The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Remember this guy? How bout another look?

I know you guys remember this guy even though his stay here was very brief. Check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...gos-faith.html

He was noteworthy more for his odd comment, "I'm back, back like cooked crack". Weird...yes. But Boyd was caught up in the crazy revolving RB door Shanahan employed his final season in the wake of unprecedented injuries in the offensive backfield and got on the field for one game only when Peyton Hillis went down, then got cut shortly after. I really wanted to see what he had and felt like he never really got the shot. Mike didn't seem to know what he had with Hillis, maybe he googed on this guy too.

Boyd ended up in the CFL, and he must not be a guy who performs well in practice, because he was cut by the Toronto Argonauts in June 2010, brought back a week later and promptly ran for 1,359 yards on 226 carries (6.01 ypc) and 6 TD's, finishing 2nd in the league in rushing as a CFL rookie. He seems like a guy who can make the most of an opportunity.

Since we clearly need some help in the backfield but we need to keep our draft powder dry for defense, I figure he's worth a look once again. Trying to make that roster of chaos in Shanny's final season doesn't seem like the right test somehow. I know CFL guys don't usually make it but the kid has talent and nice size at 6' 220 pounds with 4.5 speed. He runs to daylight with power, moves and speed and he's got excelent hands. In fact the way he combines that spin move with power and the ability to hit the hole remind me just a little of TD. Watch the CFL video for his catch at 1:15 into it...it looks like something Brandon Loyd would have done....a big time catch for a TD.

More importantly, he comes from a very very tough street background and he's hungry because of it. This is a guy whose mother died in prison and he met his father at her funeral. Boyd's a high character guy and a Christian who sees the football stage as a platform like Tebow does. I think he's worth another look, and that run in the first video is just jaw dropping. I think he broke 9 tackles.

Discuss...

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-27-2011 at 10:53 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Argonaut Cory Boyd's faith drives his game

CFL's emerging new star believes in God and his Argonauts teammates

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 | 6:15 PM ET.By Malcolm Kelly CBC Sports

Cory Boyd is stripping off his sweat-heavy shirts at the request of a visitor to reveal a tattooed chest, back and arms.

It's the end of a Thursday practice on a hot day at the University of Toronto's Mississauga campus, where the CFL's Toronto Argonauts are based.

Each of Boyd's dozen or so art pieces, it turns out, are evocative of some moment in a hard life that began in Orange, N.J., 25 years ago.

That upbringing includes the story of a mother who sold drugs on the street and would eventually die in jail, a father he never met until his mom's funeral, and both a girlfriend and cousin who were shot and killed.

There was the escape to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks, a short stint in the NFL with the Denver Broncos (one game, mostly practice roster), a couple of years inactivity, and then a chance to try again, this time north of the border.

Of all of the art, the one that says the most about the CFL's newest star is also one of the newest noticeable for its simplicity and length and sitting over the right side of his chest because the left side over his heart had already been occupied.

It is the Gospel of John, chapter 3, verse 16, and in the King James Version, it says:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

That will be the last tattoo on this body, Boyd says, as there are other ways to tell the tale.

This is a man who gives no quarter on the football field and expects none for himself. Through the first seven games of his coming out season, he has amassed a league-leading 711 yards on 117 carries for an average of 6.1 yards a pop.

That's 99 yards better than his next closest challenger, Arkee Whitlock of the Edmonton Eskimos.

Rollen Stewart's message

John 3:16 is easily the most famous biblical verse in sports, appearing on signs in crowds, the back of helmets, marked on ankle tape jobs and even on the eye-black paste-on patches of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow at this year's Orange Bowl game.

Tebow, the son of missionaries, normally wears Phil 4:13, denoting the biblical Epistle of Paul to the Philippians, on the patches, but switched it for the big game.

Where it is believed to have started, however, was with Rollen Stewart, a.k.a. The Rainbow Man, who in the late 1970s began showing up on U.S. network television sports in a rainbow wig as a ploy to get on the tube.

After the Super Bowl in 1980, however, Stewart became a Born Again Christian and began waving a sign that read John 3:16, carefully placing himself where the cameras could see him, driving TV producers and directors crazy and along the way draining his life savings.

Stewart would eventually fall into emotional difficulties and, in 1992, he tried to kidnap two men in his hotel room, frightened a maid instead and, when she locked herself in the bathroom, set off a hostage taking. All because he believed the end of the world was nigh.

He was found guilty on three counts of kidnapping, turned down a 12-year plea deal in order to have his say about the approaching end of the world, and is now serving three consecutive life terms in a California prison.
.All of the running back's experiences have left him with a considered, thoughtful answer when you wonder what he might say if asked: "Who is Cory Boyd?"

"I would tell them that Cory Boyd is a living testimony," he says, watching his teammates head for the locker-rooms and meetings. "I would tell them I am a rose that grew from concrete.

"You don't see too many roses growing from concrete. It's a tough place, the foundation is not fertile, and that's also dealing with football, with me, and my life because my life has always been about how beauty has come out of it."

We tend, in the media, to be uncomfortable about discussing faith and religion, and this is true with athletes as the separation of church and state also holds with church and sport. Professional athletes, brought up to believe they are special chosen the elite, often find solace in a spiritual expression.

Boyd is one. He sees his faith in everything around him, including the grass, the air, and the way football and basketball relate somehow to the Coliseum of ancient Rome and the attempt to bring glory to his God by using the athletic skills he believes were granted to him.

Those skills have produced some remarkable games this season, including 109 yards against Winnipeg, 142 in an upset against Calgary, 148 to squeeze past B.C. and 164 in a close victory over Edmonton.

Each time the approach is the same hit and spin, hit and spin ferocious and driven. After getting to know Boyd a bit, however, you start to understand what the rhythm is really about bam (glory to God), bam (glory to his teammates), bam (gain yards and win the game).

He beats people up. They beat him up. Where does the courage to stick your head into the thick of the fight come from?

"Honestly, that just comes from God, really," he says. "Giving me that strength every play. It's like I'm saying to myself, my team needs me, God help me. Even though it looks like I'm out there having fun and punishing the other guys, you have to understand I'm flesh and blood the same way."

And for the resurgent 5-2 Argonauts, Boyd has been a revelation, one that leaves you wondering why no one saw this in the runner before he got to the CFL.

"Until you have a player, there's no way to know [his heart]," says Jim Barker, the Argonauts head coach. "It's hard to show that stuff, for example, in an NFL camp, because they never hit. You get a couple of snaps in a pre-season game, and if you are in with a bad offensive line, it's hard for a running back."

Barker suspected there was something there, but really didn't know what he was getting when Boyd arrived.

"A lot of [what Boyd does] comes from his heart," Barker says. "It's very important to him. He's got the physical size that it takes, and that's just the way he plays."

And the way he is.

Fans have jumped on board

Earlier, in a small stand on the sidelines at this Argo practice, a small knot of fans sits in the stands and watches the proceedings.

It's here you can find out what supporters really think of the men who fill out the Double Blue. They'll tell you straight if any of them are jerks. They love Cory Boyd.

"I think he's a real team player," says Cindy LeRoy, who grew up in a football household where her father was a big Argo fan. "I found that in talking with him.

"I said 'I didn't see you celebrate when you scored all those touchdowns,' and he said those touchdowns weren't about me, they were about the team, and we play together as a team."

There's more than football that attracts the LeRoys (including husband Jim and son Thomas) to the young running back.

"[It's] the way he talks to people," she says. "The way he comes and talks to the kids and he talks to them about different things he's a very down-to-earth person."

The LeRoys point out they have, in hanging around their favourite team over the years, seen more than one player who doesn't fit that mould.

"Yeah, I can think of a few that got into the selfish mode," Jim says.

Out on the field, Boyd is playing defence while teammate Chad Owens's young son runs pass patterns against him. The big man is laughing his head off, having a great time.

Whatever it takes
About 48 hours later, it's game time, Toronto vs. the first-place Montreal Alouettes, a team that blasted the Argos 41-10 just over two weeks ago.

Boyd is all anyone was talking about in media scrums how the Als might approach stopping him as they did in Montreal when the Argos runner had 53 yards on nine carries.

At practice, Boyd had quietly pointed out that if the East's beasts wanted to key on him all night that would be fine with him, because the rest of the offence would be left wide open.

Just 19 plays into the game, Boyd had carried four times for 15 yards and seemed to be in check.

Until the league's newest star unveiled a little versatility of his own, taking the ball from quarterback Cleo Lemon, heading right and then stopping and throwing his own return pass across the field to the pivot who was waiting on the other sideline.

Thirteen yards. First down.

Four plays later, Boyd pounded over from one yard out, and the Argos were up 14-0 on the way to an upset 37-22 win and a share of first place.

He would finish with 63 yards on 17 carries as Chad Owens, released by the Als' intense focus on Boyd, emerged as the game's star and ultimately the CFL's offensive player of the week.

In the boisterous dressing room afterwards, the object of so much Montreal attention was happy as could be, even if he didn't get his 100 yards.

"Like I said earlier, it's all about the components," Boyd said, as the media thronged around Owens and Lemon. "I did my job. My receivers went out and did their job. My quarterback did an excellent job, my offensive line blocked, and like I said, if you scheme on one man that's ignorance on your part.

"It takes a team effort, and that's something we are trying to focus on and help ourselves get through."

My receivers. My quarterback. It seems easy and natural to substitute "my brothers" in there, and get to the heart of what Cory Boyd is all about.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...#ixzz1CJFj3tuy

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-27-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

My adopt-a-bronco since 2008! Glad to see him rebound in a manner similar to the re-emergence of cooked crack.
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

What do I get from that Argonauts film? No one seems to be in the stands, they are decades behind with the goal posts at the beg. of the TD (yes, I know that their Endzones are about 50 yards deep) and that their goal lines are marked 00. WTF?

As for his play, looked good. What he can do in the NFL might be different but I know he had some talent at South Carolina (if I am correct on the school).

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 01-27-2011 at 10:52 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Check out the run 20 seconds in where he runs it out of the end zone, puts a spin move on and he knocks that safety on his arse.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

We definitely need a speedy\slashy RB to share some carries and who can be that home run threat. Not sure it's Boyd we're needing but it's somebody.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
Jay3

I remember Cory Boyd on Spurrier's South Carolina Gamecocks -- he kept percolating to the top and carrying the load, even though there were other blue chip running backs on the squad.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Why not we need a spark at RB
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It kind of sucks that we passed on Blount also. Dude tore it up for the Bucs last year.

Undrafted, cut by the Titans, then turns into a 1000 yard powerhouse.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Not before we sign Brandon Browner to fix the secondary!

montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

To give you an idea what the talent level is like in the CFL

Willie Middlebrooks still plays for that same Argonauts team
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I remember Cory Boyd on Spurrier's South Carolina Gamecocks -- he kept percolating to the top and carrying the load, even though there were other blue chip running backs on the squad.
Yep...an SEC back is usually a good gamble. Look how TD was at Georgia and not even starting. Sometimes these guys just need the right situation with a coach who sees something. There's a quote from his CFL coach in Toronto that I thought was pretty interesting. Basically he says that players don't get to hit in NFL practices during the week. So if a guy can't make his impact in the game, in what is probably a very limited opportunity to carry the ball, he might slip by NFL coaching staffs unoticed. That's possibly what happened with Boyd, since he only got one small chance on the field here. That's exactly how TD also happened to make this team, he smacked someone silly on a special teams hit. This kid is unusual to me in that he seems like an every down back who didn't get drafted till the 7th round out of the SEC and he was pretty productive. A 6.0 ypc is eye popping even if it is the CFL so I hope Mr. Elway is listening...

