The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default OT- Just drew to float the selway !

Just drew a permit to float the Selway in Idaho. This Fricken rocks !! I am so jack up WOOHOOO !!!
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Just drew a permit to float the Selway in Idaho. This Fricken rocks !! I am so jack up WOOHOOO !!!
I've been 3 times...get everything waterproofed...get everything warm....take tons of advil....and take a plastic bucket toilet seat to haul those processed salisbury steaks the distance! Congrats btw! Which section do you put in at?
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

THere is only one section of the selway to draw for. I think you can float a little below it and above it with out a permit but that's it. They only let 34 permits go each year and only one float group per day. It is said to be the hardest float to draw for in the united states..

Ok and not to sound rude but there is a group of 30 of us that put in every year and have for the last 10 years and this is the first time we have drawn. How did you manage to float it 3 times?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Congrats, always love some rafting! Just out of curiosity, why do they allow such a minimal amount of activity on it? Is it on some kind of endangered land or something?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
THere is only one section of the selway to draw for. I think you can float a little below it and above it with out a permit but that's it. They only let 34 permits go each year and only one float group per day. It is said to be the hardest float to draw for in the united states..

Ok and not to sound rude but there is a group of 30 of us that put in every year and have for the last 10 years and this is the first time we have drawn. How did you manage to float it 3 times?
Im from Idaho like many here and we know how to use our connections. Idaho has more river than any other state in the USA...you could say we know how to river rat. My family also has 2 rafts and so we are included in a lot of draws but to answer your question directly - people cancel all the time due to real life events. Make sure your invites go out to very serious individuals.

Again, great draw and pm me if you need anything. Always willing to help.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Congrats, always love some rafting! Just out of curiosity, why do they allow such a minimal amount of activity on it? Is it on some kind of endangered land or something?
Its a protected forest. It's about as close to the 1800's you will ever come to. No road, bikes, of any kind. There is a hiking trail and you can have an air strip but that's it.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

This is a great read on it.

Paradise to Race Creek A trip down Idaho's Selway is one of the rarest, purest, most exhilarating
river experiences in the West. The Selway is the least often run of the nation's famous wilderness
rivers, due to a Forest Service policy that permits fewer than 1,300 boaters to float the river each year.
With only one launch allowed per day, the fortunate few who obtain private permits or places on a
commercial trip are guaranteed one of the most pristine river journeys anywhere. You may see more
bears than other boaters.
The Selway1 is actually the southern branch of the Middle Fork of the Clearwater, one of Central
Idaho's largest rivers. From 9,000' headwaters in the Bitterroot Range, the Selway flows north and
then west to Lowell, Idaho, where it merges with its sister stream, the Lochsa, to form the Middle Fork
Clearwater. In its 90-mile journey the Selway is joined by dozens of tributaries carrying abundant
runoff from the wet western slope of the Bitterroots.
Though it begins on a ridge just seven miles north of the Main Salmon's Corn Creek put-in, the Selway
has little in common with its giant neighbor. The Selway's lush, intimate canyon and short, intense
season contrast with the Main Salmon's more open landscape and reliable summer-long flows. Heavy
precipitation in the Selway drainage produces a thick, dark green mantle of fir, hemlock, cedar, and
pine. Patches of newer growth show the traces of wildfires that periodically strike the canyon. The
watershed's luxuriant vegetation and clean granite soils filter the heavy runoff, keeping the Selway
pure and clear.
The Selway cuts through the heart of the vast Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, which has protected the
river canyon since 1936. The river's headwaters lie within the adjoining Frank Church-River of No
Return Wilderness, and the Selway itself is a charter member (1968) of the National Wild and Scenic
Rivers Sytem. The 47-mile run described here remains virtually untouched by civilization. The river
teems with fish, wildlife is remarkably abundant, crystalline side creeks appear at every turn, and
graceful, aromatic old- growth cedars shade beaches of clean, white sand.
Floats begin at Paradise Launch Site, just 32 miles from the headwaters. Here the Selway is an icy flow
of fresh snowmelt, its waters hardly warmed in their brief journey down the north-facing upper canyon.
From Paradise the Selway runs north for 25 miles to meet its largest tributary, Moose Creek, then
turns west and churns with increased power through rock-strewn rapids. Not far downstream from the
Race Creek take-out, the river pours over imposing Class VI Selway Falls.
As recently as the late 1970's the Selway, along with a handful of other Western rivers, was seen as
one of the ultimate tests in technical whitewater. Today, although far more difficult runs are
commonplace, the Selway remains a significant benchmark of wilderness river running skills. At lower
flows it is deceptively easy, but a number of rapids change character radically at levels around 4' to
5' (about 2,500 to 3,500 cfs) on the Paradise gauge.
Flow is the trickiest thing about the Selway. Snowmelt season is usually brief and unpredictable. A
sudden hot spell or a warm rain can quickly raise the river to dangerous levels. The river's many large
tributaries roughly quadruple or quintuple the flow between put-in and take- out. Except at low water,
boaters face a run that begins as a technical mountain torrent, then gradually builds into a powerful
river with impressive hydraulics. At high flows all but seasoned experts should stay away.
In addition to demanding rapids and fluctuating flows, the Selway's potential hazards include logs, icy
water, and unpredictable weather that can turn cold and rainy well into June. Early-season trips usually
face all these challenges at once (plus possible snow on the road to the put-in). The Selway canyon is
extremely remote and lightly travelled, so evacuation in case of mishap can be very difficult.
Other Runs Above and below the run described in this chapter, boaters can float short sections of the
Selway without a permit. The upper river is boatable for about a dozen miles above Paradise Launch
Site, with rocky, technical rapids and a short season. A road follows the right bank, allowing easy
scouting and access.
It is more common for boaters to run the lower river from below Selway Falls to the Lochsa River
confluence at Lowell. The Lower Selway's 13 ft./mi. gradient produces Class II to easy Class III rapids,
though some big waves develop at high flows. The canyon is lush and scenic, much like the end of the
main run. This 15-mile lower stretch enjoys a longer season than the main Selway run. USFS Road 223
follows the right bank, providing easy scouting and access. Floating begins as far up as Gedney Creek
Campground, a half mile below the falls. Among the intermediate accesses is Boyd Creek Campground,
about halfway through the run. For more information, see the Idaho guide books listed below.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:

True one section to draw for but many areas to say "I've had enough" or "Gee, my cell phone doesn't work and my buddy just caught his shirt on a branch underwater and I haven't seen him in 2 days". Go with someone who has gone before and make sure everyone knows how to follow directions a lost paddle can mean a bad trip for all.

You will be hauling everyones pee and poly out as you know so make sure you all love to share a crapper bucket.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 02-04-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Im from Idaho like many here and we know how to use our connections. Idaho has more river than any other state in the USA...you could say we know how to river rat. My family also has 2 rafts and so we are included in a lot of draws but to answer your question directly - people cancel all the time due to real life events. Make sure your invites go out to very serious individuals.

Again, great draw and pm me if you need anything. Always willing to help.
Thanks man. Yep Middle fork last year selway this year . Damn !
Old 02-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

Congrats.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Wow quoydogs, sounds fantastic! I've never been on anything bigger than a class V, so good luck, and I hope you guys are seasoned vets! Take pictures!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Wow quoydogs, sounds fantastic! I've never been on anything bigger than a class V, so good luck, and I hope you guys are seasoned vets! Take pictures!
It's mostly class II and III stuff. It's more about nature and just floating for days with out seeing anyone, cars or people. The fishing is insane, on the middle fork last year I caught over 300 trout in 7 days. This river is just as good if not better.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Selway is tearing the state of Idaho apart!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote