The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer?
Nick Fairley 33 23.40%
Marcell Dareus 108 76.60%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default Poll: Fairley or Dareus?

Assuming the Broncos are deciding between these two interior linemen, who do you prefer? Vote and then post why you prefer the big man you voted for.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
Assuming the Broncos are deciding between these two interior linemen, who do you prefer? Vote and then post why you prefer the big man you voted for.

I was initially bent on Fairley. One of the reasons was I thought he was 6'5" and had room to add muscle.

After taking all into consideration, I believe Dareus is the man I would like to see Denver take.

Not only is he light on his feet at 319 lbs....but he is far faster within 10 yds than Fairley. He is bigger....stronger.

Most of all though, Dareus was used in the 34, asked to manhandle Olinemen.

In the 43 Fox will put into play here, I believe Dareus will be cut loose much like Warren Sapp.

I believe theyre in the same mold, but Marcel is even bigger than Sapp.

I'll go with Marcel Dareus.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

I voted for Dareus because he has a better all-around game. Fairley is better in one aspect: rushing the passer. And he is not better by much. Dareus is better against the run, better at engaging blockers, he's bigger and stronger. I also like his personality better and when you're picking at #2 that should be strongly considered.

One big thing that stands out to me is that Alfred Williams, Mark Schlereth, and Warren Sapp all strongly prefer Dareus to Fairley. These guys were all players in this league so I think they know what makes a good defensive lineman. Alfred and Schlereth were particularly unimpressed with Fairley. They saw and interviewed him at the Super Bowl and said he didn't look like a 4-3 DT. The day after the national champinoship Alfred said he doesn't use his hands and called Fairley "fool's gold". Warren Sapp one of the greatest DT of all-time, agrees:

“He doesn’t use his hands,” said Sapp on Total Access, after watching film of Fairley. “He’s just bigger and more athletic than most of the guys. … He must work on his technique.”
Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dareus.

Fairley probably has the higher ceiling of the two, and I can see why I team would become infatuated with that and take the risk that he lives up to it.

Dareus on the other hand seems like a sure thing to me. Not saying he's a gauranteed multiple pro-bowler or anything, but aside from getting a very bad injury I just don't see any way he's not going to be a good starter in the NFL for many years to come. He's just too well-rounded a prospect by all accounts.

For a team like us, who hasn't had a quality DT in a long time and simply cannot afford to whiff on this pick, I think Dareus has to be the way to go. Not like he hasn't got the potential to be a pro-bowler himself either.

Ultimately Fairley has much higher bust potential while only having a slightly higher ceiling, the trade-off just doesn't seem worth it to me.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Fairley initially looked like the guy, but the draft evaluation process is merciless in seeking out every flaw...to be honest this is a very tough decision but I think I lean towards Dareus. One thing that stands out is that while his sack totals are lower, he was rushing in a 3 man line...of course they're going to be lower. Fairley just strikes me as a guy who MIGHT flop...and that's to big a risk at the #2 pick. Dareus could play any position on the line, he's a stouter player I think, stronger and built more for the interior than Fairley. Fairley could be the next John Randal, or he could implode and wind up being a Haynesworth type guy who can't control his emotions on the field and winds up being a locker rook problem. That might not be true but it seems like a possibility.

I still want Peterson, but Dareus would be my 2nd choice, followed by Bowers, then Fairley and Miller.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme

Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

Fairley= Haynesworth 2.0
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
ol#7

I chose Fairlye because I think he has more potential to be great although the possibility of being a bust is IMO higher than Dareus.

Carmelo, I wouldnt put too much stock into what former players have to say to fill air time. I like Alfred Williams a heck of a lot, but Matt Millen was a former player too, so they dont all know what they are looking at when it comes to talent evaluation.

FWIW, I think Carolina takes Fairley and we take Dareus.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Carmelo, I wouldnt put too much stock into what former players have to say to fill air time. I like Alfred Williams a heck of a lot, but Matt Millen was a former player too, so they dont all know what they are looking at when it comes to talent evaluation.
The thing is, I haven't heard any former players come out saying they favor Fairley. There seems to be a consensus among former NFL guys that Dareus is a better football player. Kiper and McShay are the main guys I have seen with Fairley rated higher.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
ol#7

Not saying they are right or wrong, but just because a handful of former players love a guy doesnt sway me anymore than a handful of draftnicks like Kiper. Every year they fall in love with somebody, more than half of what gets reported is being driven by agents anyway to improve stock.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Dareus is bigger, a lot stronger, plays with better technique and uses his hands well. Much more versatile. Has displayed toughness and leadership by playing through injuries and seems to have great character, despite the 2 game suspension. Has amazing speed and explosion for his size. He is by far the "safer" pick between the two. I also think he will be the better football player. I do think Nick Fairley is a very good prospect as well, but I think he needs more work and there is more bust potential. Dareus in NFL ready right now.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Aside from Green Bay, the other three teams that played in the conference championship games this year were ranked #1,2,3 in rushing defense according to ESPN stats.

If that is the common denominator for dominating defenses, Dareus has got to be the pick.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I went with Dareus.
I'm a big Alabama fan and I know, Dareus is fundamentally sound to play defense.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I love Fairley's aggressiveness, and even like the facts that he plays a little dirty. I mean, i'm not condoning the really cheap stuff, but I like how he tackles with malicious intent. I think our defense definitely needs more attitude, and the fighting side of Fairley could be a good thing.

My problem with taking him at #2 is that when I see him play against technically sound linemen, he can usually be handled with one-on-one blocking. Taken out of the run game, stonewalled in the passing game. The time he shines is when other people make mistakes.

Dareus on the other hand consistently beats single teams, and generally holds position and makes plays even when double teamed. We need that badly. If we have a guy that can blow up single teams, and command regular double teams, it will let Elvis and Ayers do their thing on the edges. It makes for a potentially dominant defense if we can find a real stud at MLB behind that line.

I am already figuring Dareus is the guy, and starting to answer the next question - what do we do for MLB? I really like Mays as a two down thumper, but I just don't know if he is the long term solution.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I think Dareus will go #1 overall. It is apparent after the workouts that Dareus has moved ahead of Fairley. Carolina has taken a good look at Cam Newton, but he has plenty of red flags. They are switching to a 3-4 this year with Rivera coming in. They also took a quarterback (Clausen) last year. With Dareus off the board, the question now becomes "Fairley vs. everybody else". To me, he is the only player, other than Dareus, who could make a serious impact on the Broncos defense.

This is when you play a dangerous game... In my opinion, it is better to trade down out of the pick, but that will only be possible if a team covets Cam Newton and believes the Bills will take him at #3. However, if the Broncos do trade down, there is a real chance Fairley will be off the board as well. The question now becomes, "Is Fairley worth the #2 pick?".

Do you deal with the headache's that he may present vs. taking a player that won't have as much of an impact (Peterson)? Tricky question... The guy hangs out with Jamarcus Russell, one of the all-time underachievers. Not Good. Elway and Fox have a top priority of fixing the defense, primarily the front 7. The safest pick the Broncos can take, with Dareus gone, is Peterson. I think the elite, impact DL will be gone by the time the Broncos pick in round 2. This would leave yet another draft, of not getting a truly impactful DL player... The Broncos cannot afford that scenario, and will need to reach. My opinion, they choose Fairley... with all his flaws.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-10-2011 at 07:43 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I want Dareus a little bit more but I would be happy with either one.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
or he could implode and wind up being a Haynesworth type guy who can't control his emotions on the field and winds up being a locker rook problem. That might not be true but it seems like a possibility.
This, plus the nagging feeling that Fairley is just out for his payday after which his work ethic goes down the drain. Unfortunately the draft is such a crap shoot.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Dareus is better against the run.

Screw the run!

For years I have wanted somebody who can burst right up the middle, destroy the pocket, and put Phyllis, Peanuthead, Brady, et al on their asses.

Give me Fairley.

I want to strike fear.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'd be happy with either, but prefer Fairley.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Can I take both?
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I think Dareus will go #1 overall. It is apparent after the workouts that Dareus has moved ahead of Fairley. Carolina has taken a good look at Cam Newton, but he has plenty of red flags. They are switching to a 3-4 this year with Rivera coming in. They also took a quarterback (Clausen) last year. With Dareus off the board, the question now becomes "Fairley vs. everybody else". To me, he is the only player, other than Dareus, who could make a serious impact on the Broncos defense.

This is when you play a dangerous game... In my opinion, it is better to trade down out of the pick, but that will only be possible if a team covets Cam Newton and believes the Bills will take him at #3. However, if the Broncos do trade down, there is a real chance Fairley will be off the board as well. The question now becomes, "Is Fairley worth the #2 pick?".

Do you deal with the headache's that he may present vs. taking a player that won't have as much of an impact (Peterson)? Tricky question... The guy hangs out with Jamarcus Russell, one of the all-time underachievers. Not Good. Elway and Fox have a top priority of fixing the defense, primarily the front 7. The safest pick the Broncos can take, with Dareus gone, is Peterson. I think the elite, impact DL will be gone by the time the Broncos pick in round 2. This would leave yet another draft, of not getting a truly impactful DL player... The Broncos cannot afford that scenario, and will need to reach. My opinion, they choose Fairley... with all his flaws.
I think that if Dareus isn't there we need to trade down if at all possible. I wouldn't be horribly upset if we took Peterson or Bowers (possibly Fairley, but I just don't really think he is as good as advertised) in that situation, but if Dareus is gone I'd much prefer to accumulate some picks and get a slightly lower-rated defensive player.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Dareus is better against the run.

Screw the run!

For years I have wanted somebody who can burst right up the middle, destroy the pocket, and put Phyllis, Peanuthead, Brady, et al on their asses.

Give me Fairley.

I want to strike fear.
Dareus can do that almost as well and is able to do it against double teams, something Fairley is not as good at.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Dareus because he is bigger and more "complete."

Having said that, I would be thrilled with either one and have no problem with having to "settle" for Fairley or Patrick Peterson.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
JDub15

Peterson IMO, but Dareus over Fairly is a no-brainer.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #24
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Fairley initially looked like the guy, but the draft evaluation process is merciless in seeking out every flaw...to be honest this is a very tough decision but I think I lean towards Dareus. One thing that stands out is that while his sack totals are lower, he was rushing in a 3 man line...of course they're going to be lower. Fairley just strikes me as a guy who MIGHT flop...and that's to big a risk at the #2 pick. Dareus could play any position on the line, he's a stouter player I think, stronger and built more for the interior than Fairley. Fairley could be the next John Randal, or he could implode and wind up being a Haynesworth type guy who can't control his emotions on the field and winds up being a locker rook problem. That might not be true but it seems like a possibility.

I still want Peterson, but Dareus would be my 2nd choice, followed by Bowers, then Fairley and Miller.
And why is Fairley more at risk for that than any other player?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ght-night.html

Wes Bunting compares the two of them.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote