miller can come in and get 10 sacks from that position (i assume he'd also play with his hand down on third down) and also play sideline to sideline...wouldnt you think thats worth it?
I think his pass rush off the edge is too valuable to put him anywhere other than a pass rushing position.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
I think his pass rush off the edge is too valuable to put him anywhere other than a pass rushing position.
Then there is no possible reason for a 4-3 team to take him before #10. He is way, way too small to play DE in an NFL 4-3 and still hold up against the run.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote