The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Butterscotch Stallion

Default Arizona Pushes to Allow Students and Professors to Be Armed

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/us....html?_r=3&hpw

Professors are aghast.

"Anne Mariucci, the chairwoman of the Arizona Board of Regents, the governing board for the state’s universities, said she would prefer that universities be places where disagreements are resolved by debating, not squeezing the trigger.

Yes, the world is a dangerous place these days, but I don’t think you fight fire with fire,” she said. “I don’t think that bringing guns on campuses is the image of the peaceful, civil discourse that universities are supposed to be about.”
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Shananahan

They're probably aghast because they're smart enough to realize what a dumb idea this would be.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Yay Arizona! Let's strap 'em on! Lock and load!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

What the **** happened to that state?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etruth18 View Post
she said. “I don’t think that bringing guns on campuses is the image of the peaceful, civil discourse that universities are supposed to be about.

Right...

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Butterscotch Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Right...

If you don't fight fire with fire what do you fight with? I'll just wait for the police to arrive?

Last edited by Butterscotch Stallion; 03-02-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
If you don't fight fire with fire what do fight with? I'll just wait for the police to arrive?
Last time i checked, gun attacks on campus were hardly a daily occurance. If this law is somehow an answer to the few crazies out there, its the overreaction of the century and, i assure you, will only cause more harm than good.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
If you don't fight fire with fire what do fight with? I'll just wait for the police to arrive?

If this is how the people of Arizona are responding to the shooting in Tucson and cartel driven violence across the border, more power to them.

I was questioning the assertion that universities are bastions of civil discourse.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I'm sure the bursars are licking their chops thinking of a dollar amount they can heap on students for this.

For real, WTF is going on in Warizona?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I'm sure the bursars are licking their chops thinking of a dollar amount they can heap on students for this.

For real, WTF is going on in Warizona?
Is it really that hard to figure out?
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

The dumbest **** I've heard in ages and anyone trying to rationalize it is a fool from the dark ages.

Quote:
Anthony Daykin, the police chief at the University of Arizona in Tucson, where the shootings occurred, said his officers would be at a loss if they arrived at a shooting scene in a lecture hall holding hundreds of students and found scores of people pointing, and possibly shooting, weapons at one another.
L O L

I know a dude from Arizona. He talks all the time about guns and how he can conceal carry. He also thinks it's right to kill abortion doctors. The **** is in the water down there?

Last edited by WABronco; 03-01-2011 at 05:34 PM..
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
I know a dude from Arizona. He talks all the time about guns and how he can conceal carry. He also thinks it's right to kill abortion doctors. The **** is in the water down there?
I know a chick from AZ. She thinks this is the craziest thing in the world. She also thinks jamming a hole in a baby's head and sucking out it's brains is o.k.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
I know a chick from AZ. She thinks this is the craziest thing in the world. She also thinks jamming a hole in a baby's head and sucking out it's brains is o.k.
Stay away devil people.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
El Minion
Ring of Famer

I know a chick from AZ too...

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I wish some of the teachers at Columbine had been allowed to protect themselves and their students by carrying a concealed weapon.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

I'm (fairly) normal! I swear!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Funny thing about living in Colorado...I could care less what Arizona does in its legislature. If the people are pushing for it, like I said, good for them. Now if Colorado decides to arm their teachers and college students, then I might have a dog in the fight.

Even then I dont think I'd care. If someone is going to shoot me, they are going to shoot me. Not alot I can do about that except shoot them first...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

I don't totally disagree with this. You see, those that do carry concealed firearms have to go under huge amounts of background checks and stuff. If you just allowed a teacher, what would stop him from killing an entire class?

To make it right, you have to let multiple people carry guns, by doing so, if someone is stupid enough to pull one out and try to kill someone else, 10 others pull their guns and kill him on sight, saving many lives.

Besides, in a class of 200, even in arizona, you might have 5-10 carry guns. Sure, it could backfire under extremely low chance circumstances, but the way it is now, people that kill other people don't obey the law, and therefore kill until the bullets are out, or until someone sacrifices their life or the police arrive.

This is not as dumb as it sounds.
Cosmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I don't totally disagree with this. You see, those that do carry concealed firearms have to go under huge amounts of background checks and stuff. If you just allowed a teacher, what would stop him from killing an entire class?

To make it right, you have to let multiple people carry guns, by doing so, if someone is stupid enough to pull one out and try to kill someone else, 10 others pull their guns and kill him on sight, saving many lives.

Besides, in a class of 200, even in arizona, you might have 5-10 carry guns. Sure, it could backfire under extremely low chance circumstances, but the way it is now, people that kill other people don't obey the law, and therefore kill until the bullets are out, or until someone sacrifices their life or the police arrive.

It is not as dumb as it sounds. However, very few people are aware that states have the ability to pass laws that their own populace is pushing for. Somehow Arizona considering this will effect people in NY and Massachusetts.

Crazy country.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

That only works if the first guy doesn't pull out a big gun, if you are on the business end of an assault rifle you are not going to have time to pull out your .38 or your 9mm, you are just going to get dead really fast. In a lecture hall of about 200 people, I would estimate you could get off somewhere between 3 and 4 clips of ammo before anyone has their gun out and has it pointing in your general direction.

There is a reason why there are so many murders in America and I don't think it is because Americans are that much more homicidal.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #21
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That only works if the first guy doesn't pull out a big gun, if you are on the business end of an assault rifle you are not going to have time to pull out your .38 or your 9mm, you are just going to get dead really fast. In a lecture hall of about 200 people, I would estimate you could get off somewhere between 3 and 4 clips of ammo before anyone has their gun out and has it pointing in your general direction.

There is a reason why there are so many murders in America and I don't think it is because Americans are that much more homicidal.
How many school shootings are there where the gunman used an assault rifle?

What the **** are you smoking? You're saying a gunman could squeeze off an entire clip, reload the clip, squeeze off that entire clip, reload another clip, squeeze that entire clip off, and potentially repeat another time before I could reach to my chest and pull a handgun out? You're not thinking clearly.

Last edited by Houshyamama; 03-01-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

This is ridiculous. People that open fire inside a lecture hall do not plan on walking out alive. The only thing that would ever happen if six other dudes were packing heat is four of them would run and/or hide, the fifth would attempt to shoot the real shooter and fail, and the last would shoot the fifth in a moment of panic and confusion. And that's more or less a best case scenario.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #23
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
This is ridiculous. People that open fire inside a lecture hall do not plan on walking out alive. The only thing that would ever happen if six other dudes were packing heat is four of them would run and/or hide, the fifth would attempt to shoot the real shooter and fail, and the last would shoot the fifth in a moment of panic and confusion. And that's more or less a best case scenario.
When I was at ASU I knew plenty of former and current military personnel getting their degree. You're saying that in a class of 100 people, one of these trained individuals couldn't calmly pull out his weapon and pop the guy in the chest?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
extralife
Ring of Famer

That's exactly what I'm saying.

and even if he could, there's no guarantee four other people don't give it a shot and hit the girl in row 4 in the chest. or crazy panicing people that have had a really ****ty day start getting into an argument over what to do. or the swat team bursts in and has to contend with 6 people holding guns.

but it's not even about that. it's about what happens when 4000 twenty year old drunk people are running around with concealed weaponry on the 99.99% of days in which no one has planned to open fire in a lecture hall.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #25
uplink
Ring of Famer

So if a student starts talking in class the prof. can pull out a magnum and say, 'are you feeling lucky today punk'.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote