The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default How do we replace Ryan Harris? Draft Impact Question: OT in the 1st?

I don't know why this hasn't been talked about much in here yet but in case anyone missed it, we parted ways with Ryan Harris. This brings up two interesting questions, 1) Who made this move? It was pre-Fox so it makes me ask, and 2) What do we do about replacing the guy who would have protected Tebow's blind side?

Was Zane Beadles impressive enough at that spot last year? I'm trying to recall how many games he played over there, but I really thought they wanted to plug him in next to Clady anyway...no? Someone who knows for sure tell me...so back to the point, what do we do to replace Harris? If we're going to draft an OT over there, we need to look at the fact that the guy has to be big enough to run block and agile enough to do at least at pretty credible job as a pass protector. Maybe we're not looking for an elite pass blocker but at least a pretty good one who is can run block well also. Reading up on the CU kid, he's a possibility and he'd be there for a trade up or down. Bottom line is, no matter how you look at it in terms of needing defense you can't leave your brand new baby QB's blind side unaccounted for. Now whether we do this in the draft, free agency or a trade it matters not to me but someone suggest some alternatives to them having to draft an OT high in this draft somewhere instead of spending it on a defensive pick. One thing about the Solder kid, he's 308 pounds and moves like a tight end in space. If we took this guy we'd have bookend OT's for the next 12 years and the most mobile offensive line in the league with Clady returning to form this year. With a mobile QB back there, it makes me smile to imagine Tebow in a moving pocket.

Food for thought...
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They didn't really "part ways" with Harris. They just let his current contract run out. It's the same with Champ Bailey. His contract has run out, and he's not currently under contract.

Speculation I've seen from various speculating internet sources, says Harris is probably coming back.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I wouldn't be upset if Harris didn't come back. You have to be able to rely on your players to be there to play their positions and Harris has been sporadic. I thought for a rookie Beadles did a decent job. We need to pick up one in the draft but not in the first.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I sure hope they just re-sign him.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
They didn't really "part ways" with Harris. They just let his current contract run out. It's the same with Champ Bailey. His contract has run out, and he's not currently under contract.

Speculation I've seen from various speculating internet sources, says Harris is probably coming back.
No kidding...I swear I read that he was released. That's been said on this board several times by different people. Well in any case, if they let his contract run out, is he coming back? And how do we know? I'd rather not have to spend a high pick on the O-line, maybe 3rd round.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

If we take a tackle in the first, ill give up
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I wouldn't be upset if Harris didn't come back. You have to be able to rely on your players to be there to play their positions and Harris has been sporadic. I thought for a rookie Beadles did a decent job. We need to pick up one in the draft but not in the first.
Well if Beadles stays over there, who plays the LG spot? I thought cutting that clown McD brought in was meant to slide Beadles in there. We're a top-flight O-lineman short even if we assume the rookies will improve, which I think they will. But is Beadles ready to be a starter there? If not, who can we get to start in free agency or trade?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I don't think we'll know for sure what they are gioing to do until the cba thing is done and if they do let him go then Free agency is probably the best answer
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I never heard that he was released.

I hope they resign him, when healthy he has proven to be a beast in the right system.

Maybe they are waiting to hear the status of the CBA?
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
primetime714

I think Elway made a comment suggesting that we'd need to bring in a RT to replace Harris. That doesn't mean thought that we cant just bring Harris back. It seems like he wants to return. He's great in a zone blocking scheme (perhaps our best run blocker).

The problem with Harris is the injuries. This wouldn't be such a huge deal if we weren't going with a left handed QB. However you can't have an oft injured OT guarding your QB's blind side.

I don't think there is any chance we go OT early in the draft. I think its either Harris or another Free Agent.

Since Harris seems to want to come back and might come at a lower cost I think we'll likely end up bringing him back and just look to add some solid depth either at G (behind Beadles) or at Tackle.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I think we will look at George Foster again. Ok, kidding aside, his contract ran out and I think Broncos just want to see option and possibly renegotiate. Dude has been injured lately and possibly need someone reliable. This might be where FO vs agent comes into play.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I don't think we'll know for sure what they are gioing to do until the cba thing is done and if they do let him go then Free agency is probably the best answer
Well I hope they resign him rather than looking elsewhere because this line has to have some continuity in terms of guys playing with each other. If we lose Harris then we bring in another guy who has to learn to mix into their system and play with the guy next to him. If a really interesting OT fell to the 3rd though, we should take him. You can never have enough O-line depth and we don't.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I think we will look at George Foster again. Ok, kidding aside, his contract ran out and I think Broncos just want to see option and possibly renegotiate. Dude has been injured lately and possibly need someone reliable. This might be where FO vs agent comes into play.
See that's what concerns me...he's seemingly not able to stay on the field. Who do we have behind him, assuming he re-signs here...that we can rely on if...some will say when...he goes down? Our O-line depth is very poor.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

What about that big kid (Solder) from CU he was all Big 12, has anyone watched him, he should be there in a later round?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Solder is a first-round pick and there are a few other first round tackles.

If Harris leaves, the Broncos would have plenty of options in the second and third round to get a versatile OL. A lot of G/T tweeners in this draft, and solid players in that area who could probably start right away.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

It's time we take care of our major needs:

Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

A chance to draft an impact DL and you want to take an OL? At a loss for words...
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
False.

They are both still under contract. NFL contracts don't expire until the end of the league year in March.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
A chance to draft an impact DL and you want to take an OL? At a loss for words...
Yes I see that...words aren't your specialty, reading them ahead of commenting anyway. I never said I wanted to draft an OT in the first place, and I stated later in this short thread that I didn't want to. My question is what do we do if we lose Ryan Harris? Or do you want to just ignore the fact that we might not have him on the roster next year? Trades, FA signings...what?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

According to Footsteps B.J. Raji was selected last year.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Solder is a first-round pick and there are a few other first round tackles.

If Harris leaves, the Broncos would have plenty of options in the second and third round to get a versatile OL. A lot of G/T tweeners in this draft, and solid players in that area who could probably start right away.
I watched Solder, the BC and Wisconsin kids all lined up together in these Senior Bowl practices NFLN has been doing. He's pretty incredible the way he gets downfield and moves in space. He's not built like an OT, more like a TE and no matter what you think about drafting defense you have to enjoy imagining this guy on the edges sealing off DE's and OLB's, leading screens 30 yards downfield or anchoring in a moving pocket. He's intriguing because he's one of those rare types that could probably play well in either the SZBS or in a power blocking line. The other two kids looked more like traditional offensive tackles, bulky and slower.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

There is no way we draft OT in the 1st round, our defense is attrocious and is short on talent, we can not keep ignoring that fact, Xanders said defense would be the focal point and I believe he will stick to that.

Beadles was a failure at RT, he was among the worst in the league at that spot and especially if he is going to be a blindside tackle for Tebow he doesn't have anywhere near the quickness required. Beadles has to stay at LG.

If we need a new RT, then we have to go through FA, we can not afford to waste a high round pick on an offensive player with the state the defense is in currently.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
According to Footsteps B.J. Raji was selected last year.
2009...whatever. Does it matter? I remember people saying we couldn't consider trying to get him because he wasn't a NT but he's playing well. I would love to snag a big quick NT guy like Powe or Phillips somehow.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
There is no way we draft OT in the 1st round, our defense is attrocious and is short on talent, we can not keep ignoring that fact, Xanders said defense would be the focal point and I believe he will stick to that.

Beadles was a failure at RT, he was among the worst in the league at that spot and especially if he is going to be a blindside tackle for Tebow he doesn't have anywhere near the quickness required. Beadles has to stay at LG.

If we need a new RT, then we have to go through FA, we can not afford to waste a high round pick on an offensive player with the state the defense is in currently.
So who is available in FA? Anyone know?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
2009...whatever. Does it matter? I remember people saying we couldn't consider trying to get him because he wasn't a NT but he's playing well. I would love to snag a big quick NT guy like Powe or Phillips somehow.
Yes, perspective matters.

Who the **** is Phillips?