The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default Fairley looking like Panthers 1st pick

Interesting interview posted at pft involving Hurney the Panthers GM. Basically said that their 2 positions of highest need are QB followed by DT. Article states that:

Hurney said the Panthers’ No. 2 need is defensive tackle, and he said he’s already gathering information on Auburn’s Nick Fairley.

“At this point, we have to do more research,” Hurney said. “But obviously he’s an impact player inside. . . . I think when you’re picking high, it needs to be an impact position and an impact player.”

Here's the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-be-top-pick/

If this is the case the decision is then between Peterson and Bowers and with Ayers being a first round pick 2 years ago you almost have to take Peterson unless Ayers could play another position. Unless we stay in a 3-4, but then Bowers might be too small to play defensive end. Peterson is looking more and more like the pick even with Bailey most likely returning and the higher chance that Cox avoid prison or suspension.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Expect the faces of the top 5-10 picks to change in the next several months...you don't have to choose from those 3 guys alone
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

thats true, but at this point those 3 are the most elite players in the draft, while it might change all we can do at this point is speculate based on the information available.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Expect the faces of the top 5-10 picks to change in the next several months...you don't have to choose from those 3 guys alone
Fairley could be the next Alan Branch.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

It seems to me more and more teams are going with multiple fronts. There's no reason Fox won't take Bowers, IMO.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Are you fairley sure this is true?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by srphoenix View Post
Interesting interview posted at pft involving Hurney the Panthers GM. Basically said that their 2 positions of highest need are QB followed by DT. Article states that:

Hurney said the Panthers’ No. 2 need is defensive tackle, and he said he’s already gathering information on Auburn’s Nick Fairley.

“At this point, we have to do more research,” Hurney said. “But obviously he’s an impact player inside. . . . I think when you’re picking high, it needs to be an impact position and an impact player.”

If this is the case the decision is then between Peterson and Bowers and with Ayers being a first round pick 2 years ago you almost have to take Peterson unless Ayers could play another position. Unless we stay in a 3-4, but then Bowers might be too small to play defensive end. Peterson is looking more and more like the pick even with Bailey most likely returning and the higher chance that Cox avoid prison or suspension.
Flawed logic.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

Would love Peterson here, but I don't think anybody can predict this early what they'll do because these players change positions so much. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw the Mizzou kid rocket up to #1, or we could see Denver trade down a few spots. With Luck out of the draft, it's anybody's guess I suppose.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Number of things I hear out of an organization's mouth before the draft and believe = zero.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

We'll see what the mood of the Panthers is after the combine. Even if we miss on Fairley, we'll still be able to get a top-notch defensive player...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Number of things I hear out of an organization's mouth before the draft and believe = zero.
This
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I expect JJ Watt from Wisconsin to really shoot up draft boards and be the 2nd or 3rd defensive lineman selected in this draft.

That guy is a beast. He's huge, has a relentless motor, and put up amazing stats.

Watt is a top 5 guy and I wouldn't even mind us taking him with the 2nd pick.

JJ WATT BANDWAGON. Get on board.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Fairley could be the next Alan Branch.
Peterson could be the next Willie Middlebrooks.

I heard he has some bad wheels.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
schaaf

Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Are you fairley sure this is true?
You've been waiting to say that, haven't you...
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Its a trapppppp/smokescreeeeen
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that we met with Peterson already?
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Its a trapppppp/smokescreeeeen
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I believe nothing until Goodell walks up and announces it at the draft
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosMT View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that we met with Peterson already?
I read that too, I think we were supposed to meet with him yesterday or today
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I believe nothing until Goodell walks up and announces it at the draft
Or rather, I believe nothing until they spoil it by showing the player talking on his cell while Goodell walks up.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
good point.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
If this is the case the decision is then between Peterson and Bowers and with Ayers being a first round pick 2 years ago you almost have to take Peterson unless Ayers could play another position. .
what?
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Ayers is irrelevant to the conversation. If he had shown to be a person that is not upgradable then I'd say sure we are set but I don't think that is the case right now. Jury is still out on Ayers

In regards to Cox, he was a 5th round pick so I don't think he's plays into the equation either because if he does then why can't we get a secondary person later on just like Cox. To draft Peterson because Cox is going to jail doesn't seem like a valid argument for drafting Peterson

I think the pick with be front seven or trade down
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
primetime714

I think at 2 our choices are (in order of preference):

1) Fairley or Bowers (whoever Carolina doesn't pick)- pick one of them if they are the real deal, so if we feel like Bowers is a double digit sack guy year in and year out take him. If not....
2) Trade down- there's likely to be a QB (Gabbert) that teams really like if Carolina is going DL with the first pick teams may want to trade up ahead of teams like Buffalo or Cincy who could be looking for a QB. Trading down to 5 with Arizona could be a great opportunity to pick up an early second and another pick. And if we traded down to 5 there's still a good chance we'd end up with a guy like Peterson or an impact DL like Dareus.
3) Peterson- I only take Peterson at 2 if the team isn't confident in Bowers and if there are no good trade down options.

I'm a big fan of the trade down option but I fully support taking a DL at 2 if the team is confident in that player and feels they'll be a real difference maker at the next level. I'd be ok with Peterson because I feel like he's a rather safe bet to be a good player, but the position is lower impact and a lower priority in terms of needs.

Last edited by primetime714; 01-26-2011 at 12:34 PM..