The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Could Woodyard be a starter for us?

Don't really recall seeing any mention of Woodyard this offseason so thought I'd put this up and see what people thought.

The last couple of years Woodyard has been our nickel LB and been a solid special teams player for us, but I remember in his rookie year he started a few games and for a rookie UFA he certainly did pretty well. At the time we were lauding him as a guy with a bright future, but with McDaniels came a switch to the 3-4 and any chance he had of earning a starting spot pretty much disappeared due to his size.

But with Fox bringing back the 4-3 things might be taking a good turn for him. We know Fox's system likes smaller, faster LB's who can play coverage, I know he hasn't exactly lit it up as a nickel LB the last few years but who exactly has on our pathetic D?

The problem would seem to be that Woodyard is naturally a WILL linebacker, and DJ Williams would appear the obvious starter at that spot.

Could Woodyard play SAM? He would certainly seem undersized, but James Anderson in Carolina is coming off a pretty good season playing SAM in Carolina and isn't exactly a big guy himself ( 6ft2', 235lbs).

Might we consider DJ at MIKE, allowing Woodyard a shot in his natural spot?

I know we've got a real rebuild on our hands with our D, but things would be a lot easier if some of the players already on the roster could step up and earn a starting role.

Anyone else that people think might have potential to benefit a lot from the scheme changes? Be nice if we could find one or two.

Last edited by The Joker; 03-09-2011 at 06:02 AM..
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 17,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

They've already talked about DJ playing MLB in the 4-3, at this point who knows what will happen.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I hope they leave Williams alone at weakside. He's good at it, we know what we have in him and despite his flaws I think he's earned it. Woodyard will still get time in our nickel packages, most likely. I like him and want to see him on the field more, but I wasn't impressed with Williams in the middle the last time we tried it. Unless we somehow attain several massive DTs I don't know why he'd look any better this time around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,875
Default

Woodyard was an undrafted FA.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I hope they leave Williams alone at weakside. He's good at it, we know what we have in him and despite his flaws I think he's earned it. Woodyard will still get time in our nickel packages, most likely. I like him and want to see him on the field more, but I wasn't impressed with Williams in the middle the last time we tried it. Unless we somehow attain several massive DTs I don't know why he'd look any better this time around.
Tend to agree with this entirely, but just wondering if the Broncos will consider it with the lack of MIKE prospects in the draft this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Woodyard was an undrafted FA.
Fixed.

Hope this didn't cost you too much sleep.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Tend to agree with this entirely, but just wondering if the Broncos will consider it with the lack of MIKE prospects in the draft this year.



Fixed.

Hope this didn't cost you too much sleep.
Nope, I'm already awake.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

I posed a similar question within another thread somewhere around here a day or so ago. Woodyard is a hitter, a guy who manages to make plays despite his size and yes, I think he's starter material, but not at Sam. I prefer to see him on the weak side or possibly....POSSIBLY...in the middle. Before we can trust smaller LB's in this defense we'd need a ton of extra beef in the line though. I'm not talking about drafting one guy like Dareus, but four or five new linemen, at least one each of the next three years, and two extra this year when the pickings are deeper. This is one reason I'm making the point repeatedly that this defense will take three years to rebuild, so people need to chill out about what we think we HAVE to have NOW and consider what we SHOULD have if we're planning on being a contender in 2013, which means we should take whoever the best player available is in most cases where we're talking about the first two rounds. That needs to be our organizational philosophy the next three seasons, bulding, not trying to emerge all at once, because it's not going to happen like that. We have to many holes.

We have basically about 3 guys on defense who will probably be here in three years, and that's not including Woodyard, so 4 if we include him. Unless we want more over the hill FA and has beens, we need to draft 8 starters in the next 3 drafts on defense. BTW, Spencer Larson played well at LB as well when he was in there his rookie year. Remember when he started at MLB and won rookie of the week his first start? We need to give him another shot at the LB spot. I think those two and Mays are wild cards and at least one will emerge as a starter.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Woodyard. As for DJ, they need to either leave him at Will or trade him. This guy's career has basically been ruined because of moving him all over the place. What was once a promising start as a rookie, has turned into nothing but another run of the mill career where the guy makes tackles but not many plays.

Good thread topic btw...

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 03-09-2011 at 07:28 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Depending on how the CBA negotiations flush out, a guy like Aubrayo Franklin of the 9ers might become a FA. He would be target #1 for me if they wanted to go with the mini-me group at DE and LB, which seems to be the way they might be going. Get Peterson with the #1 pick, package one of their existing 2nds along with Orton and/or a later pick to move back into the late first and grab Paea, who could learn under Franklin and possibly spell him or play alongside him when needed. We clearly need some real beef at DT.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,770

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

I love what Woodyard brings to the team, and hope he is readying himself to compete to Fox's specifications. I kind of agree that we should use DJ at his best possible position, which is WILL. Let's not just mix the pieces around on the team again, let's use the best possible players at their natural positions (thereby creating mismatches).

DJ has earned his spot at WILL, Woodyard will have to find his place. Woodyard is a great player to have for depth and ST, but he will have to "take" the starting role from another player - that part is up to him.

Is this also the thread where we can ask for Spencer Larsen to get another shot at MLB? I never understood why we rewarded his "Rookie of the Week" performance by taking away his spot.

Oh well, this should be an interesting draft.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Depending on how the CBA negotiations flush out, a guy like Aubrayo Franklin of the 9ers might become a FA. He would be target #1 for me if they wanted to go with the mini-me group at DE and LB, which seems to be the way they might be going. Get Peterson with the #1 pick, package one of their existing 2nds along with Orton and/or a later pick to move back into the late first and grab Paea, who could learn under Franklin and possibly spell him or play alongside him when needed. We clearly need some real beef at DT.
Agree on this...and beef is available, observe:

2011
1) #2-Peterson
2) #36 + #67= move up for one of; Paea/Taylor/Austin/Bailey, mid to late 1st rnd.
3) #46- draft whoever is left of Paea/Taylor/Austin/Bailey OR if all are gone, then take Kenrick Ellis (Hampton), DT/NT- 6'5", 346 or Jerrell Powe (Ole Miss), DT/NT- 6'2", 335 lbs

Following this, we come out with Peterson and two large and solid D-line guys...and I didn't even factor a possible Orton trade into this. We could actually add as many as four if we don't trade up. In other words, an entirely new D-line.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Woodyard's too small to be an every down, productive LB. He reminds me of Ian Gold in that respect--tough, smart, a special teams ace, and able to make plays in spot duty but overall, not an every down LB in the NFL.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I think we'll see Woodyard starting at WLB and Williams at MLB, unless we are able to pick up a MLB in the free agency.

But I don't see a MLB that would be able to beat out DJ in this draft
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Rugby7
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 122
Default

Yes he could...but not for anybody else.
Rugby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Is this also the thread where we can ask for Spencer Larsen to get another shot at MLB? I never understood why we rewarded his "Rookie of the Week" performance by taking away his spot.
Because Shanny needed to give Webster his spot back since he was playing sooooo well when he was starting. Just another example of Shanny outsmarting himself.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,381
Default

sure he could start...I just don't think he could stay healthy for most of the season.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I think we'll see Woodyard starting at WLB and Williams at MLB, unless we are able to pick up a MLB in the free agency.

But I don't see a MLB that would be able to beat out DJ in this draft
I think this is where we are heading. But, we would still need to find a SAM in that situation. Don't see anyone on our roster that fits there in a Fox defense. And, we better really beef up at DT to keep DJ free to run and chase.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Cmac821
Harden by loss
 
Cmac821's Avatar
 
Can't wait for next year

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern Los Angeles
Posts: 1,174

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder
Default

Didn't Woodyard play safety for us at some point also?
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Neither DJ or Woodyard make a good SAM.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Woodyard's too small to be an every down, productive LB. He reminds me of Ian Gold in that respect--tough, smart, a special teams ace, and able to make plays in spot duty but overall, not an every down LB in the NFL.
Ian Gold was a good starting WOLB until he tore his ACL. Even when we brought him back and moved DJ over to SOLB Gold was still a quality OLB for a few more years. Not as good as DJ was, sure, but still better than league average when initially brought back.

Woodyard seems like a more powerful player to me who does a better job finishing his tackles.

Woodyard at WOLB and DJ at MLB is the best path to get a quality trio of linebackers on the field for next year. It requires us to only fill SOLB in the draft or FA. Put a legit pair of DTs in front of them and get some CB youth in behind them, the LBs won't be the problem.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,929

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

SS in a 4-4 setup.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Ian Gold was a good starting WOLB until he tore his ACL. Even when we brought him back and moved DJ over to SOLB Gold was still a quality OLB for a few more years. Not as good as DJ was, sure, but still better than league average when initially brought back.

Woodyard seems like a more powerful player to me who does a better job finishing his tackles.

Woodyard at WOLB and DJ at MLB is the best path to get a quality trio of linebackers on the field for next year. It requires us to only fill SOLB in the draft or FA. Put a legit pair of DTs in front of them and get some CB youth in behind them, the LBs won't be the problem.
I wouldnt count out Mays
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #22
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I wouldnt count out Mays
I can't believe people have completely forgotten about Joe. Everyone was so high on him after the Chefs game. He fits the 4-3 was a natural at Middle at North Dakota St. They played a Tampa 2 system similar to what Fox used in Carolina. I think Mays and Woodyard split time at Mike. If they don't move DJ he plays Sam and Haggan goes to Will. JMHO.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
I can't believe people have completely forgotten about Joe. Everyone was so high on him after the Chefs game. He fits the 4-3 was a natural at Middle at North Dakota St. They played a Tampa 2 system similar to what Fox used in Carolina. I think Mays and Woodyard split time at Mike. If they don't move DJ he plays Sam and Haggan goes to Will. JMHO.
Yep, Mays is a very smart and instinctive player. I like having him on the field.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #24
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
They've already talked about DJ playing MLB in the 4-3, at this point who knows what will happen.
Where's the dude barfing GIF?


DJ is a joke in the middle. Beyond that, he's probably facing a suspension, no?

If we're stuck with him, I at least hope we move him to his natural position. He's a total disaster on the inside. Just useless.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I wouldnt count out Mays
We got him from the Eagles for JJ Arrington of all people. They're a very well ran 4-3 defense that seems to pull new starters for it from out of thin air yet they gave up on him for Arrington.

SILB in a 3-4 would probably fit him well. In a 4-3 I just don't see him having the lateral mobility or range to hold up.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESPN: McDaniels: Orton's the starter Bronco Rob Orange Mane Central Discussion 29 03-25-2010 08:01 AM
Rating the QB 2010 Draft from National Football Post elsid13 NFL Draft Forum 4 02-05-2010 12:49 PM
Denver Post: Bet on Simms as starter on Sunday Bronco Rob Orange Mane Central Discussion 22 11-22-2009 11:56 AM
Orton enters camp as clear starter Bronco Rob Orange Mane Central Discussion 31 07-29-2009 08:05 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Denver Broncos