The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default gase officially staying

some previous reports had him staying, others had him interviewing in dallas for WR spot. hes officially staying, promoted to QB coach. per broncos on twitter.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Jeff Rogers also added as Special Teams Coordinator:

http://twitter.com/#!/Denver_Broncos...31995993628672

@Denver_Broncos
Denver Broncos: The Broncos have announced two additions to the 2011 coaching staff: Special Teams Coordinator Jeff Rodgers and QB Coach Adam Gase.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Jeff Rogers also added as Special Teams Coordinator:

http://twitter.com/#!/Denver_Broncos...31995993628672

@Denver_Broncos
Denver Broncos: The Broncos have announced two additions to the 2011 coaching staff: Special Teams Coordinator Jeff Rodgers and QB Coach Adam Gase.
that was unofficial for quite awhile like some other coaching changes, the gase thing was up in the air. time to bump the staff thread i spose.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Coaching

Jeff Rodgers was promoted to special teams coordinator on Jan. 30, 2010 after spending the 2009 season as the Panthers' special teams and strength and conditioning assistant. He brings six years of NFL apprenticeship to the position following five years assisting with San Francisco's special teams and one with Carolina's units.

In between the 49ers and Panthers, Rodgers served as the special teams coordinator in 2008 at Kansas State, where he elevated the special teams units to among the nation's best. The Wildcats led the country in blocked kicks with a school-record nine, blocked punts with four and kickoff coverage with an opponents’ average drive start of the 21.9-yard line. Kansas State also scored six special teams touchdowns, including five on punt returns. Additionally, Rodgers coached two players who earned All-Big 12 honorable mention: kick/punt returner Brandon Banks and kicker Brooks Rossman.

Rodgers previously gained NFL experience with San Francisco from 2003-07, working as the special teams quality control coach for two seasons before being elevated to assistant special teams coach in 2005. In 2007, he helped Pro Bowl punter Andy Lee finish first in the NFC and second in the NFL in net punting with an average of 41.0 yards and set a league record with 42 punts inside the 20. The 49ers also ranked first in the NFL in kickoff coverage with an opponents’ average drive start of the 24.9-yard line.

During the 2005 season, kicker Joe Nedney established a team record with a 92.9 percent field-goal percentage, converting 26-of-28 field-goal attempts, while San Francisco’s kickoff coverage unit stood third in the league. Long snapper Brian Jennings was named to the Pro Bowl in 2004, and in Rodgers’ first year with the 49ers, they led the NFL with five special teams take-aways.

He broke into coaching at the University of Arizona as a graduate assistant on defense, assisting with the secondary in 2001 and flex linebackers in 2002.

Playing and Personal

Rodgers played linebacker at North Texas, where he earned his degree in business, specializing in entrepreneurship and strategic management. He attended Westlake HS in Austin, Texas but was born in St. Paul, Minn.

History

Linebacker North Texas 1996-99. College coach: Arizona 2001-02, Kansas State 2008. Pro coach: San Francisco 49ers 2003-07, joined Panthers in 2009.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

how does a guy go from coaching into strength and conditioning, then back again?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Love that we're keeping Gase, and Rodgers looks like a quality hire as well.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Love that we're keeping Gase, and Rodgers looks like a quality hire as well.
Ever read a resume that didn't look like a quality hire?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Gase proved he is a good coach....hopefully he can coach up Tebow to be a franchise QB!! Happy to have him on the staff!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Coaching

Jeff Rodgers was promoted to special teams coordinator on Jan. 30, 2010 after spending the 2009 season as the Panthers' special teams and strength and conditioning assistant. He brings six years of NFL apprenticeship to the position following five years assisting with San Francisco's special teams and one with Carolina's units.

In between the 49ers and Panthers, Rodgers served as the special teams coordinator in 2008 at Kansas State, where he elevated the special teams units to among the nation's best. The Wildcats led the country in blocked kicks with a school-record nine, blocked punts with four and kickoff coverage with an opponents’ average drive start of the 21.9-yard line. Kansas State also scored six special teams touchdowns, including five on punt returns. Additionally, Rodgers coached two players who earned All-Big 12 honorable mention: kick/punt returner Brandon Banks and kicker Brooks Rossman.

Rodgers previously gained NFL experience with San Francisco from 2003-07, working as the special teams quality control coach for two seasons before being elevated to assistant special teams coach in 2005. In 2007, he helped Pro Bowl punter Andy Lee finish first in the NFC and second in the NFL in net punting with an average of 41.0 yards and set a league record with 42 punts inside the 20. The 49ers also ranked first in the NFL in kickoff coverage with an opponents’ average drive start of the 24.9-yard line.

During the 2005 season, kicker Joe Nedney established a team record with a 92.9 percent field-goal percentage, converting 26-of-28 field-goal attempts, while San Francisco’s kickoff coverage unit stood third in the league. Long snapper Brian Jennings was named to the Pro Bowl in 2004, and in Rodgers’ first year with the 49ers, they led the NFL with five special teams take-aways.

He broke into coaching at the University of Arizona as a graduate assistant on defense, assisting with the secondary in 2001 and flex linebackers in 2002.

Playing and Personal

Rodgers played linebacker at North Texas, where he earned his degree in business, specializing in entrepreneurship and strategic management. He attended Westlake HS in Austin, Texas but was born in St. Paul, Minn.

History

Linebacker North Texas 1996-99. College coach: Arizona 2001-02, Kansas State 2008. Pro coach: San Francisco 49ers 2003-07, joined Panthers in 2009.
I hope this means the Rich Tuten experiment is officially over. IMHO, he was horrible at teaching players how to avoid injuries. Good riddance!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I hope this means the Rich Tuten experiment is officially over. IMHO, he was horrible at teaching players how to avoid injuries. Good riddance!!
strength coaches dont teach players how to avoid injuries, the main idea is to put them in position so they are strong enough (or not weak in areas) that injuries arent as bad or in a situation where a weaker, less mobile player would get injured, your player wont.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

And Rob Ryan is the new DC in Dallas
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
strength coaches dont teach players how to avoid injuries, the main idea is to put them in position so they are strong enough (or not weak in areas) that injuries arent as bad or in a situation where a weaker, less mobile player would get injured, your player wont.
I disagree. They are on the field during workouts and they have a hand in instructing the players on stretching the muscles. This goes hand in hand with building muscles - it's keeping the muscles in top condition to handle the rigors of the job. It's why they call it strength and conditioning.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I disagree. They are on the field during workouts and they have a hand in instructing the players on stretching the muscles. This goes hand in hand with building muscles - it's keeping the muscles in top condition to handle the rigors of the job. It's why they call it strength and conditioning.
conditioning has nothing to do with the coaches being on the field during warmups. warmups again can only do much, as peyton hillis found out in 08, you push a muscle past its flexibility point it tears or strains. thats why every level of football has injuries, even the absolute best S+C programs which are typically in college, S+C can only put players in position to avoid injury, it wont prevent it.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

I would say flexibility is more crucial than strength when it comes to injury prevention and the reason why I wish the Broncos would institute a regular yoga practice.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I would say flexibility is more crucial than strength when it comes to injury prevention and the reason why I wish the Broncos would institute a regular yoga practice.
not exactly true. flexibility is important, and crucial in some cases, but often times it comes down to pure muscular strength to avoid injury or be able to accept the load that would otherwise hurt a player. asymmetrical athletes or people with limiting balances will get injured more than those who are strong, symmetrical and without a considerable weakness in a particular area. not to mention strength training increases strength of surrounding tendons and ligaments which are injured as much or more in football players than muscles.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
conditioning has nothing to do with the coaches being on the field during warmups. warmups again can only do much, as peyton hillis found out in 08, you push a muscle past its flexibility point it tears or strains. thats why every level of football has injuries, even the absolute best S+C programs which are typically in college, S+C can only put players in position to avoid injury, it wont prevent it.
I did not say warmups, I said workouts. OTAs, training camps, etc. That example of Hillis is not what I am referring to. I am referring to Knowshon significantly injuring his hammy on THE FIRST PLAY OF TRAINING CAMP. If he would have stretched out better, that injury doesn't happen. That's what a good S&C coach can do for you...help prevent those silly injuries from happening.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
not exactly true. flexibility is important, and crucial in some cases, but often times it comes down to pure muscular strength to avoid injury or be able to accept the load that would otherwise hurt a player. asymmetrical athletes or people with limiting balances will get injured more than those who are strong, symmetrical and without a considerable weakness in a particular area. not to mention strength training increases strength of surrounding tendons and ligaments which are injured as much or more in football players than muscles.
Logical.

What's your take on Yoga?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Logical.

What's your take on Yoga?
****ing hard. ever done it? id recommend it for most athletes, but not in offseason training and definitely not as a replacement for traditional strength and power training.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I'd like to see more sprints.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
I wonder if my wife will understand on our 16th anniversary when I refer to it as an "experiment."
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
****ing hard. ever done it? id recommend it for most athletes, but not in offseason training and definitely not as a replacement for traditional strength and power training.
Yes I have /do

Muscled up people think it is easy (for girls) until they try it and it kicks their asses. It works on core muscles very different than strength training.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yes I have /do

Muscled up people think it is easy (for girls) until they try it and it kicks their asses. It works on core muscles very different than strength training.
most modern strength training actually uses pretty progressive core training to not just train abs, but deep abdominal and pelvic muscles which are 100% overlooked in most training programs.

they also borrow some from specific yoga movements, especially in warmups because yoga is so movement and mobility oriented. mobility is key in athletes, because mobility assessment will very easily show weaknesses in an athlete that can be corrected with time.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Someone has lived in California too long...

just kidding. I did ashtanga yoga for a while but while I found that it did wonders for my flexibility (and obviously was good for circulation) I couldn't pick up any chicks because of how sweaty i got... at the end of the thing I was basically forced to meditate in a pool of my own armpit juice. Also... it wore me out to the point where it detracted from lifting weights.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Someone has lived in California too long...

just kidding. I did ashtanga yoga for a while but while I found that it did wonders for my flexibility (and obviously was good for circulation) I couldn't pick up any chicks because of how sweaty i got... at the end of the thing I was basically forced to meditate in a pool of my own armpit juice. Also... it wore me out to the point where it detracted from lifting weights.
exactly why id never recommend someone do this in offseason training. a time and place for everything, and offseason is for getting bigger, faster and stronger (more powerful)!