The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado
Default Julian Assange on 60 Minutes

Part 1

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSEgbg-6uA

Last edited by ✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡; 01-30-2011 at 10:41 PM..
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

What team does he play for
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

He was very impressive - a peoples hero.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

quick recap por favor
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

watch the linked video
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

theres nothing quick about a 2 part 30 minute video. got a physiology test tomorrow, doubt i will be watching it anytime soon
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
theres nothing quick about a 2 part 30 minute video. got a physiology test tomorrow, doubt i will be watching it anytime soon
Sometimes a recap just does not do the situation justice this is one of those times.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

he's playing with fire and then he's suprised about getting burned. the idea behind wikileaks is fine, even noble to some extent, but when does it become less about exposing injustice and more about putting people's lives in jeopardy? There's always gonna be whistle blowers, I just hope wikileaks does due diligence on the information before it casts said info. out onto the internet. I wonder how they know if the info. they receive is legit or if it's just fiction created by someone with an axe to grind...

either way, it was only a matter of time before a site like wikileaks became available to the public. With all the info. available on the internet, it's hard to keep anything truly secret, especially when information is more or less all connected via the web. I'm not really sure the US State Department has a real case against wikileaks when US secrets can be dumped out to a site like wikileaks. It's really a strange situation for all parties involved. That being said Assange should know he's teetering on iminent death by publishing this type of info...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
he's playing with fire and then he's suprised about getting burned. the idea behind wikileaks is fine, even noble to some extent, but when does it become less about exposing injustice and more about putting people's lives in jeopardy? There's always gonna be whistle blowers, I just hope wikileaks does due diligence on the information before it casts said info. out onto the internet. I wonder how they know if the info. they receive is legit or if it's just fiction created by someone with an axe to grind...

either way, it was only a matter of time before a site like wikileaks became available to the public. With all the info. available on the internet, it's hard to keep anything truly secret, especially when information is more or less all connected via the web. I'm not really sure the US State Department has a real case against wikileaks when US secrets can be dumped out to a site like wikileaks. It's really a strange situation for all parties involved. That being said Arsange know he's teetering on iminent death by publishing this type of info...
You would find the video informative.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You would find the video informative.
I watched the video. Hence, my comments.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Ray_Lewis'_Victim
Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I watched the video. Hence, my comments.
I agree with some of your take, but I don't think he's surprised at all about what's happened to him. Sounds like he's disappointed that the US govt was so quick to toss out the first amendment to try to come after him, but not surprised.

They do try pretty hard to verify that their info is accurate, though in the case of the war logs/cablegate I think its pretty clear they're genuine (Seriously who has time to make up thousands of diplomatic cables or field reports?). They also now do a pretty good job of harm minimization. They don't publish anything wholesale without going through it and redacting names/addresses, and there are no credible reports of anyone being harmed as a result of these leaks (Bradley Manning aside).

Whatever happens to Wikileaks is relatively unimportant, as already similar services are popping up (Al Jazeera just set one up, and a former wikileaks guy started Openleaks). Naive people of the world are going to have a hard time pretending that everything their government/corporation/whatever does is completely legal/moral.
Ray_Lewis'_Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Lewis'_Victim View Post
I agree with some of your take, but I don't think he's surprised at all about what's happened to him. Sounds like he's disappointed that the US govt was so quick to toss out the first amendment to try to come after him, but not surprised.

They do try pretty hard to verify that their info is accurate, though in the case of the war logs/cablegate I think its pretty clear they're genuine (Seriously who has time to make up thousands of diplomatic cables or field reports?). They also now do a pretty good job of harm minimization. They don't publish anything wholesale without going through it and redacting names/addresses, and there are no credible reports of anyone being harmed as a result of these leaks (Bradley Manning aside).

Whatever happens to Wikileaks is relatively unimportant, as already similar services are popping up (Al Jazeera just set one up, and a former wikileaks guy started Openleaks). Naive people of the world are going to have a hard time pretending that everything their government/corporation/whatever does is completely legal/moral.
Its also ironic that Assange talks about the first amendment. I believe the US Constitution and Bill or Rights were written with the American People in mind, and protecting the citizens of the US from tyranny. I really don't think the Founding Fathers had a foreign publisher in mind when they wrote the First Amendment. Again, I think this is uncharted waters for the US State Department and all parties involved.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

if you publish material in the united states you are not a foreign publisher. it would be like prosecuting people affiliated with The Guardian against the first amendment because they are located in England. preposterous.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
He was very impressive - a peoples hero.
I would teabag him with ink on my balls.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I would teabag him with ink on my balls.
Rep
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #16
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

there is nothing noble about spreading America's information and secret documents to the world without any focus on where they go. All that does is harm those in public service and hurt our country's aims and goals across the world.

If he wants to help our country in some way with that information, take it to our government and let them know their information security sucks and that he as a worthless hack was able to gain access to it.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #17
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Too bad the interviewer didn't just take out a gun and pop him real quick. The guy is a piece of sh*t.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

What comes around goes around. Dude will get his.

Smarmy little ****.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...037146,00.html

Julian Assange - runner up for Time Magazine man of the year.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...037146,00.html

Julian Assange - runner up for Time Magazine man of the year.

Being on the cover of Time is not an honor. They named Hitler man of the year.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

I understand that but there is an article attached.

Regardless of what you think of the man he has provided the people of the world with a great tool. The threat alone of exposure of information will make governments think twice about how they conduct themselves. We are not being informed today like we were in the past. Main stream media is now controlled by a small group of people that are feeding you their agenda. What WikiLeaks does is provide the information needed to make an informed opinion about an event or situation. All evil things happen in secrecy. Just the threat of possible exposure is very powerful. We owe Julian Assange a great debt. "The truth shall set you free".
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Regardless of what you think of the man he has provided the people of the world with a great tool. The threat alone of exposure of information will make governments think twice about how they conduct themselves. We are not being informed today like we were in the past. Main stream media is now controlled by a small group of people that are feeding you their agenda. What WikiLeaks does is provide the information needed to make an informed opinion about an event or situation. All evil things happen in secrecy. Just the threat of possible exposure is very powerful. We owe Julian Assange a great debt. "The truth shall set you free".

Bloggers do the same thing without breaking laws to do it. The internet is the tool. Assange is just a nitwit with a romantic ideal of being a hero.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

yeah...think twice with more regulation, laws, and security to protect "the children". Its a good thing and also a very bad thing. I think that the people that will ultimately pay are the people.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Bloggers do the same thing without breaking laws to do it. The internet is the tool. Assange is just a nitwit with a romantic ideal of being a hero.

He sure didn't come across that way in his first ever in depth (relatively) interview on 60 minutes.

Difference between bloggers and WikiLeaks is bloggers came be easily shut down while WikiLeaks uses networks and encryption tools than make it impossible to shut WikiLeaks down and if they are some how shut down they have shared the technology so others can continue. Why is everyone so afraid of exposing the world governing body's dirty secrets. Isn't that what our founding fathers advocated ? We have a responsibility to monitor our government and WikiLeaks gives the individual a platform to do that. WikiLeaks is first and foremost a publisher of information. This gives every person the power to get their truth out on a global scale. How can this not be a good thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #25
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The hypocracy about Wikileaks is amazing. Witness the constant threats the organization issues to leak bad press about anyone who challenges them. Whoever dares to point out that the organization is dicey, People can and have died because of Wikileaks disclosures.

Sometimes, it's a good thing to get some sunshine on things. But the wikileaks in the US have been mostly disappointing, very little that isn't in the press to someone who pays intention and intended to embarrass rather then shed any new light on things . But to publish a list of the "10 sites if destroyed would hurt the US the most" is petty and dangerous. Likewise, the public disclosure of the fact that the Middle East politicians are saying one thing of Israel and Iran in public, and quite a different set in private may feel good, but it's a contribution to the riots in Tunisia and Egypt. If thoose riots end with Democratic regimes great. But the vast majority of the time, revolts in the middle east result in groups like Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood taking the reigns.

What they are doing is leading to people's deaths.

Last edited by lostknight; 01-31-2011 at 08:08 AM..
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote