The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default Magazu and Tolbert Expected to Follow Fox

MaxBroncos

RT @carolinagrowl: I'm told WR coach Tyke Tolbert and OL coach Dave Magazu are expected to follow coach John Fox to Denver.

MaxBroncos

Panthers used zone blocking in recent years, so if OL coach Dave Magazu follows Fox to Denver, look for zone blocking to return.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

That'll be the first big mistake if they replace Gase with Tolbert. Honestly I can't comprehend a move like that...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble
Default

Well, we know three of the guys can zone block. Gotta get Harris back if this is the case.

Ironically, the two rookies were drafted to run a power scheme but have the size of guys tailor made for zone blocking, no?

If the o-line can come together quickly, this rebuild can be a lot shorter than some people think.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
HooptyHoops
We need a DE
 
HooptyHoops's Avatar
 
C'mon D

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

The DC is going to be a big deal to the fans and the future of the Broncos!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That'll be the first big mistake if they replace Gase with Tolbert. Honestly I can't comprehend a move like that...
Why because the WR had a good yr or because you have an opinion on the coach? I wouldn't worry too much about position coaches at this point. Also you can't expect Mcdaniels guys to be kept around, it's just not how it usually works in the NFL.

It's fine to voice concerns but to you can't comprehend it just jumped out at me as being really stupid. I mean you can't comprehend a coach telling his loyal position coaches when i get a new job I bring you with me? Pretty easy for me to comprehend.

Maybe your comprehension just not that good? I mean you did say you were being honest. Also big mistake? Seriously? Big mistakes are not position coach changes when a new coach comes in. Let's wait for some real decisions before we start judging everything.

Geeze and you people say I am negative? Look at Mr Negasaurass here.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
The DC is going to be a big deal to the fans and the future of the Broncos!
Why isn't the OC a bigger deal?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

and look at how often position coaches switch positions you really never know who will be coaching where until training camp begins
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Why because the WR had a good yr or because you have an opinion on the coach?
I would say that the evidence seems to be that Gase is pretty good. Tolbert on the other hand? Carolina hasn't been able to develop any WRs for years. Just because cronyism is so rampant in the NFL, doesn't mean it's good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
HooptyHoops
We need a DE
 
HooptyHoops's Avatar
 
C'mon D

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Why isn't the OC a bigger deal?
I believe McCoy will be retained and I think we have a pretty good nucleus of players on O....as for the D, I can't say as much....
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
and look at how often position coaches switch positions you really never know who will be coaching where until training camp begins
That's true. We need a TEs coach...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 
You know noothin

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,720

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Why because the WR had a good yr or because you have an opinion on the coach? I wouldn't worry too much about position coaches at this point. Also you can't expect Mcdaniels guys to be kept around, it's just not how it usually works in the NFL.

It's fine to voice concerns but to you can't comprehend it just jumped out at me as being really stupid. I mean you can't comprehend a coach telling his loyal position coaches when i get a new job I bring you with me? Pretty easy for me to comprehend.

Maybe your comprehension just not that good? I mean you did say you were being honest. Also big mistake? Seriously? Big mistakes are not position coach changes when a new coach comes in. Let's wait for some real decisions before we start judging everything.

Geeze and you people say I am negative? Look at Mr Negasaurass here.
It's a mistake because Carolina constantly busts on WRs (aside from Steve Smith) - and even SS has been dog poo the past couple seasons. Even if we didn't retain current staff that helped ressurect the career of Brandon Lloyd, helped along two very promising rookie WRs, elevated Gaffney's game, etc it wouldn't be a bad idea for Fox to try something new on the offensive side of the ball...and it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with some fresh faces on his staff.

WR play was one of the few bright spots on this season. It would be a shame if we took steps backwards in that dept. Ag has been very supportive of the Fox hire, he's just expressing an opinion about this particular move.
LRtagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,248

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Well, we know three of the guys can zone block. Gotta get Harris back if this is the case.

Ironically, the two rookies were drafted to run a power scheme but have the size of guys tailor made for zone blocking, no?

If the o-line can come together quickly, this rebuild can be a lot shorter than some people think.
I actually like the ZBS. It's a system I at least know what to expect and I've seen its potential when is clicking on all 8 cylinders.
Good running game, TE, WR, FB, and RB catching balls makes it a fun offense to watch.

The ZBS would give Tebow a chance to spread the ball more and give him more options to go elsewgere when a play breaks down.

I definitely dig it.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,606
Default

IMO, Moreno did seem to look better in the ZBS.

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Keep WR and OC. Everyone else can take a leap, especailly Tuten.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Dave Magazu is a REALLY good OL coach. He'd be a fantastic pick up.

The WR thing I question. The FO has really given them the shaft with some bad draft picks. Guys who just don't want to work. Its entirely possible its not on the coach. But Gase has been doing a pretty solid job here. He's one of the few young upstarts McDaniels hired worth retaining. It'd be nice to see him stay and maintain continuity with the young WRs we brought in last draft.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I actually like the ZBS. It's a system I at least know what to expect and I've seen its potential when is clicking on all 8 cylinders.
Good running game, TE, WR, FB, and RB catching balls makes it a fun offense to watch.

The ZBS would give Tebow a chance to spread the ball more and give him more options to go elsewgere when a play breaks down.

I definitely dig it.
You do know that Zone Blocking is just a method of line blocking, not an offensive doctrine, right?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

What does this mean for Dan Graham?
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,248

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
It's a mistake because Carolina constantly busts on WRs (aside from Steve Smith) - and even SS has been dog poo the past couple seasons. Even if we didn't retain current staff that helped ressurect the career of Brandon Lloyd, helped along two very promising rookie WRs, elevated Gaffney's game, etc it wouldn't be a bad idea for Fox to try something new on the offensive side of the ball...and it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with some fresh faces on his staff.

WR play was one of the few bright spots on this season. It would be a shame if we took steps backwards in that dept. Ag has been very supportive of the Fox hire, he's just expressing an opinion about this particular move.
I see your point.
We've gotta do what we gotta do.
Gaffney and Lloyd are not going to be long term players for the Broncos. They may likely be gone within the next two years.
We do however have some young talent still left that would do us well for the next few years along with a young QB.

It's a matter of re-establishing a dominant running game for the rest to follow suit...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,248

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You do know that Zone Blocking is just a method of line blocking, not an offensive doctrine, right?
Correct.
And the running game flourish in that kind of line blocking, WR's blocking down field, etc...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,274

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

You know its possible Tolbert becomes the new QB coach and they keep Gase.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You know its possible Tolbert becomes the new QB coach and they keep Gase.
I hope so. I'm not a fan of fixing what isn't broken.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
 
Homer Simpson's Avatar
 
...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield
Posts: 765

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You know its possible Tolbert becomes the new QB coach and they keep Gase.
I really hope we keep Gase.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,136
Default

We need a power zone blocking scheme, best of both worlds...
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,274

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Correct.
And the running game flourish in that kind of line blocking, WR's blocking down field, etc...
Receivers block down field in any run play, not just a zone run. And you just said it was a system (it isn't ) and then when he said its not a system you declared him correct. Wtf?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,676

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

They sound like solid coaches. I'm ok with this. Tell them to bring some FA's with them like Charles Johnson or Ryan Kalil.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Denver Broncos