The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: Did Bowlen and McDaniels make the right call in trading Jay Cutler?
Yes 88 83.81%
No 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default Did Bowlen and McDaniels make the right call in trading Jay Cutler?

There are now reports that Cutler demanded a trade the day McDaniels was hired... McDaniels did his best to work out.

Enough was enough when Jay disrespected the owner.

Did Bowlen and McDaniels make the right call?
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

When the going gets tough Cutler folds like a lawn chair!
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,677

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Cutler is not mentally tough. Mcd made the right call.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 14,967
Default

You have to start evaluating performance of the players we received in the trade. The right call is a call that should/would have made this franchise better. If those players start to perform and help us get to the playoffs, it may have been the right call.

Right now, it's too hard to tell.

I do believe the voting is going to be lopsided due to the hatred for Jay Cutler on this website.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I do believe the voting is going to be lopsided due to the hatred for Jay Cutler from all football fans across the USA.
..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer
 
Jesterhole's Avatar
 
Ridin' the McFailboat...

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,442
Default

Given what we did with the compensation, and the lack of attention our defense got do to the fallout of said trade, hell no.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Given what we did with the compensation, and the lack of attention our defense got do to the fallout of said trade, hell no.
Because we're talking about the action of trading... the compensation would be completely irrelevant. Then you go onto what we did those draft picks, which is even MORE irrelevant to the question.

We got Orton, and NFL starting QB, and 2 1st round picks which eventually contributed to Tim Tebow.

Let's be serious here, do you think the Bears could get the same compensation McDaniels did for Cutler?
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

I don't "hate" Cutler, I just think it was the right move. I think McD knew what sort of mentality it took to win big games.

He knew he could get Orton and have the same results, and plan for the future.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Of course.

Can a QB win you a super bowl? No? Then why settle on him unless your D, STs, and running game are good enough to carry him there?

None of those aspects are true about the Denver Broncos and haven't been since, well, ever. This is a QB led franchise historically. So you don't settle for the Cutlers, Ortons, Grieses, Plummers, etc..

This is why we need to show commitment to defense, so that we no longer live and die by the guy under center every year. But while we're fixing the D we'd be well served to keep searching for a true franchise QB while we're at it. Never know when one will show up. Peyton Manning went #1 overall. Aaron Rodgers went #26. Drew Brees went at the start of the 2nd and was signed in free agency by New Orleans. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

Now we've got Tebow and we can see what he's got. So far I like what I've seen from him more than any QB the last 10 years.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,411
Default

at the time trade, no way.

but hind sight is always 20/20
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
at the time trade, no way.

but hind sight is always 20/20
Funny. I haven't changed my stance on it from when it first happened.

Hell, my stance on Cutler hasn't changed since the end of the '08 season before Shanahan was even fired.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,743

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
You have to start evaluating performance of the players we received in the trade. The right call is a call that should/would have made this franchise better. If those players start to perform and help us get to the playoffs, it may have been the right call.

Right now, it's too hard to tell.

I do believe the voting is going to be lopsided due to the hatred for Jay Cutler on this website.
And that 'hate' just came out of thin air. It's just not fair. What did Jay ever do to deserve the nation wide dislike of him. All he did was get his team in the playoffs and get injured trying to win a game for them. Right?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,743

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Because we're talking about the action of trading... the compensation would be completely irrelevant. Then you go onto what we did those draft picks, which is even MORE irrelevant to the question.

We got Orton, and NFL starting QB, and 2 1st round picks which eventually contributed to Tim Tebow.

Let's be serious here, do you think the Bears could get the same compensation McDaniels did for Cutler?
That's a great question and should have it's own thread.

The answer to that will tell you much.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 7,411

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Funny. I haven't changed my stance on it from when it first happened.

Hell, my stance on Cutler hasn't changed since the end of the '08 season before Shanahan was even fired.
Me too. I tried to get aboard since he was our QB - I have that tendency, being a fan and all, but I hated the draft pick (I wanted Ngata and I'm a Plummer fan), hated his attitude and was glad when he was shipped out.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 14,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
And that 'hate' just came out of thin air. It's just not fair. What did Jay ever do to deserve the nation wide dislike of him. All he did was get his team in the playoffs and get injured trying to win a game for them. Right?
Blame McDaniels, you know the coach who got canned before finishing his second season.

He is the one who everyone should be pissed at.

Turning us into a joke.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Me too. I tried to get aboard since he was our QB - I have that tendency, being a fan and all, but I hated the draft pick (I wanted Ngata and I'm a Plummer fan), hated his attitude and was glad when he was shipped out.
Sure. I was pumped myself but after 37 games of seeing him mentally shut it down in big games and watching rookies like Ryan and Flacco come in that year and step their games up to make playoff pushes with their new teams its pretty hard to stay on that bandwagon.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Me too. I tried to get aboard since he was our QB - I have that tendency, being a fan and all, but I hated the draft pick (I wanted Ngata and I'm a Plummer fan), hated his attitude and was glad when he was shipped out.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was pissed we didn't take Ngata
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 14,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Sure. I was pumped myself but after 37 games of seeing him mentally shut it down in big games and watching rookies like Ryan and Flacco come in that year and step their games up to make playoff pushes with their new teams its pretty hard to stay on that bandwagon.
The knock on Matt Ryan is that he cannot win/perform in those big games..
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Of course.

Can a QB win you a super bowl? No? Then why settle on him unless your D, STs, and running game are good enough to carry him there?

None of those aspects are true about the Denver Broncos and haven't been since, well, ever. This is a QB led franchise historically. So you don't settle for the Cutlers, Ortons, Grieses, Plummers, etc..

This is why we need to show commitment to defense, so that we no longer live and die by the guy under center every year. But while we're fixing the D we'd be well served to keep searching for a true franchise QB while we're at it. Never know when one will show up. Peyton Manning went #1 overall. Aaron Rodgers went #26. Drew Brees went at the start of the 2nd and was signed in free agency by New Orleans. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

Now we've got Tebow and we can see what he's got. So far I like what I've seen from him more than any QB the last 10 years.
I'm curious, what exactly have you seen to make you say that?
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was pissed we didn't take Ngata
Single biggest draft mistake Shanahan made.

Everyone loves the "ED REED!" revisionist bull****. But we went to the AFCCG with Plummer and a rag tag DL that Coyer was coaching out of their minds. We had all the firepower needed to get Ngata and finally put a young, powerful gap filler in there who would make all the rest of our DL play better and save wear and tear on our LBs. Instead Shanahan needed a new QB, a new TE, etc..

People b**** about McDaniels not drafting front seven. In two years he took one front seven player. In over a decade here Shanahan took two.

Yet McDaniels destroyed the team, not the previous HC who left the cupboards bare on his way out.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,936

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Single biggest draft mistake Shanahan made.

Everyone loves the "ED REED!" revisionist bull****. But we went to the AFCCG with Plummer and a rag tag DL that Coyer was coaching out of their minds. We had all the firepower needed to get Ngata and finally put a young, powerful gap filler in there who would make all the rest of our DL play better and save wear and tear on our LBs. Instead Shanahan needed a new QB, a new TE, etc..

People b**** about McDaniels not drafting front seven. In two years he took one front seven player. In over a decade here Shanahan took two.

Yet McDaniels destroyed the team, not the previous HC who left the cupboards bare on his way out.
Mike Shanahan the GM again screwing Mike Shanahan the coach. It's amazing the coach lasted as long as he did...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
The knock on Matt Ryan is that he cannot win/perform in those big games..
Ryan continually steps up and makes the plays needed to get his team over the hump in late season games to push for the playoffs. His biggest problem isn't his big game play, its that he's not that great of a QB and gets exposed by playoff quality defenses. Same thing with Joe Flacco. But both led their teams to wins down the stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I'm curious, what exactly have you seen to make you say that?
How he rallied the team back against Houston and how he kept the entire offense fighting every series against Oakland and San Diego, two teams that smoke showed us earlier in the year, and putting us in position to win each game if the defense makes any timely stops.

He did the same in college. When a play breaks down guys like Orton, Cutler, etc. are highly prone to making mistakes. When a play breaks down around Tebow he makes things happen. It keeps his entire offense fired up and focused on the play at hand because you never know when Tebow is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat and make you the beneficiary of something special.

Tim Tebow is basically the more athletic, Christian, non-rapist version of Ben Rapistburger. Better deep ball, not as accurate in short range, few differences like that. But the way we saw Rapistburger keeping plays alive against a great Jets D is the same kind of thing Tebow as doing against Houston, Oakland, and SD, and the same kinds of plays he made against high level collegiate competition.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Single biggest draft mistake Shanahan made.

Everyone loves the "ED REED!" revisionist bull****. But we went to the AFCCG with Plummer and a rag tag DL that Coyer was coaching out of their minds. We had all the firepower needed to get Ngata and finally put a young, powerful gap filler in there who would make all the rest of our DL play better and save wear and tear on our LBs. Instead Shanahan needed a new QB, a new TE, etc..

People b**** about McDaniels not drafting front seven. In two years he took one front seven player. In over a decade here Shanahan took two.

Yet McDaniels destroyed the team, not the previous HC who left the cupboards bare on his way out.
I totally agree they have ignored the D-line for far too long and now we have a good opportunity to build this defense the right way (Front to back) and I think Fox is the right coach to do it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Say what you want about Orton, but he's played through significant injuries for his team.

The Bears would have had a better chance of winning yesterday with him behind center.

Instead, they traded two #1's and Orton... and you saw the result.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,936

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Say what you want about Orton, but he's played through significant injuries for his team.

The Bears would have had a better chance of winning yesterday with him behind center.

Instead, they traded two #1's and Orton... and you saw the result.
Oh, the irony... if dabears just would have stuck it out with Orton, they may very well be in the SB. I know Orton has some serious limitations, but toughness is not one of them.

I wonder if dabears would give us their second round pick for Orton...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Denver Broncos