The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Why Not Von Miller?

We go into this upcoming season as confused a Defense as their is in Football. The one thing we do need however no matter 34 or 43. We need guys who can hit the QB. Von Miller does this very Well as a OLB in the 34. He also looks fluid in Coverage and Sheds blocks better than his Frame would indicate. Now he is not a 2nd round in the Draft Pick. More Like 10-15. Dropping this far would require the trading teams first next season. This is the only reason I would do it. Should we go to a 4-3 He would become the best Zone Blitzing Sam LBer in the NFL. A matchup Nightmare.

If we stay at 2. DeQuan must be the pick. He is a very valuable Edge Rusher. Much less Bust Potential than Fairly. Yes I know "one Year Wonder" However I find that hard to believe when the kid is a Junior and the #1 rated HS player when he signed. How can you be the #1 Rated HS Player, Then in your 3rd season lead the NCAA in Sacks and still be a one year wonder.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Well people say he's a one year wonder because he had, you know, one good year. Who cares about high school stats.

Put to your point, Von Miller looked damn good in that bowl game they had.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
OrangeSe7en

Default Why Not Von Miller?

He's from Texas.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Von Miller was a beast this year and I would love for him to be a Bronco....problem being, I don't watch a lot of college football and I'm definitely not a scout! But, from my eye, I like him much more than the top D prospects, such as Fairly and Bowers...
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
He's from Texas.
A&m
Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Well people say he's a one year wonder because he had, you know, one good year. Who cares about high school stats.

Put to your point, Von Miller looked damn good in that bowl game they had.
A guy who is the best hs player in the country then leads the nation in sacks is not a one year wonder he is progressing as expected.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
A guy who is the best hs player in the country then leads the nation in sacks is not a one year wonder he is progressing as expected.
What difference does it make that he was the best hs player in the country? Are you saying that if he was instead just a walk-on that his draft stock should suffer?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
What difference does it make that he was the best hs player in the country? Are you saying that if he was instead just a walk-on that his draft stock should suffer?
That is exactly what I'm saying
Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

I agree about Miller well worth taking in the first rnd. He has the size speed and block shedding ability we need. I'm wondering if he has the smarts and leadership skills to play in the middle? Frankly we haven't had anyone there, middle, who has been worth a ___T since Al Wilson got hurt. Also there is another guy Herzlich at B.C. I really like,he's been hurt so might be able to get him in 3rd. I like Miller at the 15th pick or later. So we could trade down and still get him or Paea later. We really need a bunch of teams to go crazy for QB's and leave the good D players for us later in the round.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That is exactly what I'm saying
pretty silly thing to imply. some of the best players in football are former walk-ons. aka clay matthews.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
pretty silly thing to imply. some of the best players in football are former walk-ons. aka clay matthews.
What did I imply? If you don't think being a walk on would hurt your draft status you are delisional. It probably hurt. Clays he lasted into the 20
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Because there are much better LB's that fit Denver's needs NEXT year.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
What did I imply? If you don't think being a walk on would hurt your draft status you are delisional. It probably hurt. Clays he lasted into the 20
HOW you got into college has little effect on where you go in the draft. clay didnt play a long time, he was a scout teamer and backup for a long time in college (which i guess is indirectly related to being a walk-on). nick fairley is probably going to be #1 this year and he is not far removed from community college...scouts care about your measurables and what you achieved in your playing time, not how you were looked at coming out 4 years ago when you were smaller, slower and fresh out of high school.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Why would it necessarily hurt your status? Couldn't it imply that you still had room to grow? A lot of top high school players don't make it in college/nfl simply because they topped out in high school and didn't continue developing.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
aka clay matthews.
And 85% of O'mane posters wrote off that entire USC LB class......

Idiots /Mock
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post

Idiots /Mock
well cushing showed his true colors, and for some reason kubiak had him moved to ILB...but clay is absolutely incredible, no other way to put it.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Tsiguy good luck with that. It is not real world. A player who has been great at every step is lower risk than one who has been great at one. Remember we are talking degrees
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Probably because Von Miller is a one-trick pony.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
You've entirely missed his point.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

Idiots /Mock
I was screaming for Maualuga..
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
I agree about Miller well worth taking in the first rnd. He has the size speed and block shedding ability we need. I'm wondering if he has the smarts and leadership skills to play in the middle? Frankly we haven't had anyone there, middle, who has been worth a ___T since Al Wilson got hurt. Also there is another guy Herzlich at B.C. I really like,he's been hurt so might be able to get him in 3rd. I like Miller at the 15th pick or later. So we could trade down and still get him or Paea later. We really need a bunch of teams to go crazy for QB's and leave the good D players for us later in the round.
He's listed at 6'3" or 6'2" and 243 pounds. I'm confused because I've seen reports listing him as stricktly a 3-4 OLB but that's to small for a 3-4 guy. He's been compared to Elvis Dumervil but this guy's not as big or powerfully built as Doom and I think size/speed wise he is more of a DJ Williams type player. He's got a smaller frame and some reports I've seen so far say he struggles against the run. I should know more about him since one of my daughters is in Texas A&M but I don't watch much Aggie football. One thing that would concern me a bit is that I've seen a few TAMU guys drafted high in the NFL and watched them fail. I'm not sure why but it occurs enough that it's caught my attention in the past. It looks like his 40 time is going to come in around 4.5 and change which is nice speed. I'd prefer a bigger guy if we're going the OLB route. UCLA's Akeem Ayers is much bigger, going 6'4" 255 and he's got the frame to carry more weight which Miller doesn't. Ayers might play at 260-265 or more and if we do take an LB he's the guy I have my eye on. Speed is probably pretty comparable as both are ultra good in pursuit. As a soph Ayers ran back 3 INT's for TD's...a linebacker? I like Miller but I think I'd like him in the 20's somewhere, not as high as #15, where I thinnk we might get Stephen Paea. He's not quite as active a pass rusher as Fairley, but he still had 7 sacks from the DT spot and he's big enough to be either a Casey Hampton type NT or a DT who can penetrate plus stop the run.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #22
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I was screaming for Maualuga..
I was screaming just as loud I was *pissed* that we passed over him.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #23
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It's interesting.. sometimes you see a player in college and you go "OK, I can just tell that what he does translates to the NFL." Recently I've seen that three times:

Clay Matthews, Maualuga, and Sedrick Ellis.

I'm 2-3 for I suppose
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #24
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Because there are much better LB's that fit Denver's needs NEXT year.
In no way, shape, or form should the 2nd overall pick be used on the guy who best fits Denver's needs NEXT year. It better be someone they think they can build around for the next decade, even if that means little/no contribution next season.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
In no way, shape, or form should the 2nd overall pick be used on the guy who best fits Denver's needs NEXT year. It better be someone they think they can build around for the next decade, even if that means little/no contribution next season.
That's why I like Paea, he hasn't even touched his potential yet. Once he does, he might be the Warren Sapp type player in this draft. He seems very grounded as well, not a guy who might go off the reservation if things don't go like he wants them to. How can we not like a 311 pound former rugby player?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote