The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2011

Martin Luther King was a great man. Not just because of what he did, but because of how he did it. He led a movement of people who sought equality by appealing to the better angels of every person of every race in the world.

He did not want the conversation about race to devolve even further into violence and confusion, but to instead take place against the backdrop of higher moral principles such as kindness, justice, peace, and love. So King decided that someone should lead by example, and thats what he did. He transcended the rhetoric and the violence, and it cost him his life.

With the more time that passes by, the more impressive this man was. His legacy grows as you see his work bloom fruit in cultures all over the globe. Its almost shocking to look back and see just how much changed because he knew what to do to take the civil rights movement to the brink of fulfillment, and then to give it the final push it needed to change the hears and minds of the citizens of our country.

Thanks for teaching us all, Dr. King.






Mandatory Viewing for every American:
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Odysseus
Fan of the home team
 
Odysseus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 11,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default

I keep forgetting about the holidays. Thanks for the reminder.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,334

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I keep forgetting about the holidays. Thanks for the reminder.
I've got the day off today.
I needed it.
Happy MLK day!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer
 
Mile High Shack's Avatar
 
Cock-a-doodle-do

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 16,938
Default

I'm somewhat shocked a great man like Martin Luther King Jr. would be looked up to by someone like you

http://www.lewrockwell.com/archives/fm/02-91.html
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

The kids in Atanta have to go to school, and they're not happy.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack View Post
I'm somewhat shocked a great man like Martin Luther King Jr. would be looked up to by someone like you

http://www.lewrockwell.com/archives/fm/02-91.html
This is exactly why Dr. King was so great. Where you chose to attack me because you dislike my political bend, Dr. King would have chose to instead appeal to the higher principles in me.

Thanks for providing that example.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

jmo, but it's a little hard to view MLKjr's views of anything beyond universal respect for all humans when the social and economic realities in America have changed a lot. Whether he would prefer the gerrymandered voting districts of the voting rights act or racial quotas in law schools is sort of putting the guy in a box.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer
 
Mile High Shack's Avatar
 
Cock-a-doodle-do

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 16,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
This is exactly why Dr. King was so great. Where you chose to attack me because you dislike my political bend, Dr. King would have chose to instead appeal to the higher principles in me.

Thanks for providing that example.
anytime captain

Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

I'm not sure that mucking up an MLK day thread is the classiest thing to do there, guy.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer
 
Mile High Shack's Avatar
 
Cock-a-doodle-do

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 16,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
I'm not sure that mucking up an MLK day thread is the classiest thing to do there, guy.
naaa, I just like to point out your hypocrisy

Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Martin Luther King was a great man. Not just because of what he did, but because of how he did it. He led a movement of people who sought equality by appealing to the better angels of every person of every race in the world.

He did not want the conversation about race to devolve even further into violence and confusion, but to instead take place against the backdrop of higher moral principles such as kindness, justice, peace, and love. So King decided that someone should lead by example, and thats what he did. He transcended the rhetoric and the violence, and it cost him his life.

With the more time that passes by, the more impressive this man was. His legacy grows as you see his work bloom fruit in cultures all over the globe. Its almost shocking to look back and see just how much changed because he knew what to do to take the civil rights movement to the brink of fulfillment, and then to give it the final push it needed to change the hears and minds of the citizens of our country.

Thanks for teaching us all, Dr. King.
Don't you love how MLK Jr. (a Christian minister) based all this on his Christian principles? Don't you love how modern society and the modern media loves to forget that MLK Jr. was a preacher first, and a social leader secondly.

Oh the irony. Oh the sad state of affairs of this post modern world of crap we live in.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack View Post
naaa, I just like to point out your hypocrisy
Hypocrisy. Its interesting that you bring that up. Because thats exactly what you yourself, by your example, have shown in this thread.

We can all be better, right? Lets start by leaving a petty grudge out of a thread that was intended to celebrate the life and accomplishments of Martin Luther King Jr.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
JJJ
Ring of Famer
 
JJJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Confederation Helvetica
Posts: 2,956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Smartest man in the 2nd half of the 20th century. Get past the normal sound bites and find some of his old interviews. Just amazing stuff.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,487

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

A few shots I took at lunch of Denver's MLK Marade















bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Don't you love how MLK Jr. (a Christian minister) based all this on his Christian principles? Don't you love how modern society and the modern media loves to forget that MLK Jr. was a preacher first, and a social leader secondly.

Oh the irony. Oh the sad state of affairs in this post modern world of crap we live in.
It was Dr. King's Christian standing and Christian example that pried away the common American from the influence of white segregationists across the country. He spoke from a common moral perspective and gently urged people to be better.

There's a powerful irony there. Black people were viewed as inferior intellectually and behaviorally by many white people during that time. Dr. King was superior intellectually and behaviorally and his life spoke the example. Pastors caught on, and the churches across the country turned to help Dr. King. Without those folks, the civil rights movement fails due to lack of consensus.

The Civil Rights Movement was a church movement at its heart, led by a man named after Martin Luther...another freedom fighter.

There is beautiful irony and synchronicity there.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,487

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default









bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack View Post
anytime captain

Happy MLK day everyone! One of the greatest man among great men.

Also the look on here face is great! Plus she looks good. Yea, I want that.

Last edited by HILife; 01-17-2011 at 12:51 PM..
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,342

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Don't you love how MLK Jr. (a Christian minister) based all this on his Christian principles? Don't you love how modern society and the modern media loves to forget that MLK Jr. was a preacher first, and a social leader secondly.

Oh the irony. Oh the sad state of affairs of this post modern world of crap we live in.
MLK also based his movement off of Ghandi's in India, who I believe once said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

At the time, segregationists were spouting scripture as well.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
It was Dr. King's Christian standing and Christian example that pried away the common American from the influence of white segregationists across the country. He spoke from a common moral perspective and gently urged people to be better.

There's a powerful irony there. Black people were viewed as inferior intellectually and behaviorally by many white people during that time. Dr. King was superior intellectually and behaviorally and his life spoke the example. Pastors caught on, and the churches across the country turned to help Dr. King. Without those folks, the civil rights movement fails due to lack of consensus.

The Civil Rights Movement was a church movement at its heart, led by a man named after Martin Luther...another freedom fighter.

There is beautiful irony and synchronicity there.
QFT. Although I don't know what is so beautiful about it. Chistian leadership built this country and it's secularists and post modern intellectuals who are systematically destroying this country. If find it tragic, but then again, I'm in the minority...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
MLK also based his movement off of Ghandi's in India, who I believe once said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."
True. Ghandi actually strongly considered becoming a Christian but he ultimately chose to become a Hindu simply because he viewed Christianity as an imperialistic religion at the time (with the English Empire). When push came to shove he chose to be a Hindu but not because he didn't see the absolute truth of Christianity.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,384

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
True. Ghandi actually strongly considered becoming a Christian but he ultimately chose to become a Hindu simply because he viewed Christianity as an imperialistic religion at the time (with the English Empire). When push came to shove he chose to be a Hindu but not because he didn't see the absolute truth of Christianity.
Really?? Got a link?

Quote:
Gandhi was born a Hindu and practised Hinduism all his life. As a common Hindu, he believed all religions to be equal, and rejected all efforts to convert him to a different faith.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohanda...d_Gandhi#Faith
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

When asked why they didn't use the word God in the constitution, John Adams quipped, "We forgot!"
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
MLK also based his movement off of Ghandi's in India, who I believe once said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."
That's not a very wise quote from a wise man.

Ghandi should have known the problems in comparing the leader of a movement to its followers.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #25
woodall
Rookie
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 93

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

"The absolute truth of Christianity" Please....it's a fairy tale like all religions concocted by humans who are afraid of the dark.
woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Denver Broncos