The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default NO to trading down in the 1st

As much as we all know the draft is a crap shoot, there usually is at least a few players in the draft that are so much better then everybody else, you know these few players at the least will be solid NFL players and have a great chance at being elite players in the NFL.

For me, I think Peterson and Fairley are 2 players that have stud written all over them and at the very very worst I think they would be solid NFL starters. Been awhile since the Broncos were in position to land such a player. I don't think you could look at any other player in the draft and say with as much confidence they will be very good players.

As much as I like the concept of moving down to get more picks, I just don't think the Broncos should this year. They have a chance to land either of these 2 players and I think they should do just that. At this point, I don't care which one of them it is. I think both are at another level compared to everybody else.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
schaaf

I agree at the worst possible scenario I see these two just being starters the upside is tremendous. We can't trade down from our spot.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

since when has having an elite, top 3 CB helped the denver defense in the last 5 years?

i think you see more and more over time that great CBs are a luxury, a great d line or schematic pressure is necessary.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I don't want to trade down for more picks. Give me established NFL players, and we'll talk...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

It depends on the deal. Some offers you can't refuse.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
bombay
Ring of Famer

If they could trade down to 5 or so and still get Darius, maybe. Broncos biggest need is an interior DL. Or two. Or three. Maybe Heyward and/or Liugit later.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

I agree.

What the Broncos need is an "impact" player on defense to complement players like Dumervil and Bailey. They can pick up more draft picks by trading Kyle Orton. I like Bannan. I think Ayers can be a very good pro player when healthy. DJ is a solid contributor. I think they need an impact player either on the d-line or at safety. By drafting a guy like Fairley, you get that on the d-line. By drafting a guy like Peterson, you can move Bailey over the FS and double your money!

I see the Broncos sticking at #2, trading Orton for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and bringing in some of Fox's "guys" listed as free agents to fill other holes.

The only true need that I see on offense is a tight end at this point. I see them picking up a quality free agent running back that can share carries and/or take the bulk of the carries should Moreno go down again for extended periods of time. I like the offensive line as it is right now, they seemed to improve significantly as the season wore on and have the opportunity to be one of the better young lines in the NFL as they mature. I think WR goes without saying. And I think that Tebow at QB with an experienced veteran back up and a strong running game is more than adequate at this point with his ability to make plays and throw the deep ball.

Very excited about this draft and the future prospects for the Broncos under John Fox.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I guess. It would have to be redonkulous though. Like if they wanted to trade us a second Tim Tebow.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

We don't know what will happen between now and then. It's a fluid situation.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
since when has having an elite, top 3 CB helped the denver defense in the last 5 years?

i think you see more and more over time that great CBs are a luxury, a great d line or schematic pressure is necessary.
Certainly nobody here is ignorant enough to suggest that getting pressure on the QB doesn't go hand in hand with good CB play. Bu there are a few guys who can take the other teams best WR out of the game entirely. The problem the Broncos have had is that their DL wasn't even average. I think with an average DL, your CB's, if they are good enough, can give good results. With Doom on the shelf all year, that did hurt alot. He's capable of getting pressure, we all know that's a fact. A team might have to help block him, which could leave another lane open for another player.

I've got no problems with taking Fairley over Peterson. But if Fairley would go first to the Panthers, I would in a heart beat take Peterson rather then trade down to get more picks. I think the talent discrepancy after Fairley isn't that big and we can still land a solid DL player at the top of the 2nd round.

With the 2nd pick overall, I think you have to go BPA if you don't trade down. You can't draft for need there. And as I said, I think both of these guys are as close as you can get to "can't miss". Everybody else in this draft, I think that "miss" factor goes higher.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Offense:

QB: Tebow
RB: Moreno/Free Agent
FB: Larsen
WR: Lloyd/Thomas
WR: Gaffney/Decker
Slot: Royal
Blocking TE: Graham/Quinn
Rec. Te: ??/Free Agent
LT: Clady
OG: Kuper
OG: Beadles/??
C: Walton
RT: Harris or Beadles

Defense (3-4):

OLB: Doom
OLB: Ayers
DE: Bannan
DE: Fairley
NT:??
ILB: DJ
ILB: ??/Mays/Haggan
FS: ??/Bailey
SS: ??/McBath/Bruton
CB: Bailey/??
CB: Teh Cox (he's not going to get convicted of anything)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Well played, Cito.

Personally I would love to trade down. We have a lot of holes on this team and there will be more than one pro-bowler out of this draft class and they won't be in the top two picks or even the first round. We need quantity.

That said, unless it's a great deal, we should stay put.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Definitely trade down.

If you can go from Fairley to Dareus or Peterson to Prince, AND add another top 40 player or more, you do it!!!!!
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

imagine how bad they would have been without Champ shutting down half the field
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Also, if the Broncos go with Bowers I think it's a sure sign they'll be going with a 4-3 defense.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
+1. Does the name Herschel Walker ring a bell? Make us an offer.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

So long as two qbs go in the top 5, moving down to 6 would probably be ok. We won't know till the combine, but I suspect Cam is gonna wow people and some team will want him before Buf.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

I trade Orton and Lloyd, if possible, for picks. Lloyd for a day 1 pick. I just think our holes are many and Lloyd may have peaked in production so we can get out while the stock is high. Orton just has to go lest we divide the locker room and we need picks and D more than we need an $8M backup.

As far as TE I say we let Tuten pull Graham's hamstring again, IR the f'er now and get on with life. GRRR.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
We don't know what will happen between now and then. It's a fluid situation.
no fair...you beat me to it...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
So long as two qbs go in the top 5, moving down to 6 would probably be ok. We won't know till the combine, but I suspect Cam is gonna wow people and some team will want him before Buf.
I certainly hope Cam blows people away at the combine. I really, really do. Makes our spot all the more gravy.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
Also, if the Broncos go with Bowers I think it's a sure sign they'll be going with a 4-3 defense.
A good point. That's why I love the idea of Fairley or Peterson. Either of those players can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. After Fairley, the other DL players I think are suited for or more then either.

If we were picking from 5-10, I would for sure say trade down because there are indeed holes to fill. But when you are picking #2 overall and there is GOING to be a player there that has "special" written all over him, I think you gotta take him, esp since there will now be a structured rookie cap. The problem with moving down and getting a few more players is, you could very easily end up with 2 Bannan's instead of 1 Fairley. Bannan is a good player but he's not a "special" player and the Broncos need to start adding some special players again. Not just good rotation guys.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I hadn't thought about Lloyd, but you're right. I'm not sure of his value after his history of not working for several years. I don't think Orton has as much value as people are saying, and the best option for den is probably a conditional 2012 pick that gets us into the second round if he starts 12 games or throws 300 passes or something.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Well played, Cito.

Personally I would love to trade down. We have a lot of holes on this team and there will be more than one pro-bowler out of this draft class and they won't be in the top two picks or even the first round. We need quantity.

That said, unless it's a great deal, we should stay put.
What is your idea of a great deal?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
this...

you can't be rigid on this...weigh out all your options...

but in general i agree...use the pick on hopefully an instant impact player on defense...

but if we can trade back to #5 or so...i'd certainly be all ears to the offer...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #25
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
I'd be a little surprised if they take Bowers even going w/ a 4-3. Dumervil is definitely one starting DE, and Ayers likely the other. He's still sort of an unknown, but he was coming on before he got hurt this year, and he was a 4-3 DE in college.

DT will be a bigger need area.
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote