The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Koetter on Tebow

"Tim's a tremendous football player. He's definitely a quarterback still in the developmental phase. It's very difficult to step in from the type of offense he ran in college and step right in an NFL-style offense, but if anybody can get it done, I'd never sell Tim Tebow short."

- Also contains more comments from Koetter and Dennison:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17065867
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
"Tim's a tremendous football player. He's definitely a quarterback still in the developmental phase. It's very difficult to step in from the type of offense he ran in college and step right in an NFL-style offense, but if anybody can get it done, I'd never sell Tim Tebow short."

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coach.aspx?id=2688

Please remember, this guy has had David Garrard as his QB. That being said, the running game has always been solid. It's a smash mouth kinda offense.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I said this in another thread, but I predict he interviewed the best. He seems to meet the criteria and he actually tried to sell them on why he's right for the job.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

I don't care who John picks...I will put my trust in his judgement and stick behind this team...I just want this to be done, so we can get to building this football team into a winner!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
I don't care who John picks...I will put my trust in his judgement and stick behind this team...I just want this to be done, so we can get to building this football team into a winner!
100% agree.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Just to get before the other ASU alums. I would be cautiously optimistic about Coach Koetter, I didn't hate him like so many other sundevils seem to.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

He sounded fine... I just can't quite figure out what he's done to merit an interview.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Dont just want anybody but damn hurry up, we GOT A LOT OF WORK TO BE DONE....................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
He sounded fine... I just can't quite figure out what he's done to merit an interview.
He didn't turn it down?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Maybe the Broncos figure that to win with Tebow, they need an offense similar to the jags? Maybe he came highly recommended from other NFL sources?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Likwid Kerruj

Can he bring Jones-Drew with him?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid Kerruj View Post
Can he bring Jones-Drew with him?
Have to draft Jaquizz I guess.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Don't the jags always seem to have the Broncos number? Or am I just warped due to the 1996 playoff loss?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
I did that with McD. If they pick Dennison I'll just stay away from the board for awhile until my meltdown is over.

This guy seems to know the right words to say. Hopefully he's honest.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I think that is part of the intrigue with him as a candidate. It seems to me that his invitation to interview may have been researched through connections that Elway and Co may have in the league. Which if true tells me that they aren't just following the well worn path of EX-head coaches and are striving to simply find the guy with the best plan.

People assume it's because of his son, but Dennis Erickson was the coach at ASU when Jack was recruited.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I think that is part of the intrigue with him as a candidate. It seems to me that his invitation to interview may have been researched through connections that Elway and Co may have in the league. Which if true tells me that they aren't just following the well worn path of EX-head coaches and are striving to simply find the guy with the best plan.

People assume it's because of his son, but Dennis Erickson was the coach at ASU when Jack was recruited.
that's a valid point. Elway did hire a search firm to help find the next HC. Maybe they did some due diligence and found out that Koetter is a ligitmate candidate and is well respected...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Maybe the Broncos figure that to win with Tebow, they need an offense similar to the jags? Maybe he came highly recommended from other NFL sources?
What's comical to me...about all the negative publicity over Tebow...is:

When Elway played under Dan Reaves...they played an offense similiar to Jacksonville's.

Elway was the most gifted talent to ever come out of college at the QB position...and we ran the ball with the likes of Gerald Wilhite and Sammy Winder. And those are the two most noteworthy backs.

What I saw in Tebow as a rookie playing QB in the NFL was pretty good. I think that labeling him as a running QB or a QB who has to play in a run first offense to be successful...is absolutely idiotic.

He was not accurate on some throws...but on others he showed pin point accuracy. He also has a gun...that announcers and critics alike won't acknowlege. I thought it was assinine listening to Steve Buerline say in the 1st quarter against SD what a strong arm Tebow had on the deep throws (the first series when Lloyd misjudged that deep throw b/c of the sun perhaps). That throw was right on the money by the way. Later in the game Buerline jabbed at Tebow before the Hail Mary's by saying..."Can he even throw it 50 yards?"

Haters are haters! Don't judge Tebow by what the critics say. This kid was a 65% completion QB in College and made all the throws!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I said this in another thread, but I predict he interviewed the best. He seems to meet the criteria and he actually tried to sell them on why he's right for the job.
Stink said on The Fan today that even last time we were hiring he heard Dennison had by far the best interview. Apparently we wanted to get away from the Shanny model so we decided to go in a different direction.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

I'm one of those people. I thought Koetter was the OC when Jack was being recruited to ASU. Not right?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I'm one of those people. I thought Koetter was the OC when Jack was being recruited to ASU. Not right?
Koetter was fired as HC of ASU after the 2006 season for Dennis Erickson, Jack committed to ASU in 2007. Dennis Erickson worked for Jack Elway Sr. I think that's the connection everyone is remembering...just it with Erickson, not Koetter.

Koetter's been with Jacksonville since 2007.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
What's comical to me...about all the negative publicity over Tebow...is:

When Elway played under Dan Reaves...they played an offense similiar to Jacksonville's.

Elway was the most gifted talent to ever come out of college at the QB position...and we ran the ball with the likes of Gerald Wilhite and Sammy Winder. And those are the two most noteworthy backs.

What I saw in Tebow as a rookie playing QB in the NFL was pretty good. I think that labeling him as a running QB or a QB who has to play in a run first offense to be successful...is absolutely idiotic.

He was not accurate on some throws...but on others he showed pin point accuracy. He also has a gun...that announcers and critics alike won't acknowlege. I thought it was assinine listening to Steve Buerline say in the 1st quarter against SD what a strong arm Tebow had on the deep throws (the first series when Lloyd misjudged that deep throw b/c of the sun perhaps). That throw was right on the money by the way. Later in the game Buerline jabbed at Tebow before the Hail Mary's by saying..."Can he even throw it 50 yards?"

Haters are haters! Don't judge Tebow by what the critics say. This kid was a 65% completion QB in College and made all the throws!
Forming the right offense around Tebow (and the current offensive talent on the team) is, I think, a huge consideration for whoever the Broncos bring in as HC. The Jags MO (IMHO) has been to play good defense and not "lose" the game on offense. I don't know if this offensive philosophy is Del Rio's alone, or if Koetter is the brains behind it. The Jags have been one of those teams that no one takes too seriously and they have pretty much floundered behind the Colts and Titans. They have not demonstrated a desire to replace David Garrard yet they don't seem to win a lot of games with him. I mean, it's not like they are wheeling and dealing to find another QB! Could Tebow take the jags to another level in that offense? Is that the type of offense he coulde excel in? I dunno, it's hard to say.

I guess this is why NFL GMs make the big bucks, they hire guys like Koetter to be HCs...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #23
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Koetter was fired as HC of ASU after the 2006 season for Dennis Erickson, Jack committed to ASU in 2007. Dennis Erickson worked for Jack Elway Sr. I think that's the connection everyone is remembering...just it with Erickson, not Koetter.

Koetter's been with Jacksonville since 2007.
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Incoming rep.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Incoming rep.
no worries...ASU is an oft ignored Pac-10 team. I still love'em, and was PSYCHED to get the next Elway, until he decided he didn't like playing anymore.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #25
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

You're Hired!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote