The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Kenrick Ellis & Jerrell Powe

With all the talk about Fairley, Dareus, Bowers, etc...I haven't seen anyone even mention two big interior DT's who will go behind them and will probably be solid NFL players, and both are going to be there well into the 2nd or 3rd rounds or later in Kenrick Ellis and Jerrell Powe. Ellis is a D-1 transfer from South Carolina who probably projects into the 2nd round, he's huge, but also look at how many plays this guy was involved in, very unusual for a big interior lineman to be making that many tackles, including TFL's. He's 6'5", 346 and ran a blistering 5.0 at the combine, and he can penetrate as well as clog the middle. Powe is primarily a run stuffing NT type, a space eater who will last till the 4th or later if what I'm reading so far is true. There's to much to post all of it so click the links. Both guys come with some issues, but they seem far less problematic at this point than if they were high picks in the first round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632316

03/01/2011 - Kenrick Ellis (Hampton) and Jerrell Powe (Ole Miss) played at the NFLPA All-Star Game in late January, and continued their rise up draft boards by showing athleticism in Indianapolis. Ellis is a massive, 6-5, 346-pound tackle who ran well (5.0 40 time) for his size. He projects as a fine 3-4 lineman who can play on the nose, but also provide some pass rush at five-technique as a second-round version of B.J. Raji or Vince Wilfork. Powe is a 6-2, 335-pound nose tackle, so his 5.2 40s really didn't affect his stock. Scouts appreciated his hustle in drills, however, which emulated his effort on the field -- even if his production wasn't as good in 2010 as it was in 2009. Both players also have off-field issues scouts would have to overlook for either to be selected in the first two rounds. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

Kenrick Ellis-

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DT

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...lis?id=2495148

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 9-1-10: #6 DT, #52/750 Overall, 2-3
2010: First Team All-MEAC, second on the team in tackles with 94 total tackles (34 solo, 60 assisted), was also second on the team with 15.0 tackles for loss totaling 37 yards and was second on the team with 2.0 sacks on the season. Ellis recorded a career-high 16 tackles (seven solo, nine assisted) at Howard on Sept. 11 on his way to earning MEAC Defensive Player of the Week honors, and he also had 15 tackles (two solo, 13 assisted) at North Carolina Central on Oct. 9. Both of his sacks came at Howard...2009: All Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference first team...totaled 15 tackles for loss in 2009, and only 1.5 were on sacks. He was fifth on the team with 51 tackles, including a season-high nine against Delaware State. He also forced a pair of fumbles and recovered one...2008: Second team All-MEAC. Played in 11 games for the Pirates, starting in nine… recorded 39 tackles on the season, including 16 solo efforts… recorded a season-high seven tackles (five solo, two assisted) in a season-ending win at Morgan State… second on the team with 3.5 sacks on the season… recorded 7.5 tackles for loss...2007: At South Carolina: Played in 11-of-12 games in 2007... most of his work came on special teams until the final three games of the season...2006: At South Carolina: Redshirted.

Jerrell Powe-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632316

Universally recognized as one of the elite prep defensive tackles, Powe could have signed with almost any program in the country in 2005, but academic issues kept him sidelined for three years. Attempting to gain clearance by the NCAA, Powe attended Hargrave Military Academy (Va.), Penn Foster Career School (Pa.) and Mississippi on financial aid before finally getting an opportunity to play.

Powe impressed with his big-play potential. While only seeing a handful of snaps per game in 2008, Powe registered 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and an interception to go along with eight tackles.

Starting 10 of 13 games at nose tackle for the Rebels in '09, Powe emerged as a star, earning second-team All-SEC accolades after posting 34 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and three sacks. After such troubles gaining academic clearance, many expected Powe to gladly leave school early for the pros. Instead, he came back for his senior season and is on pace to graduate with a criminal justice degree in May.

Academically it was a good decision. In terms of his NFL stock, Powe's decision can be scrutinized. With opponents focusing their blocking schemes around stopping him, Powe struggled to make much of an impact in 2010. He again earned second-team All-SEC honors, but produced only 27 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

Powe's girth and strength make him an ideal candidate to line up on the nose in the NFL. Considering the number of pro teams switching to the 3-4 alignment, Powe should have plenty of suitors. Essentially just a run-stuffer, he might fall to the middle portion of the draft, meaning he'll hear his name called on the second or third day of the event.

Pass rush: Provides only a minimal pass rush. Has at least moderate initial quickness off the snap, but relies on size and power, not agility or technique to rush the passer. Good bull rush to push the blocker into the pocket. Provides good effort in lateral pursuit, but tires and is outrun easily.

Run defense: Short, squatty build conducive to stuffing the run. Comes off the snap low and hard, giving blockers a small target. Anchors well, even against double-teams, due to his girth and excellent lower-body strength. Creates a pile, opening up opportunities for easy tackles for teammates. Good power and vision to locate the football to stack and shed. Limited agility to chase down ballcarriers, but is surprisingly balanced working down the line to push them toward the sideline.

Explosion: Flashes an explosive initial burst, but is very inconsistent. Possesses explosive upper-body strength to rock offensive linemen back with his initial punch. Can walk the blocker deep into the pocket on his bull rush.

Strength: Good strength and use of leverage to hold his ground. Good upper-body strength to stack and shed blocks and has a good bull rush capable of collapsing the pocket. Strong enough to drag down some ballcarriers while engaged with blockers.

Tackling: A typical collision-style and drag-down hitter inside. Stacks and sheds at the point of attack and is able to catch and drag down ballcarriers quickly. Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter when he's given room to build momentum. Relies on his mass and strength to knock down the ballcarrier. Allows slippery and/or strong runners to escape because he doesn't wrap securely.

Intangibles: Older prospect; will be a 24-year-old rookie. Signed with Ole Miss out of high school in 2005, but struggled to gain academic clearance and was denied academic eligibility by the NCAA on three separate occasions. Wasn't able to fully participate until the 2008 season. Diagnosed with dyslexia and has gained help through a tutoring program.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 03-09-2011 at 07:36 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Video interview with Ellis at the combine: http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/v...b-1d3a551f2bf9

Seems like a pretty engaging guy..."I demand a double team"
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Both are high seconds in a different draft, imo. Grabbing one in the third is the way to go.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Both are high seconds in a different draft, imo. Grabbing one in the third is the way to go.
Ellis will go in the 2nd I think. Size-wise he's an exact duplicate of Jamall Williams. We need this kind of interior man-mountain even if we draft Fairley or Dareus also. Based on what I've read so far, I think he'd be of interest to them as high as their #36 pick assuming he's there. Powe can probably be had in the 4th since he's less of a playmaker and more of a space eater, but both would be really nice upgrades to this D-line just based on their size alone if they make it.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I don't think Powe is a good fit for the 4-3. He seems like strictly a 3-4 nose tackle to me. He does not make many plays in the backfield, just a big fatty who takes up blockers. Ellis is an intriguing guy. His measurables and production are 1st round caliber. The big question is the level of competition he faced at Hampton. I'd be very happy if we selected him with our second 2nd rounder.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't think Powe is a good fit for the 4-3. He seems like strictly a 3-4 nose tackle to me. He does not make many plays in the backfield, just a big fatty who takes up blockers. Ellis is an intriguing guy. His measurables and production are 1st round caliber. The big question is the level of competition he faced at Hampton. I'd be very happy if we selected him with our second 2nd rounder.
Ellis transfered originally from South Carolina, not sure why though. Powe is a better NT fit as you said, but I think he could still fill in a DT rotation as the 3rd DT who spells the other two and gets in 20 plays or so a game. We need more than one big fatty so we should look at all options.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Ellis transfered originally from South Carolina, not sure why though. Powe is a better NT fit as you said, but I think he could still fill in a DT rotation as the 3rd DT who spells the other two and gets in 20 plays or so a game. We need more than one big fatty so we should look at all options.
Yeah, but you don't draft a guy like that before the 4th or 5th round, IMO. A 3-4 team will probably draft him earlier. 2nd or 3rd is too high for Powe if he's going to be in a 4-3 and have to come off the field a large percentage of the time.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I would not hesitate to take either in the 3rd
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
BHamita

I'd be happy with Ellis with the late 2nd...thrilled with him in the 3rd.

I would be pleased with Powe in the 3rd...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Yeah, but you don't draft a guy like that before the 4th or 5th round, IMO. A 3-4 team will probably draft him earlier. 2nd or 3rd is too high for Powe if he's going to be in a 4-3 and have to come off the field a large percentage of the time.
Maybe, but I'm hearing people suggesting we draft DaQuan Bowers at the top of the draft and fit him into a rotation with Doom and Ayers, so while I agree with you, I also think this DT vs NT stuff is pretty over blown. If you're a football player you're a football player, bottom line...and I see no real reason a NT can't play DT, and in fact the opposite transition seems tougher, dealing with two blockers on every play if you're not used to it. I also think Powe is a guy who had some special challenges and he persevered through them, so I think he's a high character guy who will work hard and be effective in the NFL. I'd take him in the 4th, probably not any higher. Ellis is a better prospect, and the way he makes plays at that size is very interesting even though it was at a lower level. It at least shows he has a motor to be getting that many tackles as a 350 pounder. This cat's 50+ pounds heavier than Fairley and he ran almost as well, pretty impressive.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 03-09-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Taylor from Baylor...
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
Taylor from Baylor...
We'll be lucky if he's there at 36
Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

yep that now looks like a dream...crap..
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
Taylor from Baylor...
Do we know he'll be better than Ellis? Or is it just that Ellis went to a small school? I'm not sure we know much about him at all, save the fact that he's risen rapidly after the season was over. Theoretically we could draft an entire defensive front this time:

2- Dareus
36- Taylor
46- Ellis
67- TE DJ Williams (Arkansas)

Adding in Doom and Ayers and maybe our D-line is set for years.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Powe would be an excellent project as a 3rd rounder, after we've taken Fairley or Dareus. I'm hoping we get Pea in with 2A though.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Do we know he'll be better than Ellis? Or is it just that Ellis went to a small school? I'm not sure we know much about him at all, save the fact that he's risen rapidly after the season was over. Theoretically we could draft an entire defensive front this time:

2- Dareus
36- Taylor
46- Ellis
67- TE DJ Williams (Arkansas)

Adding in Doom and Ayers and maybe our D-line is set for years.
I would take that draft in a millisecond
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I thought this video of Kenrick Ellis is interesting. Freeze frame this video as he gets to the end of his forty. This is what 6'5", 346 looks like? I expected a big fat gut on this guy. This dude doesn't look the part of a fatass NT, almost more like a 3-4 DE. He's just a very big guy. Most of these dudes at this weight look utterly out of shape.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...lis?r_src=ramp

This is now the second thing about this guy that's caught my attention. If you look at his college stats the thing that jumps out first is how he made a huge number of plays for a guy you'd normally think would be playing a position designed to just eat up blockers. This guy is huge, fairly in shape it appears, and he made a ton of plays.

Seems like a guy to keep an eye on as to whether he rises or falls. I could see him being a target as early as the 36th pick. Also check out a couple of his interview tapes. He comes off pretty well, like a guy who is dedicated to working to get better also.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 03-12-2011 at 10:28 AM..