The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default Magazu and Tolbert Expected to Follow Fox

MaxBroncos

RT @carolinagrowl: I'm told WR coach Tyke Tolbert and OL coach Dave Magazu are expected to follow coach John Fox to Denver.

MaxBroncos

Panthers used zone blocking in recent years, so if OL coach Dave Magazu follows Fox to Denver, look for zone blocking to return.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Agamemnon

That'll be the first big mistake if they replace Gase with Tolbert. Honestly I can't comprehend a move like that...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Well, we know three of the guys can zone block. Gotta get Harris back if this is the case.

Ironically, the two rookies were drafted to run a power scheme but have the size of guys tailor made for zone blocking, no?

If the o-line can come together quickly, this rebuild can be a lot shorter than some people think.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

The DC is going to be a big deal to the fans and the future of the Broncos!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That'll be the first big mistake if they replace Gase with Tolbert. Honestly I can't comprehend a move like that...
Why because the WR had a good yr or because you have an opinion on the coach? I wouldn't worry too much about position coaches at this point. Also you can't expect Mcdaniels guys to be kept around, it's just not how it usually works in the NFL.

It's fine to voice concerns but to you can't comprehend it just jumped out at me as being really stupid. I mean you can't comprehend a coach telling his loyal position coaches when i get a new job I bring you with me? Pretty easy for me to comprehend.

Maybe your comprehension just not that good? I mean you did say you were being honest. Also big mistake? Seriously? Big mistakes are not position coach changes when a new coach comes in. Let's wait for some real decisions before we start judging everything.

Geeze and you people say I am negative? Look at Mr Negasaurass here.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
The DC is going to be a big deal to the fans and the future of the Broncos!
Why isn't the OC a bigger deal?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
schaaf

and look at how often position coaches switch positions you really never know who will be coaching where until training camp begins
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Why because the WR had a good yr or because you have an opinion on the coach?
I would say that the evidence seems to be that Gase is pretty good. Tolbert on the other hand? Carolina hasn't been able to develop any WRs for years. Just because cronyism is so rampant in the NFL, doesn't mean it's good.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Why isn't the OC a bigger deal?
I believe McCoy will be retained and I think we have a pretty good nucleus of players on O....as for the D, I can't say as much....
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
and look at how often position coaches switch positions you really never know who will be coaching where until training camp begins
That's true. We need a TEs coach...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Why because the WR had a good yr or because you have an opinion on the coach? I wouldn't worry too much about position coaches at this point. Also you can't expect Mcdaniels guys to be kept around, it's just not how it usually works in the NFL.

It's fine to voice concerns but to you can't comprehend it just jumped out at me as being really stupid. I mean you can't comprehend a coach telling his loyal position coaches when i get a new job I bring you with me? Pretty easy for me to comprehend.

Maybe your comprehension just not that good? I mean you did say you were being honest. Also big mistake? Seriously? Big mistakes are not position coach changes when a new coach comes in. Let's wait for some real decisions before we start judging everything.

Geeze and you people say I am negative? Look at Mr Negasaurass here.
It's a mistake because Carolina constantly busts on WRs (aside from Steve Smith) - and even SS has been dog poo the past couple seasons. Even if we didn't retain current staff that helped ressurect the career of Brandon Lloyd, helped along two very promising rookie WRs, elevated Gaffney's game, etc it wouldn't be a bad idea for Fox to try something new on the offensive side of the ball...and it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with some fresh faces on his staff.

WR play was one of the few bright spots on this season. It would be a shame if we took steps backwards in that dept. Ag has been very supportive of the Fox hire, he's just expressing an opinion about this particular move.
LRtagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Well, we know three of the guys can zone block. Gotta get Harris back if this is the case.

Ironically, the two rookies were drafted to run a power scheme but have the size of guys tailor made for zone blocking, no?

If the o-line can come together quickly, this rebuild can be a lot shorter than some people think.
I actually like the ZBS. It's a system I at least know what to expect and I've seen its potential when is clicking on all 8 cylinders.
Good running game, TE, WR, FB, and RB catching balls makes it a fun offense to watch.

The ZBS would give Tebow a chance to spread the ball more and give him more options to go elsewgere when a play breaks down.

I definitely dig it.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda

IMO, Moreno did seem to look better in the ZBS.

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Keep WR and OC. Everyone else can take a leap, especailly Tuten.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Dave Magazu is a REALLY good OL coach. He'd be a fantastic pick up.

The WR thing I question. The FO has really given them the shaft with some bad draft picks. Guys who just don't want to work. Its entirely possible its not on the coach. But Gase has been doing a pretty solid job here. He's one of the few young upstarts McDaniels hired worth retaining. It'd be nice to see him stay and maintain continuity with the young WRs we brought in last draft.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I actually like the ZBS. It's a system I at least know what to expect and I've seen its potential when is clicking on all 8 cylinders.
Good running game, TE, WR, FB, and RB catching balls makes it a fun offense to watch.

The ZBS would give Tebow a chance to spread the ball more and give him more options to go elsewgere when a play breaks down.

I definitely dig it.
You do know that Zone Blocking is just a method of line blocking, not an offensive doctrine, right?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

What does this mean for Dan Graham?
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
It's a mistake because Carolina constantly busts on WRs (aside from Steve Smith) - and even SS has been dog poo the past couple seasons. Even if we didn't retain current staff that helped ressurect the career of Brandon Lloyd, helped along two very promising rookie WRs, elevated Gaffney's game, etc it wouldn't be a bad idea for Fox to try something new on the offensive side of the ball...and it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with some fresh faces on his staff.

WR play was one of the few bright spots on this season. It would be a shame if we took steps backwards in that dept. Ag has been very supportive of the Fox hire, he's just expressing an opinion about this particular move.
I see your point.
We've gotta do what we gotta do.
Gaffney and Lloyd are not going to be long term players for the Broncos. They may likely be gone within the next two years.
We do however have some young talent still left that would do us well for the next few years along with a young QB.

It's a matter of re-establishing a dominant running game for the rest to follow suit...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You do know that Zone Blocking is just a method of line blocking, not an offensive doctrine, right?
Correct.
And the running game flourish in that kind of line blocking, WR's blocking down field, etc...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

You know its possible Tolbert becomes the new QB coach and they keep Gase.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I hope so. I'm not a fan of fixing what isn't broken.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮

...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I really hope we keep Gase.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

We need a power zone blocking scheme, best of both worlds...
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Correct.
And the running game flourish in that kind of line blocking, WR's blocking down field, etc...
Receivers block down field in any run play, not just a zone run. And you just said it was a system (it isn't ) and then when he said its not a system you declared him correct. Wtf?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

They sound like solid coaches. I'm ok with this. Tell them to bring some FA's with them like Charles Johnson or Ryan Kalil.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote