The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default NFL drops the ball for 400 Super Bowl fans

Amazing...they knew about this early last week and did nothing. Pretty bush league move.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-317924
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Well, if you can spend 9 grand per ticket, I don't think this inconvenience will cripple you financially.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Well, if you can spend 9 grand per ticket, I don't think this inconvenience will cripple you financially.
It didn't say he spent $9 grand per ticket, just that he spent that on the entire thing, probably several tickets and travel etc... In any case, the point is, why the hell didn't they do something about this when they had the chance? People spent money to see their team in the Superbowl. How'd you like it if you dumped thousands to go see the Broncos in the Superbowl and when you got there they told you, "Sorry Charlie, you don't have ticket after all, but you can come back next year though."

Ridiculously bad move by the NFL all the way around.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
It didn't say he spent $9 grand per ticket, just that he spent that on the entire thing, probably several tickets and travel etc... In any case, the point is, why the hell didn't they do something about this when they had the chance? People spent money to see their team in the Superbowl. How'd you like it if you dumped thousands to go see the Broncos in the Superbowl and when you got there they told you, "Sorry Charlie, you don't have ticket after all, but you can come back next year though."

Ridiculously bad move by the NFL all the way around.
I'd probably take them to court.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,730

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I just read where they are going to give them tickets to 2012 SB. So I'm thinking, will there be a 2012 SB and would their team be in it. I'd be pissed, overly pissed, especially if I were a Packer fan.

But damn, I'd still go to the 2012 SB.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I'd probably take them to court.
400 fans? Some attorney is already working on it, guaranteed.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 14,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

You have to love the balls on whoever offered tickets for next year's non-existant superbowl as a consolation prize. That's some funny shiat right there.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
NUB
Just Crafted
 
NUB's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,529

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
You have to love the balls on whoever offered tickets for next year's non-existant superbowl as a consolation prize. That's some funny shiat right there.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,620

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Welcome to Goodell's NFL.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
jmz313
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,386
Default

Thats Clown Shoes for any Packer fans in the 400. Its not like that many true fans even get to go to the game since its just a giant corporate shin-dig. They couldn't find room for 400 (persumably Steeler/Packers Fans) people to at least be in the stadium for the game? Nice move Goodell.

Poor Consultation attempt to boot.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,530
Default

Some guys on the radio here were saying what could you sue them for, what damages?
I'm thinking, hello, air plane tickets and hotel plus the meals is at least a grand.
Plus, you could probably hit the NFL pretty hard for selling something that in the end, didn't even exist.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
Boss Man
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 237

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

i know if i dropped 9gs to watch my broncos in the superbowl, and got ***ed out of it, i would go ape****
Boss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Some guys on the radio here were saying what could you sue them for, what damages?
I'm thinking, hello, air plane tickets and hotel plus the meals is at least a grand.
Plus, you could probably hit the NFL pretty hard for selling something that in the end, didn't even exist.
A grand? Maybe if you stayed at Motel 6 and drove in for the game. A $69 hotel room 15 miles away was going for $400, parking was running $500 or more within walking distance...etc...etc. Considering the cost of travel, food, hotels, lost time from work not to mention the tickets themselves you can probably figure a family of 4 might spend 8,000-$10,000 , roughly $3-4 million in total damages. Jerry Jones is gonne get hit since it's his stadium and the fire marshall issue was probably something the Cowboys were responsible for clearing. The NFL should take an ugly PR hit as well as a civil judgement. I guess they can all afford it but it's just the perfect example of why the game is no longer about the fans it's about the fat TV contracts, the corporate big shots who pay for luxury suites, etc...
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac
 
crawdad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 5,197

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Yes, and the fact that many of these "big shots" are not even watching the game!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Is there anyone on here with actual legal experience (Beantown, I'm looking at you)? I would be very surprised if there's any legal leg to stand on for a lawsuit. There has to have been some reserve clause on the ticket saying something to the effect of "the NFL has the right to refuse the ticketholder admission at his discretion for any reason". Hell, movie tickets have that disclaimer. I'd be surprised if a Super Bowl ticket didn't.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Is there anyone on here with actual legal experience (Beantown, I'm looking at you)? I would be very surprised if there's any legal leg to stand on for a lawsuit. There has to have been some reserve clause on the ticket saying something to the effect of "the NFL has the right to refuse the ticketholder admission at his discretion for any reason". Hell, movie tickets have that disclaimer. I'd be surprised if a Super Bowl ticket didn't.
The NFL will suffer a bigger financial black eye trying to fight doing the right thing than they would by just doing it. In a year where the fan sympathy might be important in terms of the coming labor dispute and it's ultimate resolution, it seems like the wrong battle at the wrong time for the NFL to be waging. For what? The cost of a single free agent lineman? This is a league with billions in revenue so now we'll see if they can see the forest for the trees here.

Legally, I know airline tickets usually come with fine print that mentions things like natural disasters or terrorism las things that can cause you to be SOL but ****ing up the fire marshall's inspection? Some judge is gonne have to keep a straight face on this if it gets that far. If they've ttruly covered their asses with an all inclusive, "we get to screw you no matter what and there's nothing you can do about it" kind of clause, well then I suppose they'll "win" this thing...if that constitutes a win. I don't think it would.

The stupid rules changes that ruining the game by putting skirts on players, which both players and fans don't want, the supposed zero tolerance stance Goodell has for OTF issues, but not necessarily...the cost of even regular season game tickets, the economy in general, things like this latest fiasco...they're all adding up to a league that is lacking in leadership from the Commish himself. We'll see how he gets through the labor dispute but right now his stock would be falling if I were betting on his future in the long term. Goodell seems like an empty suit does he not?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
willyallthewei
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Is there anyone on here with actual legal experience (Beantown, I'm looking at you)? I would be very surprised if there's any legal leg to stand on for a lawsuit. There has to have been some reserve clause on the ticket saying something to the effect of "the NFL has the right to refuse the ticketholder admission at his discretion for any reason". Hell, movie tickets have that disclaimer. I'd be surprised if a Super Bowl ticket didn't.
Generally, when refusing admission, there has to be a refund or some equivalent remedy. However, they will have a very hard time claiming that this year's Super Bowl is special to the point where they would get damages beyond the ticket price.

They will have a real shot at getting back the money they spent on travel/lodging. If they bought it through E-bay, they may be screwed all together.

There's probably an arbitration clause, which may or may not apply because they never got to see the game. If it applies, they can't sue. And, i wouldn't be surprised if the "free" tickets and money given out come with some agreement, in which they would sign away their right to take legal action.

Last edited by willyallthewei; 02-08-2011 at 08:34 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder
 
RMT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 3,296
Default

The NFL should give those 400 people free tickets to EVERY Super Bowl until their team makes it BACK to a Super Bowl. That way their amount of reimbursed damages will increase every year until their team (Steelers or Packers) make it back to the game.

At least this way the fans would eventually get to see THEIR team play.
RMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
The NFL will suffer a bigger financial black eye trying to fight doing the right thing than they would by just doing it. In a year where the fan sympathy might be important in terms of the coming labor dispute and it's ultimate resolution, it seems like the wrong battle at the wrong time for the NFL to be waging. For what? The cost of a single free agent lineman? This is a league with billions in revenue so now we'll see if they can see the forest for the trees here.

Legally, I know airline tickets usually come with fine print that mentions things like natural disasters or terrorism las things that can cause you to be SOL but ****ing up the fire marshall's inspection? Some judge is gonne have to keep a straight face on this if it gets that far. If they've ttruly covered their asses with an all inclusive, "we get to screw you no matter what and there's nothing you can do about it" kind of clause, well then I suppose they'll "win" this thing...if that constitutes a win. I don't think it would.

The stupid rules changes that ruining the game by putting skirts on players, which both players and fans don't want, the supposed zero tolerance stance Goodell has for OTF issues, but not necessarily...the cost of even regular season game tickets, the economy in general, things like this latest fiasco...they're all adding up to a league that is lacking in leadership from the Commish himself. We'll see how he gets through the labor dispute but right now his stock would be falling if I were betting on his future in the long term. Goodell seems like an empty suit does he not?
Agreed for the most part. Unfortunately, the NFL is on a streak of bad commissioners as they try to maximize money. Tagliabue got into the labor deal that left us in the current situation and then Goodell took over and seems to be trying to be the face of the NFL himself rather than presiding over it.

Unfortunately, I think this comes down to fans taking the game back. As long as there's season ticket waiting lines and people will attend no matter what happens, owners and the NFL front office will just be trying to take the process for all they can.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Yep, tickets to next years super bowl to watch the Bronco's when they are Steeler fans make perfect sense to me .........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,730

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Jerry Jones is gonne get hit since it's his stadium and the fire marshall issue was probably something the Cowboys were responsible for clearing.
That's what I was thinking. He had how long to get this thing together?
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
The NFL should give those 400 people free tickets to EVERY Super Bowl until their team makes it BACK to a Super Bowl. That way their amount of reimbursed damages will increase every year until their team (Steelers or Packers) make it back to the game.

At least this way the fans would eventually get to see THEIR team play.
While that would be nice, even that wouldn't make it up to a Green Bay fan. Nothing the NFL does can re-create what a Packer fan missed by seeing their team win the Super Bowl against the big bad Steelers after a 12 year gap of being in the Super Bowl.

As much as it might cost the NFL, they need to reimburse each of these fans for all their expenses (travel, child care, ticket cost, food, etc) and give them an extra 10K just to say "sorry."
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,411

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Some guys on the radio here were saying what could you sue them for, what damages?
I'm thinking, hello, air plane tickets and hotel plus the meals is at least a grand.
Plus, you could probably hit the NFL pretty hard for selling something that in the end, didn't even exist.
how can they sue them for airfare? they flew on the planes.

how can they sue them for hotels? they used their hotel rooms.

how can they sue them for meals? they ate their meals.

none of that has anything to do with the SB tickets.

the NFL didn't stop them from taking their seats. the fire marshall did that. the NFL would have been happy to put them in those seats.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
A grand? Maybe if you stayed at Motel 6 and drove in for the game. A $69 hotel room 15 miles away was going for $400, parking was running $500 or more within walking distance...etc...etc. Considering the cost of travel, food, hotels, lost time from work not to mention the tickets themselves you can probably figure a family of 4 might spend 8,000-$10,000 , roughly $3-4 million in total damages. Jerry Jones is gonne get hit since it's his stadium and the fire marshall issue was probably something the Cowboys were responsible for clearing. The NFL should take an ugly PR hit as well as a civil judgement. I guess they can all afford it but it's just the perfect example of why the game is no longer about the fans it's about the fat TV contracts, the corporate big shots who pay for luxury suites, etc...
I was thinking along these lines at first but at the end of the day, why should they be compensated for travel, food, hotels, time off work, etc.? They partied all week as if they had seats....Getting moved to an area inside the stadium to watch on monitors at the last minute sucks but doesn't automatically cancel out any prior enjoyment experienced.

If I take a 7 day cruise because I really, really want to swim with the dolphins & that shore excursion gets canceled, why would I have a right to ask for the entire cruise to be refunded?

The $2,400 reimbursement (triple face value) & tickets to the next SB is pretty fair IMO. (So long as they are hard tickets & there are no restrictions on selling them). They also got free food, booze & merchandise & got to go on the field after the game. For those that can prove they paid more than $2,400 on the secondary market (CC receipt from a broker, ebay/paypal, etc), fine, refund them in full.

Anyone looking for a 10K+ settlement just wants to get paid in our over litigious society. Well, I shouldn't say 'anyone'....If there was a 'make a wish' kid involved or an elderly family member whose life long dream was to see his team that changes things a bit. But for your average or even die hard fan, buck up.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Updated: February 8, 2011, 8:00 PM ET
Displaced fans can pick their tickets

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- The NFL has added a second option for the roughly 400 fans who had to give up their seats at the Super Bowl: They can choose to attend any future Super Bowl instead of being limited to the 2012 game.

The league initially said Sunday it would give $2,400, three times the face value of the ticket, to the fans who were forced to watch the game on monitors or use standing-room platforms after some temporary seating sections were not completed in time.

On Monday, Commissioner Roger Goodell said those fans also would receive tickets to next year's Super Bowl.

Then on Tuesday, the NFL announced the fans could choose instead to receive a ticket to any future Super Bowl, including next year's, along with round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations. If fans choose that option, they will not get the $2,400. They can wait until after the conference championship games each season to see whether their favorite team reaches the Super Bowl.

"We had more time to think about how to create a broader range of options that would better recognize the deep emotional bond that fans have for their team," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

The Green Bay Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 on Sunday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. When the temporary sections were not completed before the start of the game, about 850 fans were moved to other seats. But there was nowhere to put the remaining 400.

Some of the affected fans complained Sunday that the $2,400 didn't cover the price they paid for the seats, travel and hotels.

If fans choose the first option of next year's game plus the $2,400, the ticket is transferable, which means it can be sold on the secondary ticket market. It won't be transferable in the other option.

The league said a senior NFL staff member would call each of the displaced fans to provide information about the options and answer questions.

"The commissioner thought it was the right thing to do to give those fans more options," Aiello said.

The NFL is working with the Packers, Steelers and Cowboys to track down all the affected fans. Contact information can be e-mailed to SBXLV(at)nfl.com.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Denver Broncos