The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your Prediction: The Lockout ends...
Before it even starts on March 4th 10 11.49%
Later in March 9 10.34%
April 8 9.20%
May 2 2.30%
June 4 4.60%
July 7 8.05%
August 14 16.09%
September 14 16.09%
October 10 11.49%
November 1 1.15%
December 0 0%
January 12 1 1.15%
February 12 3 3.45%
March 12 1 1.15%
April '12 or later 3 3.45%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Your Prediction: The Lockout ends...

Adam Schefter
Text from plugged-in NFL person: "This CBA has no chance. The owners don't a deal. Take a break - a month off. You won't miss anything."

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
backup qb
Ring of Famer

Unfortunately, I think sometime in August.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

What pisses me off is that if I want to keep my season tix which we've had forever and a day I have to give ****ing Pat Bowlen what equates to a interest free loan of
almost $5K until a decision is made, and then, and only then I can either request a refund, or if they come to an agreement, receive my tix for next year.

****ing arrogant a-holes (the league, the owners and the players).
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'll say August, but I really don't have a clue. There doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency right now. But Goodell has said he'll reduce his salary to $1 from $10 mil so maybe he feels some urgency, but I'm not sure if the other parties feel the same way. Canceling scheduled meetings doesn't sound good.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

if the NFL thinks they wont lose fans over this, they are crazy. you cant have these people spitting in the face of fans constantly and expect people to just take it. they are fighting over an amount of money that .000000001% of the fans will ever see. such a large number of fans are middle class or poor, and these idiots expect us to sit on the side and feel sorry for one group or the other?

they all disgust me, because at the end of the day, every dollar they make comes at the hand of us, and they simply dont care.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Adam Schefter
Text from plugged-in NFL person: "This CBA has no chance. The owners don't a deal. Take a break - a month off. You won't miss anything."

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
Text from a plugged-in NFL person? Based off the bolded "sentence", I'm going to go with Josina.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Some articles:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/...or_agents_view

This is a good one:

Who's greedier, the millionaires or billionaires?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/...im_litke021011

"Owners and players are fighting over how to divvy up roughly $9 billion in revenues. The average franchise is valued at just over $1 billion and the average player salary is just under $2 million. Yet they're still so far apart on a new deal that Thursday's bargaining session ended after just two hours without a word on when it might resume."

"But the early deal-breaker appears to be the owners' demand to take $2 billion from the pot — instead of the $1 billion set out in the last deal — even before discussions start on how to split the rest of the economic pie."

The players essentially have to give back some revenue they gained with the last CBA, and aren't getting anything in return. That's how it looks to me, anyway. Less revenue, and split over 18 games instead of 16 is the owner's proposal, I guess.

This is gonna take some creativity, and labor negotiations are not generally known for creativity, more for stubborness and acrimony.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The conventional wisdom is it's a battle between billionaire owners and millionaire players, with the public unlikely to have much sympathy for either. In fact, it's beginning to look more like billionaire owners against the world — players, related businesses poised to suffer collateral damage and pretty much anyone who balks at a $9 beer.

Read more: Krieger: Lockout is a lock, sadly - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci...#ixzz1DlIfunnV
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

but then you can make teh case the owners are charging $9 a beer because the players are getting such ridiculous salaries...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I say August. It will take that long for their greed to overpower their egos.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

The owners need to stop being so greedy. I believe the players wanted to do 50-50 of total revenue of the $9 billion, while the owners want a $2 billion credit before they split. Basically, the owners want 60% of the pot which I feel is going way to far.
What it might take to get it resolved would be a $1 billion credit and then a 50-50 split of the remaining.
Then it would end up basically 55% for the owners, 45% for the players.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
but then you can make teh case the owners are charging $9 a beer because the players are getting such ridiculous salaries...
No, because some people actually bend over, and pay that much for 12oz of swill.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

I say July, because by then, the owner will have a high percentage of season ticket holders requesting full refunds, and that'll hurt their caviar lifestyles, especially if they aren't getting revenue from tv contracts and advertisements.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Reminder to NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers: cancel your automatically renewing subscription until this issue is fixed. DirecTV is already making this difficult by requiring that you call in to cancel, instead of being able to manage your account online.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
What pisses me off is that if I want to keep my season tix which we've had forever and a day I have to give ****ing Pat Bowlen what equates to a interest free loan of
almost $5K until a decision is made, and then, and only then I can either request a refund, or if they come to an agreement, receive my tix for next year.

****ing arrogant a-holes (the league, the owners and the players).
What really amazes me is that you're willing to pay ****ing Pat Bowlen $5K to put yourself through the agony of watching Tim Tebow play for the Broncos for the next 10 years. Humm... I think that would be $50K
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
What really amazes me is that you're willing to pay ****ing Pat Bowlen $5K to put yourself through the agony of watching Tim Tebow play for the Broncos for the next 10 years. Humm... I think that would be $50K
I'm not. I'm going to keep my seats, sell them to TimBowNites this season, and make a buck or two. **** Pat Bowlen, Mr Goody Two Shoes and theose pesky ass TimBowNites.

I might go to one or two games just for nostalgia's sake.

Probably fix up the RV (paint, tune-up) and sell it.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #17
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
I'm not. I'm going to keep my seats, sell them to TimBowNites this season, and make a buck or two. **** Pat Bowlen, Mr Goody Two Shoes and theose pesky ass TimBowNites.

I might go to one or two games just for nostalgia's sake.

Probably fix up the RV (paint, tune-up) and sell it.
Yep, I woulld definitely keep the seats and who knows you might be changing your name to TebowgateNut........ worse things could happen.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Find a new favorite sport for a year
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

It will be May..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #20
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Why do people wait till the last second to get anything done. They created their own sense of urgency by not getting this deal done earlier. Now it may be too late....shamefull.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

If this thing goes into September, they are going to have to do a lot of reshuffling with schedules/hotels/bye weeks/Super Bowl scheduling/extremely angry fan bases. Why deal with all of that when they can come to their senses and get this thing done now. Get it done now please!!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
There is greed and blame on both sides of the fence. Both groups wanna bigger chunk of the prize pig - us and all of our purchasing of their stuff. Its more than a bit of a turn off.

I think all in the NFL - players, owners, execs - have over-estimated their position, the esteem to which their product is held in the eyes of the American consumer. I think they believe they can have a work stoppage, sling mud, bicker, etc, and when they are all done squabbling that we, like zombies, will funnel back to the TV (and stadiums) to consume their package. And maybe we will.

However, it took years for MLB to recover from its strike. And it only recovered from the strike by having a period where it turned a blind eye to cheating which allowed the players to put up eye popping stats. Hockey had its lock out a few years ago, and now is on life support here in the States. Fortunately for the NHL, Hockey is Canada is football, baseball, and basketball all rolled into one.

I know that this crowd here represents the most die hard of fans, so I assume most of the folks here will be those that will funnel back to the product. And so be it. I am not here to criticize. But I will say this if they have a work stoppage/strike/shortened season. First, I hope that the American populace as a whole gives the NFL a cold shoulder. And secondly, it will be a long time before I pry open my wallet to buy a DirectTv package, a jersey, a T shirt, much less the day trip to Denver to watch a game.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

You are preaching to the choir brother, I just hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #24
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I chose October because I believe the owners will take it to preseason and a few months is as long as I believe players can hold out. A few things to remember when considering the Owners ability to ride this out deep into 2012:

1. TV contracts are guaranteed. That's plenty to tie these guys over.

2. The Owners took out an insurance policy against a lockout 2 years ago that they are going to cash in on. The PA hasn't done that since they are supposed to just rely on Union dues.

3. Players are comparatively horrible at saving money and spending frugally. That's not a knock on them, it's just looking at this from a realistic perspective. Owners are better (for the most part) at managing their money because they are running an organization whereas players are running their livelihood. An owner can see his business lose money and still have a home, food and things to do. A player has himself at that's it, and when he goes from making a few mil a year to union dues, that shock would be hard on anyone. This is especially true when you consider half these guys went to schools where their academic experience consisted of the coach telling the teacher what grade he gets, and then if they even did get a degree, it was usually in something completely useless like political science or psychology.

The players are going to get absolutely crushed, and the owners know this but they also know it will take a real lockout to bring them to their knees and that means playing this at least into the preseason.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #25
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Yep, I woulld definitely keep the seats and who knows you might be changing your name to TebowgateNut........ worse things could happen.

You can't change an old dog.