The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Senior Bowl

The Roster: http://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters.asp

Off the top of my head, I'm keeping an eye on Noel Devine as a possible Darren Sproles type change-of-pace RB among others.

Discuss...who are you watching in this game?

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-18-2011 at 01:38 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

We definitely need to draft Devine, the only reason the chiefs were relevant this year was because their speed on offense and special teams.

speed kills and you can never have enough fast guys
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
meangene
Ring of Famer

I'm looking at some to the DB's - corners and safeties: Ras-I Dowling, DeAndre McDaniel, Kendrick Burney, Rashad Carmicheal.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think McDaniel would be a solid second round pick despite a down season.

Speaking of running backs, footsteps - Locke and Hunter are also guys I'll be paying attention to.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Matt Szczur remember that name. WR/RB/Football player from Villanova.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Matt Szczur remember that name. WR/RB/Football player from Villanova.
Woodhead-type?
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Woodhead-type?
Better. Kid is baller, if doesn't play MLB.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
We definitely need to draft Devine, the only reason the chiefs were relevant this year was because their speed on offense and special teams.

speed kills and you can never have enough fast guys
Yeah, he's got mad skills...4.3 and a 400+ bench to go with Barry Sanders moves, he's just electrifying, the kind of player that makes you hold your breath every time he touches the ball. I'm hoping at 180 he falls out to the 2nd day but I doubt it. We have no speed in the backfied so this guy would look nice as Knowshon's change of pace replacement. Can't wait to see what he does in these all star games.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I love the senior bowl. You can learn a great deal about a player watching those practice tapes.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I love the senior bowl. You can learn a great deal about a player watching those practice tapes.
I agree. Also interested in BC Linebacker Mark Herzlich. He was once considered an early first round prospect. But Cancer and a rod inserted into his femur will take it's toll on his draft stock. He may be around in the 2nd round (early-mid).

If things had gone a little differently Boston College LB Mark Herzlich would already be playing in the NFL and might have been a Top 10 overall pick. Unfortunately a health issue postponed Herzlich's ascension to the next level but he is now back on track and primed to become an early round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. If Herzlich can regain the form he showed as a junior in 2008 he has both the physical tools and intangibles to develop into an impact linebacker in the pros. With his college career coming to a close, Herzlich was kind enough to take a bit of time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions posed by Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?
Mark Herzlich: 6'4" 240 tested freshman year at 4.62

Scott Wright: In 2008 you were named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year. Did you consider entering the 2009 NFL Draft and if so what kind of feedback did you receive from the NFL’s Underclassmen Advisory Panel?
Mark Herzlich: I received a second round grade. I did consider the option but wanted to finish my schooling and didn't feel that I was ready mentally to leave yet.

Scott Wright: You missed the 2009 season while battling Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Where are you health-wise right now and what is the long-term prognosis, specifically in terms of how it could affect your NFL career?
Mark Herzlich: The cancer is completely gone from my body, after just completing my year and a half check-up the doctors once again confirmed this fact. In my opinion and that of my doctors the cancer will not affect my NFL-Career. There is a 3% recurrence rate, which becomes less and less as time passes from diagnosis.

Scott Wright: After such a serious illness and a year away from the game there has obviously been some rust to shake off. How close are you to rounding back into form, in comparison to where you were at the end of the 2008 season?
Mark Herzlich: I feel that I am close. I felt like my old self again in the last few games of the season and had the burst back as well as my instincts. I will have to work very hard during the time between now and the Senior Bowl and the Combine to make sure my strength is up to par and my football mentality stays in place.

Scott Wright: How has your battle with cancer made you a better football player?
Mark Herzlich: It has made me more determined. Things naturally came easy to me before as a player. Now I have to work harder. I have more doubters now, which builds up my drive even more.

Scott Wright: How would you describe your personality? Is it different on the field?
Mark Herzlich: I am very personable off of the field, I am a team type guy and like to be around the guys. I would rather watch a movie at home than go to a party and am focused on my goals. On the field I am demanding of myself and those playing with me. I am the first to compliment someone for doing well, but will also give tips if I feel I can add to what the coaches are trying to get across to the player.

Scott Wright: What are your favorite and least favorite parts of playing football?
Mark Herzlich: My favorite part of playing football is the excitement and power you feel when you are able to take over a game. There have been many cases in which I feel as though I have been a force on the field physically and psychology. The harder you hit and the faster you make plays, the more the offense has to be aware of you and then you have them where you want them.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player? What area do you need to work on?
Mark Herzlich: My greatest strength is not only my toughness but my skill set. I have natural speed, agility, smarts and great hands. I need to get my full strength back in order to become dominant once again. I also pride myself in my preparation, whether it be film study, nutrition or training. I still think I can improve on all of these areas though. As with anything in life, the things you think you are good at, someone is always better. I hope to find the people that are better than me over the next few months and learn from them how to improve myself as a player and increase my stock.

Scott Wright: What current NFL linebacker do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?
Mark Herzlich: I admire Ray Lewis and London Fletcher the most right now. These two guys are true testaments to what taking care of your body can do to help you in the league. They also have had doubters of their own say, you’re too small, or you can't overcome the adversity, but these guys have both done so and will forever leave their mark on the game. They play with ferocity and determination and have been doing so for 10+ years. I think I play a lot like Brian Urlacher. He is a big bodied guy who plays well against the run and can beat up receivers and tight ends in the pass game.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?
Mark Herzlich: Senior Day at Boston College. It was the first time I really felt that I was back to my old self playing. It was also a very emotional time when the band and students all stayed 2 hrs after the game to cheer on the seniors.

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you have faced during your career?
Mark Herzlich: I think C.J. Spiller had unbelievable skills and was very tough to tackle.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Boston College that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?
Mark Herzlich: Luke Kuechly (Soph LB) is going to be a great player at both levels.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?
Mark Herzlich: I always liked the Eagles growing up because I grew up in Philly. I loved watching McNabb play there for so many years.

Scott Wright: When did you realize that you had a future in football beyond college?
Mark Herzlich: Not until the end of my junior season when All-American teams came out and draft boards.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?
Mark Herzlich: I think it will be fun to play against all the guys that I played in college.

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?
Mark Herzlich: Medical Insurance.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?
Mark Herzlich: I would like to get into sports broadcasting.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?
Mark Herzlich: I think I probably still have some Spice Girls on there from growing up.

Scott Wright: Do you intend to play in any all-star games after the season?
Mark Herzlich: I will play in the Senior Bowl.

Scott Wright: It’s obviously still early but do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (i.e. Round 1, Top 3 Rounds, etc.)?
Mark Herzlich: I want to go as high as I possibly can, but most importantly I want a shot to prove myself at the next level.

Scott Wright: I really appreciate the time. Take care and best of luck.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Jeez, the Shrine game and practices are next week and then the Senior Bowl! Already going for the top guys I see! How about the shrine bowl guys first, then the senior bowl once they have a full roster?
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Strengths:
• Good size with a rangy frame, long arms and big hands
• Athletic with fine speed, quickness and a burst
• Very instinctive with a high football IQ
• Has a non-stop motor and does a great job in pursuit
• Covers a lot of ground sideline-to-sideline
• Excels as a pass rusher and blitzer
• Able to take on blockers and then disengage
• Nice ball skills and more than holds his own in coverage
• Has displayed a knack for making the big play
• Fiery, intense and is extremely competitive
• Very mature and is a respected team leader
• Super tough and has a fantastic work ethic
• Offers some schematic versatility
• Ample experience against superior competition

Weaknesses:
• Durability and long-term health are major concerns
• Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger
• Struggles in space and will miss some tackles
• Marginal agility and change of direction skills
• Can be almost too aggressive at times

Notes:
First name is actually "Sandon" and last name is pronounced "HERZ-lick" --- Was a three-year starter for the Eagles --- Earned 1st Team All-ACC honors and was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 --- Did not play in 2009 while undergoing radiation and chemotherapy to treat Ewing's Sarcoma, which is a rare form of bone cancer, and doctors also inserted a 12-inch titanium steel rod in his left leg --- After treatment the cancer is now 100% gone and there is only a 3% recurrence rate, which lessens as time passes --- Returned to the field in 2010 and was quite rusty but he got better and better as the year went along --- Suffered broken bones in his foot and hand in 2010 --- Could fit in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme --- Appeared destined to be a Top 10 overall pick after that standout junior campaign before getting derailed by health issues --- Ultimate grade will be dependent upon medical exams conducted at the Scouting Combine and the opinions of team doctors concerning the risks involved with investing a premium draft choice on this prospect considering his medical history could vary widely --- May slip a bit on Draft Day if teams aren't completely comfortable with his health situation but could turn out to be a steal if he returns to the form he displayed back in 2008 --- The type of quality player and person all good teams need --- Possesses the physical tools and intangibles to stick in the NFL for a long time.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I agree. Also interested in BC Linebacker Mark Herzlich. He was once considered an early first round prospect. But Cancer and a rod inserted into his femur will take it's toll on his draft stock. He may be around in the 2nd round (early-mid).
I got my eye on him too, but I'm even higher on another BC linebacker who probably comes out in 2012, Luke Kuechly who is the nations tackle leader. Herzlich comments on him in that story you linked. Check it out: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...hly/index.html This guys a tackling machine and he started and notched 158 tackles as a true freshman. In a 4-3 he'd be a stud at MLB.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Jeez, the Shrine game and practices are next week and then the Senior Bowl! Already going for the top guys I see! How about the shrine bowl guys first, then the senior bowl once they have a full roster?
I remember watching Shanon Sharpe in the Shrine game (I think) and thinking I wish we could draft that guy. Somewhere buried away in the garage I bet I have an old VHS tape of him in that game!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

They have the top two ILBs in the draft that I'm interested in Greg Jones and Quan from UNC. I'm also interested in Drake Nevis from LSU and Pouncey from Florida. And curious to see how Locker and Andy Dalton does!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I remember watching Shanon Sharpe in the Shrine game (I think) and thinking I wish we could draft that guy. Somewhere buried away in the garage I bet I have an old VHS tape of him in that game!
I love the Shrine game, because you get to see the Mid round prospects go against each other. Plus, Someone almost always gets a call to go play in Mobile the next week due to injury and the scouts request. Always a couple of difference makers in this game too.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

when's the game
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
when's the game
Shrine Bowl is this SAT, Senior Bowl is the 29th.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

Here is some Shrine game updates

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-notebook.html

I'm wondering who might be around in round 3 that is a Ray Rice , MJD type runner. A bowling ball type that can break it for 60 yet pick up the hard yards

Be nice to have a 4th round pick but now we have an extra 6th. Maybe we can get lucky and draft the next TD

Last edited by CEH; 01-18-2011 at 09:19 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I want Helu Jr and Alex Henry. This isn't just because I am a Nebraska homer either. It is because they are good and I'm a Nebraska homer.

We could get Henry and only need one kicker. The guy is great at field goals and punting. Helu Jr is explosive and is the big play RB that we need. I think him and Moreno would be a great combo. He most likely won't go in the first round so he also won't cost a ton.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
I'm looking at some to the DB's - corners and safeties: Ras-I Dowling, DeAndre McDaniel, Kendrick Burney, Rashad Carmicheal.
No thank you to the nutjob that beat the crap out of his girlfriend and threw her down the stairs (McDaniel). Especially not with a second rounder.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
They have the top two ILBs in the draft that I'm interested in Greg Jones and Quan from UNC. I'm also interested in Drake Nevis from LSU and Pouncey from Florida. And curious to see how Locker and Andy Dalton does!
I'm also looking forward to watching Quan Sturdivant......would love to see him with one of our 2nd picks!

my dream draft would be:

1st: Fairley, Peterson, Dareus or Bowers
2nd: Crick, Hayward or a DT
2nd: Sturdivant or Deunta Williams

Last edited by ColoradoBuff; 01-18-2011 at 09:50 AM..
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm really excited about this coming draft... after years and years of Shanny WTF drafts and the wheeling and dealing McD drafts, I'm just ready for a good solid draft where I can know that the Broncos front office did their homework and were prepared...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
No thank you to the nutjob that beat the crap out of his girlfriend and threw her down the stairs (McDaniel). Especially not with a second rounder.
Yeah. I say leave him for the Bengals. Of course, the Iggles like criminals too.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #25
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

DEs
Kerrigan
Clayborn
Bailey

OLBs
Greg Jones
Herzlich