The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Default DJ in the Middle?

What the Broncos do in the draft likely will determine where they line up D.J. Williams on defense in 2011.

Fox, approaching his first season as Denver's head coach, has said Williams likely will line up as the middle linebacker or weakside linebacker in a 4-3. Williams has played all three linebacker positions in a 4-3 for the Broncos. The last two seasons, he played an inside position in a 3-4 alignment.

The Broncos are leaning toward playing Williams in the middle this year, which means they will have to address the other two linebacker positions. Haggan is a possibility at the strongside position.

Read more: Q&A: Broncos should consider drafting A&M's Von Miller - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1FAuzjjoV
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17491410
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Drek
Ring of Famer

Wouldn't surprise me if Woodyard gets a chance to start at WOLB if DJ stays in the middle.

This just further emphasizes the need for some quality DT additions though. DJ can make some plays if you keep guards off him. Fail to do that and he disappears.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don`t think we`re going to find the 2012 answer for MLB in the draft, especially if there`s no offseason workouts and limited training camp. So, I think DJ becomes the defacto choice right now.

It doesn`t seem to be a great draft for 4-3 linebackers. Outside of Von Miller and Akeem Ayers, the first round looks barren.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

DJ is not a MLB - I would rather let Hagan and Mayes fight it out there. If the CBA gets done, I'm not sure DJ doesn't get moved. If he does move to MLB, I think we are saying hello to Miller in the draft.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I don't think DJ is a bad mlb when he played there he was in the top ten for tackles I believe. We get a solid line and I think he'll be fine
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

If getting better up the middle to stop the run is an important goal, I would not be surprised if the Broncos took Miller to play MLB. Being "not bad" os not good enough if the intent is to plug the middle. Miller also has the speed to track and stop the Gates of the world.

If the Broncos do not get a FA MLB, then I would think Miller becomes as trong possibility. There are a number of very good DLmen availble in the second.

If a FA LB is found who can play the middle, I would think Fairly would be a good possibility. Especially if Fox is able to coax Johnson to Denver. Those two could fill out the front 4 nicely.

Getting Johnson, getting Miller, and getting Taylor or Watt leads to a pretty good offseason. There are football player to be drated, and I believe the current FO is much more inclined to go for players rather than role players.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
DJ is not a MLB - I would rather let Hagan and Mayes fight it out there. If the CBA gets done, I'm not sure DJ doesn't get moved. If he does move to MLB, I think we are saying hello to Miller in the draft.
Mays is an instictive MLB, he knows the angles and that's important for an MLB. He's gonna stick with the team, that was a pretty good pickup by the previous regime.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

If they put some good DTs in front of him (Dareus), he'll ball there, but yes, his ideal spot is WLB. I'm glad to hear that they are keeping him though...that tells me Fox actually has some brains.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He'd be best at WOLB, but there are hardly any MIKE's in this draft. Hopefully we get some future starter at LB in this draft though. We are in position to nab one of the best.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Mays is an instictive MLB, he knows the angles and that's important for an MLB. He's gonna stick with the team, that was a pretty good pickup by the previous regime.
And the dude will flat out hit you too!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

This defense is bound to be disastrous as long as DJ is in the middle.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This defense is bound to be disastrous as long as DJ is in the middle.
So we`ll get another top pick next year. We can`t fix this thinkg in one draft.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This defense is bound to be disastrous as long as we have no legitimate 4-3 DT's to keep the linemen off of our linebackers.
Fixed your post.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'll be very disappointed if DJ is at MIKE this year.

He could be one of the best WILL's in the league in his natural spot, but at MIKE he's probably going to be average at best. His sheer athleticism will help him make enough plays to look like he knows what he's doing, but he doesn't have the instincts or football IQ to be a quality player at the position IMO.

The WILL spot on the other hand is perfect for him, and we won't find anyone in FA or the draft who'll give us what DJ could from that spot.

I know finding a MIKE is very important for any 4-3 defense, and with no blue chip prospects in the draft this year I can see how it's tempting to try and plug an elite athlete like DJ in there and hope he excels at the spot, but I just think we'd be screwing ourselves and DJ over again by doing so.

Try and find a passable MIKE in FA (Poluszny and Ruud I believe might be available) and leave DJ where he belongs.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #15
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

That would put Von Miller into play. He really intrigues me...a guy with the skills to play weakside in the 4-3 who can also put his hand on the ground and get after the QB.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Woodyard gets a chance to start at WOLB if DJ stays in the middle.

This just further emphasizes the need for some quality DT additions though. DJ can make some plays if you keep guards off him. Fail to do that and he disappears.
i honestly feel that if Woodyard could add another 8-10 pounds to his frame, he would be an absolute beast as a starting LB. also, why can't DJ play his natural position. hell get a guy in FA to hold down the MLB spot for a year until next seasons draft
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i honestly feel that if Woodyard could add another 8-10 pounds to his frame, he would be an absolute beast as a starting LB. also, why can't DJ play his natural position. hell get a guy in FA to hold down the MLB spot for a year until next seasons draft
MLB is the QB of the defense. No one would think we should just stop gap and find a rookie in a year or so for QB. We'd want to try finding a real answer.

DJ does a lot of things really well. He just sucks in working through garbage. You put a couple hogs in front of him and suddenly DJ is a play making beast at MLB.

Also, lets see what Fox and company do. Fox has had good LB play basically his entire time in Carolina. He drafted a lot of good LBs and developed a lot of good ones in later rounds. He could polish DJ up a bit more at MLB given the chance.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
MLB is the QB of the defense. No one would think we should just stop gap and find a rookie in a year or so for QB. We'd want to try finding a real answer.

DJ does a lot of things really well. He just sucks in working through garbage. You put a couple hogs in front of him and suddenly DJ is a play making beast at MLB.

Also, lets see what Fox and company do. Fox has had good LB play basically his entire time in Carolina. He drafted a lot of good LBs and developed a lot of good ones in later rounds. He could polish DJ up a bit more at MLB given the chance.
I disagree. I think he's a square peg at Mike regardless of who's in front of him. He's not a leader who can get people lined up and get more out of their abilities. Just put him at Will, and get a real Mike.

DJ is an poser there, and will always be exposed.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Fixed your post.
YAY! You love DJ YAY!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

MLB is typically the QB of the defense, but not when it is DJ. he isn't that type of player. In fact i seem to recall Hill being the guy making sure guys were lined up correctly.

it doesn't have to be the MIKE as the QB of the Defense, just a guy who is an every down player. with that in mind if we choose DJ to be our leader on defense, as long as he remains on the field even if it as WILL on all downs he can still do the job and we can get a stop gap player in the MIKE position until the draft has a viable long term option
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
db56
Seasoned Veteran

I dont like DJ at MLB at all, good athlete with average instincts. seems like he would be a better choice at the strong side, physical enough to hold up against the run, and enough agility to cover the TE.

WLB-W. Woodyard MLB-M. Haggans(or J.Mays, FA) SLB-D. Williams
db56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

DJ in the middle, and Woodyard as the weak side LB is the best solution for the team next year. Adding a SAM LB in the draft will also help. Hagan and Mays are ST at best. Or if Fox is really smart he will give Larson a chance at MLB, and let DJ slide over to Strong side.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that Woodyard hasn't been using steroids.

That would solve a big problem on the defense.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #24
Alan958

I'm disappointed that Woodyard hasn't been using steroids.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Mays at MLB, Miller at strong side and Woodyard ate weakside... sorry DJ, you might need to be traded...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: