The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Various snippets and quotes on Coach Fox

Quote:
So does Fox. The Panthers appreciate their coach's candor, and he clearly enjoys being around them. He's a regular presence in the locker room, bobbing his head to whatever hip-hop CD is blaring from the stereo, asking players about details in that week's game plan or about how their children are doing. "We didn't really know the previous coach [George Seifert]," says defensive end Mike Rucker, "and if you don't know a coach, he probably doesn't know you. We all have the same goals, and knowing each other well helps us [reach them]."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzbcIocb

Quote:
The Panthers keep winning because they are steady under pressure—they tied league records in winning seven games by three points or less and three in overtime—and they don't care who gets credit for their success. "Stephen Davis is a superstar" says Fox, "but he doesn't act like one. [Defensive linemen] Julius Peppers and Kris Jenkins are Pro Bowl-caliber guys, but they're selfless. Our receivers don't get much publicity, and they never complain about blocking. All these things help sell teamwork."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzblNAds

Quote:
On defense Fox is drooling over the prospect of Kemoeatu, the surprisingly expensive (five years, $23 million) free agent from the Ravens, and Jenkins playing shoulder-to-shoulder in first- and second-down situations. "Two big guys who aren't fat slobs clogging the middle would be a tremendous addition to our defense," says the coach.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzZTckOn

Moments later, however, the room erupted in laughter as a silver-haired, 48-year-old man squirmed and grunted while trying to escape the grasp of a bare-chested, wild-eyed kick returner. Rod Smart, one of the team's resident pranksters, was at it again.

Quote:
Coach John Fox had been shuffling through his notes and preparing to address the squad when Smart bolted from his chair, locked him in a bear hug and screamed, "I got him." Fox's eyes went wide with surprise, then he chuckled and playfully tugged at Smart's chiseled arms, wiggling helplessly until Smart let go. This is what passes for normal behavior among the Panthers. "People would be amazed if they saw how silly we can be," says defensive tackle Brentson Buckner. "But that's what Coach Fox has created. We have our fun, and he knows we're still going to be prepared."
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzbKrNoT

Quote:
The Panthers keep things simple. They control the tempo early, having scored first in 14 of 19 games this season while their defense allowed a first-quarter score in only five games. Once ahead, Carolina works the clock by continually pounding the ball with running backs Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster. When teams commit extra defenders to stop the run, quarterback Jake Delhomme takes his shots deep to wideouts Muhsin Muhammad and Steve Smith. Old-fashioned, yes, but it's hard to argue with the results. "I'm shocked that they've been this good," says a personnel director for one NFC team. "They're a one-dimensional team that runs on practically every play. Every time I watch them I think, They're getting away with this in the NFL?"
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzbTIUdw

Quote:
The news couldn't have been much worse than it was over a two-week span last August when linebacker Mark Fields learned he had Hodgkin's disease and linebackers coach Sam Mills found out he had intestinal cancer. When he broke the news to his players, Fox got emotional. "You could see this wasn't just about football," Buckner says. "He showed he cared about us. He told us we weren't going to forget about those guys, because they're family."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzbvzeBX

Quote:
Fox is a shrewd, defensive-minded leader who made his name as a coordinator with the New York Giants, just as New England coach Bill Belichick did. Considering their similar bloodlines, it's not surprising that Carolina's philosophies are similar to those of the Patriots two years ago.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1Azc8HGVT

Quote:
But, for now, it can be attributed to the motivation and boundless energy provided by 47-year-old rookie head coach John Fox, who succeeded the distant and unemotional George Seifert. "This is a coach who understands players," safety Mike Minter says of Fox. "He understood where we were and what we needed—a tough guy to give us that tough-guy mentality."

"I told them before the season not to listen to people telling them they're a 1-15 football team," Fox said on Monday morning. "My biggest thing has been getting the players to focus on the now. I know they can handle adversity. The question now is how they'll handle success."

Fox brought with him to Carolina an attacking style of defense and a defensive coordinator, former NFL linebacker Jack Del Rio, who is comfortable with that approach. The Panthers surrendered just 250 yards to the potent Vikings, and they're allowing an NFC-low 9.3 points per game. Fox, who was the coordinator of strong defensive units with the Oakland Raiders and the New York Giants, insisted on making cat-quick defensive end Julius Peppers of North Carolina his first draft pick, the second player taken, and the pressure he's applied as a pass rusher has helped immensely.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1AzeDuf8Y

Quote:
It is an over-used cliche' but Fox is a players' coach and he proved it again Sunday in the win over the Cardinals. How many coaches send their special teams guys out through the tunnel to pre-game introductions?
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Good stuff. They need to get the ****in' CBA resolved, I'm eager to see him go to work.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

The Panthers keep things simple. They control the tempo early, having scored first in 14 of 19 games this season while their defense allowed a first-quarter score in only five games. Once ahead, Carolina works the clock by continually pounding the ball with running backs Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster. When teams commit extra defenders to stop the run, quarterback Jake Delhomme takes his shots deep to wideouts Muhsin Muhammad and Steve Smith. Old-fashioned, yes, but it's hard to argue with the results. "I'm shocked that they've been this good," says a personnel director for one NFC team. "They're a one-dimensional team that runs on practically every play. Every time I watch them I think, They're getting away with this in the NFL?"

listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Fox, who was the coordinator of strong defensive units with the Oakland Raiders and the New York Giants, insisted on making cat-quick defensive end Julius Peppers of North Carolina his first draft pick, the second player taken, and the pressure he's applied as a pass rusher has helped immensely.

"Fox insisted on making Julius Peppers his first draft pick."

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Whew. Damn, I need a smoke now.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Whew. Damn, I need a smoke now.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

For all of you looking for a John Fox fan forum:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47139655941
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post

You are already on it. Bro.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I think the bottom line is this triumvirate of Elway, Xanders, and Fox will enjoy working together, will enjoy sorting through all the possibilities. They all have something to prove, right?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I hope blue doesn't read that part about him being like belichick.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post

So, Pontius, what team do you root for? Raiders?