The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Brady's orthopedic surgeon backs decision to sit Cutler

The official physicians report lists Cutler's injury as a grade 2 sprain, which means contrary to perception, it IS a tear, it's a significant injury, and according to these two prominent orthopedic surgeons Cutler and the Bears did the right thing in sitting him down.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011...ay_cutler.html

Two physicians say Jay Cutler "lucky" to only tear his MCL

By Sean Jensen on January 24, 2011 5:26 PM

The head physician for the Los Angeles Dodgers said quarterback Jay Cutler should not have finished the game and insisted he was fortunate that he didn't endure a more serious knee injury.

"With a little bit more force, the next thing to go, in that situation, is the ACL," said Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the orthopedic surgeon at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles and team doctor for Dodgers. "So anybody who has a Grade II or Grade III that doesn't have an ACL injury is lucky."

As first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times, Cutler's MRI Monday morning revealed that Cutler suffered a Grade II MCL tear in the second quarter of Sunday's NFC title game against the Green Bay Packers.

ElAttrache, who performed knee surgery on New England's Tom Brady in October 2008, also said that how Cutler and the Bears' medical team staff handled the situation is consistent with standard protocol."Initially, as soon as it happens, [the patient] may say, 'That feels unusual. Then keep playing,' " ElAttrache said. "But as the knee bleeds, it becomes more stiff and uncomfortable. So initially, you might find a guy who can play a couple of series. But then when he doesn't move around, his knee will stiffen up.

"Looking at it, as time went on, he became less mobile and more uncomfortable. If you feel you're not too mobile, you're not only putting yourself but your team at risk."

Dr. David Thorson, who works with the U.S. Ski team, added that trying to continue to play would have increased the chances of Cutler tearing his ACL, a knee ligament that requires upwards of six months of rehabilitation.

With the Grade II MCL tear, the usual healing time, which doesn't require surgery, is three to six weeks. Thorson added that Grade II MCL tears are the trickiest to diagnose. A Grade III is a complete tear, and a Grade I, he said, is just stretching, with a couple of fibers potentially tearing.
Grade II MCL tears are somewhere in the middle.

"The reality is, it's not black and white," he said. "How do you know if Grade I doesn't have a few fibers torn? You can't tell it, until you do an imaging study.
"There's a broad range in there."
Tags:Chicago Bears,David Thorson,Jay Cutler,Neal ElAttrache

I thought it was worth noting that last year Troy Polamula missed the entire season when he suffered the same injury and he tried to come back a couple games later, to early as it turns out, reagravated it and missed the season. Among the others who have missed major time, Steelers QB David Gerrard had a Grade 2 MCL sprain (tear) and missed several weeks, and was cut by the Steelers when he was unable to come back. LaDanian Tomlilnson missed playoff games a couple seasons ago with this injury.

Carry on...the Cutler talk is so fascinating I can't tear myself away. Who gives a **** about the draft now that we have more Cutler fodder eh?

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-24-2011 at 08:38 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

if you honestly think the issue is actually about the injury you are kidding yourself
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I don't like cutler, I like rooting against him. I didn't want to see him injured though, and don't call him a p***Y for having an injury.

That said, it also ruined me getting to see him play the entire game as terribly as he had up till the injury.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineBronco View Post
if you honestly think the issue is actually about the injury you are kidding yourself
Of couse it is. The entire basis of the argument that he should have stayed in the game is based on the idea he wasn't that hurt. The fact is, orthopedic doctors who know more than we do say the decison was correct.

Now if you want to talk about his affect, that's another question, but let's not get stupid in here now and pretend the injury issue is irrelevant. Obviously it's not, it's the primary issue.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Medical evidence? Pfft. What use is that? This is a message board, son. Medical evidence is for losers or Chiefs fans, or both.

I also don't see how an injury that would prevent him from playing for 3 to 6 weeks means he couldnt come back in...in about 5 minutes? Explain your reasoning.

And don't say the Cutler talk is so fascinating that you can't tear yourself away.....its you can't sprain yourself away. Don't overstate it.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineBronco View Post
Why would it not be about the injury?

First, it was alleged that there was no actual injury and that it was COMPLETELY contrived. Then you guys said its "not a big deal". Then you guys failed to comprehend that if a specific injury causes damage to the extent that he CAN'T PLAY FOR 3-6 WEEKS, THEN IT NECESSARILY FOLLOWS THAT HE CAN'T PLAY IN 5 MINUTES. Then it was "its just an MCL issue" until it was pointed out that Sharpe left SB33 with an MCL tear as well and we couldn't have that so then finally it became, who cares, Tebow played with broken legs, so since one person pulled off a herculean task of unbelievable proportions, its surely reasonable for every other athlete (read every other athlete we despise) to be held to the same level of expectation.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

We know cutler is a horrible human being because we don't like his body language. This is hilarious this is one scorned bronco nation I for one didnt want him to win but holy crap the guy had a torn mcl. Other than that nothings changed.
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I don't give a **** about Cutler. We have Tebow and I'm happy with that. But facts are taking a beating in here...let's deal with facts not what someone on twitter says.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
. But facts are taking a beating in here.
You're surprised by this?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
You're surprised by this?
No of course not, it's the OM way.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I get the feeling I'm watching someone trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. Anyone else?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I get the feeling I'm watching someone trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. Anyone else?
So is your argument with me or the two orthopedic surgeons quoted who say he did the right thing?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
So is your argument with me or the two orthopedic surgeons quoted who say he did the right thing?
I don't think I need to argue with anyone. His team mates and contemporaries will handle the judgement.

For the record, I don't think it will end well for Cutler.

PS-I bet there were a number of surgeons who told stink to retire after the 10th or 12th knee surgery and before he ever won a Super Bowl.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I don't think I need to argue with anyone. His team mates and contemporaries will handle the judgement.

For the record, I don't think it will end well for Cutler.

PS-I bet there were a number of surgeons who told stink to retire after the 10th or 12th knee surgery and before he ever won a Super Bowl.
I see. So you are arguing with Brady's orthopedic surgeon. Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
I see. So you are arguing with Brady's orthopedic surgeon. Thanks for clarifying that.
No, I'm saying that any doctor would say what they said, and that any real football player, like Stink, would say "thanks, where's the tape, I gotta get back on the field and help my teammates".
Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
No, I'm saying that any doctor would say what they said, and that any real football player, like Stink, would say "thanks, where's the tape, I gotta get back on the field and help my teammates".
Shannon Sharpe isn't a real football player? LaDanian Tomlilnson either? Troy Palamalu missed the entire year taking your advice btw...has it occured to you the Bears would like to keep their QB's future intact vs. putting him back into a game he was inneffective in anyway?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Shannon Sharpe isn't a real football player? LaDanian Tomlilnson either? Troy Palamalu missed the entire year taking your advice btw...has it occured to you the Bears would like to keep their QB's future intact vs. putting him back into a game he was inneffective in anyway?
Like I said. I don't feel like I need to argue this with anyone. Cutler has already lost in the court of peer opinion.

Two orthopedists who never examined him said football is dangerous. Yay.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Like I said. I don't feel like I need to argue this with anyone. Cutler has already lost in the court of peer opinion.

Two orthopedists who never examined him said football is dangerous. Yay.
Two orthodedists who know more than you do.

This thread is about the medical basis for the decision to sit Cutler, as opposed to the twitter informed, "court of public opinion" you subscribe to. You're right...don't argue this.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
This is a football game with real life medical diagnoses and the possibility of major long term risks......not Street Fighter II.

But here's Guile's theme because it fits in well with anything (including totally unrelated football threads):

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I say again: Even without the knee injury, Cutler played like complete ass in the biggest game of his life.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Penguins Gonchan played in the Playoffs with a torn mcl if I'm correct. Cutler couldn't do it for 12 on field minutes of football.

Come on...

Now remember this too: AFTER his injury, he came back on the field. Remember, he was INJURED. From what you can see, the injury wasn't as castrophic as the Cutler Fanboys want you to believe. If it was so bad, he would have been ruled out at halftime.

But they still forced him to come back on to the football field, and he b****ed off.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
I don't give a **** about Cutler. We have Tebow and I'm happy with that. But facts are taking a beating in here...let's deal with facts not what someone on twitter says.
Yeah right.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

When I was in HS I played football with a kid who started his entire senior season at MLB with torn knee ligaments. Ten years later, I ran into him one day in a church service I was invited to. He was walkling with a cane. The decisions fans glibly feel entitled to make for others have consequences that extend decades into the future. A lot of these NFL guys can barely walk by the time they're fifty.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Penguins Gonchan played in the Playoffs with a torn mcl if I'm correct. Cutler couldn't do it for 12 on field minutes of football.

Come on...

Now remember this too: AFTER his injury, he came back on the field. Remember, he was INJURED. From what you can see, the injury wasn't as castrophic as the Cutler Fanboys want you to believe. If it was so bad, he would have been ruled out at halftime.

But they still forced him to come back on to the football field, and he b****ed off.
Wrong. Read the doctor's opinion on why he was able to come back for a while. He probably knows more than you do don't you think?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Why would it not be about the injury?

First, it was alleged that there was no actual injury and that it was COMPLETELY contrived. Then you guys said its "not a big deal". Then you guys failed to comprehend that if a specific injury causes damage to the extent that he CAN'T PLAY FOR 3-6 WEEKS, THEN IT NECESSARILY FOLLOWS THAT HE CAN'T PLAY IN 5 MINUTES. Then it was "its just an MCL issue" until it was pointed out that Sharpe left SB33 with an MCL tear as well and we couldn't have that so then finally it became, who cares, Tebow played with broken legs, so since one person pulled off a herculean task of unbelievable proportions, its surely reasonable for every other athlete (read every other athlete we despise) to be held to the same level of expectation.
its not about the injury....he sucked before the injury and put his team in a 14 point hole...then he looked like someone just told him his dog died the whole second half....he couldnt look like less of a teammate on a team that was a game away from the Super Bowl

who cares though? he's not on our team
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote