The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Dontay Moch clocks fastest 40 ever for NFL scouts

Has anyone watched this guy play? I've been reading up on him, and what I'm reading doesn't sound possible,let alone plausible, but I'm seeing this reported in multiple places on the net and nothing written to challenge it or refute it. What's more, the player himself confirms it. (video)

Dontay Moch, who plays DE in Nevada's four man line but is projected as an OLB in an NFL 3-4 defense...could be the fastest player in the history of the NFL draft this April. It's reported all over the web, which is why I don't know why we haven't been talking about him, but he reportedly ran a 4.18 forty for NFL scouts, followed by an insane 4.08 and then a 4.2 done back-to-back-to-back. That's not a typo, the scouts who timed him claim they timed him three times because they didn't believe their own eyes or their instruments, and they insist those were his times. They took the slowest of them and reported an offical 4.2.

By way of comparison, Bo Jackson's 4.19 I believe was the combine's fastest time ever recorded till now. I think Deon Sanders clocked close to 4.2 or something. Despite what we frequently hear, the number of guys who run in the 4.3 and below range is very rare. The fastest linebackers rarely break below 4.5. Patrick Peterson's reportedly clocked 4.3 flat and ran a laser timed 4.37 for scouts before last season. Nobody in the history of the NFL has ever clocked a 4.08 or 4.18. Certainly no linebacker has ever done anything remotely close to that. A 245 pound man running that fast is probably akin to a 325 pound nose tackle covering 40 yards in 4.5 seconds. That simply doesn't happen.

Now looking at his production...42 TFL the last two seasons, 63 for his career, which is the 6th highest total in NCAA history, 21 1/2 sacks his last two years, mostly while being double teamed. WAC Defensive Player of the Year. So far the few projections I've seen show him going in the 2nd or 3rd round. With that kind of speed and production, how could he possibly not go in the first round? If he's there at #36 and certainly at #46, how could we pas on him?

And how great would a guy like this look in orange and blue?

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-12-2011 at 10:58 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Somewhere, Al Davis is having an orgasm
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Dude needs to learn to run routes, block and catch passes. Can you imagine a TE that fast?
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
A 4.08 forty? Even a 4.2? For a 245 pound guy? If he breaks something like this off at the combine, how could he not go top 5? The guy's also a playmaker, not just a track guy.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Dude needs to learn to run routes, block and catch passes. Can you imagine a TE that fast?
Can you imgine a 245 pound safety that fast?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Normally these times are wildly exagerated and when the combine rolls around you see these 4.3 guys all running 4.45 or something but this kid states flat out that he did this and the scouts aren't denying it. We need this dude...bad.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Never heard of him....Walt doesn't seem too impressed.

Dontay Moch, DE/OLB, Nevada
Height: 6-1. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.
10/8/10: Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, but he really has no clue how to play football, and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior. I'm not sold on him as an 3-4 rush linebacker either because he his instincts really hurt him and all he can do is use his first step and speed rush.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Never heard of him....Walt doesn't seem too impressed.

Dontay Moch, DE/OLB, Nevada
Height: 6-1. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.
10/8/10: Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, but he really has no clue how to play football, and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior. I'm not sold on him as an 3-4 rush linebacker either because he his instincts really hurt him and all he can do is use his first step and speed rush.
Well he has more tackles behind the line than all but 5 defensive players in NCAA history and he was WAC Defensive Player of the Year...I think somebody's missing something here.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I know who the raiders first round pick is!!!!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Most overrated combine stat.

Running fast in a straight line with no pads doesn't necessarily mean much.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
He's projected 2nd or 3rd round, but the combines not here yet.

WAC preview: Nevada defense moves at Dontay Moch speed

Updated 8/19/2010 12:28 AM

By David B. Parker, Reno Gazette-Journal

Nevada Wolf Pack defensive end Dontay Moch has shocked scouts and victimized offensive linemen with his elite speed.

By Chris Murray, Reno Gazette-Journal

RENO — The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches.

They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it.

Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again.

He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again.

On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds. Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks.

Imagine a 6-1, 245-pound defensive end such as Moch running it. Unthinkable.

"He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable."

Read the rest here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...tay-moch_N.htm

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-12-2011 at 11:19 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

move over Knowshon
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Can he do a backflip?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

or jump out of a pool
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Holy crap...

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players...ntay-Moch.html

08/13/10 - Nevada defensive end Dontay Moch is featured in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated. Moch is one of five "Players to Watch" from unranked teams. He was the WAC Defensive Player of the Year last season. He finished with 61 tackles, including 20 for loss and 6.5 sacks. He has been named to the watch lists for the Ted Hendricks Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy. The story is in the August 16th issue of SI. It's their College Football Preview. Boise State is on the cover.

08/10/10 - Nevada senior Dontay Moch has been named to the Watch List for the Ted Hendricks Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive end. The 36-player Watch List was announced Tuesday by the Ted Hendricks Foundation. Moch, the 2009 WAC Defensive Player of the Year, is one of the premier defensive ends in the nation. The native of Chandler, Ariz. (Hamilton HS) enters his senior season poised to become the school’s all-time leader in sacks and tackles for loss. He was voted the 2010 WAC Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. He needs 10 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks to become the school’s all-time leader in those categories. He needs those same statistics to break the Western Athletic Conference records in those categories as well. Moch holds Nevada’s single-season records in sacks (11.5 in 2008) and tackles for loss (20.0 in 2009). He has also been named previously to the Watch List for the Bronko Naguski Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive player, and the Lott Trophy. On Monday, he was named to the Watch List for the Chuck Bednarik Award.

08/08/10 - They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen right in front of their faces. But they didn't believe it. Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run a 4.18-second 40-yard dash. That time would be among the fastest ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again. He clocked a 4.08 in his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So, they made him run again. On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds. Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks. Imagine a 6-foot-1, 245-pound defensive end like Moch running it. Unthinkable. "He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable." Moch smiles when asked about that junior pro day this summer when he awed the NFL scouts with his speed. And the distressing thing for offensive linemen is that Moch, the reigning WAC defensive player of the year, is now tapping his potential. – The Reno Gazette-Journal

NEVADA

2009: Expected to contend for conference and national honors after a breakout season last year as one of the top pass-rusher on the West Coast … Named to the Watch List for the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the nation’s top defensive end … Named second-team Preseason All-WAC by Phil Steele’s College Football Preview … Named second-team Preseason All-WAC by Athlon Sports … Named second-team Preseason All-WAC by Lindy’s.

2008: Earned his first career All-WAC honor with second-team accolades ... Finished the regular season tied for second in the WAC, and 17th nationally, in sacks with 9.5 and 0.79 per game ... He was also fourth in the WAC and 30th nationally in tackles for loss at 15.0 on the year and 1.25 per game ...
Converted to defensive end full-time (he played linebacker in 2007 as a freshman), Moch flourished in Nevada’s 4-3 scheme.

2007: Did not start but saw playing time in all 13 games in the linebacking corps as a defensive end and on special teams … Recorded 13 tackles with 3.5 sacks on the year … Had a sack against Idaho, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech … Forced a fumble against Louisiana Tech and recovered another against Nicholls State … Broke up three passes on the year … Earned first career varsity letter.

2006: Redshirted his first year at Nevada.

HIGH SCHOOL

A graduate of Hamilton High School in Chandler, Ariz. … Earned first-team all-state honors … Played on state championship squads in 2004 and 2005 … Was a first-team all-region selection … Won the state 200-meter title.

PERSONAL

Born Dontay Courtney Moch on July 19, 1988 … Son of Rakell Wesley and Robert Moch … Older brother, Mekell, plays football at San Diego State … Has two younger sisters.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Yeah, he won't get past the rai'das pick
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Have you told Bill Belichick who it is? He has Oakland's first this year.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2011.php
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
Can he do a backflip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
or jump out of a pool

Who cares? I think we should take him at #2-- it's the only way to be sure.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

If he ran those times 4 1/2 months ago, are you telling me not a single one of us heard that? Come on, It would have been all over every NFL draft report at that time.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Boise State statline: 8 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 1/2 TFL. He's 13th in NCAA history in TFL.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
If he ran those times 4 1/2 months ago, are you telling me not a single one of us heard that? Come on, It would have been all over every NFL draft report at that time.
I'm not telling you anything. It's reported all over the web that NFL scouts timed him, and the kid himself as well as his coach confirm it. It will be apparent soon enough if they're lying.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Not much in the way of videos but a few; he's obviously fast off the edge for sure. If we had a couple monsters inside he might be a Robert Mathis type guy we could actually play at the DE spot in a 4-3.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious hops View Post
Who cares? I think we should take him at #2-- it's the only way to be sure.
If he busts anything remotely close to a 4.2 at the combine, he's gonne rocket up the charts.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #24
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
If he busts anything remotely close to a 4.2 at the combine, he's gonne rocket up the charts.
I was obviously being sarcastic, but it's happened before. Some of those guys turn out to be Matt Jones or Mike Mamula, though.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Most overrated combine stat.

Running fast in a straight line with no pads doesn't necessarily mean much.
He's productive big time on the field also. If you don't think a sub 4.2 forty on a 245 pound DE isn't going to get NFL teams attention, think again. That's insane speed for somebody that big.