The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default Impact Defensive Players WILL be available at picks 36 AND 46

- At least 4, possibly 5 QBs will be drafted in the top 35. 6 will go in the top 45. (Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Kaepernick, Ponder, Mallett)

-5 OTs will be drafted in the first round. (Smith, Solder, Carimi, Castonzo, Sherrod). Plus Pouncey makes that at least 6 OL in the 1st round. Ijalana, Wisniewski, and Watkins all go before 45.

QBs and OLinemen are highly valued and seem to be big positions of needs on several teams this year. 11 go before #36 and 15 get drafted before #46. Add A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, and Jonathan Baldwin as 1st rounders. Kyle Rudolph, Mikel Leshoure, Leonard Hankerson, Torrey Smith and Ryan Williams will all be gone before #46.

What I'm getting at is I believe 20 of the first 45 picks will be defensive players.

Here's a Consensus Big Board of the top defensive players in the draft using 6 big boards: Mel Kiper (ESPN), Todd McShay (ESPN), Rob Rang (CBS), Scott Wright (DraftCountdown.com), Tony Pauline (Sports Illustrated) and Wes Bunting's (National Football Post). Mike Mayock has not released a big board yet.

1. Patrick Peterson
2. DaQuan Bowers
3. Nick Fairley
4. Marcell Dareus
5. Von Miller
6. Robert Quinn
7. Prince Amukamara
8. Cameron Jordan
9. Aldon Smith
10. J.J. Watt
11. Adrian Clayborn
12. Akeem Ayers
13. Ryan Kerrigan
14. Brandon Harris
15. Corey Liuget
16. Jimmy Smith
17. Cameron Heyward
18. Muhammed Wilkerson
19. Justin Houston
20. Christian Ballard

That leaves some very good defensive players when we're on the clock at 36. We will have our choice of at least 4 of these guys at 46 as well (assuming WE take one of them at 36 and don't go offense).

Phil Taylor
Stephen Paea
Martez Wilson
Marvin Austin
Aaron Williams
Quinton Carter
Drake Nevis

I purposely left Rahim Moore and Brooks Reed off this list because I don't like either of them for the Broncos unless one of them dropped to 67. If the CBA gets done before the draft, we could decide to trade Orton for a draft pick in the top 45 for another one of these players. A new CBA also would help us to trade down from #2 since the salary wouldn't be much of a concern to a team moving up that high. Moving down a few spots from #2 would yield us another early 2nd round pick. Now you're talking getting up to 4 of these players. Not to mention whoever we get with our 1st round pick (Dareus or Peterson?). Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris or Cameron Heyward could possibly be available at 36 as well if for example Phil Taylor or Stephen Paea goes in the top 35.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

If we trade down from 2 there is no way Peterson is still around at 4 or 5 or lower.
Im just hoping Carolina go's QB or goes heavy at #1.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Fully agree. Some PRIME DL talent is going to slide heavy and Denver is poised to reap the reward.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would really love two DLs on our first 2 picks and then either a Greg Jones or Mark Herzlich in the bottom 2nd or 3rd round.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i'd love to see Bowers/Peterson @ 2, Austin @ 36 & by some miracle Quinn @ 45.
thought Quinn is likely to go potentially mid to late first unless he blows his last work out.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

he's been projected in the 4th or 5th lately so why reach?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would really love two DLs on our first 2 picks and then either a Greg Jones or Mark Herzlich in the bottom 2nd or 3rd round.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i'd love to see Bowers/Peterson @ 2, Austin @ 36 & by some miracle Quinn @ 45.
thought Quinn is likely to go potentially mid to late first unless he blows his last work out.
Richard Quinn? That guy is going in the top 10, top 15 at the worst.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Richard Quinn? That guy is going in the top 10, top 15 at the worst.
He highlighted the name he was referring to.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Shananahan

People have been talking a lot about trading down from #2, but I think a much more likely scenario will be the trading of picks in the second round. With it being a full day after the first, teams are going to be readjusting their boards to who is available and who isn't and some might be wanting to jump up and grab a guy they liked who fell. Denver has to get at least one quality defensive linemen in the first two rounds, so if they draft Peterson I'm hoping they grab the best one available at 36, but if they take Dareus, etc in the first I'd be more than open to trading down in the second to accumulate some more mid-round picks. Perhaps McDaniels will trade us St. Louis' first rounder next year for one of them.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

with this way of thinking on falling player due to the abundance of QBs and OL that will go in the 1st as well as the huge amount of Defensive players that will go in the 1st, if Mark Ingram made fell out of the 1st round which is a pretty good possibility would the value of getting him in the 2nd round be too good to pass up?

i for one would be all for it. we have seen the last 2 seasons, Moreno is not a feature back, he is a 3rd down back and Ingram has the talent to be the guy, and give us a solid 1-2 punch at the RB position, which with a young QB still learning the NFL game would be one of the best things he could have.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I've been making this same point from the beginning. This is an amazing draft of opportunity for us given that we can get fat on the positions of need with multiple high picks and still afford to aggressively handle our #2 selection. Peterson, if he's there is to good to pass up, but even if it's Dareus or Fairley or Miller...we're going to add an impact defender capable of making an early difference. I dearly hope they go after Matt Hasselbeck and convince him to be the Tebow mentor/caddy for a couple easy years on the pine, then trade Kyle for a #2...Miami might be a fit, Minnesota, There are bound to be several teams interested. Nevada's Dontay Moch should be added to the list of possible impact guys. This is the dude who dominated combine speed/power drills, at 6'1 3/8", 248 pounds, he ran 4.44 forty, vertical jumped an astounding 42" and broad jumped 10'8", all marks finishing first among defensive linemen in this draft. He's projected as an edge rusher for good reason, over 60 TFL's and 30 sacks in college. He's greased lightning off the edge, a taller, rangier version of Elvis Dumvervil off the corner but much faster and more mobile in the open field. He could project to four positions. If we landed either Peterson or Dareus, plus one of the DT prospects like Marvin Austin or Phil Taylor, as well as an athletic speed freak like Moch in the 2nd we'd be halfway home to fixing the defense at least to respectibility within the first year. Here's something else nobody has talked about yet, remember how good Wesley Woodyard looked in a 4-3 defense his rookie season under Shanny? He got burried on the bench in McD's 3-4 but at his size it says something to me that he was kept alongside much bigger LB's more typical fits in that system. I think the same might be said for Spencer Larson, who showed he could play there before Shanny mysteriously jerked him back into the fullback role.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Both of these guys are bad value before the 4th if you ask me. Jones hasn't shown NFL level athleticism and Brandon Spikes he is not. Herzlich has a massive medical red flag that after the combine we can definitely say is still hindering him (unless you really think he was a 4.9 40 running LB before hand).

They're worthwhile fliers in later rounds but to take one in the 2nd or even 3rd over some of the far more legitimized talents is just not good value.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
if Mark Ingram made fell out of the 1st round which is a pretty good possibility would the value of getting him in the 2nd round be too good to pass up?
Of course. It will never happen, though.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Of course. It will never happen, though.
anything is possible.

look at last year. Blount had 1st round talent and went undrafted. Rashard Jennings in Jacksonville had a 2nd round grade fell to the 7th.

Ingram had a rather slow 40 time something like 4.67 and that might have teams who were interested him in the 1st look at other positions of need.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
Shananahan

Yeah, I suppose anything could happen. I refuse to get my hopes up, though.

If Ingram is somehow available at #36 I would take him right away, and I think there's a good chance Fox would as well. I don't care about his 40 time at all.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Yeah, I suppose anything could happen. I refuse to get my hopes up, though.

If Ingram is somehow available at #36 I would take him right away, and I think there's a good chance Fox would as well. I don't care about his 40 time at all.
i don't either, but there will be teams who decide he doesn't have the speed they want and pass on him.

it is like TD was. he had a ****ty 40 time, but straight line in shorts speed doesn't truly equate to game speed, which Ingram has.