I wonder if John does lurk on the Mane? It sounds silly but seriously...he's surely aware of the different fan boards...why would he not visit in here to see what we're saying? This new transparency kick they're on is the result of fan attendance don't you think? The team's trying to get fans back and Bowlen knows we have to do things differently so maybe he's hiding out in here too.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
To give you an idea what the talent level is like in the CFL

Willie Middlebrooks still plays for that same Argonauts team
Willie Middlebrooks is a very talented player. He was just injured throughout his career in the NFL. When he came out of Minnesota he was a big, fast corner with coverage skills and a hitter who could support the run. He was considered a safety prospect as well for that reason but he was fast enough for CB. The mistake with him was about his medical recovery time, not talent. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get another shot somewhere. In any case, a 6.0 ypc as a rookie in the CFL is still not a bad performance if he's trying to catch an NFL team's eye. He's no risk...possibly high upside, what's not to like?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
He's no risk...possibly high upside, what's not to like?
oh i agree, boyd single handedly killed the ticats this year in one game, but was a non factor in the other 2. Altho i think alot of that is just the way he was being used by the coach.

while we are at it, this guy just dont stop http://www.steviebaggs57.com/athlete-bio.html hes a little small to play the line in the nfl, but id love to see him out on the field for us in some way. i guess he came from the cardinals but never caught on, hes one of those guys who never ever takes a play off.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Looks to be about the same speed as Knowshon without moves. My 2 cents from watching the vids.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If he truly has the desire and talent, he can make it in the NFL. It's not like the CFL is on the moon or anything, he's gonna get noticed if he continues to do well. He may get invited to a team's training camp.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
oh i agree, boyd single handedly killed the ticats this year in one game, but was a non factor in the other 2. Altho i think alot of that is just the way he was being used by the coach.

while we are at it, this guy just dont stop http://www.steviebaggs57.com/athlete-bio.html hes a little small to play the line in the nfl, but id love to see him out on the field for us in some way. i guess he came from the cardinals but never caught on, hes one of those guys who never ever takes a play off.
I read his bio and watched the video, and the first thing that jumps out is that this guy is nowhere near your average cement head NFL defender. He's got an international business degree, founded AND runs a non profit organization working with kids. After reading that I'm actually interested in what he's doing from a business perspective. As an NFL prospect, he's listed on his website as 6'1", 241. If that holds up he falls into the weakside LB in a 43 defense category. One thing I see as a negative, he's 29 already. He might be a Woodyard type player though from the sound of it. Agressive defender who can come off the edge. Not sure if he fits here but take a shot and see. We need to come up with one, idealy two, players where we find somebody out of just turning over rocks until we mine some gold. We need a sleeper or some guy to emerge out of nowhere for us. It happens...every year in the NFL there are guys like this. We need to find a few, and scanning the CFL seems as good a bet as any to me. Hell we shouldn't stop lookinig at college basketball forwards as tight ends either. This regime needs to leave no stone un-turned in the pursuit of talent wherever they can find it. Small college guys, super talented preps that got hurt and dumped to the bottom of the depth chart then sat while another guy played so they never got much of a shot...out of positioon guys, workout warriors, guys who racked up huge numbers with inferior competition...the point is you just NEVER KNOW if you got a diamond in the rough somehow. I liken it to this chick I know who built a business by having people buy crap for her at garage sales and flea markets. She's sift through piles of junk, costume jewelry, dishes, etc...the kind of thing I'd toss in the trash. But she knows exactly what she's looking for and she's nabbed a $7,000 piece of jade jewelry for $1 and stuff like that. My point is we need to be dumpster divers and sift through any and everything we can find. If I were Fox I'd ask Bowlen to hire some new scouts to do nothing but scout small colleges and these other hidden talent markets.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Looks to be about the same speed as Knowshon without moves. My 2 cents from watching the vids.
You didn't see any moves in his college video? Are you serious? He looked like Barry freaking Sanders. He ran through the entire team and juked like 10 guys.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #19
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
You didn't see any moves in his college video? Are you serious? He looked like Barry freaking Sanders. He ran through the entire team and juked like 10 guys.
Sorry just watched the CFL one. I'll check it out (boss is hovering).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Popps
It's so easy

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

its not that simple tho footsteps, we cant just pick and choose anybody we want to take. CFL transfer agreement, the one that pat bowlen was instrumental in setting up, only allows players under cfl contracts to go to nfl tryouts in the final year of the contract.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

We could easily find a better RB than him in the 7th round or as a rookie free agent. Pass.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sorry just watched the CFL one. I'll check it out (boss is hovering).
Go back and re-watch that CFL video again. This is not his highlight film, it's just video of the game itself, not focused on him. He appears in only 7 plays that you can see on tape.

#1- Takes a handoff at his own 1 yard line, bursts through a crowd at the LOS, runs through an arm tackle from a linebacker and spins off another, runs straight upfield and plows over the strong safety and knocks him on his ass, then 3 guys tackle him 15 yards later at the 16 yard line.

#2 Takes a handoff 7 yards deep in the backfield at the 50 yard line and heads towards left tackle, plants and shifts deftly with one cut and sqirts through a crowd of players at the LOS, then blows by the linebackers 4 yards past the line and into the secondary where he cuts right 13 yards later and leaves the DB's in the dust on his way to paydirt. Watch this run...he sets up his blockers, something he talks about doing on another video interview you can google up and look at. He's a patient runner. He sets up defenders for his blockers, he shifts gears quickly and like TD he glides when he runs and he runs over people, not just past them.

#3 On 2nd and 10 from the opponents 15 he comes out of the backfield and takes the DB on a fly pattern to the corner of the end zone where he stretches out and looks like a wide receiver snagging a sweet looking TD catch with the defender a half step behind him.

#4 At 3:04 in he picks up a blitzing safety and stops him in his tracks, but the QB throws a pick anyway.

#5 At 3:41 in he takes a swing pass and heads up field with the safety closing with an angle who hits him 3 yards later. He fights, stiff arms and drags the guy another 8 yards for the 1st down before they go out of bounds.

#6 At 4:13 in he picks up a blitzing LB and stops him. The QB throws complete for the 1st down.

#7 He scores on a 3 yard TD run where he breaks 2 tackles and spins off another into the end zone for his 3rd TD run of the game.

Out of that series, I saw him twice pick up blitzing players and hold his ground, saw him make an exceptional catch for a TD with a guy on him, and saw him demonstrate power, speed, moves and the ability to run smart and set up behind his blocking. Now how good are these guys he's going against...who knows? But my point is it seems like he carries out assignments in different phases of the game and he demonstrates playmaking capability at a level somewhere between the SEC and the NFL. I think he looks like a different kind of runner than Knowshon. He ran 4.5 so that's a bit faster, but he seems like he has better balance and runs with much more of a north-south style as opposed to dancing in the hole. He explodes through holes. In those runs he had where he ran into a crowd there's frequently nobody touching him because he hit the hole and exploded instead of fooling around. He can dance and juke too though, as you see looking at the college highlight reel.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-28-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
its not that simple tho footsteps, we cant just pick and choose anybody we want to take. CFL transfer agreement, the one that pat bowlen was instrumental in setting up, only allows players under cfl contracts to go to nfl tryouts in the final year of the contract.
He was signed as a rookie FA, not sure what kind of contract, probably a short one, but I wounder if any of those guys who think they have a legit NFL shot sign longer deals than maybe 2 years? It would be interesting to find out.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lex is going to **** in his pants when he reads this. All he talked about was boyd for a while.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote