The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Anyone live/lived or even visited in England?

I just got accepted into a masters program at the University of Newcastle, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to accept the offer but it would be nice to know a little bit more about the city.

I've heard it's a big party city, is that true? What types of things are there to do?

Most importantly, what are the chances I get to watch any Bronco games?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Ask Miss I
OBF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,477

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

It's been a long time since I visited Newcastle, but one thing I can tell you is that the locals (Geordies) are some of the friendliest you'll ever meet.

Have fun, it's a party town.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

You can shack up with Miss I.....so you've got that going for you....which is nice.
__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer
 
Peoples Champ's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,473

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcast...Tyne#Nightlife

nightlife i guess looks good
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

I've never been to Newcastle. Geordies....... eh.

I lived in London. I will say this if you move to England

Get a good group of friends because the English aren't as socially open as Americans
Kiss your liver goodbye and the women will out drink you if you're used to drinking American beer aka water
Don't become a classist prick like so many people unless they're from Essex in which case bleurgh
Prepare yourself for the best humour on the planet... which if you're American might take you a while to click with but when you do there's no going back. It's a lot less juvenile (not that there's anything wrong with juvenile humour).

England's a great place and it would be a great experience. It could serve as a launch pad for you to explore Europe.

EDIT: On the games - when I lived there there were two sunday night games... one afternoon game and the actual sunday night games. the commentary sucked but then, doesn't it suck in the USA?

It beats growing up where I had to listen to games on the radio and have my aunt mail me VHS tapes that arrived two weeks later.

Last edited by Chris; 02-22-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,599

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Congratulations, I was looking at programs in Newcastle as well!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

As far as football, you can watch just from anywhere in the world.
I was in Aruba last December and I was able to watch games via satellite dish...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've never been to Newcastle. Geordies....... eh.

I lived in London. I will say this if you move to England

Get a good group of friends because the English aren't as socially open as Americans
Kiss your liver goodbye and the women will out drink you if you're used to drinking American beer aka water
Don't become a classist prick like so many people unless they're from Essex in which case bleurgh
Prepare yourself for the best humour on the planet... which if you're American might take you a while to click with but when you do there's no going back. It's a lot less juvenile (not that there's anything wrong with juvenile humour).

England's a great place and it would be a great experience. It could serve as a launch pad for you to explore Europe.

EDIT: On the games - when I lived there there were two sunday night games... one afternoon game and the actual sunday night games. the commentary sucked but then, doesn't it suck in the USA?

It beats growing up where I had to listen to games on the radio and have my aunt mail me VHS tapes that arrived two weeks later.
My friend studied in Liverpool and said the guys weren't too receptive but he could have easily gotten a ton of girls.

I'm getting more and more certain I'm going to go, it's just a pretty massive decision right now.

I currently work at a nuclear power plant as a hydro testing engineer and I make crazy good money, but I'm miserable. I work six days a week and I get up at 4:30 and don't get home until 6:30, I have no life anymore. If I get my history masters I will make a lot less money in my lifetime but I think I will be happier overall.

Needless to say it's probably the biggest decision I'm going to have to make thus far.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Congratulations, I was looking at programs in Newcastle as well!
Thanks man.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
My friend studied in Liverpool and said the guys weren't too receptive but he could have easily gotten a ton of girls.

I'm getting more and more certain I'm going to go, it's just a pretty massive decision right now.

I currently work at a nuclear power plant as a hydro testing engineer and I make crazy good money, but I'm miserable. I work six days a week and I get up at 4:30 and don't get home until 6:30, I have no life anymore. If I get my history masters I will make a lot less money in my lifetime but I think I will be happier overall.

Needless to say it's probably the biggest decision I'm going to have to make thus far.
I'm in a similar place. Money ain't all that but it's a tough decision. Can you put it off one year and rack up some more cash?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm in a similar place. Money ain't all that but it's a tough decision. Can you put it off one year and rack up some more cash?
I'd rather not, it's kind of this year or not at all. I won't have to take a loan out because I've made enough money, but it will be hard to give up.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Do it man. Just know what you're getting into (fun, history, boobies, closing some other doors too).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,918

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Do it. Do it. Do it
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Unfortunately I'll miss the Broncos season. Maybe a lockout wouldn't be so bad.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

No man it's not that hard. That's what the interwebs is for. Plus with tebow starting we'll be primetime. You just need Sky TV.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
TerrElway
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 579
Default

Lived in the Liverpool and Manchester areas for awhile. English humor is the best. Love it there in the spring with everything blooming. Many Americans go expecting it to be a lot like the US. It's not. The geordi accent can be tough to understand at first. Until you meet a Scot from Glasgow. I miss England. The people are more reserved for the most part so don't be a loud American prick! you'll get plenty of female attention being a Yank and all. Good luck.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,745

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
My friend studied in Liverpool and said the guys weren't too receptive but he could have easily gotten a ton of girls.

I'm getting more and more certain I'm going to go, it's just a pretty massive decision right now.

I currently work at a nuclear power plant as a hydro testing engineer and I make crazy good money, but I'm miserable. I work six days a week and I get up at 4:30 and don't get home until 6:30, I have no life anymore. If I get my history masters I will make a lot less money in my lifetime but I think I will be happier overall.

Needless to say it's probably the biggest decision I'm going to have to make thus far.
Go Go Go and never look back. Right now your future at the plant is exactly like it is today...forever. You go do this and a million more doors open up for you. Pick just about any of them and it's better than what you have now.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #19
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I visited England once. Many people spoke English so they have that going for them.

Hope it helps!
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,334

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Full of Brits. Everyone is named Simon and eats lumpy mashers.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I watched a documentary once where they kept invading their neighbors - Scotland I believe it was. They even recruited the Irish to help in some sort of gang fight. Then this guy with a blue face started babbling about lightning bolts and they fought.

Seemed like a rough place to live, personally.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,334

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I watched a documentary once where they kept invading their neighbors - Scotland I believe it was. They even recruited the Irish to help in some sort of gang fight. Then this guy with a blue face started babbling about lightning bolts and they fought.

Seemed like a rough place to live, personally.
Plus: bad teeth.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Sir_Robin
Veteran Armor Soiler
 
Sir_Robin's Avatar
 
Bravely taking to his feet...

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camelot
Posts: 399
Default

They make a fine brown ale, what more do you need?
Sir_Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrElway View Post
The geordi accent can be tough to understand at first.
Ehh.....he just needs to practice his "ello gov'na" and he'll be fine.

__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I watched a documentary once where they kept invading their neighbors - Scotland I believe it was. They even recruited the Irish to help in some sort of gang fight. Then this guy with a blue face started babbling about lightning bolts and they fought.

Seemed like a rough place to live, personally.

I think I saw the same documentary. The king dude is a dick. "Wont our archers hit our men?" "They will hit theirs as well...attack"...he had a homo son though. And his wife was french. I read somewhere that she would later instigate rebellion and shove a hot poker up his aisehole.

Wierd brits.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Denver Broncos