The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default OT - Paypal question

Ok, so I'm trying to sell a watch on craigslist. I received a response from a buyer in Italy, and I'm 90% sure I'm not going to do it.

The guy seems like he may be legit, he friended me on facebook and all that matches up with the profile I found on LinkedIn.

He has offered to pay in full before I ship the watch, so here is my question: If he does that, and I'm able to transfer the full amount into my bank account before I ship, is there anything that can go wrong? Am I retarded for even considering this?

Thanks in advance.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguous View Post
Ok, so I'm trying to sell a watch on craigslist. I received a response from a buyer in Italy, and I'm 90% sure I'm not going to do it.

The guy seems like he may be legit, he friended me on facebook and all that matches up with the profile I found on LinkedIn.

He has offered to pay in full before I ship the watch, so here is my question: If he does that, and I'm able to transfer the full amount into my bank account before I ship, is there anything that can go wrong? Am I retarded for even considering this?

Thanks in advance.
I have shipped items to Europe and Japan that I have sold on Ebay but it is a pain in the ass. I always made them pay in Paypal, cover the shipping and sometimes considering how big it is I would charge a small handling fee for International shipping only.

If he pays the agreed upon money in Paypal he can't take it back. If you get a message when he pays that it will take 3 days for his funds to clear make sure you wait until you get the paid in full message from Paypal.

I wouldn't friend anyone I sell anything to, too easy for either one of you to get bent and flame each other. Keep it distant at first until you establish a history of good payment. I had 2 guys who I finally gave out my email to because they bought alot of my items but once I ran out of my supply I haven't talked to them.

If your a good seller you should have a good buyer.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Have him "gift" you the money.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

As I recall, if he's a verified Paypal address... you can ship it without concern. But, that's the key.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
As I recall, if he's a verified Paypal address... you can ship it without concern. But, that's the key.
The transaction will take place outside of eBay, so that wouldn't work.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Oh, then #### it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

Having a verified address can also refer to Paypal (it's called confirmed in eBay world). If they pay through Paypal, you're good to go (especially if they have a verified/confirmed Paypal address).

A few things:

1. Pay for tracking (verifies it was received if they say they never received it).
2. Pay for insurance if you can afford it (if they say it was broken when they received it and they want their money back, you'll at least recover most of that money through insurance.
3. Save any email correspondence between you and the buyer in the case they ask for their money back.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
Having a verified address can also refer to Paypal (it's called confirmed in eBay world). If they pay through Paypal, you're good to go (especially if they have a verified/confirmed Paypal address).

A few things:

1. Pay for tracking (verifies it was received if they say they never received it).
2. Pay for insurance if you can afford it (if they say it was broken when they received it and they want their money back, you'll at least recover most of that money through insurance.
3. Save any email correspondence between you and the buyer in the case they ask for their money back.
Good to know. I actually have an unconfirmed paypal addy, yet I've been on paypal since day 1(or close to it). I actually earn interest on my paypal account(if i have $ in there).

Since the transaction is taking place outside of eBay, how would paypal guarantee the transaction? It's between two people who will "gift" the money from one to another.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Good to know. I actually have an unconfirmed paypal addy, yet I've been on paypal since day 1(or close to it). I actually earn interest on my paypal account(if i have $ in there).

Since the transaction is taking place outside of eBay, how would paypal guarantee the transaction? It's between two people who will "gift" the money from one to another.
I thought Paypal had it's own dispute system the buyer could use to get their money back if the seller misrepresented what he was selling. It didn't have to be ebay specific
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
It didn't have to be ebay specific
But, wouldn't that refer to buying something on amazon or shopping in Target? Not via craigslist with two strangers.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Thanks for all the help guys. So basically I should be ok to do this, this is what I should ask for:

1. Confirmed paypal account/address.
2. Transfer payment to my bank account before shipping.
2. Get insurance and track shipment.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Hi Greg, yes, confirmed Paypal premier user, confirmed address, shipped with Fedex fully tracked. Fedex also lets you check point by point the shipping process. When delivered you will get a signature proof. Only thing I ask you to ship my way ( declaring no value and that you are sending "precision instrument in metal", otherwise I will pay a lot of taxes). It will be also cheaper to send.
I always do this way, and never had any issue.
Thanks
Okay so I asked for everything in my last post, this is the response - he doesn't want insurance. Is this a red flag?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Okay so I asked for everything in my last post, this is the response - he doesn't want insurance. Is this a red flag?
Have him pay you by Western Union, you get get the money by a Western Union check that's the same as a cash transaction .... there is no room for error. Western Union only takes cash from him on his end. If he's say no it's a huge red flag.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Also... I ship stuff overseas every day and going through customs is a huge nightmare, I think they make up different rules everyday. If you get your money up front he's the ones that will have to deal with customs.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

100% scam. May as well throw the watch in a lake.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Yeah I'll probably let this one go, maybe try Western Union - looks like I'm getting a decent response on buyers in Denver anyway.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Yeah I'll probably let this one go, maybe try Western Union - looks like I'm getting a decent response on buyers in Denver anyway.
Not probably....Just ignore any future contact. It's a scam.

They'll send you a phishing email that looks like it's from paypal but there will be some statement along the lines that...."Buyers payment has been received but won't hit your account until you provide a tracking number, blah, blah, blah"

People get an email from paypal.italy@randomdomain.com full of paypal logos and official looking copy and think....'Well, this seems legit". Not saying you would've but it's a numbers game with these people.

Craigslist = Local, cash transactions ONLY.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Not probably....Just ignore any future contact. It's a scam.

They'll send you a phishing email that looks like it's from paypal but there will be some statement along the lines that...."Buyers payment has been received but won't hit your account until you provide a tracking number, blah, blah, blah"

People get an email from paypal.italy@randomdomain.com full of paypal logos and official looking copy and think....'Well, this seems legit". Not saying you would've but it's a numbers game with these people.

Craigslist = Local, cash transactions ONLY.
I get that, and yes I know the difference between a fake and real paypal email.

Read the posts above - I was not going to ship the watch until the funds had been transferred from my paypal account to my bank account - he seems to be fine with this.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

FYI - starting this year, Paypal now has to report to the IRS anything over 20K
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Why not just sell it on eBay?
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Why not just sell it on eBay?
I never understood the alure of Craigslist, it seemed like a poor mans ebay and centered around buyers and sellers who were local to each other but I have never used it.

My brother in-law bought a broken 4 seat hot-tub for pennies, fixed the problem and have a great hot tub for pennies so it worked for him.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #22
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Ended up just selling it locally for cash