The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Looking to upgrade my PC (Help appreciated)

I don't know tons about setting up a system, so I was hoping to pick someones brain that is more techy than I.

I will be gaming on my new rig. Probably gonna play SC2, D3 and probably some other RPGs like Dragon Age 2 or something.

I am on a buget, hoping to stay under about $700, but with potential to upgrade later if need be. I also like to go higher end, so I'm more satisfied with my investments.

This is what I was thinking of going with this from Newegg, is it all compatable, quality, and with my vid card choices?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.569868

and then video card I was debating between these two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161315
(very affordable, great reviews, cheap, I can Crossfire it later if I need more power, and it doesn't cost a lot)

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127512
(Bumps me a little over my buget... but the obviously far superior card)

Last edited by Doggcow; 01-23-2011 at 03:05 AM..
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I also plan on hooking this computer up to my 50" G25, so I'm not going to get a monitor at this juncture.

And in the same vein, anyone recommend any specific wireless keyboards/mice?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

oh hey I accidentally closed the tab while responding!

long story short:

you have a problem with your priorities of processor vs. video card. if you want a gaming machine, the video card is far more important. you do not need or even want that six core processor. for one thing, if you want to spend $200 on a processor, an Intel Sandy Bridge model will straight murder that 6-core in any game (or anything else, really) you could care to name. You can get a cheaper processor from Intel or AMD that will outperform that one in games.

The first video card you linked will not be sufficient. If you are using a 50 inch monitor, you are going to be running games at a resolution of at leas 1900x1080. At those resolutions, even the second card, with it's limited 768mb of video RAM, is going to be problematic. You're going to need to spend more on the video card regardless of whether or not you go cheaper on the processor (and, again, you should pick a different processor whether you go cheaper or not).

That case is a luxury you cannot afford at that budget (particularly given the demands of your monitor). There's nothing wrong with something like this, for instance (though you may want to get additional/better fans).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

I would look to budget in this particular video card at minimum and go from there. At $20 more than the 768MB 460, it will handily outperform it in any game, and it'll do it with slightly less power usage and slightly lower temperatures. With lots of overclocking headroom.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Just head over to maximumpc.com.

They usually have a budget list. Just need to search for it.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post

long story short:

you have a problem with your priorities of processor vs. video card. if you want a gaming machine, the video card is far more important. you do not need or even want that six core processor. for one thing, if you want to spend $200 on a processor, an Intel Sandy Bridge model will straight murder that 6-core in any game (or anything else, really) you could care to name. You can get a cheaper processor from Intel or AMD that will outperform that one in games.

The first video card you linked will not be sufficient. If you are using a 50 inch monitor, you are going to be running games at a resolution of at leas 1900x1080. At those resolutions, even the second card, with it's limited 768mb of video RAM, is going to be problematic. You're going to need to spend more on the video card regardless of whether or not you go cheaper on the processor (and, again, you should pick a different processor whether you go cheaper or not).

That case is a luxury you cannot afford at that budget (particularly given the demands of your monitor). There's nothing wrong with something like this, for instance (though you may want to get additional/better fans).
The overclocking benchmarks for the 1075t were dominant from all the reviews I have read so far... this for instance http://www.overclockers.com/amd-phen...-1075t-review/
Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

If you want a budget pc, yet the capability to upgrade later. I'd spend a bit on a nicer motherboard. You can easily skimp out on a graphics card and get the lower end CPU for now.

I still have my 8800 gts in my i7 machine and run World of Warcraft on the highest settings (I guess not too hard).
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I would look to budget in this particular video card at minimum and go from there. At $20 more than the 768MB 460, it will handily outperform it in any game, and it'll do it with slightly less power usage and slightly lower temperatures. With lots of overclocking headroom.
I was thinking I could double up my gpu's if I needed to. Why wouldn't that be an issue?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler

DENVER FANS ARE IDIOTS! NO COACH WANTS US!

/Playad
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

1. Hold off a little while if you can and wait for Nvidia's Geforce GTX 560's to drop. Could happen as soon as the end of the month. Supposed to be ~15-20% better than the 460 and enter the market at the same price point.

2. I completely agree with extralife's comments on the case and the CPU. AMDs are ok but Intel has been beasting on them for the better part of this decade and that doesn't look to stop any time soon. You're tying yourself to an AMD mobo because you've read that one chip OC's well. No matter how well it OC's its not going to hold up to you buying a newer model intel mobo and being able to upgrade through the years with a series of rock solid, top of the line chips. Also, a $120 case has no business in a "budget" CPU build.

Do you need a DVD/BRD drive in this? You haven't mentioned one. Are you going to cannibalize one from another system or buy one on the cheap, because if its the later a few extra dollars in that to bump DVD to BRD is a worthwhile investment for what will be a HTPC.

A few things I'd recommend to start with.

Case:
$45 Thermaltake black ATX case

PSU:
$80 700W PSU with additional 15% off coupon

CPU:
$195 i5 Sandy Bridge, lowest cost entry into the LGA 1555 socket line

Mobo + RAM:
$270 for a quality MSI LGA 1555 mobo and 8GB of DDR3 1866 Corsair mem (2x4GB, so ready for more)

HDD:
$65 (after promo code) WD 1TB 6.0 GB/s HDD

Disc Drive:
$50 LiteOn BD-Rom, only reads

or

$110 LiteOn BD-R/BD-RE w/lightscribe, reads and writes CD, DVD, BDR

I know that this runs ~$700 before a graphics card (only $650 if you pass on the disc drive) but its a FAR superior kit with MUCH greater future expansion possible and it focuses your money where it should be (the mobo, mem, etc., not the case).

Not to mention that having 8GB of 1866 mem instead of 4GB of 1600 and using a 6 GB/s HDD instead of a 3 GB/s would make a HUGE impact from day one. That is even before you'd turbo boost the i5 to 3.1 Ghz or OC the mem to 2133.

I would also personally grab two of the 1 TB HDDs and run them as a RAID stripe 0 pair. That would really fly. But then I'd also personally throw an 80-120 GB SSD in there for my Windows partition and I offload all media to my home network so the 2 TB RAID 0 setup would be focused almost exclusively on crushing Steam.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
If you want a budget pc, yet the capability to upgrade later. I'd spend a bit on a nicer motherboard. You can easily skimp out on a graphics card and get the lower end CPU for now.

I still have my 8800 gts in my i7 machine and run World of Warcraft on the highest settings (I guess not too hard).
Yeah, you can run WoW on a netbook(and a goddamned PSP).

You say 'upgrade'....What do you have right now? No need to get a new case or PSU if you have a decent one already.

As far as general upgrades go, the best piece of hardware in my rig(Which I love dearly) in terms of the performance boost it's responsible for is my SSD. It's outstanding.

Of course, if you're starting from scratch that's a different story. If you're going barebones for now, with the option of improving later, I agree with Ratboy, get a good Mobo for now, worry about graphics card and the CPU later. Honestly, it's hard for me to see the difference between the mid and high end CPUs at the moment. Maybe later, but the current crop of games just aren't pushing the boundaries yet. D3 probably won't either.

Don't even think about going SLI/Crossfire. Get one card, and if you need to go dual cards later on then you can, but I have one card(Radeon 5850), and there's no game I can't run on full settings at present, plus I have the option of upgrading my rig by getting another one. If you get 2 mid-low range cards, then you need to toss both of them to upgrade.

Ram is dirt cheap, so don't even concern yourself with that.

For me, personally, if you're serious about the upgrading later thing, invest in a good case. I have a Silverstone Fortress, and even though it cost $300, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. No dust, the back is on the top, there's TONS of room, it's tidy, I can change out the CPU/CPU cooler without removing the Mobo...It's great. Don't skimp out on the case if you're serious about upgrading later.

Also, don't even bother getting a disc drive. You can install windows from a USB stick, and you can download all your games(I don't think there is a game you can't buy online right now). Steal the one from your old rig if you must, as I did, but it's not worth more money.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Tigerdirect is where I buy my PC components. There are always some really good deals there, especially if you buy the stuff that is about 6 months behind the state of the art. Building your own PC is fun, and you'll get about twice the performance for half the price of a name brand.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
The overclocking benchmarks for the 1075t were dominant from all the reviews I have read so far... this for instance http://www.overclockers.com/amd-phen...-1075t-review/
That's a rather suspect testing suite. For instance, I could link this which shows all the new Intel chips beating a better version of that six core in pretty much every benchmark. But even before those, the 15 750 was the undisputed king at that price range. The motherboard socket is also a factor, as someone else said. Intel is rather fond of swapping sockets a little too often, but the AMD AM3 socket is at the end of its lifespan. If you go with that chip you will not be able to upgrade your processor without buying a new motherboard in the future.

As far as going dual GPU with SLI or Crossfire: it depends. I would not recommend it for you with that monitor and either of those cards because the memory limits are not doubled in dual GPU configurations. As far as video memory is concerned, there is no difference between 1 460 card and 2 460 cards. Keep in mind that SLI/Crossfire do not scale perfectly either. 2 cards are never twice as good as 1.

But the resolution of your monitor is the biggest factor here. if it is 1900x1080 you probably want a card with 1 gig of RAM. if it is higher than that you absolutely require a gig or more or you will suffer very noticeable frame rate hits in any game that requires reasonable graphic muscle.

If you are building this machine primarily with gaming in mind or even with gaming as a strong factor, I would eliminate that first card out of hand. The video card is the most important part of your PC for gaming and your budget should reflect that.

edit: also you should not budget a CPU with extreme overclock numbers in mind, especially if you don't have a lot of experience overclocking. that processor you linked is not a black edition, which means overclocking is slightly complicated and depends heavily on your motherboard and your RAM. also if you plan on doing any significant overclocking you are going to need a third party CPU cooler because the stock ones simply won't get the job done (though stock AMD coolers are noticeably better than stock Intel ones).

Last edited by extralife; 01-23-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

long story short:

agreed....well said
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
That's a rather suspect testing suite. For instance, I could link this which shows all the new Intel chips beating a better version of that six core in pretty much every benchmark. But even before those, the 15 750 was the undisputed king at that price range. The motherboard socket is also a factor, as someone else said. Intel is rather fond of swapping sockets a little too often, but the AMD AM3 socket is at the end of its lifespan. If you go with that chip you will not be able to upgrade your processor without buying a new motherboard in the future.

As far as going dual GPU with SLI or Crossfire: it depends. I would not recommend it for you with that monitor and either of those cards because the memory limits are not doubled in dual GPU configurations. As far as video memory is concerned, there is no difference between 1 460 card and 2 460 cards. Keep in mind that SLI/Crossfire do not scale perfectly either. 2 cards are never twice as good as 1.

But the resolution of your monitor is the biggest factor here. if it is 1900x1080 you probably want a card with 1 gig of RAM. if it is higher than that you absolutely require a gig or more or you will suffer very noticeable frame rate hits in any game that requires reasonable graphic muscle.

If you are building this machine primarily with gaming in mind or even with gaming as a strong factor, I would eliminate that first card out of hand. The video card is the most important part of your PC for gaming and your budget should reflect that.

edit: also you should not budget a CPU with extreme overclock numbers in mind, especially if you don't have a lot of experience overclocking. that processor you linked is not a black edition, which means overclocking is slightly complicated and depends heavily on your motherboard and your RAM. also if you plan on doing any significant overclocking you are going to need a third party CPU cooler because the stock ones simply won't get the job done (though stock AMD coolers are noticeably better than stock Intel ones).
Ok so should I go with Drek's computer and your Video card? In the future Ill probably upgrade both the processor and gpu, and turn my current setup into a an alternate PC.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Ok so should I go with Drek's computer and your Video card? In the future Ill probably upgrade both the processor and gpu, and turn my current setup into a an alternate PC.
If you want to upgrade the CPU, GPU, etc. down the road then look towards things like what I recommended.

I'm not saying get those exact items straight from New Egg, just think along those lines.

Concentrate your money in the parts that can last through several updates, like the power supply, mobo, etc..

Here's examples as to why the setup I'd suggested works well:

1. the mobo uses the new 1155 chipset Intel rolled out with Sandy Bridge, so you know its going to be getting new front end chips for at least another year or two. You'll therefore have options to upgrade into that aren't even on the market yet.

2. It sets you up with a solid 700W power supply that is SLI and Crossfire compatible. That coupled with the mobo (also SLI/Crossfire compatible) lets you go that route as a GPU upgrade instead of just buying a whole new card for less bang:buck.

3. You'll start with a serious amount of ram, but better yet it runs at the peak clock speed your mobo will allow and comes in 2x4G sticks, meaning its about as big a stick as you'll be buying for the system period. So when you want more mem you're just adding sticks. If you get mem that runs at a lower clock than the max your mobo can support its entirely possible in a couple years you'll upgrade your memory and end up discarding those old sticks because memory only runs as fast as the slowest clock rate stick plugged in. I.e. if you have a 1600 stick plugged in and buy some 1866 to add to it you'll see everything just run at 1600, making the new ram run at less than peak performance.

4. Keep a mobo with RAID features in mind. I'll reiterate the fact that the mobo I pointed out offers not just 6.0 GB/s SATA speeds (awesome for even a single drive) but it can also run a RAID over the two 6.0 GB/s SATA ports. That means when/if you want more storage you can go the route of adding a new 6.0 GB/s compatible HDD (aim for same exact brand and if possible model as the previous one) and see the whole deal run smooth as butter over a RAID 0.

GPUs and CPUs turn over quickly. The core technologies on your mobo, PSU, ram, and HDDs see longer life cycles. Set yourself up so that those four aspects will stick around, maybe add to them like ram or HDD but still using the original purchase, and then you can swap out CPUs and GPUs as the market dictates.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I would go I5 with the ASUS P7p55d board

Get the fastest best RAM you can afford.

Get the best Video card you can afford.

I would get a case that you can water cool with.

Search via buy.com, they search all the above listed sites, newegg and tiger among others.

Make sure you pop for 64 bit Win7 or your not getting the most out of your hardware.

Buy at least 4 gig of ram, I would consider 8 gig if you can afford it.

Buy at least 1 extra case fan for cooling the video card.

Make sure your Power supply can handle the extra voltage of the gear your going to throw at it.

Make sure your HD spins at 7500 or 10k or consider going solid state, the faster the drive spins the better.

I built an I5 system last year, I have never experienced such a great jump from one system to another. I can't bog it down.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Get the 460.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
If you want to upgrade the CPU, GPU, etc. down the road then look towards things like what I recommended.

I'm not saying get those exact items straight from New Egg, just think along those lines.

Concentrate your money in the parts that can last through several updates, like the power supply, mobo, etc..

Here's examples as to why the setup I'd suggested works well:

1. the mobo uses the new 1155 chipset Intel rolled out with Sandy Bridge, so you know its going to be getting new front end chips for at least another year or two. You'll therefore have options to upgrade into that aren't even on the market yet.

2. It sets you up with a solid 700W power supply that is SLI and Crossfire compatible. That coupled with the mobo (also SLI/Crossfire compatible) lets you go that route as a GPU upgrade instead of just buying a whole new card for less bang:buck.

3. You'll start with a serious amount of ram, but better yet it runs at the peak clock speed your mobo will allow and comes in 2x4G sticks, meaning its about as big a stick as you'll be buying for the system period. So when you want more mem you're just adding sticks. If you get mem that runs at a lower clock than the max your mobo can support its entirely possible in a couple years you'll upgrade your memory and end up discarding those old sticks because memory only runs as fast as the slowest clock rate stick plugged in. I.e. if you have a 1600 stick plugged in and buy some 1866 to add to it you'll see everything just run at 1600, making the new ram run at less than peak performance.

4. Keep a mobo with RAID features in mind. I'll reiterate the fact that the mobo I pointed out offers not just 6.0 GB/s SATA speeds (awesome for even a single drive) but it can also run a RAID over the two 6.0 GB/s SATA ports. That means when/if you want more storage you can go the route of adding a new 6.0 GB/s compatible HDD (aim for same exact brand and if possible model as the previous one) and see the whole deal run smooth as butter over a RAID 0.

GPUs and CPUs turn over quickly. The core technologies on your mobo, PSU, ram, and HDDs see longer life cycles. Set yourself up so that those four aspects will stick around, maybe add to them like ram or HDD but still using the original purchase, and then you can swap out CPUs and GPUs as the market dictates.
I Agree with this, I am running the same HDD, PSU and case that I did on previous box, upgraded MOBO, ram, CPU and GPU, later added a 2nd GPU.

Depending what games you want to play, getting a good CPU is highly underrated, if you want to pull the next far cry game, then yeah splash on GPU, but for many current games you are going to be limited by the hardware that is in an XBOX 360 or PS3 neither of which is good compared to a good gaming box. A better CPU will decrease load times and inrease reliability, overclocking especially if you are going to game heavily is only as good as your cooling and if you are looking to save money then don't overclock because a stock fan won't handle it.

Your graphics card should largely be determined by your MOBO - CPU combo, get ATI if you are leaning towards AMD, and get nvidia if you are going intel.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm at about $810

Went with Drek's suggestion. Extra's gfx card, and an i5 2500k.

What do you all think?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
floats

I just built two Sandy Bridge systems in the last week, one for my friend and one for myself. He went with an i7-2600k and a few other splurges. I went with an i5-2500K, ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard, 8 GB of Corsair RAM and an Asus EAH6860 video card. He gave me an 850 watt power supply and I already had an HD and DVD burner from a previous system. I went with the Scythe Mugen-2 heatsink as the stock one is rather puny. If you live near a Micro Center, they have some nice in-store only deals on i5/i7 combos. BTW, I've got my i5-2500k (stock 3.3 GHz) running at 4.7 GHz with my case fans running on low. Granted, it's got three 120 mm fans in the front, two 120 mm fans in the rear and a 200 mm fan up top. I would have went with a much smaller and tamer looking case like the Antec Three Hundred mentioned earlier in this thread, but the power supply my friend gave me only fits in a handful of cases. I think Antec Twelve Hundred is a bit ridiculous, but it'll be sitting underneath my desk and with all the fans on low, it's actually pretty quiet.

Note that the Sandy Bridge i5s and i7s have integrated video on the chip and, as such, don't respond as well to overclocking of the bus. That's where the i5-2500k and i7-2600k show their value, as their multipliers are unlocked. I'd skip Drek's recommendation of the i5-2400 and go straight to the i5-2500K. You'd spend $30 more, but you don't need the faster memory he recommended. Oh, both the video card and memory I have listed each have $20 mail in rebates, so you'll save even more there.

Last edited by floats; 01-23-2011 at 11:15 PM..
floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #22
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by floats View Post
I just built two Sandy Bridge systems in the last week, one for my friend and one for myself. He went with an i7-2600k and a few other splurges. I went with an i5-2500K, ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard, 8 GB of Corsair RAM and an Asus EAH6860 video card. He gave me an 850 watt power supply and I already had an HD and DVD burner from a previous system. I went with the Scythe Mugen-2 heatsink as the stock one is rather puny. If you live near a Micro Center, they have some nice in-store only deals on i5/i7 combos. BTW, I've got my i5-2500k (stock 3.3 GHz) running at 4.7 GHz with my case fans running on low. Granted, it's got three 120 mm fans in the front, two 120 mm fans in the rear and a 200 mm fan up top. I would have went with a much smaller and tamer looking case like the Antec Three Hundred mentioned earlier in this thread, but the power supply my friend gave me only fits in a handful of cases. I think Antec Twelve Hundred is a bit ridiculous, but it'll be sitting underneath my desk and with all the fans on low, it's actually pretty quiet.

Note that the Sandy Bridge i5s and i7s have integrated video on the chip and, as such, don't respond as well to overclocking of the bus. That's where the i5-2500k and i7-2600k show their value, as their multipliers are unlocked. I'd skip Drek's recommendation of the i5-2400 and go straight to the i5-2500K. You'd spend $30 more, but you don't need the faster memory he recommended. Oh, both the video card and memory I have listed each have $20 mail in rebates, so you'll save even more there.
I was going i5 2500k. I think I like his mobo potential, and I'm fine with splurging on the ram right now as I just found out I'm getting a little bonus funding (graduation money!). So I'm at around 800 with everything and fairly happy with the rig.

Btw, will anyone be playing Rift? I'm looking to try it, and some D3 later.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by floats View Post
I'd personally recommend the 2500k myself, just trying to cut corners as best as possible for him.

Also, the mobo and memory are a combo pack that saves him $30 off the pair and nets him a free copy of 3DMark 11.

Like I said previously, the mobo can handle up to 1866, which you can overclock on it to 2133 if you desire. No point buying ram that is lower than the mobo's top speed for a gaming rig/long term frame. When he upgrades the ram will stay viable this way, not end up forcing the rest of his mem to run at a lower clock speed.

Doggcow, if you're flexible with your pricing you might also want to check out this bundle:
$284 mobo/mem pair, next series up from my previous recommendation

Its the next step up in mobos from the previous one I pointed out, its $15 more but gives you two extra 6.0 GB/s SATA ports that can also RAID. Its very possibly something you won't really need but it does offer a nice little extra if you want to go that route.

When I build my next rig in the fall I'll probably go with something like that because I'm going to pair a couple SSDs in RAID 0 for the master drive and slave a couple big 6.0 GB/s HDDs on the second set of ports as a RAID 0 as well. Of course my rig isn't really going to be in the same pricing range as yours and that kind of setup isn't for everyone.

In short, the extra RAID is worth the $15, but only if you're going to use it. If you don't think you'll have more than two or three drives in the box then don't worry about it.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd personally recommend the 2500k myself, just trying to cut corners as best as possible for him.

Also, the mobo and memory are a combo pack that saves him $30 off the pair and nets him a free copy of 3DMark 11.

Like I said previously, the mobo can handle up to 1866, which you can overclock on it to 2133 if you desire. No point buying ram that is lower than the mobo's top speed for a gaming rig/long term frame. When he upgrades the ram will stay viable this way, not end up forcing the rest of his mem to run at a lower clock speed.

Doggcow, if you're flexible with your pricing you might also want to check out this bundle:
$284 mobo/mem pair, next series up from my previous recommendation

Its the next step up in mobos from the previous one I pointed out, its $15 more but gives you two extra 6.0 GB/s SATA ports that can also RAID. Its very possibly something you won't really need but it does offer a nice little extra if you want to go that route.

When I build my next rig in the fall I'll probably go with something like that because I'm going to pair a couple SSDs in RAID 0 for the master drive and slave a couple big 6.0 GB/s HDDs on the second set of ports as a RAID 0 as well. Of course my rig isn't really going to be in the same pricing range as yours and that kind of setup isn't for everyone.

In short, the extra RAID is worth the $15, but only if you're going to use it. If you don't think you'll have more than two or three drives in the box then don't worry about it.
What is raid? tbh, I dont know that much about computers. This one will just be for gaming really. Does RAID make it run faster? Is it hard to set up?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
What is raid? tbh, I dont know that much about computers. This one will just be for gaming really. Does RAID make it run faster? Is it hard to set up?
Save yourself the trouble and just buy a Wii.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote