The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default Draft (Value) Board for Our Top Selections.

As the draft nears closer, we are all wondering what the Broncos intend to do. With the recent released of Bannan and Williams, one would be lead to believe that defensive line is the likely selection at #2, with Patrick Peterson likely being in the mix as well.

Apparently the Broncos (per a Fox quote) like around five to seven guys at that selection. We could only imagine who they could be. This indicates to me that if an offer is on the table, the Broncos might be interested in trading down. Why not? If they're that confident in grades on those players, they might try and get as many picks as possible.

No matter who they take, the one thing I've been considering is the value/player scenarios in the draft thereafter. Here is some discussion:

If you take Peterson, it is no guarantee any of the lineman you really like will be available at #36. I don't think there is going to be much slipping -- I think you are going to see the best ten DL in this class go within those picks. That almost necessitates having to trade up to ensure you get the guy you want. Maybe the Broncos aren't shy about doing this. It has to be something they would consider.

Who do you trade up for then if you take Peterson at #2? Defensive end? Defensive tackle? Do you even consider moving up at all and just wait till your selections?

Right now, I'm trying to come up a good list of five to seven prospects at each of our first four selections (#2, #36, #46. #67).

This would by my board for the Broncos at #2 or their first selection in a trade down:

Marcell Dareus, DL
Patrick Peterson, S
Cameron Jordan, DL
Nick Fairley, DT
J.J. Watt, DL
Da'Quan Bowers, DE
Von Miller, LB

Then what do you do after? Obviously, it depends on what you do at that first selection. In the second round you have plenty of options, I just wonder how many DL will be off the board by then.

Here are just some players I think that have a possibility of being there at our second round selections that would make sense for the team, (by position, no particular):

Martez Wilson, ILB
Mason Foster, LB

Jimmy Smith, CB (Depends on Cox and whether or not he goes to trial, that is decided tomorrow)
Ras-I Dowling, CB
Raheem Moore, S

Muhammad Wilkerson, DL
Christian Ballard, DL
Drake Nevis, LSU

Ben Ijlana, OT (If Harris isn't re-signed, OT would should be considered.)

Mikel Leshoure, RB (Pending CBA ambiguity, but still a need, but not above defense)

Lance Kendricks, TE (Considering Graham is gone, Rudolph might not be there.)

Those would probably be my top ten targets in that span. For those wondering on the DL, I'm guessing Phil Taylor is gone and I'm avoiding Marvin Austin because he didn't even play this year -- and I'm not going to gamble if I'm on the Broncos with their selections. I would expect Luiget to be off the board by then too, maybe not, and if he's available he'd be one of the top guys I'd take if DL wasn't our first pick.

In the third round I'd consider some of these prospects:

LB's like Greg Jones and Quan Sturdivant if that wasn't addressed in the first three selections.

If the defensive backfield is getting addressed: Apparently they interview Da'Norris Searcy as well. Robert Sands could be a guy in this area as well. Davon House at corner could be some value here because I bet after the top three corners there will be a run somewhere near the end of the second round.

DL? Brooks Reed, Bruce Miller, Sheard and Romeus out of Pittsburgh and Sam Acho, Texas. Focusing more on ends at this point as I bet DT will be addressed first.

Offensive players: D.J. Williams, TE and Luke Stocker, TE -- other OL and RB. And I'd even toss in WR, though we have options.

How do you guys feel? What would your board be like for the first 4 picks we have? As of right now I would guess that three of our first four selections will be used on shoring up talent for the defense. The other pick that goes offensively will probably be a OL, RB or TE. Hopefully Harris is re-signed and then it just comes down to getting a weapon at the aforementioned position. I like Shane Vereen as a darkhorse selection early for us to go with Moreno. Think he would do great for us.

Last edited by Requiem; 03-06-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

If we go with Peterson, waiting till #36 to draft a D-lineman isn't necessary. We still have two #2's and a disgruntled backup QB who might fetch a 2nd also. I'd like to see a trade up to get Paea or a guy like Taylor or one of the DE's that winds up sliding into the second half of round one. Take a flyer in the 3rd on Dontay Moch and his 4.44 forty and groom him to be our next weakside backer. We should come out of this draft with at least two D-linemen even if we don't use the #2 on one.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
driver
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Really like your picks for the #2 spot especially Dareus. He is a heck of a player. But to get him we would have to use that pick #2.No trades possible if we want him. We really need some picks in the 3rd & 4 th rnd thats the reason I've been on the trade band wagon so hard. Never been a fan of Peterson at the 2nd overall no db is that good,except in hind sight of course, The question in my mind is Dareus so good we can't afford to pass on him. The only lb in this draft who is worth picking in the 1st or 2nd rnd is Miller, Wilson Jones and Sturdivant are all 3rd rnd picks imo. Your te's are all good I really like Stocker from Tenn. Rudolph is a possible all pro after a couple of seasons but his injury history scares me. Kendricks maybe? Rb's I like Murray in the 3rd rnd. Helu could be had in the 4th IF WE HAD 4th.Face it we have too many areas of need and not enough picks. I really want the first three picks to go to the D.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Never been a fan of Peterson at the 2nd overall no db is that good,except in hind sight of course.
15 years ago everybody would agree with you but the NFL is quickly becoming more of a spread out passing league and top rated CB values keep going up every year. A 'Revis' type of player certainly would be well worth the #2 pick. Is Peterson that guy, who knows. You have to take the chance. I still think we are going with DL right from the get go but if Elway and crew think Doom is 100%, that might allow them to pick up a few DL guys in 2nd round while Doom gives you the pass rush you need. You don't really want to be taking 3-4 DE's in the 1st round anyway and only a total stud NT would get selected in 1st round for a 3-4 also.

It's going to be fun to watch how this unfolds.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
15 years ago everybody would agree with you but the NFL is quickly becoming more of a spread out passing league and top rated CB values keep going up every year. A 'Revis' type of player certainly would be well worth the #2 pick. Is Peterson that guy, who knows. You have to take the chance. I still think we are going with DL right from the get go but if Elway and crew think Doom is 100%, that might allow them to pick up a few DL guys in 2nd round while Doom gives you the pass rush you need. You don't really want to be taking 3-4 DE's in the 1st round anyway and only a total stud NT would get selected in 1st round for a 3-4 also.

It's going to be fun to watch how this unfolds.
Huh? You point to the league's changing valuation of the cornerback position, and then turn around and say you don't want to take 3-4 linemen in the first round? Look at all the first round 3-4 DLs that have been part of recent championship teams. Ryan Pickett, Casey Hampton, Ziggy Hood, BJ Raji, Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren. Not that we're going to be selecting personnel for the 34 anyway (although the versatility of a lot of this year's DLs is a bonus), just thought it was kind of an odd comment.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Zona said 3-4 DE's. not DL in the 1st round.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
driver
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Zona said 3-4 DE's. not DL in the 1st round.
True, and there are a lot of good one's in this draft de and dt's. only a few who can play either 3t or 5t, like Dareus in 34 or43..
Is any team actually playing a straight 3-4 or 4-3 anymore it seems like everyone has a hybrid D depending on down and distance?
I've seen projected picks on Watt and jordan and Paea anywhere from #12 in the 1st to the top of the 1st to the top of the second rnd, opens up a lot of possibilities doesn't it. IMO the team releasing Bannen and Williams so early tells us where our 1st 2 picks are going.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

A great defensive line will make any secondary look decent.

I still think they should trade down (but no more than 3-7 spots) to acquire more picks and beef up the DL.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
A great defensive line will make any secondary look decent.I still think they should trade down (but no more than 3-7 spots) to acquire more picks and beef up the DL.
I don't understand why people don't understand this and I bet Phillip Rivers hopes we take a corner with the first pick and not a DT.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
schaaf

I really don't think anyone is questioning that, but you can't take a D-Lineman with the second pick just because "a great defensive line will make any secondary look decent". The player has to be GREAT. If we pick a player that is bad then we will still have a bad defensive line.

The only D-lineman I see worth taking with that high of a pick is Marcel Dareus.

Last edited by schaaf; 03-07-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You don't really want to be taking 3-4 DE's in the 1st round anyway and only a total stud NT would get selected in 1st round for a 3-4 also.
That's the beauty of Dareus, though: his strengths and abilities translate to multiple fronts. He could play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT, etc. You could bulk him up and play him in a NT-like position. We could slide him to DE in short yardage situations while loading up the interior with even larger players. With our defensive coordinator being a fan of multiple schemes, I think he's the runaway best selection if we decide not to draft Peterson.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
A great defensive line will make any secondary look decent.

I still think they should trade down (but no more than 3-7 spots) to acquire more picks and beef up the DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I don't understand why people don't understand this and I bet Phillip Rivers hopes we take a corner with the first pick and not a DT.....
Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, Adewale Ogunleye, Antonio Smith and Mark Anderson of the Houston Texans NFL worst pass defense agree with you.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I really don't think anyone is questioning that, but you can't take a D-Lineman with the second pick just because "a great defensive line will make any secondary look decent". The player has to be GREAT. If we pick a player that is bad then we will still have a bad defensive line.

The only D-lineman I see worth taking with that high of a pick is Marcel Dareus.
Exacly my thinking. I wonder though if FO will think because pass rushers are harder to find they go that route instead. Bolster DT later or in FA.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Did we keep Nunley on board?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
JDub15

As others have stated - can't get trapped into drafting a D-line men because of the fallacy that a great D-line will make any secondary look good, it's simply not true.

This is a cool exercise - here is my list:

Round 1:
1. Patrick Peterson, CB - Best player in the draft of either side of the ball, will become a fixture for years to come - exactly what you want in a top 10 pick.
2. Marcell Dareus, DT/DE - As others have mentioned - very versatile, will impact instantly and should anchor the line for years to come.
3. Cameron Jordan, DE/DT - Another versatile, dominate d-linemen that can play multiple positions.
4. Julio Jones, WR - Tough as nails and a true franchise number one, better than AJ Green IMO.

Don't Draft
Nick Fairly, DT - Glenn Dorsey redux - has been pushed around in the run game, comes with huge character concerns, lack of work ethic will mean it's doubtful he lives up to athletic talent.
Von Miller, OLB - Fits better in the 3-4, is not a complete player.

Round 2
1. Phil Taylor, DT - A huge beast of man, one of the better DT's in the draft and will improve run defense from day one, plus he can push the pocket.
2. Kyle Rudolph - A complete TE, will improve both the run game and the pass game instantly.
3. Stephen Paea, DT - A versatile pass rushing DT, probably not the best against the run though.
4. Aaron Williams, CB - Very good CB that will likely be gone already, but if we pass on Peterson in round one then grabbing Williams in round two would be wise.
4. Danny Watkins, OT/OG - A right tackle or a guard? Doesn't really matter - he will bring the nasty from day one and improve the line.

Don't Draft
Muhammad Wilkerson, DT - Freak athlete but his play doesn't warrant a second round pick.
Christian Ballard, DE - Iowa had an all world line - did he really play that well when you consider the guys next to him?
Marvin Austin, DT - Too many character concerns, doesn't play up to his athletic talent

3rd Round:
1. Jarvis Jenkins, DT - Great player with a great motor, would love to have him on our line.
2. Dontay Moch, DE/OLB - Definitely a better fit for a 3-4 but just get him on the field somewhere and let him cause havoc.
3. Sam Acho, DE/OLB - Under the radar but I think he could contribute right away in the DE rotation.
4. DeMarco Murray, RB - This guys is absurdly explosive, would be a great chance of pace back to pair with Moreno.
5. Brooks Reed OLB - Another guy who probably fits better in the 3-4, but hey you can never have too many pass rushers
6. Luke Stocker, TE - A great blocker who can also make plays, a lesser version of Kyle Rudolph.
7. Ras-I Dowling, CB - Won't create the big play but will be solid in coverage, the anti-Antonio Cromartie if you will

Please Draft:
Casey Matthews, ILB - Is there any doubt? He just makes impact plays at the right time. See Also: National Championship Game.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub15 View Post
As others have stated - can't get trapped into drafting a D-line men because of the fallacy that a great D-line will make any secondary look good, it's simply not true.

Round 1:
1. Patrick Peterson, CB - Best player in the draft of either side of the ball, will become a fixture for years to come - exactly what you want in a top 10 pick.
2. Marcell Dareus, DT/DE - As others have mentioned - very versatile, will impact instantly and should anchor the line for years to come.
3. Cameron Jordan, DE/DT - Another versatile, dominate d-linemen that can play multiple positions.
4. Julio Jones, WR - Tough as nails and a true franchise number one, better than AJ Green IMO.

Don't Draft
Nick Fairly, DT - Glenn Dorsey redux - has been pushed around in the run game, comes with huge character concerns, lack of work ethic will mean it's doubtful he lives up to athletic talent.

Round 2
1. Phil Taylor, DT - A huge beast of man, one of the better DT's in the draft and will improve run defense from day one, plus he can push the pocket.
2. Kyle Rudolph - A complete TE, will improve both the run game and the pass game instantly.
3. Stephen Paea, DT - A versatile pass rushing DT, probably not the best against the run though.
4. Aaron Williams, CB - Very good CB that will likely be gone already, but if we pass on Peterson in round one then grabbing Williams in round two would be wise.
4. Danny Watkins, OT/OG - A right tackle or a guard? Doesn't really matter - he will bring the nasty from day one and improve the line.

Don't Draft
Muhammad Wilkerson, DT - Freak athlete but his play doesn't warrant a second round pick.
Christian Ballard, DE - Iowa had an all world line - did he really play that well when you consider the guys next to him?
Marvin Austin, DT - Too many character concerns, doesn't play up to his athletic talent

3rd Round:
1. Jarvis Jenkins, DT - Great player with a great motor, would love to have him on our line.
2. Dontay Moch, DE/OLB - Definitely a better fit for a 3-4 but just get him on the field somewhere and let him cause havoc.
3. Sam Acho, DE/OLB - Under the radar but I think he could contribute right away in the DE rotation.
4. DeMarco Murray, RB - This guys is absurdly explosive, would be a great chance of pace back to pair with Moreno.
5. Brooks Reed OLB - Another guy who probably fits better in the 3-4, but hey you can never have too many pass rushers
6. Luke Stocker, TE - A great blocker who can also make plays, a lesser version of Kyle Rudolph.
7. Ras-I Dowling, CB - Won't create the big play but will be solid in coverage, the anti-Antonio Cromartie if you will

Please Draft:
Casey Matthews, ILB - Is there any doubt? He just makes impact plays at the right time. See Also: National Championship Game.
Agreed on almost all counts, with the exception of Wilkerson. He brings size, athleticism, and wracked up 23.5 TFL's and 16.5 sacks the past two years. He's been plenty productive.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub15 View Post

Round 1:

Don't Draft

Round 2

Don't Draft

3rd Round:

Please Draft:
Excellent post.....

I hope Taylor or Paea are there at #36.

Acho seems like he'd be gone by #67 but who knows. I wouldn't be pissed if Denver took him at 46. I will be pissed if they draft Martez Wilson in the 2nd round period.

Rudolph would be interesting but they can't take him at 36 IMO....If he falls all the way to 46 and they have already drafted Peterson & Paea or Dareus and someone else....Fine, grab him at 46.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

anyone who's seen Julio Jones and AJ Green actually play football would know that Green is easily the better player. It's not even close. Don't be fooled by combine workouts.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Shananahan

Yeah, I'd take Green in a heartbeat over Jones as well. I'd rather draft him than Miller at the top of the draft, to be honest.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

The linebacker I'd like most for the team right now is Mason Foster.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Cam Newton - QB - Player
The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
"I think they were so set on Andrew Luck coming out, they're not going to wait," explains Gantt. "They need a quarterback." Gantt is the most clued-in Panthers beat writer in the country, so it would be difficult to not trust him. He also believes coach Ron Rivera "is going (to Auburn's Pro Day) for a reason," and that's to meet with the Panthers' next franchise quarterback.
Related: Panther

Please Please let this be true!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, Adewale Ogunleye, Antonio Smith and Mark Anderson of the Houston Texans NFL worst pass defense agree with you.
So where's the great defensive line? The Texans ranked 23rd in sacks.

Okoye, Cody, Ogunleye, Smith, and Anderson are nothing special, and how Mario Williams makes the Pro Bowl is always surprising to me.
broncogary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I want the best DT on the broncos board, if they can trade down a couple slots to still get that guy and pick up a 2 or a 3rd rounder to get some TE and LB depth I would be good for it.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #24
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The linebacker I'd like most for the team right now is Mason Foster.
Why's that?

I've watched plenty of Foster the last few years, but I'm just wondering.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
pricejj
jungle

To me, Dareus is easily the pick that makes the most sense for the Broncos at #2. Although it may be difficult to justify taking him #1 overall, if I were the Panthers I would seriously consider it, unless Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert blow them away.

1. Dareus (most solid D-Lineman in draft at 320 lbs, awesome pass rush without the drama)
2. Trade down
3. Fairley (dude just dominates, but many red flags, need elite talent at DL)
4. Peterson (best skill position player in the draft)

For everyone saying we should pick up Peterson, and wait to the 2nd round to pick up a 2nd tier D-Lineman. Look at all the high draft picks the Broncos have invested over the last 10 years at the both CB positions:

Bailey (traded Portis 2nd round pick)
Bly (traded Foster and Bell, 1st and 2nd round pick)
Middlebrooks (1st round pick)
Leseuer (3rd round pick)
D-Will (2nd round pick)
Paymah (3nd round pick)
Foxworth (3rd round pick)
Alphonso Smith (...1st round pick)
McBath (2nd round pick)

All the high draft picks the Broncos have invested over the last 10 years on all 4 DL positions:

Dorsett Davis (3rd round, bust, cut, out of league)
Hayward (3rd round, 4 years with Broncos, left via free agency)
Toviessi (2nd round reach, bust, cut, out of league)
Moss (1st round reach, bust, cut)
Crowder (2nd round reach, bust, cut)

See how much the Broncos have invested in CB's? The Broncos now have the worst defense in the NFL.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote