The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default Krieger: Finances may sway Broncos

If you were depressed about football being over, you probably shouldn't read this. Might as well call him Pat Monfort now. Actually, not even that. Even the Monforts are spending money now. Weird now you have the Broncos, and Avs/Nuggets owners going cheap while the Monforts are opening their wallets for the good of the team.

Uggh. Depressing,


Quote:
Krieger: Finances may sway Broncos

Now that the big game is over, the bigger game can begin. For the Broncos, it's not a minute too soon.

If you believe John Elway, whether the Broncos exercise or trade the second pick in the NFL's April draft may depend on if a new collective bargaining agreement is achieved by then.

Asked about the pick last week, here's what Elway told the NFL Network:

"We're in the process of setting that board up. The board is set, but as far as where we're going to go with it, we don't really know until we find out what's going to go on the collective bargaining agreement, because obviously that second pick is an expensive pick if it stays as it is.

"That's what we're hoping, that the collective bargaining agreement comes together quickly, and then once that comes together we can kind of figure out our philosophy going into this draft. Because where we are, we've got three picks in the top 46 picks, so we've got to make sure those hit, especially that second pick."
Read more: Krieger: Finances may sway Broncos - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci...#ixzz1DHy5Snij
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse


http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17314668
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,298
Default

depressing? just more speculating.

FYI, Bowlen has been broke for years
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,277
Default

If the salary structure of the top picks doesn't change, Elway won't be able to unload that pick if he wants to.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer
 
HEAV's Avatar
 
It's about the Team

Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Ville
Posts: 12,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Ya ya ya....and the Broncos would go cheap on a head-coach....
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,306
Default

You want the best players you got to pay for them
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

This is all speculation.. Both Elway and Xanders have both said publicly they will be very active in Free Agency.

Why pay all your players as much as you can to get to the salary cap? You first of all have to get a quality player to get in free agency and then give him money
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

I continue to not buy a single ounce of this "Bowlen is Broke" bull****, because there's no proof of it whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
If you were depressed about football being over, you probably shouldn't read this. Might as well call him Pat Monfort now. Actually, not even that. Even the Monforts are spending money now. [/URL]
Name one instance out of the last 3 years where Bowlen 'cheaped out'. Was it when he signed a bunch of Free Agents for McDaniels? Was it when he gave Dawkins more money than anyone thought he should get? Was it when he let Champ's contract run its natural course, doling out $13 Million last year? Was it when he gave Dumervil a huge extension? Or Maybe it was when he gave Orton a huge raise? What about that time he signed Kuper to a big extension? Maybe it was when he told McDaniels to hire cheap assistants, like Mike ****ing Nolan? How about that time that he let that big ticket Broncos free agent walk like...Umm....

Name a single instance of Bowlen being 'cheap'. I dare you.

This "Bowlen is broke" thing is the most ludicrous things on this board. Elway makes one remark about how the rookie pay structure is kind of insane, and you start saying Bowlen is cheap. Bowlen being broke fits into the "Bowlen ruined the team" narrative that half the forum subscribes to, and so you blindly take any line, no matter what the context or intent behind it was, and use it to prop up your argument.

I hope you realize that Pat Bowlen owns a ****ing NFL franchise.

Last edited by Killericon; 02-07-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,901
Default

I will now make a list of things teams say that you should believe prior to the NFL draft:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,093
Default

I think what Elway is really referring to is, if there is no CBA and a presumed rookie wage scale, the second overall pick will be an expensive player which will affect our allocation of financial resources to other areas - i.e. free agency. Krieger seems to think lack of a CBA would encourage us to trade down rather than exercise the pick because of cost. In fact, lack of a CBA makes it more difficult to trade the pick. So, I think he has it backwards. We are more likely to trade back in the event of a CBA, not because we would be trying to avoid spending money but, rather, to accumulate more picks due to needs. I think we are more likely to retain Champ and be active in free agency as well.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I continue to not buy a single ounce of this "Bowlen is Broke" bull****, because there's no proof of it whatsoever.



Name one instance out of the last 3 years where Bowlen 'cheaped out'. Was it when he signed a bunch of Free Agents for McDaniels? Was it when he gave Dawkins more money than anyone thought he should get? Was it when he let Champ's contract run its natural course, doling out $13 Million last year? Was it when he gave Dumervil a huge extension? Or Maybe it was when he gave Orton a huge raise? What about that time he signed Kuper to a big extension? Maybe it was when he told McDaniels to hire cheap assistants, like Mike ****ing Nolan? How about that time that he let that big ticket Broncos free agent walk like...Umm....

Name a single instance of Bowlen being 'cheap'. I dare you.

This "Bowlen is broke" thing is the most ludicrous thing on this board. Elway makes one remark about how the rookie pay structure is kind of insane, and you start saying Bowlen is cheap. Bowlen being broke fits into the "Bowlen ruined the team" narrative that half the forum subscribes to, and so you blindly take any line, no matter what the context or intent behind it was, and use it to prop up your argument.

I hope you realize that Pat Bowlen owns a ****ing NFL franchise.
No ****! If you consider yourself that "broke" and aren't willing to spend the money, sell.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,867

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I continue to not buy a single ounce of this "Bowlen is Broke" bull****, because there's no proof of it whatsoever.



Name one instance out of the last 3 years where Bowlen 'cheaped out'. Was it when he signed a bunch of Free Agents for McDaniels? Was it when he gave Dawkins more money than anyone thought he should get? Was it when he let Champ's contract run its natural course, doling out $13 Million last year? Was it when he gave Dumervil a huge extension? Or Maybe it was when he gave Orton a huge raise? What about that time he signed Kuper to a big extension? Maybe it was when he told McDaniels to hire cheap assistants, like Mike ****ing Nolan? How about that time that he let that big ticket Broncos free agent walk like...Umm....

Name a single instance of Bowlen being 'cheap'. I dare you.

This "Bowlen is broke" thing is the most ludicrous things on this board. Elway makes one remark about how the rookie pay structure is kind of insane, and you start saying Bowlen is cheap. Bowlen being broke fits into the "Bowlen ruined the team" narrative that half the forum subscribes to, and so you blindly take any line, no matter what the context or intent behind it was, and use it to prop up your argument.

I hope you realize that Pat Bowlen owns a ****ing NFL franchise.
R.E.P.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
primetime714
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Xanders in a recent interview alluded to value of the draft pick in a trade should the CBA be signed. The 2nd pick in the draft hasn't been traded in years because of the salary you need to give a #2 pick along with the cost in picks it takes to acquire that guy. Its simply too much to invest in one player, so no one ever ponies up enough to trade for it. With a new CBA with a rookie wage scale in place that pick becomes a lot more valuable since the cost to move up is mostly draft pick based.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,836
Default

So this is what it's like to be the Lions. Everything is negative. Everything is awful. The owner is broke. The front office is in shambles. The stadium blows.

Until it's not I suppose.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I continue to not buy a single ounce of this "Bowlen is Broke" bull****, because there's no proof of it whatsoever.



Name one instance out of the last 3 years where Bowlen 'cheaped out'. Was it when he signed a bunch of Free Agents for McDaniels? Was it when he gave Dawkins more money than anyone thought he should get? Was it when he let Champ's contract run its natural course, doling out $13 Million last year? Was it when he gave Dumervil a huge extension? Or Maybe it was when he gave Orton a huge raise? What about that time he signed Kuper to a big extension? Maybe it was when he told McDaniels to hire cheap assistants, like Mike ****ing Nolan? How about that time that he let that big ticket Broncos free agent walk like...Umm....

Name a single instance of Bowlen being 'cheap'. I dare you.

This "Bowlen is broke" thing is the most ludicrous things on this board. Elway makes one remark about how the rookie pay structure is kind of insane, and you start saying Bowlen is cheap. Bowlen being broke fits into the "Bowlen ruined the team" narrative that half the forum subscribes to, and so you blindly take any line, no matter what the context or intent behind it was, and use it to prop up your argument.

I don't have an argument here. We were 4-12 and I'm feeling pretty ****ing negative over how this franchise has been run the past few years. And the arguments I'll give you are Sundquist saying they have money issues every time he gets on the air, and our payroll the last 2 years. Your saying that being 20 something mil under the cap is being as competitive as you possibly can be? Having the 27th highest payroll is really throwing it out there eh?

Go, every year I remember us worrying about how much cap room we had left because we were always up against it. That was back when we made, or were at least very close to making the playoffs annually.

Hell, we did lock up Doom, and sign Dawk, Orton, Kuper to big money, and we were STILL bottomfeeders in the league in payroll. How bad would it be if we didn't?


Bottom line, I hope Bowlen reads this column and says "Bull****!" and gets active in free agency, and signs the right free agents that help this team win soon. I wish they would have gone after a GM from outside the organization, like a De Costa. I hope they put that 4 year deal back on the table for Champ. Will any of that happen? Right now I don't know. And the not knowing is what pisses me off.

So does Bill Bidwell, Mike Brown, and Jerry Richardson.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,949
Default

You should probably calm down and just see what happens.

Oh, and realize that Bowlen isn't going to do anything because a newspaper column alluded that he should.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

BTW, I actually think that our low player payroll is more a result terrible personnel decisions rather than being cheap. I didn't start to say "WTF?" until they pulled the Champ extension off the table. Now we will just have to see what the franchise does moving forward. When we get to free agency, that will tell a lot as to what this franchise's priorities are.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
You should probably calm down and just see what happens.
Yeah, until we see what we do this offseason, the discovery of this franchise's priorities are a wait and see. Letting Champ walk would be unforgivable, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Oh, and realize that Bowlen isn't going to do anything because a newspaper column alluded that he should.
And why did he flip flop so quickly on McDaniels?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
And why did he flip flop so quickly on McDaniels?
Uh, probably because there's more to Spygate II than we'll ever know. I don't believe for a second that, after a year and a half of negative press towards his coach, that he suddenly read the Post one morning and said "Damn! People don't like him! I'm firing him today!"
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I continue to not buy a single ounce of this "Bowlen is Broke" bull****, because there's no proof of it whatsoever.



Name one instance out of the last 3 years where Bowlen 'cheaped out'. Was it when he signed a bunch of Free Agents for McDaniels? Was it when he gave Dawkins more money than anyone thought he should get? Was it when he let Champ's contract run its natural course, doling out $13 Million last year? Was it when he gave Dumervil a huge extension? Or Maybe it was when he gave Orton a huge raise? What about that time he signed Kuper to a big extension? Maybe it was when he told McDaniels to hire cheap assistants, like Mike ****ing Nolan? How about that time that he let that big ticket Broncos free agent walk like...Umm....

Name a single instance of Bowlen being 'cheap'. I dare you.

This "Bowlen is broke" thing is the most ludicrous things on this board. Elway makes one remark about how the rookie pay structure is kind of insane, and you start saying Bowlen is cheap. Bowlen being broke fits into the "Bowlen ruined the team" narrative that half the forum subscribes to, and so you blindly take any line, no matter what the context or intent behind it was, and use it to prop up your argument.

I hope you realize that Pat Bowlen owns a ****ing NFL franchise.
Good post. Bowlen proves he isn't broke or cheap all the time and people still try claiming it. I will never understand their logic.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
No ****! If you consider yourself that "broke" and aren't willing to spend the money, sell.
To be fair, it would be all but impossible to sell an NFL team right now.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #21
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Uh, probably because there's more to Spygate II than we'll ever know. I don't believe for a second that, after a year and a half of negative press towards his coach, that he suddenly read the Post one morning and said "Damn! People don't like him! I'm firing him today!"
Good point.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Your saying that being 20 something mil under the cap is being as competitive as you possibly can be?
How can we be 20 mil under the cap when there is no cap?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
How can we be 20 mil under the cap when there is no cap?
2 years ago we were. And last year we were 27th in payroll.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
2 years ago we were. And last year we were 27th in payroll.
Spending money just to spend money or just because you "can" isn't a smart move either. Look at the Redskins. Among the highest payroll every year, and that team is a mess.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
nickademus
Samurai of Smack
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I don't have an argument here. We were 4-12 and I'm feeling pretty ****ing negative over how this franchise has been run the past few years. And the arguments I'll give you are Sundquist saying they have money issues every time he gets on the air, and our payroll the last 2 years. Your saying that being 20 something mil under the cap is being as competitive as you possibly can be? Having the 27th highest payroll is really throwing it out there eh?
Go, every year I remember us worrying about how much cap room we had left because we were always up against it. That was back when we made, or were at least very close to making the playoffs annually.

Hell, we did lock up Doom, and sign Dawk, Orton, Kuper to big money, and we were STILL bottomfeeders in the league in payroll. How bad would it be if we didn't?


Bottom line, I hope Bowlen reads this column and says "Bull****!" and gets active in free agency, and signs the right free agents that help this team win soon. I wish they would have gone after a GM from outside the organization, like a De Costa. I hope they put that 4 year deal back on the table for Champ. Will any of that happen? Right now I don't know. And the not knowing is what pisses me off.



So does Bill Bidwell, Mike Brown, and Jerry Richardson.
The last year there was a cap we had a ****ton of dead money thanks to shanny. yea we were low on payroll this past year but why pay guys for the next season if your are not sure there will be a next season. I understand why we didnt shell out this year and was surprised by the orton move. but I bet we are one of the most active teams in FA because we will have the space to be assuming there is once again a salary cap.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Denver Broncos