The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Default Miami Blogs: "Orton for our #1"

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spor..._or_trade.html

"Here are the two most obvious options this off-season:

1. Trade with Denver for Kyle Orton. This might cost as much as a No. 1 pick. Crazy? Maybe. Depending on the coach, Orton appears the best hope among the veterans out there. The Dolphins almost certainly would have to overpay with a No. 1 to tempt Denver into trading him. If I'm Denver, I'm not sure what I do then. I can't count on Tim Tebow that much.

Other veteran options? Donovan McNabb is 34 and been dismissed by two quarterback-centric coaches in Andy Reid and Mike Shanahan. Kevin Kolb is more untested and raised in a West Coast offense, though the big plus with him is Reid turned the franchise over to Kolb before Michael Vick's magic carpet took off. Kolb might fit if (please, no) Jon Gruden is brought in.

Orton is 28, has started five years, has built up some good experience and scars in Chicago and Denver. He had a good working relationship with Brandon Marshall last year. The past two seasons, he's thrown 41 touchdowns against 20 interceptions and his rating is 87.2 He's not a franchise quarterback yet. Is he on the verge of being one? Having him would solve a lot of Dolphins problems."

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/theda...make-the-call/

"One sticking point is that Miami doesn’t have a second-round pick in this year’s draft, having traded it for Marshall. With the Dolphins also needing a speedy No. 2 receiver, perhaps the Broncos could toss in a burner like Eddie Royal, who had 59 catches for 627 yards this season, and make it worth a No. 1. Just a thought."
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I'd trade Orton and Royal for their #1 right now.

Although I'd ask them to throw in a conditional pick, anywhere from a 3-5 rounder based on play.

Last edited by TheElusiveKyleOrton; 01-10-2011 at 10:07 AM..
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
broncs2bowl
Ring of Famer

^Club of Death^

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Id do it in a heartbeat
broncs2bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Do this trade.....then trade down our own #1 pick to Dallas and I will heart this new and improved front office.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
DrFate
Lord of Order

I like Royal - I think he was a victim of McDaniel mishandling

Guy had a huge rookie season...
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

They have Bess, why would they take Royal? Dumb. Plus I want to keep Royal.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

No way would I throw Royal into that deal. Swapping Orton and their second back to them? Sure. But no Royal. In a year or two Lloyd and Gaffney will be afterthoughts and Royal is a perfect slot compliment to Decker and Thomas.

This is a three WR (minimum) league now and Royal has a skill set no one else on our offense can replicate out of the slot. We'll wind up drafting a similar player down the road in the first or second if we made that kind of move.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Likwid Kerruj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spor..._or_trade.html

He's not a franchise quarterback yet.

A number 1 for Orton would be amazing.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Lloyd isn't that old. I think he has 4 good seasons left. Why the negative prognosis Drek?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

We will be very lucky if we get a #2 for Orton.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I doubt we can get a #1 for Orton but stranger things have happened ...NO to "tossing in" Eddie Royal that would suck, but a 3rd and Orton for the Fish #1 would be OK with me. Then we draft that Nevada kid to be the scout team QB and develop him for two years down the road to be Tebow's backup and Quinn moves up...or do we sign someone else to back up Tebow?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Vernon Davis says bring in Orton. It's going to be a bidding war!
Culteresque... at least two no. 1's

Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Lloyd isn't that old. I think he has 4 good seasons left. Why the negative prognosis Drek?
Look at his career numbers. I was big on Lloyd heading into this season but he's a system fit more than anything. He's possibly got a couple good years left but I'd never want to pay him top dollar for those years and then some to follow, which is what he's going to want. Our best option is to either deal him while he's hot in the off-season or ride out the 2011 season with him and get the best comp pick possible for the 2013 draft.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Interesting speculation and it would be tempting considering WR is the one position on this team I consider deep. DT, Decker, and Willis are all young guys with huge upside. Swap Royal for Jabar Gaffney and I'd jump at that deal.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I doubt we can get a #1 for Orton but stranger things have happened ...NO to "tossing in" Eddie Royal that would suck, but a 3rd and Orton for the Fish #1 would be OK with me. Then we draft that Nevada kid to be the scout team QB and develop him for two years down the road to be Tebow's backup and Quinn moves up...or do we sign someone else to back up Tebow?
I think Andy Dalton from TCU would be a nice 6th or 7th round pick to use on a developmental #3 QB. He's got excellent mobility and is a very intelligent player, the perfect sort of backup you'd want for Tebow.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Look at his career numbers. I was big on Lloyd heading into this season but he's a system fit more than anything. He's possibly got a couple good years left but I'd never want to pay him top dollar for those years and then some to follow, which is what he's going to want. Our best option is to either deal him while he's hot in the off-season or ride out the 2011 season with him and get the best comp pick possible for the 2013 draft.
He's a physical freak who has underachieved. Just because he's not a beast doesn't mean he's a guy solely benefiting from the system. I think the guy made too many plays out of nothing to not have a great deal. He has the physical ability to be special in any system IMO.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I wish this guy ran Miamis front office.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I don't know about Royal, but how would they like a sensational first round running back like Maroney?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've also sort of thought about using him as trade bait this offseason. He's going to want a big extension, and we have excellent depth and youth at the WR spot, so I think those financial resources could be better allocated elsewhere. The question is whether or not we could get a deal that would make it worth our while? Boldin is a similar age to Lloyd, far more proven on a year to year basis, and he was dealt for a 3rd and a 5th. So, you wouldn't expect to get much more than that for Lloyd, who may be viewed as a possible one year wonder. To me, it's only worth considering for a 2nd rounder, and I'm not sure anyone would offer that given that he's almost 30 and only has one great season.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
This will only be a viable option if Thomas proves that he can stay healthy. He'll need to take over the #2 receiver role, at the very least, next year for it to be wise to let Lloyd walk barring some sort of major drop-off in production.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'd take Orton for a first in a heartbeat. I don't like the idea of trading Royal unless the staff feels good about Decker and Thomas, and even then I'm lukewarm on the idea unless it's for good money.

Royal wants to be a Redskin anyway.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Orton has more value than a lot of you guys are thinking.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

If any team gives Denver more than a 2nd for orton it would be theft!

I like Kyle an all but a low 2nd 3rd is more likely.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #24
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I've also sort of thought about using him as trade bait this offseason. He's going to want a big extension, and we have excellent depth and youth at the WR spot, so I think those financial resources could be better allocated elsewhere. The question is whether or not we could get a deal that would make it worth our while? Boldin is a similar age to Lloyd, far more proven on a year to year basis, and he was dealt for a 3rd and a 5th. So, you wouldn't expect to get much more than that for Lloyd, who may be viewed as a possible one year wonder. To me, it's only worth considering for a 2nd rounder, and I'm not sure anyone would offer that given that he's almost 30 and only has one great season.
Lets hope Josh gets a OC job somewhere.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I think Andy Dalton from TCU would be a nice 6th or 7th round pick to use on a developmental #3 QB. He's got excellent mobility and is a very intelligent player, the perfect sort of backup you'd want for Tebow.
Yeah, somewhere on here I posted the same thing. I don't know where he's going...maybe later than that. The Nevada kid is intgriguing though if you haven't seen him. 6'6" 225 and he can probably pout on another 15 pounds by the time he's a roster possibility. But he's a superior playmaker in the Tebow mold with speed...kid looked good carning up Boston College the other night...plus he beat Boise State...who eles did that?

I'm gonne be watching Fairley tonight.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote