The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Another reason to disregard what Mel Kiper Jr says

I know some people really think this guy has got some really good football smarts. He is known for his college scouting and player evaluation but recently I've been listening to a weekend morning sports radio show and there is a segment on there called (well I can't remember the name) but basically people call in and go head to head with Mel.

All sounds good right? Well, until last week when he said, and I quote "Al Davis was an NFL genius for so many years and I think he's still one of the best NFL minds in the game today", more or less anyway. I think he went on for about 2 straight minutes on how he thinks Al Davis still, even to this day, has one of the best NFL minds there is.

That morning I lost all respect (not that I had much to begin with) for any of his evaluations. I mean, if he thinks Al Davis is one of the top NFL minds today, good lord, how can I put any worth on his college player evaluations?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

If you disregard everyone for saying something that you highly disagree with you'll end up with no one left to heed.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
schaaf

I think Al Davis used to have a very good football mind.

He's just lost it in the last decade though. I found it funny when Taco had the thread about the 10 year anniversary I was looking at a forum from 02 and there were jokes going on about how Al was going to die at any time.. I think that guy has gone through the embalming process about 4 times.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I think Al Davis used to have a very good football mind.

He's just lost it in the last decade though. I found it funny when Taco had the thread about the 10 year anniversary I was looking at a forum from 02 and there were jokes going on about how Al was going to die at any time.. I think that guy has gone through the embalming process about 4 times.
Yep. Al is been singlehandedly crippling his own team for years....
Look at the successs they just had... and he goes and fires the HC..
I guess he is just used to saying.... "You're Fired!"
Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveALight View Post
If you disregard everyone for saying something that you highly disagree with you'll end up with no one left to heed.
I don't disregard everyone for saying something I disagree with. But when somebody says Al Davis is still one of the top NFL minds today, yeah, I pretty much have to disregard that person.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
schaaf

"Like A Boss"
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I do'nt really need another reason to discount Kiper. The ones I have work fine.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I mean, if he thinks Al Davis is one of the top NFL minds today, good lord, how can I put any worth on his college player evaluations?
This might be the wrong time to question Al Davis' college player evaluations. His 2010 draft (McClain, Houston, Ford, Valdheer) was one of the best in the NFL.
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I know some people really think this guy has got some really good football smarts. He is known for his college scouting and player evaluation but recently I've been listening to a weekend morning sports radio show and there is a segment on there called (well I can't remember the name) but basically people call in and go head to head with Mel.

All sounds good right? Well, until last week when he said, and I quote "Al Davis was an NFL genius for so many years and I think he's still one of the best NFL minds in the game today", more or less anyway. I think he went on for about 2 straight minutes on how he thinks Al Davis still, even to this day, has one of the best NFL minds there is.

That morning I lost all respect (not that I had much to begin with) for any of his evaluations. I mean, if he thinks Al Davis is one of the top NFL minds today, good lord, how can I put any worth on his college player evaluations?
Well Davis still really smart. Look at how no one can beat him in a lawsuit. Dude is a top notch legal mind. One reason Shanny never forced the issue on the money was because he knew in court he would lose, just like everyone always does.

Some of there moves haven't worked out but recently they grabbed some talented players. I get how we make fun of him for being so old, for losing a lot lately, but lets not forget this guys accomplishments.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Al davis still knows more about football then any of us and would make you look silly arguing football. He would bury all of you with all he knows about the game.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I do'nt really need another reason to discount Kiper. The ones I have work fine.
lol..this
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #12
Boomhauer

Quote:
This. (From OP) "He is known for his college scouting and player evaluation"
That's all he's know for and does a piss-poor job at it. Maybe a quarter of his evaluations are half-right. The rest are a waste to listen to. There are hundfreds of other scouting and draft sources that are better than him and I've often wondered why ESPN kept his sorry butt around.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
mikey555

Quote:
The best reason to discount mel kiper is..... well he's Mel Kiper!!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
This. (From OP) "He is known for his college scouting and player evaluation"
That's all he's know for and does a piss-poor job at it. I've often wondered why ESPN kept his sorry butt around.
Because it's ESPN. They're more interested in things like big hair and how loud you can talk than they are with anything of substance.

Kiper has always been a complete joke of a scout, but he has a TV persona, and that's all you really need in order to pass the smell test at ESPN.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?t...el_Kiper%2C_Jr.

Quote:
Though a dick, Mel Kiper is an infallible genius when it comes to scouting future NFL talent.
  • He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.
  • In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.
  • In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league.
  • In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks.
  • In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I saw Kiper scurrying out of the ESPN Zone in Baltimore once.

He's a midge, so there's a reason his hair is that high.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I wouldn't have drafted JaMarcus Russel 1st overall. I would have traded for Schaub and drafted Calvin Johnson. But thats just me.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Al davis still knows more about football then any of us and would make you look silly arguing football. He would bury all of you with all he knows about the game.
thats wonderful, hows it relevant?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #19
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
More recently, he was in LOVE with Jimmy Clausen, and while the jury is obviously still out on Clausen, he did not play well last year.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #20
Haroldthebarrel
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
What about the projections he was actually right at?

Not that i like Kiper at all, but it is sloppy just to bring up all that he missed and not look at where he hit as well.
Haroldthebarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #21
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldthebarrel View Post
What about the projections he was actually right at?

Last edited by spdirty; 02-06-2011 at 07:41 AM..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #22
jossjeff
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I may be wrong here but I believe that quote towards the Colts had nothing to do with Marshall. Think the Colts had taken a DT or LB or something and left Dilfer on the board. Still a horrible call but nonetheless.....

And as far as the Al Davis talking...well nobody has been harder on the guy than me. That being said however I'll never understand oldsmack. It seems to me that geting old is inevitable for all of us, if we are lucky anyway.

Dude has made many questionable decisions over the last few decades, dont consider aging one of them.
jossjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #23
Haroldthebarrel
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
that was actually a hilarious reply. he he.

But I am certain you got my point. The draft is a crapshot for any team but the Steelers and Ravens it seems. They hit on their first and second rounders all the time.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #24
Haroldthebarrel
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossjeff View Post
I may be wrong here but I believe that quote towards the Colts had nothing to do with Marshall. Think the Colts had taken a DT or LB or something and left Dilfer on the board. Still a horrible call but nonetheless.....

And as far as the Al Davis talking...well nobody has been harder on the guy than me. That being said however I'll never understand oldsmack. It seems to me that geting old is inevitable for all of us, if we are lucky anyway.

Dude has made many questionable decisions over the last few decades, dont consider aging one of them.
The old man is excellent at finding young coaching talent. It is just that he doesnt have the patience to let them learn their trade. Thus, he is basically "coaching" them up for the other teams.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldthebarrel View Post
that was actually a hilarious reply. he he.

But I am certain you got my point. The draft is a crapshot for any team but the Steelers and Ravens it seems. They hit on their first and second rounders all the time.
Same can be said of the packers and the colts. In fact they've been better than anyone the last 5 or so years.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote