The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Any 'Rasslers Out There?

My boy is competing for the Oklahoma 5A State title this weekend. It's pretty funny seeing my 295 lb kid cut weight like a sorority girl so he can make weigh ins.

It's also pretty funny to see the big guys in their singlets, throwing each other around.

Anyone else out there wrestle in their "glory days?"
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

GOOD LUCK TO YOUR SON!!!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Anyone else out there wrestle in their "glory days?"
only with girls, but it was more of a race, and i aint never been beat.

Good luck to your son
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

He's 295?

Jesus.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He's 295?

Jesus.
I'm pretty thankful that someone else will be buying his food next year...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wrestled a bit when I was young. I was pretty bad at it.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I liked having my face in another guy's sweaty crotch and his leg across my throat.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

got into states my senior year and basically broke down late in the season because I was cutting so much weight....naturally my senior year I weighed a little under 130 but they had me wrestling at 112 llbs.

started the season 16-1 but at a certain point in the season I was just too tired to go to class, participate in practices and it was just a war of wills to get my ass out there
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
schaaf

I wrestled Heavyweight at 275 My junior and senior year
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Does he carry it well? If so, any schools scouting him?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Does he carry it well? If so, any schools scouting him?
He's very athletic. Made Oklahoma 5A All-State at left tackle this year.

He really, really wants to graduate with an engineering degree, so after a long decision process, he signed with a DII team to play football next year. He will be playing for a school where over half the team are engineers so if he has problems with his Calc or Physics homework, he can ask another lineman at practice.

That being said, he already has a goal to work his ass off and ty his best to be considered for the Gene Upshaw award when he is an upper classman. That gets you an automatic bid to the East West Shrine game, and I think the Senior Bowl.

It was a hard decision to go DII, but I think it will be the right one for his future as an engineer.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

He really, really wants to graduate with an engineering degree, so after a long decision process, he signed with a DII team to play football next year. He will be playing for a school where over half the team are engineers so if he has problems with his Calc or Physics homework, he can ask another lineman at practice.

That being said, he already has a goal to work his ass off and ty his best to be considered for the Gene Upshaw award when he is an upper classman. That gets you an automatic bid to the East West Shrine game, and I think the Senior Bowl.

It was a hard decision to go DII, but I think it will be the right one for his future as an engineer.
That is just fantastic man. You must be extremely proud of his ability, and even more so his ability to make such a high character decision.

Great parenting, imo.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
I liked having my face in another guy's sweaty crotch and his leg across my throat.
Xanders....is that you?

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:

I was a wrestler in HS and college (DIII), and got an engineering degree while there. Athletics and Engineering is not an easy combination. I basically gave up on the wrestling dream after my sophomore year, it just got to be way too much to juggle.

pick two: athletics, social life, academics, job. That's what it boiled down to for me. If you have a less demanding major, you might be able to get away with three.

That being said, being a collegiate football player would play really, really well on a resume. If he can pull it off, it will be worth it for sure.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I am glad to see he chose Rolla. In the thread that you had about his choices I had suggested Rolla because I had worked with or known Engineer/Football players that had graduated from there. Excellent choice and good luck to your son, both at the State tournament and his college career/education.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I was a wrestler in HS and college (DIII), and got an engineering degree while there. Athletics and Engineering is not an easy combination. I basically gave up on the wrestling dream after my sophomore year, it just got to be way too much to juggle.

pick two: athletics, social life, academics, job. That's what it boiled down to for me. If you have a less demanding major, you might be able to get away with three.

That being said, being a collegiate football player would play really, really well on a resume. If he can pull it off, it will be worth it for sure.
Thanks for the insights, that was our line of thinking also. That's the main reason why we picked a DII school that is very geared towards academic success, rather than a DI program + engineering. I just didn't see any way he would be able to make that work. I know there are a few who do DI and engineering, but it just didn't seem realistic.

His coaches even encourage and fully support Internships and Co-ops. My jaw dropped on the floor when his main recruiter said, "hey, if you get the chance for an internship or co-op, you have to take it - that's why you are here." When I heard that, I knew we found the right program.

That being said, I think they will be pretty fun to watch. They recruited a 6'8" Tackle, got a 323 lb Guard transfer from Wisconsin, got a big Samoan Ju-Co transfer at Center, and they signed my son. They just got really big, really fast and it will be fun to see what they can do.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandlc View Post
I am glad to see he chose Rolla. In the thread that you had about his choices I had suggested Rolla because I had worked with or known Engineer/Football players that had graduated from there. Excellent choice and good luck to your son, both at the State tournament and his college career/education.
Thanks for the encouragement, he's happy to be a "Miner."
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #18
big56fan#1
Orange and Blue baby!!!!

i wrestled from 8th grade to senior yr in high school. won 1 match frist two yrs then as a soph and jr won 6 matches each yr. then as a senior everything came togeather I won 15. I went to state my freshman and senior yrs of high school. at the time everyone went to state tourny so i dont like to count the freshman yr state tourny, but senior yr i earned it was ranked #1 seed at divisionals and placed 3rd cuz i got a big head when i went up againest a guy i beat several times, came back next matched pizzed off and pinned the guy in 10 sec. with russian arm bar i was like holy cow did i just do that dang...lol. I wrestled heavy weight divison in Wyoming and Montana 190 lbs to 275 lbs as frashman i was 190-200 lbs wrestling guys 245 plus lbs, as senior I got to 230 -245 lbs. Overall I loved the sport, something bout going one on one againest your opponent no team just you and the other guy.GOOD LUCK to your boy.
big56fan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
That is just fantastic man. You must be extremely proud of his ability, and even more so his ability to make such a high character decision.

Great parenting, imo.
I second that. He shouldnt have to worry about football being his only way to a career if he gets into engineering. I believe the good parenting comes from you not allowing your young son to watch Ghostbusters.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #20
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. Feeding a high school football player, one who has aspirations to make it to the next level, is expensive. Your son must have been eating a lot to get that big. My son is a freshman WR, and to move up to varsity as a sophomore, he needs to put on a good 20 to 25 lbs by next season. So he's eating a lot. If he can get a scholarship, like your son, I'm going to be happy saving money on college and feeding him for the most part.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Ain't that the truth. Feeding a high school football player, one who has aspirations to make it to the next level, is expensive. Your son must have been eating a lot to get that big. My son is a freshman WR, and to move up to varsity as a sophomore, he needs to put on a good 20 to 25 lbs by next season. So he's eating a lot. If he can get a scholarship, like your son, I'm going to be happy saving money on college and feeding him for the most part.
Good luck to your son and keep us updated, i'd like to hear how he does moving up to varsity.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Good luck to your son and keep us updated, i'd like to hear how he does moving up to varsity.
Well he already has the ego of a super star WR.

Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Well he already has the ego of a super star WR.

That's pretty awesome, you have to start with the right attitude... He's going to love looking back at that picture someday.