The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Default NFLPA leader: 18-game schedule off the table in CBA negotiations

NFLPA leader: 18-game schedule off the table in CBA negotiations

WASHINGTON -- For the first time publicly, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said tonight that an 18-game season is off the negotiating table in collective bargaining talks with the owners.

Speaking before approximately 100 fans during a joint event with radio station 106.7-FM "The Fan" at the union's downtown office, Smith was categorical that the players won't expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games. He previously had been nuanced in his remarks, saying any change would be predicated on significant adjustments to teams' offseason training programs and the amount of padded contact the players endured during in-season practices.

However when contacted after a Q&A sessions with fans, Smith reiterated that 18 games is a no-go with the players.

"First of all, the league has never presented a formal proposal for 18 games," he told SI.com. "But more importantly, it's something that our players don't want. Eighteen games is not in the best interest of our players' safety, so we're not doing it."

The expanded season was thought to be one of the key talking points in the sides' negotiations for a new agreement; the current deal expires Friday night. The other sticking points are a rookie wage scale -- Yahoo! Sports reported today the sides have agreed on the parameters of a new rookie compensation system -- and a redistribution of league revenues. The league is seeking an additional $1 billion per year in expense credits that would be taken off the top before revenues are divided among the players and owners. The union has said there will be no significant financial givebacks unless the owners open their books.

Speaking outside the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service offices in downtown Washington today after negotiations ended for the evening, Smith said: "How much financial information would you want before you write a $5 billion check?"

Smith was referring to the total amount owners are seeking over a potential five-year agreement.
El Minion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

That sucks, would have liked it. But, it's not over yet.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
schaaf

i read tonight that a rookie wage scale has been agreed upon
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

18 games is a terrible idea, IMO. Now if they can just work out the revenue split in the next few days we might be done with this. Getting a rookie wage scale in place and not having an 18 game schedule are great steps in the right direction. Both positions that I supported. Unfortunately, the financial elements are the most contentious and divisive. But at least progress is being made in the other areas
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ie-wage-scale/

It has been
Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

This is a good thing. 18 game schedule was never really a good idea.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

A 16 game regular season is probably one of the lowest of any professional sport known to man. Professional rugby teams (yeah no pads) play as many as 30-40 games a season for their clubs and that doesn't even hit the mark for players who play for their country.

Any ****ing wonder the owners want to lock these pussies out.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
A 16 game regular season is probably one of the lowest of any professional sport known to man. Professional rugby teams (yeah no pads) play as many as 30-40 games a season for their clubs and that doesn't even hit the mark for players who play for their country.

the fact that there are only 16 games in a season is one of the best things about the NFL. unlike in seemingly every sport that just drags on and on the NFL leaves you wanting more.

the games are worth more. 1 loss in the NFL is worth 10 in the MLB, 5 in the NHL and NBA.

also, even at 16 games in a season, there is a team or teams every year that have playoff spots locked up, division crowns already wrapped up, that are coasting the last 2-3 weeks of the season. add 2 more games and some teams can realistically be on a month long vacation heading into the playoffs. it waters down the product
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

Do you honestly think Rugby is more physically demanding than Football? That the hits in Rugby even compare to the ones in the NFL? I've played both, watch both. Rugby is very much a contact sport. Football is a collision sport. Rugby players are exceptionally tough, I am not taking anything away from them. But 16 NFL games is unquestionably the most physically demanding of all professional sports, and extending the season will shorten players careers and increase injuries. Not to mention reeking havoc on the record books and diminishing the preseason, which I view as being very important for young players and guys on the bubble.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Well, so far the owners are conceding more than the players, so I assume the owners win the percentage of money thing. Either that, or the players are just down right retarded and the owners are just trying to get football going.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Granted i havent watched a **** ton of rugby, and i like the sport fine, and its obviously played by some tough sons of b****es, but i dont find it as violent as football, perhaps only because football is played in pads.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Well, so far the owners are conceding more than the players, so I assume the owners win the percentage of money thing. Either that, or the players are just down right retarded and the owners are just trying to get football going.
More like the owners lost a lot of their leverage after the Doty ruling.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:

I'd be in favor of 20+ games per season.

Give the teams a few more bye weeks a season to recuperate. Sure the game might change, but it would probably change for the better. I'm tired of waiting 3/4 of a year to watch 16 games and then start all over.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I'd be in favor of 20+ games per season.

Give the teams a few more bye weeks a season to recuperate. Sure the game might change, but it would probably change for the better. I'm tired of waiting 3/4 of a year to watch 16 games and then start all over.
the one bad thing is, with 18 games, every single record held by the all time greats goes out the window. id like 18 games with 2-3 bye weeks
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
the one bad thing is, with 18 games, every single record held by the all time greats goes out the window. id like 18 games with 2-3 bye weeks
Yeah I hear that, but I'm not too concerned about the records. They are what they are and the game is changing anyway. Elway's old records will be eclipsed by the new pass-heavy style anyway. I'm not in favor of holding the game back in order to please the stat-hounds. That's just me though.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Players can't stay healthy for 16 games. This is fine with me.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
El Minion
Ring of Famer

More pressure.

末末末末末末末末末末末末
Union asks Judge Doty to unseal 斗ockout insurance records

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2011, 8:50 PM EST

With the labor negotiations teetering on the brink, the union has ramped up the litigation pressure, possibly in advance of the decertify-and-sue maneuver.

The Associated Press reports that the NFLPA has filed a motion with U.S. Judge David Doty requesting that he unseal evidence and testimony from the 斗ockout insurance case. In the court filing, union lawyers explained that 都uch openness provides context that 努ill be the basis for rulings to come.

The next big ruling in the lockout insurance case relates to whether Judge Doty will prevent the league from receiving the $4.3 billion in 2011 TV revenue in the event of a work stoppage. Last week, Judge Doty found that the league violated the CBA by failing to maximize the revenue shared by the NFL and the players when negotiating the term that will pay only the owners during a lockout.

The NFLPA claims that the league has yet to explain why the information should remain sealed, and that the league has failed to cooperate with efforts to agree on strategies for protecting third parties, specifically the networks.

It appears that the union primarily hopes to apply more pressure to the league at this delicate juncture of the labor talks. A decision to release the materials could result in negative P.R. fallout for the league, and it possibly could strain relations with the networks, depending on the extent to which potentially proprietary information is protected.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Lockout insurance?

I wonder what the premium was/is on that?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
Its on PFT and our #2 just became trade-able as a result. We could stockpile if the FO wants to.....
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

No pro game is more violent than pro Foooball -- except pro boxing.

16 games is more than enough
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Andre Waters, Fred McNeil, Mike Webster, Dave Duerson and countless other former NFL players disagree.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Amen to no 18 game season. Think its bad with teams resting players in weeks 16 and 17. Would be even worse with 18 game season.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The season is perfect. By the time FA and the draft over we get some training camp, preseason, then the games again. I don't think we need more.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
No pro game is more violent than pro Foooball -- except pro boxing.

16 games is more than enough
UFC?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

they DO need to do something with the preseason games. maybe cut one PS games out and add another bye week.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote