The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Default Panthers not using tag on Williams

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6147197
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

who gives a rats ass about Williams? what i read was they are willing to let Johnson walk, bring him in.

we can always find an undrafted RB to help shoulder some of the load, and one with less miles who will play for less money.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Well, let's go get Johnson!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Deangelo will be 28 this season. That's not too bad considering he's been splitting the load the past two seasons.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Until Bush got a dui I wanted to go for him. But any FA stupid enough to do that when you are trying to get your first big contract is someone too stupid for Denver. We have too many people getting busted we need to look for non drinkers. Hard to believe but not every person has to get drunk all the time.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos should look at any RB that is an upgrade that will consider signing in Denver. Not like we have our pick. We used to just roll Elway out but that won't work anymore.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Broncos should look at any RB that is an upgrade that will consider signing in Denver. Not like we have our pick. We used to just roll Elway out but that won't work anymore.
i'd be more interested in bringing in a late round talent or an undrafted guy than a FA who will want more money.

i'd like to see us get a guy like Rashard Jennings who last year had a low 2nd round early 3rd round grade yet fell all the way to the 7th, or a guy like Blount who had 1st round talent and fell out of the draft because he can't help but punch other players. i want young legs and size, not retreads
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i'd be more interested in bringing in a late round talent or an undrafted guy than a FA who will want more money.

i'd like to see us get a guy like Rashard Jennings who last year had a low 2nd round early 3rd round grade yet fell all the way to the 7th, or a guy like Blount who had 1st round talent and fell out of the draft because he can't help but punch other players. i want young legs and size, not retreads
I'd like to see us do both. Grab some rookie RBS, and grab a vet who can start. Then let Moreno and the new vet battle it out, or go by committee. Then maybe while they are doing that the rookie rises up, you get lucky whatever.

I think Broncos should have a plan a, b, and c at RB. Lendale White i guess could be plan D. Moreno finally being good could be plan B, but bring in someone that can be plan A. Then see what happens.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...i'd like to see us get a guy like...
Sounds good in theory, but we need somebody who we know for sure can play. Those kinds of guys are hit or miss, and probably more often the latter unfortunately.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Rugby7
Solid Starter

Quote:
who gives a rats ass about Williams?
Well I think he is pretty good so here you go.
Attached Images

Rugby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Nothing against Williams, but it always boggles my mind people would want the team to spend on a free agent RB (the history of success NFL is awful) when there are so many holes to fill.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also we are down the 4th round pick right? Are we down another 7th? We might not have a ton of late picks to use on rbs.

Broncos really need to hit on DT/DB/LB/TE in the drat IMO. RB I think could be a spot we just look for some journeyman/vets to pair with Moreno and maybe even Lendale White. Although he could just as easily get cut.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Here's a question. So, if you have a coach like Fox (amicable breakup, no bridges burned, well respected in carolina) coming in here to denver, does that automatically open up some new trade possibilities, strictly on his former ties? Does it give us a better chance with some of their FA's?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

And this is news Come on, I know it is offseason and the threads pretty much suck now, but posting that DeAngelo Williams in not getting tagged is not news... Even to my grandmother.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby7 View Post
Well I think he is pretty good so here you go.
nice. that is a good one
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Sounds good in theory, but we need somebody who we know for sure can play. Those kinds of guys are hit or miss, and probably more often the latter unfortunately.
everyone every year is hit or miss.

who's to say williams has anything left in the tank? who's to say white can get over his injury? who's to say we get a good rookie or a bad rookie?

the point i am trying to make is i feel there is less risk in taking young legs over retreads.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

1. Throw money at premier talent.
2. Acquire a handful of stop gaps
3. End April with a solid defensive draft
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I don't mind the guy. He certainly has more non-panis/I'lleatyourburgertoo than LenDale. I don't want to spend draft choices on a running back, and chris ivory and green-ellis were undrafted free agents. I'm not gonna say Williams is better than those guys, but it's not like anyone on this scouting or coaching staff has any track record of finding UDFA runners either. I hope they bring in a couple. Just no more Morony trades.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
1. Throw money at premier talent.
2. Acquire a handful of stop gaps
3. End April with a solid defensive draft
Yep. Identify a bunch of FA you see as good talent. Then just try to get whatever one will agree to sign in Denver. When you use up FA allocation of funds start working on the draft. If you get good FA TE then don't draft one, if you don't then do. Etc etc etc.

People pretend that you can just do what you want like its madden football. Broncos may try as hard as they can to sign a FA player but they all use Denver for a ploy and sign elsewhere. That **** happens.

Also your draft can change just because a player you thought would be gone falls to your pick. Now you take him even though you signed a FA at same position. Its just how it goes sometimes.

Broncos are so deprived of talent, any talent is good talent. Name one position we couldn't use a stud player at. You can maybe get 2-3 positions in at most.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
the point i am trying to make is i feel there is less risk in taking young legs over retreads.
I hear ya. I agree they shouldn't go overboard paying for an FA at the position. But at the same time if you can get a known commodity for a decent price that's what you should do. We know DeAngelo Williams can play, we don't know if these lesser known guys can. And Williams has some tread left. The upcoming season will only be his 6th and he's averaged just 13 carries a game over his career, and went over 250 just once (2008). I highly doubt the Broncos sign him but he's certainly somebody to consider.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Just because there are players in the league that are UDFA at a position, doesn't meant thats how you get a player at that position. What kind of logic is that.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If one of those really good rookie rb fall to Broncos in 3rd round or something, and its a steal value wise, I think you have to pull the trigger.

No way you can have some set in stone draft board that says no RB first 4 rounds. Or we want a RB 6th or 7th round. The value there may be special team linebackers etc etc.

The football acumen on the board is plunging.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Just because there are players in the league that are UDFA at a position, doesn't meant thats how you get a player at that position. What kind of logic is that.
while i agree it isn't the prototypical way to bring in a guy, the RB position is the easiest position which to find late round or even undrafted talent.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
If one of those really good rookie rb fall to Broncos in 3rd round or something, and its a steal value wise, I think you have to pull the trigger.

No way you can have some set in stone draft board that says no RB first 4 rounds. Or we want a RB 6th or 7th round. The value there may be special team linebackers etc etc.

The football acumen on the board is plunging.
i am of that opinion even in the 2nd round. with the huge amount of DL talent and QBs expected to go in the 1st round if somehow Mark Ingram fell out of the 1st round i think it would become a must for Denver to pull the trigger on him.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #25
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
The "logic" is that when you look to see what players are top ten rushers in either conference some are UDFA, and most were not no 1 picks. Den had FIVE runners with over 1000 yards from 95-2008, and the highest pick used was a two. But this team is so bad, they shouldn't draft runners at all. And this is supposedly a bad year for rb.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote