The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Default Be completely honest

Now that we know who we are considering for a head coach do you wish we had kept McDaniels? It's a tricky question because I do wish we still had him as head coach, but with the front office situation we had now. That may not have been possible but if someone told you we could have Elway and Xanders running the front office and personnel with McD just coaching would you be happy with that? I would.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
OrangeSe7en

It's not a tricky question and the answer is a big fat, no.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

I think there may have been way more to the Josh firing then just bad record.

When I hear John talk about Josh's stand offishness and things like that plus baby spy gate and god only know what else.

I'm still not sure he was ready for prime time , in my eyes he hadn't did enough to get a HCing job by no means , I'm not even sure he's a great OC ... He was handed everything in N.E. including scheme and the players to run it. I only think you give HCing jobs to builders and I'm not sure Josh is/was one.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

He should have never been hired in the first place. Let the first timers work out their problems in places like Cleveland and Detroit.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

@mortreport
Chris Mortensen
McDaniels is coveted as an OC but there's a belief he'll be a head coach again soooner than later.

@mortreport
Chris Mortensen
@griffeyowen Oh, I agree. I'm talking 2 or 3 years probably on McDaniels as an OC before he gets his next HC job.

@mortreport
Chris Mortensen
RT @triptepper: @mortreport one question - Why? He was AWFUL as a HC! >> Just like Belichick was in Cleveland? Give it a little time

mortreport Chris Mortensen
@
@RVAparks OK, what about Shanahan "blowing it" as a young coach in Oakland? McDaniels downfall as a GM or coach? He was both at 33.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

no!
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Now that we know who we are considering for a head coach do you wish we had kept McDaniels? It's a tricky question because I do wish we still had him as head coach, but with the front office situation we had now. That may not have been possible but if someone told you we could have Elway and Xanders running the front office and personnel with McD just coaching would you be happy with that? I would.
If what we're talking about is simply having the head coach "coach" and the rest of the current front office handle all the gm duties, then why not allow for the option of bringing Shanny back? That would be my preference. Nobody could do more with less talent than him IMO.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If what we're talking about is simply having the head coach "coach" and the rest of the current front office handle all the gm duties, then why not allow for the option of bringing Shanny back? That would be my preference. Nobody could do more with less talent than him IMO.
I completely agree. I screamed for 4-5 years to take the GM duties away from him and just have him coach. It's just frustrating in my opinion to feel like we had a good COACH in McD but we blew it by giving him too much control
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
As much as i'd love to have my old coach back, the odds of Shanny working under Elway are about as good as me taking a dump on the sun.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

If the choice was between having Shane Lechler punt me in the nuts and having Josh Mcdaniels back as a head coach I would stock up on ice for my soon to be painfully swollen crotch.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I don't wish we could undo what was done earlier this season. The results were in and the cheating business sealed the deal.

I wish we could get a redo on hiring him and putting support around him -- GM, OC, DC, etc... I wish we had limited his ability to try to change EVERYTHING (Offensive scheme, defensive scheme, etc..) all at one time. It would not have been as crazy as it sounds to have hired a "offensive-minded HC" and force him to keep the offense that was in place. Pittsburgh forced Tomlin (who ran a 4 - 3 in Min) to keep LeBeau (to run a 3 - 4). That's an advantage of having a young coach, you have a little more leverage in negotiations.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

No. Simple.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

No, I do not wish we had kept him but I'm not overly thrilled with the list that has come out.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

I do not miss him as coach. I can live with some of the personnel mistakes, his tantrums, and gameday miscues. I chalk those up to inexperience and I believe he would improve in those areas at some point. However, he completely lost me with the video scandel. How stupid could someone be? I don't believe for one second he didn't know about it, and then let his so-called friend burn for it. Good riddance.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsunday View Post
I don't wish we could undo what was done earlier this season. The results were in and the cheating business sealed the deal.

I wish we could get a redo on hiring him and putting support around him -- GM, OC, DC, etc... I wish we had limited his ability to try to change EVERYTHING (Offensive scheme, defensive scheme, etc..) all at one time. It would not have been as crazy as it sounds to have hired a "offensive-minded HC" and force him to keep the offense that was in place. Pittsburgh forced Tomlin (who ran a 4 - 3 in Min) to keep LeBeau (to run a 3 - 4). That's an advantage of having a young coach, you have a little more leverage in negotiations.
I wish we could have a redo in terms of which coach we hire. I bet we are still playing football right now if spagnuolo was our hire.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nope.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think he's going to be a good head coach if he can fix his attitude and accept the fact that he needs a real gm. It wasn't his coach ing that tore this team apart, it was ineptitude in the personnel department.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I wish we could have a redo in terms of which coach we hire. I bet we are still playing football right now if spagnuolo was our hire.
That's always easy to say in hindsight.

I think McD will be a head coach again. And he still might be a good one. We paid a huge price for his learning curve. That's why you surround a young guy with good influences. It also give you some "insurance" if he fails. Since he had control of everything, once he was fired we had to re-think our entire FO and all our offensive and defensive schemes are now likely to change.

Sort of like players in a scheme, coaches should be able to be replaced without blowing up the whole team.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm pissed they hired a young rising star, gave him all the power of someone with 20 years of experience, and then aborted the operation 1.5 years into it. The front office clearly had either no vision or no backbone, either of which is completely inexcusable.

They also fired him with no vision of who would replace him. The only thing I can hope is they pick a path and for christs sake stick with it. Give any coach time to implement their system and give your players some damn stability for once.

At this point I have zero faith in this FO to take the long view, make a choice and play it out. I think when we inevitably experience turmoil, Paige and Kiszla and the local talk radio guys are going to determine the direction this franchise goes.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Not giving Shanahan GM power is a mistake about a decade old and hinged on him winning to Super Bowls. That is long term revisionist history.

Giving those same powers to McDaniels though is a mistake only two years old and one that the org. likely could have reversed this off-season.

If you put Elway into his current position and you explain to McDaniels that you want to retain him but that he will no longer be the end all/be all on football operations you likely have a working partnership.

That said, the answer would still be no. McDaniels' biggest failings weren't his FA signings (mostly solid) or draft moves (again, mostly solid). It was his inability to find and retain capable assistant coaches.

If Nolan was retained or replaced with Crennel we likely see a very different season. If a quality proven OL coach was brought in we also likely would have fared better. A special assistant who focuses on down and distance situations, time out management, challenges, etc. would also have done McDaniels a world of good in his first time around as a head coach.

The lack of that kind of delegation of responsibilities is what doomed McDaniels. It was cool seeing him coaching LBs and DBs his first camp here but it underscored a problem that ultimately doomed him to failure. His ego demanded that he micromanage everything and no human being can do that at a level high enough for NFL success.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think a big part of a coach's job is establishing a culture within the 53 man roster. McD spoke about it but failed in establishing that culture, IMO. I believe a guy like Fox is strong in this regard. In McD's defense, the quality of talent brought in made his job twice as hard as it should've been, but he's only got himself to blame for that.

This team must think of itself as a defensive-run first team and McD did not create that culture in Denver, probably because he's an offensive guy. Fox is a defensive guy who has a track record as a run-heavy coach with a defense that flies to the ball. I believe this is what separates defensive candidates from offensive ones--Rivera and Fewell would bring the same, IMO, but Fox has a track record.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the cutler debacle should have been everyone's first clue that Mcdummy wasn't ready for primetime.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #23
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

unfortunatley, no...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Except the offense in place was just aping what McDaniels was doing in New England and Bates was simply not going to stay around in any kind of role where he wasn't keeping control of the offense.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
That's always easy to say in hindsight.

Yeah right. It was easy as hell to say back then too when at least half the fanbase including me didn't agree with this hire because they wanted Spag. I looked at the hiring of McDaniels at the time as a kick in the nuts, just like many other Bronco fans.

Quote:
I think McD will be a head coach again. And he still might be a good one.

Yeah he'll be a head coach again because teams are stupid, but I highly doubt he will ever be a successful head coach.

Quote:
We paid a huge price for his learning curve. That's why you surround a young guy with good influences. It also give you some "insurance" if he fails. Since he had control of everything, once he was fired we had to re-think our entire FO and all our offensive and defensive schemes are now likely to change.

Sort of like players in a scheme, coaches should be able to be replaced without blowing up the whole team.
That looks a lot like what the Steelers did with Tomlin. And i agree with that.