The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default I would NOT draft Cam Newton/ any other bust possibilities?

I just watched Cam Newton's pro day and had the thought that I wouldn't draft this guy unless he fell to the bottom of the third round. Maybe not even then. He may have some athleticism, but the clouds hanging over this guy just scream first round bust. The Florida laptop thing, the Miss. St. controversy, his father being a complete wild card....he just isn't a guy I'd pay that much money to.

Are there any other guys out there that you would avoid because of bust possibilities?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Boss Man
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

wait...so you think he is going to be a bust because of non-football related issues, not because of his football ability?(he is a very dedicated young football player)(not a headcase that just thrives off of his natural ability, which he also has a lot of). Sure hes had his share of issues but not enough that should warrent a bust label IMO BECAUSE of non-football related issues.
Boss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Champagne Powder
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What you watched wasn't Newton's pro day. NFL scouts weren't even allowed to attend the workout. It was a publicity stunt for the media which was orchestrated by his father and representatives.
Champagne Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I won't say anything bad about Cam Newton, simply because I really really want Carolina to draft him, so we have our pick of defensive players.

All that being said, Cam is Tebow, without the track record, without the intangibles, without the leadership, and without the moral code. It will be interesting to see who is a better QB in 5 years. But I know where I stand on that debate.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
I just watched Cam Newton's pro day and had the thought that I wouldn't draft this guy unless he fell to the bottom of the third round. Maybe not even then. He may have some athleticism, but the clouds hanging over this guy just scream first round bust. The Florida laptop thing, the Miss. St. controversy, his father being a complete wild card....he just isn't a guy I'd pay that much money to.

Are there any other guys out there that you would avoid because of bust possibilities?
you need to check yourself. Cam Newton is the second coming of John Elway/Steve Young and Tom Brady all rolled into one. I see him being the best QB in the enire draft, and perhaps the most talented QB prospect the last 10 years or so.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
you need to check yourself. Cam Newton is the second coming of John Elway/Steve Young and Tom Brady all rolled into one. I see him being the best QB in the enire draft, and perhaps the most talented QB prospect the last 10 years or so.
As long as 1 team behind us in the draft thinks he is going to be the best ever, I am all for it... Trade up and give us your picks.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I don't want to call him a potential bust, but Adrian Clayborne scares me because he has some condition that causes weakness in one shoulder. Obviously he makes do just fine in college, but I would worry about any kind of flaw when we're talking first rounders. Second round is for stuff like that. You know, receivers with nerve damage in their hands, or what have you.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Cam Newton WILL be a top ten pick in the upcoming NFL draft.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

I wouldn't be shocked to see him go #1 overall.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see him go #1 overall.
I would pay Kool and the Gang whatever they wanted to follow me around for a week and play Celebration non stop if that happened.

Unless we subsequently drafted Peterson
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Cam Newton WILL be a top ten pick in the upcoming NFL draft.
I think it would do him a world of good to al least come to the combine and run his 40. His natural athleticism would get a few teams drooling.

He can set up his own passing event on his personal "pro day," but if I was his agent (or his manipulative dad), I would have him at least come to the combine and run.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Man View Post
wait...so you think he is going to be a bust because of non-football related issues, not because of his football ability?(he is a very dedicated young football player)(not a headcase that just thrives off of his natural ability, which he also has a lot of). Sure hes had his share of issues but not enough that should warrent a bust label IMO BECAUSE of non-football related issues.
It all goes into the equation., And to me, at QB, the biggest asset you can have is intelligence, both real IQ and football smarts. His track record has shown immaturity at best. Add to that his Father looming over the situation....no thank you.

Also, Cam is a running QB, he is not a drop back passer. IMO there have only been two running QBs in this league that were pro-bowl caliber -- Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton. For the kind of money you are paying in the first round this year, there are just too many red flags around Newton. When it come s down to it, I do not believe Newton will be worth a first round pick. (And no, Michael Vick is not a great QB. Just great at killing dogs.)

Feel free to bump this thread in three or four years if he is in the pro bowl. But I look at it this way; Vince Young had much better intangibles when he came out of Texas. How did that turn out?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Sorry but Newton is not going top 10 let alone #1
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Sorry but Newton is not going top 10 let alone #1
He's already had a workout and the media/scouts are already drooling over him.

This will only continue as people watch his game film and he has more workouts.

He will have a high draft pick.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Yes, he probably will be drafted pretty high, but I think that's a mistake. My prediction? Newton goes around #18 or so.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.

Source: Peter King on Twitter
Feb 22, 4:54 PM

Oh Boy
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #17
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

...is what I'm saying.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I don't want to call him a potential bust, but Adrian Clayborne scares me because he has some condition that causes weakness in one shoulder. Obviously he makes do just fine in college, but I would worry about any kind of flaw when we're talking first rounders. Second round is for stuff like that. You know, receivers with nerve damage in their hands, or what have you.
People say all kinds of things about his erb's palsy. One Scout called him "the one armed wonder" Is he more strong with his left arm or are people seeing things? I think people are seeing things here. I really think its misdirection to drive his value down. I do not see a thing wrong with his right arm on tape, in fact his hand use is better than any other DE in this draft to me. Not bad for a high school LB.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #19
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Plenty of other guys due to mental factors alone. Robert Quinn and Marvin Austin are up there. Aldon Smith is ultra raw, and should have stayed in school to me. Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston are way overrated at this point to me. They are one trick ponies and struggle to stay disciplined. Brandon Harris and Aaron Williams are too inconsistent for me to want in the first round.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I feel sorry for the team that drafts Newton. He's just a disaster looking for someplace to happen. A whiff of Jamarcus.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Gil Brandt would be “shocked” if Cam Newton isn’t taken first overall

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/22/gil-brandt-would-be-shocked-if-cam-newton-isnt-taken-first-overall/

Former Cowboys personnel man Gil Brandt was a draft guru even before other NFL teams had true draft gurus.

So we take his accrued experience seriously, and his experience says that talent always wins out in the draft. And Brandt thinks Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is the most talented player available.

“It would shock me . . . if he’s not the first player picked,” Brandt told the Forth Worth Star-Telegram on Monday. “If I was drafting and I had Carolina’s [No. 1] pick, I’d feel really good about who I was getting as far as ability. I just hope he realizes how hard he needs to work.”

Draftniks have gone from projecting Newton as a late first-round pick to a top-five selection. Nothing has really changed for Newton since the BCS title game, but this is the time of year that draft analysts usually start learning how the NFL actually views players. Then they adjust their own rankings to more closely match those views. (Gotta nail those Mock drafts!)

Brandt now writes for NFL.com as a draft analyst; his job is to get a feel for how NFL teams see prospects. We suspect he’s not the only one with this opinion on Newton.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.

Source: Peter King on Twitter
Feb 22, 4:54 PM

Oh Boy
Oh boy, indeed. Those quotes are getting a lot of attention. He seems kind of awkward in his personal presentation.

But he's also going to do all the drills at the combine. My opinion is he's worth taking a chance on for the right team. He seems plenty dedicated to work on whatever deficiencies he has.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
As long as 1 team behind us in the draft thinks he is going to be the best ever, I am all for it... Trade up and give us your picks.
Yeah, one of the best scenarios for Denver is someone wants one of the top QB's so badly they'll swap #1's, add in another 2011 pick or two.

Denver can still get one of the better DL prospects and hopefully it builds the roster better.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #24
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
It all goes into the equation., And to me, at QB, the biggest asset you can have is intelligence, both real IQ and football smarts. His track record has shown immaturity at best. Add to that his Father looming over the situation....no thank you.

Also, Cam is a running QB, he is not a drop back passer. IMO there have only been two running QBs in this league that were pro-bowl caliber -- Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton. For the kind of money you are paying in the first round this year, there are just too many red flags around Newton. When it come s down to it, I do not believe Newton will be worth a first round pick. (And no, Michael Vick is not a great QB. Just great at killing dogs.)

Feel free to bump this thread in three or four years if he is in the pro bowl. But I look at it this way; Vince Young had much better intangibles when he came out of Texas. How did that turn out?
Vince young had some problms with his intellegance. He couldnt hit the broad side of a barn either. Those are huge when you look at Qbs I laughed when i seen he was drafted. As far as prospects go i would take cam newton over vince young. Having said that cam newton has a long ways to go

One thing i noted was he hand size of Cam newton.. i think i read it was only 9 3/4 not real good.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #25
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Plenty of other guys due to mental factors alone. Robert Quinn and Marvin Austin are up there. Aldon Smith is ultra raw, and should have stayed in school to me. Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston are way overrated at this point to me. They are one trick ponies and struggle to stay disciplined. Brandon Harris and Aaron Williams are too inconsistent for me to want in the first round.
Yah i was gonna mention Ayers. From the sounds of it he has no football instincts.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: