The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default 2011 Combine Thread

So, there won't be football for a while, at least we can watch them simulate football in their gym shorts...

Official nfl.com combine page:
http://www.nfl.com/combine

There is a Mayock story entitled: Mayock: Best defensive end class I’ve seen
link: http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/18/mayo...ass-i’ve-seen/

Actual Combine starts Thursday. Here is the schedule:
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Schedule:
Attached Images

cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Group6 on day 2,
Everybody on days 3 and 4.
Those last 2 days are going to have our top 4 picks I think.

We need the CBA settled before April so we can do some trading and get more mid round picks.

Last edited by driver; 02-22-2011 at 01:10 PM..
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Anybody have some insights about the combine? I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
schaaf

If we're looking for Offensive Tackle Depth check out my boy

Mike Person out of Montana State

He was the captain senior year, Didn't allow a sack in his last two years of college. Two Time all American.

6'5 300 lbs.

Two Time state Discus champion and Also started on a state championship basketball team.

He is athletic and plays through the whistle on every single play.

You guys should check him out
Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

« Never a moment of restAlabama’s Dareus shooting to follow Sapp’s path »
Combine
Dareus draws attention, but everyone wants Newton By NFL.com Staff |
Published: February 26th, 2011 | Tags: Cam Newton, 2011 NFL Scouting Combine, Marcell Dareus
INDIANAPOLIS — After an extremely quiet Saturday morning inside the NFL Scouting Combine media center, the gaggle of reporters was awoken by the public-address announcement that Alabama DT Marcell Dareus was available on Podium C.

Dareus is one of the top defensive-line prospects in this year’s draft class, so media members halted their chatter about planned or previous dinners at St. Elmo Steakhouse, the NFL’s unofficial boardroom this week, then rushed to the podium for the first big-name player of the day.

But honestly, everyone at Lucas Oil Stadium is on pins and needles waiting for Auburn QB Cam Newton. Reporters are wondering aloud when Newton will hit the podium, and times are being thrown out seemingly willy-nilly. It will be sometime Saturday, and that’s when this place will come alive, a la Tim Tebow‘s appearance last year.

– Justin Hathaway
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Is this a new thing that every team gets 15 minutes for an interview with each prospect?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Great thread man. Thanks for posting!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Jeez, Gabbert seems a little agitated that he's being upstaged by Newton:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110225/...who_s_the_best

I've heard some talk about Gabbert being the best QB pro prospect in this draft, why is that? What's so great about the guy?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post

He was the captain senior year, Didn't allow a sack in his last two years of college. Two Time all American.

6'5 300 lbs.

Two Time state Discus champion and Also started on a state championship basketball team.

Too bad he played at such a ****ty school.

Go Griz.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Too bad he played at such a ****ty school.

Go Griz.
Haha I forgot you went to Missoula!

Went up there for Cat/Griz this year when the CATS won haha

Love visiting there but I couldn't go to college in the zoo, too many damn hippies!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Tale of the tape on top D-line prospects By NFL.com Staff
|
Defensive linemen, considered to be a strength of this year’s draft class, were weighed and measured Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Here’s a look at how the four Tier 1 linemen in NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt‘s “Hot 100″ prospects list came out:

Clemson DE Da’Quan Bowers: 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds, with 33 1/8-inch arm length. His light frame helps him bring good speed for the position.

Alabama DT Marcell Dareus: 6-foot-3 and 319 pounds, with 33 3/8-inch arm length. He’s projected as a fit for both 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes.

Auburn DE Nick Fairley: 6-foot-3 and 291 pounds, with 34 3/4-inch arm length. He’s seen as a top prospect after a sensational junior season in which he registered 11.5 sacks.

North Carolina DE Robert Quinn: 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, with 34-inch arm length. His good reach and height might be enough to entice scouts despite the fact he missed his senior season after violating NCAA rules.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Is this a new thing that every team gets 15 minutes for an interview with each prospect?
No, that has always been the case, I think you get 30 interviews of 15 minutes.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Jeez, Gabbert seems a little agitated that he's being upstaged by Newton:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110225/...who_s_the_best

I've heard some talk about Gabbert being the best QB pro prospect in this draft, why is that? What's so great about the guy?
He played in a much more pro like system at Mizzou and has 2 full years of starting experience, he is also a pretty accurate passer with a good demeanor.

I think the QB class of this year is quite weak over all, Cam Newton is a 1 year starter who relies heavily on his athletic ability and has some concerns about his dedication and readiness. Mallett has some awesome stats and a live arm, but is not too accurate and with drug rumors and work ethic questions swirling he is not a guy most teams would make the face of a franchise. Jake Locker really didn't progress at all as a senior and I think a lot of people are questioning if he is accurate enough and has the ability to learn to read an NFL defense. Gabbert by virtue of not having a lot of detractors compared to the others is right now the safe pick at QB, and since there are always teams with needs at QB, he is projected pretty highly.

If I look at the last 3 years QB draft trends, I would be surprised if Cam Newton is not a top 15 pick and Gabbert should be a top 20 pick, but other than those 2 I am not so sure there will be other QBs drafted in the 1st round. Locker could potentially be a 31st or 32nd pick if a team trades up, but it seems unlikely unless he has a monster workout.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Locker is the only college senior in that top group of QB's. That may help him become the best of them. Mallet, Newton, Gabbert, all are coming out early.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
|
Defensive linemen, considered to be a strength of this year’s draft class, were weighed and measured Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Here’s a look at how the four Tier 1 linemen in NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt‘s “Hot 100″ prospects list came out:

Clemson DE Da’Quan Bowers: 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds, with 33 1/8-inch arm length. His light frame helps him bring good speed for the position.

Alabama DT Marcell Dareus: 6-foot-3 and 319 pounds, with 33 3/8-inch arm length. He’s projected as a fit for both 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes.

Auburn DE Nick Fairley: 6-foot-3 and 291 pounds, with 34 3/4-inch arm length. He’s seen as a top prospect after a sensational junior season in which he registered 11.5 sacks.

North Carolina DE Robert Quinn: 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, with 34-inch arm length. His good reach and height might be enough to entice scouts despite the fact he missed his senior season after violating NCAA rules.
When this is all said and done, people are going to be clamoring for Robert Quinn. 6'4 265 and he will likely run in the 4.5s. He is going to benefit from this combine, probably more than any other prospect. In fact, if he runs in the 4.5s and interviews well, you may see the Broncos take a liking to him.

I still prefer Bowers, Dareus, and Fairley (in that order). I think Bowers has a great skill set and can add a pass rushing dimension to our defense. Problem is, do you play him at Doom's spot or Ayers spot? Play him at Doom's spot and you gain in run D, but lose out on those first and second down pass rushes. Play him at Ayers spot and you still have a liability vs the run with Doom.

Decisions Decisions... either way, we will come out of this draft with a stud on the DL!!!

A couple projections,

Fairley- 4.99 40, 22 Reps, and a 9' Broad Jump.
Dareus- 5.2 40, 34 Reps, and a 8' (even) Broad Jump
Robert Quinn- 4.53 40, 20 Reps, 10'3" Broad Jump and a 38" Vertical.
Von Miller- 4.69 40, 22 Reps, 9'8" Broad Jump and a 34" Vertical.

Bowers is going to run I don't think, but He'll likely be in the 4.75 range.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

We better not take another guy from UNC named Quinn. The one we got is a buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
We better not take another guy from UNC named Quinn. The one we got is a buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust.
Its worse than that, Robert is Richard's Brother!!!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Marcell Dareus: The nicer, safer option to Nick Fairley

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/26/marcel-dareus-the-nicer-safer-option-to-nick-fairley/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 26, 2011, 12:16 PM EST

Asked to describe himself on Saturday as a player, Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus didn’t hesitate.

“I would describe myself as a nice guy,” Dareus said, noting that if he knocks a player down, he picks him up.

We can’t help but contrast that answer to Dareus’ competition as the draft’s top defensive tackle: Nick Fairley of Auburn. Fairley has a reputation as a dirty player, who got a ridiculous amount of penalties for hits after the whistle.

While Fairley has received more hype as a potential top overall pick, NFL Network’s Warren Sapp believes Dareus is the better “three-technique” tackle — the position that Sapp redefined. That’s not by accident; Dareus mentioned Sapp as a player he patterns his game after.

“I love Warren Sapp,” Dareus said. “Watching Warren Sapp made me want to play football.”

Sapp and Dareus have never spoken. PFT asked Dareus what Sapp’s praise meant to him and he just smiled huge and said it meant a lot, before noting Sapp won’t be the one drafting.

With better size and fewer questions about consistency, Dareus looks like the stronger, possibly safer option to Fairley. Dareus embraced the “safe” tag, saying his versatility and experience under Nick Saban indeed makes him a safe pick.
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Mallett just tanked some of his stock. Ryan Leaf without as much talent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...terviews022611
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Its worse than that, Robert is Richard's Brother!!!
I don't know if they're related, but they're not brothers.
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post

6'5 300 lbs.

Basketball part isn't true.... but he is a stud.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #23
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

and.... the track part isn't true either.... 1 time state champ.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
|

Wow Fairly is only 291 poiunds? I figured he top out over 300 for sure. Dareus is almost 30 pounds bigger than him. You have to wonder if Fairley is big enough to play inside at that weight in the NFL. Bowers is a little smaller than thought also.

Can't wait to see what Peterson, Cameron Jordan and the Akeem Ayers the do at the combine...Phil Taylor also.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
When this is all said and done, people are going to be clamoring for Robert Quinn. 6'4 265 and he will likely run in the 4.5s. He is going to benefit from this combine, probably more than any other prospect. In fact, if he runs in the 4.5s and interviews well, you may see the Broncos take a liking to him.
I still prefer Bowers, Dareus, and Fairley (in that order). I think Bowers has a great skill set and can add a pass rushing dimension to our defense. Problem is, do you play him at Doom's spot or Ayers spot? Play him at Doom's spot and you gain in run D, but lose out on those first and second down pass rushes. Play him at Ayers spot and you still have a liability vs the run with Doom.

Decisions Decisions... either way, we will come out of this draft with a stud on the DL!!!

A couple projections,

Fairley- 4.99 40, 22 Reps, and a 9' Broad Jump.
Dareus- 5.2 40, 34 Reps, and a 8' (even) Broad Jump
Robert Quinn- 4.53 40, 20 Reps, 10'3" Broad Jump and a 38" Vertical.
Von Miller- 4.69 40, 22 Reps, 9'8" Broad Jump and a 34" Vertical.

Bowers is going to run I don't think, but He'll likely be in the 4.75 range.
Quinn might drop out of the top 10 due to missing last season but he could be the steal of the draft.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote