The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default Denver franchise now a fixer-upper

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17306782

Quote:
DALLAS Fixing the Broncos begins with psychotherapy.

The team revamped its front office with John Elway and Brian Xanders. John Fox, a proven commodity, is Denver's new head coach, and there is comfort in familiarity.

Yet among those who care deeply about the Broncos, there are buried hostilities about how the team got in this mess. And that animosity must be released before cool, calculated planning can be advanced.

"I can't believe how one guy, Josh McDaniels, was able to ruin such a great franchise in such a short time," former Broncos linebacker Bill Romanowski said.

"I would like to say they can turn it around as quick as McDaniels messed it up," said former Denver tight end Shannon Sharpe, selected to the NFL Hall of Fame on Saturday. "But I'm not sure that's possible."
Read more: Denver franchise now a fixer-upper - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1DF7pByuH
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Kind of a solid column except for the comment about his opinion that Champ is as good as gone and the notion that they need to trade down and take Prince Amukamura. That would suck.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

"Yet among those who care deeply about the Broncos, there are buried hostilities about how the team got in this mess."

The hostilities are hardly buried.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

It's amazing that even former players acknowledge how bad Josh ****ed up our franchise yet certain fans still try to make excuses for him.

I hope that arrogant egotistical POS has nothing but failure for the rest of his career after the **** he pulled here.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm still not convinced we are "that jacked up" at all. Lloyd > Marshall. Scheffler isn't anything to write home about. Hillis being traded for the biggest vagina in football next to Colt McCoy sucks. Of course Jhiz will come here and tell everyone how awesome Quitler is but the fact is he's a loser and quitter. So with an OK Orton and Tebow, we're not looking at an empty cupboard there.

McDaniels' problems were how terrible in the draft room he was and how he literally allowed Belichick to butt rape him on every trade. The things that pissed me off most about McDaniels were the enormous blown opportunities on draft day and the smaller personnel moves, like throwing money at a long snapper who can do literally nothing else at the expense of a better long snapper who has soft hands and is a good gunner. Those mistakes are what set our franchise back. I still maintain if firing Shanahan meant getting rid of Slowik, it was all worth it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Add two impact dlinemen to the team like Dummervil and Fairley, and I believe we are a top 15 defense, easily.

I don't believe we are talentless on the defensive side of the ball, but when you are last in the league in sacks and against the run, its hard to stop anyone.

With those two guys, they address our two biggest needs.

Are corners with champ are good.
Our safeties are average at best, depending if McBath can develop.
Our linebackers are average at best. Should address the position in round two.
Our Dline would be crucial though.

Prediction: 15th in the league in points given up next year.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

I knew it was Klis. He should "report" more and "opine" less

Quote:
Fixing the Broncos

The Broncos can improve considerably in 2011 and still fall short. Here's a five-step look at how their turnaround should begin:
1. A-one, and a-two, and a-three . . .
The Broncos have three of the top 46 picks in the NFL's April 28-30 draft No. 2, No. 36 and No. 46. They should trade back from No. 2 and pick up an extra second-round pick. They would have four of the top 50 picks. They must get at least two immediate starters from this draft and two more who will be ready by season's end.
Getting 2 starters out of 2011 draft would equal one less starter/rooks than they had this year. The holes at Safety, NT and TE could equal 3 starters no matter who we pick. Trading down is a great option at #2 pick, but only if we get enough for it. I'd rather take Peterson, especially since the rookie cap would help us in a huge way. What better year to pick in the top 2?

Quote:
2. Tebow or bust
New coach John Fox doesn't understand Tebowmania. No one does until they have experienced firsthand. Fox's honeymoon will be short if he doesn't play QB Tim Tebow. Even if Tebow doesn't work out, the Broncos can't move forward until they find out.
Fox visited Tebow at the combine, and was coaching not too far away from Florida. I think he understands him perfectly fine. And....by the way... Fox is about the defense. If he plays Jake Delhomme for years and years, he's not going to worry about a QB like Tebow "ruining" his team. There's a lot more upside to Tebow than most sportswriters will admit. Klis is repeating media tebow talk without even considering what he looked like in the last 3 weeks after being thrown in to start. More points for Tebow in his 2nd and 3rd starts than for Orton in his last two. And a pretty good QB rating.

Quote:
3. Deal with Champ
It doesn't make financial sense for the Broncos to place a $15 million franchise tag on cornerback Champ Bailey. They haven't talked contract with him since breaking off negotiations in November, an indication the 10-time Pro Bowler will be allowed to test the market. Once there, Bailey goes for his best chance at the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Trading back in the draft and selecting Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara becomes a possibility.
Champ coined 13M last year. Is 15M such a stretch? He's a valuable player and can help the team win. How can you not see the value in maybe moving Champ to safety next year or the year after? The guy is a tackling machine, that you want on your team, even at an elevated price. We never use the franchise tag. I can't see Bailey going to another team to "get a SB with someone that's better". Keep the GOOD guys, Mike.

Quote:
4. Keep Elvis healthy
....by doing what? Brillliant strategy. Why couldn't this bullet point be "win 13 games", instead.

Quote:
5. Run, baby, run
Whether it's the return of LenDale White or someone else, the Broncos need a big back and a two- way tight end. To bring Tebow along, the Broncos have to run the ball at least 20 times a game. That doesn't include Tebow runs
We do need a TE target......and some OL with a little more bite. A legit OL coach and maybe a FA OL vet will help our RBs a lot more than bringing in a big back. Knowshon will be fine.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1DFCxfpt4
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Last edited by DarkHorse30; 02-06-2011 at 10:22 PM..
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Lloyd > Marshall.
Keep on thinking that.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Keep on thinking that.
I have a bad feeling about Lloyd, never give the guy a big contract.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

McDaniels didnt detroy the franchise in 18 or whatever months it was. The team had woodrot before he got here. It actually speaks volumes to Shanahan's game day coaching ability. The facts are, 30+ players Shanny had on our roster are not playing in the NFL now.

For what ever the reason or cause or ridiculousness of players being shipped out or in, the team was due for a rough patch. If Shanahan was Augustus, McDaniels is the Caligula of Denver coaches. This naturally can be said with a great deal of hindsight. I was wrong about McDaniel's ability to maximize the talent he had on hand. He really needed a GM and Bowlen needed a killswitch on the phone every time Josh dialed a NE area code. But that's life.

Green Bay is proof positive that you build a consistent winner through the draft, supplementing with key free agents. Hint, Dove Valley.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

McDaniels took a team in transition with a boatload of picks to the cellar. If you build a solid team through the draft, he not only failed, he tanked in a spectacular way.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
McDaniels took a team in transition with a boatload of picks to the cellar. If you build a solid team through the draft, he not only failed, he tanked in a spectacular way.
It is ENTIRELY too early to say this. For one, the 2010 might very well be a good one. In fact, the 09 draft may save face. The broncos werent horrible because of their recent drafts. They were horrible because we never properly fixed a terrible defense.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
It is ENTIRELY too early to say this. For one, the 2010 might very well be a good one. In fact, the 09 draft may save face. The broncos werent horrible because of their recent drafts. They were horrible because we never properly fixed a terrible defense.

Keep in mind Sctt believes Tebow sucks because he is Christian and vocal about it. Kind of skews his view on the player's abilities.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Keep in mind Sctt believes Tebow sucks because he is Christian and vocal about it. Kind of skews his view on the player's abilities.

No, I can't stand the guy because of his beliefs. But worse, he is a lousy NFL QB. I will stand by that opinion. His Beliefs just make it easier to laugh at him.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
He really needed a GM and Bowlen needed a killswitch on the phone every time Josh dialed a NE area code.
This sage advice should have been communicated to the old man after the first couple times we tried to involve NE in something, but Joe Ellis was apparently asleep at the wheel and Xanders simply lacks the requisite amount of sack required to anything of that nature (no surprise there).
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
No, I can't stand the guy because of his beliefs. But worse, he is a lousy NFL QB. I will stand by that opinion. His Beliefs just make it easier to laugh at him.
You can't stand him because of his beliefs? What happened to tolerance? No one here went out of their way to rag on Ryan Harris for his beliefs, why shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to Tebow? He's a lousy QB? He's a raw rookie who made far more plays than anyone expected.

And he never lined up behind the guard, either.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
You can't stand him because of his beliefs? What happened to tolerance? No one here went out of their way to rag on Ryan Harris for his beliefs, why shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to Tebow? He's a lousy QB? He's a raw rookie who made far more plays than anyone expected.

And he never lined up behind the guard, either.
I can only speak about what I see, I don't see Tebow being the answer. As far as Mr. focus on the family, I have a hard spot for that group. Anyone that can justify genocide, I will always oppose.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #17
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm still not convinced we are "that jacked up" at all. Lloyd > Marshall. Scheffler isn't anything to write home about. Hillis being traded for the biggest vagina in football next to Colt McCoy sucks. Of course Jhiz will come here and tell everyone how awesome Quitler is but the fact is he's a loser and quitter. So with an OK Orton and Tebow, we're not looking at an empty cupboard there.

McDaniels' problems were how terrible in the draft room he was and how he literally allowed Belichick to butt rape him on every trade. The things that pissed me off most about McDaniels were the enormous blown opportunities on draft day and the smaller personnel moves, like throwing money at a long snapper who can do literally nothing else at the expense of a better long snapper who has soft hands and is a good gunner. Those mistakes are what set our franchise back. I still maintain if firing Shanahan meant getting rid of Slowik, it was all worth it.
I don't think McDaniels' issues were in the draft room. Moreno, Tebow, Thomas, Ayers, Beadles, Walton, Decker, and Cox is a perfectly fine haul from 2 drafts.

I think McDaniels' arrogance led to the Nolan split, which was the beginning of the end. I think that people make too big a deal out of the Maroney and the Paxton deals just cause they were with Belicheck. I think the Hillis and Smith trades blew, of course, but I could've forgiven them.

For me, it begins and ends with the departure of Mike Nolan. McDaniels could've been great, and I think he will be one day, for someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Keep on thinking that.
Maybe he's not better, but Marshall certainly wasn't worth that contract he got. We get another year of Lloyd for pennies while Miami gave up those picks and that huge contract for what, exactly?

Quote:
I can only speak about what I see, I don't see Tebow being the answer. As far as Mr. focus on the family, I have a hard spot for that group. Anyone that can justify genocide, I will always oppose.
Genocide? What?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Add two impact dlinemen to the team like Dummervil and Fairley, and I believe we are a top 15 defense, easily.

I don't believe we are talentless on the defensive side of the ball, but when you are last in the league in sacks and against the run, its hard to stop anyone.

I might put our linebackers at above average... and corners above average, not good.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
I might put our linebackers at above average... and corners above average, not good.
I agree. I think we actually have a pretty nice set of linebackers in both the 3-4 and 4-3 (although I'm less sold on the group in the 4-3 as there is no apparent MLB in the group).

The assessment that our safeties are 'average at best' is being WAY to kind. Our safety situation is definitely the worst it's been since I've been alive. I can't imagine that anyone has a weaker set of safeties than we do. I don't think there is a single keeper in the bunch. Maybe McBath, but he can't stay healthy enough for us to see anything at all from him.

I think our corners are pretty damn good.

Our defensive line issues are well known. In the 4-3 I think we have some bright spots on the ends... but we BADLY need some muscle in the middle. That's the real problem. All of the spots up the middle are weaknesses.

- We have nothing at defensive tackle (in the 4-3) and definitely no one to play nose-guard (3-4).

- We don't have a middle linebacker in the 4-3 on the team. I feel a lot better in the 3-4 with Mays/Williams in the middle.

- We have nothing at safety.

Our edges are in much better shape. Champ/Cox/Goodman/Thompson is a really nice rotation. Dumervil and Ayers are going to be a nice combo on the ends.

It's still going to be really hard to imagine that this can be fixed in a single draft. The defense is just terrible up the middle.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #20
PTC

I would like to believe he screwed up the franchise. At the end of the day, you point your fingers at Pat Bowlen...

Anytime you take over a roster where 28, 29 players are cut and are no longer playing for any NFL team.... was the franchise really not ruined before you got there? Tell me, if the franchise was such in great condition before we hired a new coach, why did we hire one anyways? Especially one that would change the WHOLE culture of the franchise? They obviously knew this when they were interviewing and knew where he was coming from. Getting a new GM..etc...

Anyways, the offense has a solid foundation to it right now, but that obviously has more to do with how Tebow develops. I can't really say that he screwed anything up based on the defense, I mean it was **** when he got there and it is **** now, with possibly a bit more talent. It's obvious that it was a schematic issue which caused such a huge difference in the defense from last year... we got a solid NT and a BETTER dline from the previous year with the same secondary. Jamal williams actually played really well this season.

If you think you're going to win SB's with players like Cutler and Marshall on your squad, please look at the super bowl teams in the past X years...

You should ask yourselves, if you could undo the Cutler trade (which would mean Orton, Tebow, and Demaryius Thomas etc would not be here) and undo the Marshall trade (which would mean Lloyd not here, Thomas, + our 2nd this year)...would you really do it?

If you're answer is yes, then you're also saying that yes, I would like 2 players with personalities that do not fall in line with the type of players that have participated in the past super bowls...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

They weren't that great before the little corporal got here either.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Broncos were in pretty bad shape when Mcdaniels took over but he did set them back at least 2-3 yrs. If we get lucky and hit on some draft picks this yr, and next yr, don't lose Champ, Doom comes back strong, hit on some FA we can compete again.

Any Bronco fans who want to think a good draft, some fa moves, can make us win next year I will have to disagree. That would be great but the reality is the defense has maybe 4-5 starters on it. The offensive line isn't settled. Clady didn't play very well coming off his injury, harris either. Kuper either for that matter. The new players Walton and Beadles are still unproven. We need TE, RB, and our qb is either not that athletic, or needs a lot of work, depending who you go with.

The coaching staff is new and will need a couple years to get things going.

So many things really to fix no way it can happen in one offseason. Especially if we have a work stoppage.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
God Bless You
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17306782

Read more: Denver franchise now a fixer-upper - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1DF7pByuH

Kind of a solid column except for the comment about his opinion that Champ is as good as gone and the notion that they need to trade down and take Prince Amukamura. That would suck.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Josh McD is the convinient scape goat for the cluster pink puppy belli that is the Broncos and the cluster started with Shanahan and his terrible team management. It started with Pat Bowlen stepping away and letting Shanny run the entire operation with no checks and balances.

Josh is just the sacrificial lamb.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post

Did you see the SB yesterday? GB has a great DL, some great LB and when those corners went out they struggled. Our corners are not good, even with Champ. They don't throw his way. And we've been saying the same thing about our safeties since Atwater left. Keep saying that and we will remain the same. I'm all for going DL immediately but fail to address those other areas and you are going to have a slightly better D.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote