The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Lets say Perry Fewell or John Fox are hired. How do we rebuild into a 4-3 defense?

I thought this would be fun. Fewell or Fox are named the head coach and announce we will be switching to the 4-3 defense.

Heres what I need you to do take this roster below and through a realistic draft using our 4 first picks #2, #36, #46, #67 or realistic FA pick ups to make it better. I did not put Champ on there because his future is not clear, but you can add him if you want to resign him.

Now you must fix it. Heres the roster pre-draft and pre-FA you have to work with good luck lol.

LDE - Robert Ayers (switches inside to DT on passing downs Jason Hunter comes in at LDE)
RDE - Elvis Dumervil
DT - Justin Bannan
DT -Marcus Thomas
ROLB - DJ Williams
MLB - Joe Mays
L0LB - Mario Haggan

FS - Brian Dawkins
SS - Renaldo Hill (or Darcel McBath)
LCB - Andre Goodman
RCB - Perrish Cox
Nickle -Sydquan Thompson

KEY:
ORANGE = Pro Bowl Player, or future pro bowl player
BLUE = Automatic Starter solid vet or young and flashes but should start
GREEN = Serviceable/Borderline Starter, draft a future replacement tho or upgrade via FA
RED = Default Starter might be unproven, might be aging or just doesn't fit great for the scheme, draft or FA a replacement

Last edited by KevinJames; 01-09-2011 at 08:46 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'd expect Doom to be a DE in a 4-3. And out of Dawkins, Hill and Goodman I bet only one, and maybe 2, are back next season.

Man, our defense is a mess...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

LE: Ayres
DT: Thomas
DT: Bannan
RE: Vickerson
OLB: Williams
MLB: Mays
OLB: Dumervil
CB: Goodman
CB: Thompson
S: Bailey
S: Dawksins/Peterson from LSU

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Elvis would never play LB in a 4-3. He would play LDE. Also, DJ is a natural at Left OLB. I also think Champ will be back but Dawkins will not.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Likwid Kerruj

Dumervil would be going back on the line in a 4-3.

I don't know about Ayers size as a DE though.

Either way, they would still need some bigger guys inside.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

I was figuring he would be RDE as well but I was thinking maybe having him at OLB than putting him at DE on passing downs will help be better for his health? We don't want him to wear down on the line all season.

but I see what you guys are saying I fixed the list you have to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Elvis would never play LB in a 4-3. He would play LDE. Also, DJ is a natural at Left OLB. I also think Champ will be back but Dawkins will not.
DJ is probably the best on the weak side and I believe its also his fav. position, he wasn't the best strong side backer IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid Kerruj View Post
I don't know about Ayers size as a DE though.
Ayers natural position = DE

Last edited by KevinJames; 01-09-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Either way, they would still need some bigger guys inside.
Not really, Bannan and Thomas are pretty prototypical in size for 4-3 DTs. We would however still need some better guys inside.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

WDE: Elvis Dumervil
DT: Jamal Williams
DT: Justin Bannan
SDE: Robert Ayers
WLB: DJ Williams
MLB: Joe Mays
SLB: Mario Haggan

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Likwid Kerruj

Quote:
Not really, Bannan and Thomas are pretty prototypical in size for 4-3 DTs. We would however still need some better guys inside.
That was more of the word I was thinking of.

I like those two as rotational/situational guys.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
If we go 4-3, my guess is a DT will be signed in FA (provided the CBA is done) and either Bowers or Fairley are drafted. Hell, id even support drafting fairly and trading back into the first for Paea. Those would be two awesome D-tackles to pair with Ayers and Doom.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post

DJ is probably the best on the weak side and I believe its also his fav. position, he wasn't the best strong side backer IMO.

Yes, DJ is a natural Will. I have my sides swapped. Even though they don't reall have designated sides.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
I don't know if they'll let him reach the market, but Seattle's Brandon Mebane would be an ideal FA acquisition. We have to get someone who can be disruptive from the three-technique if we expect to be successful, and Mebane fits the bill. Hawks LB David Hawthorne would be another smart FA target.

Ryan Kerrigan and Adrian Clayborn might be solid picks at DE.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Another note I think Woodyard will be given a shot as a starter somewhere in the LB core probably weak side if we do switch to a 4-3 since he fits that scheme much better than a 3-4. If that happens it go ROLB Woodyard MLB DJ Williams SLB Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious hops View Post
I don't know if they'll let him reach the market, but Seattle's Brandon Mebane would be an ideal FA acquisition. We have to get someone who can be disruptive from the three-technique if we expect to be successful, and Mebane fits the bill. Hawks LB David Hawthorne would be another smart FA target.

Ryan Kerrigan and Adrian Clayborn might be solid picks at DE.
I agree with Mebane if we switch to a 4-3 he has to be our top target

Last edited by KevinJames; 01-09-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Likwid Kerruj

Quote:
I know, but he's more on the smaller side and isn't really known for his quickness.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I like Meban too and would much rather throw money at him tat at Nnamdi. Anyone know who the best MLB is in the draft?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
So we need to replace all three LB's?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
I like Meban too and would much rather throw money at him tat at Nnamdi. Anyone know who the best MLB is in the draft?
Don't think hes the best but as an Oregon fan I like Casey Matthews if he comes out, aggressive and has good blood lines

Greg Jones from Mich St is a beast as well

Last edited by KevinJames; 01-09-2011 at 07:42 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Don't think Mays fits in a 4-3, that was the wrap on him in college and Philly - a MLB in the 4-3 has to cover a lot of ground. Also don't think there's any reason to keep Jamal around for a 4-3 (and maybe even the 3-4). I do think Ayers is a better fit at 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB and as crazy as this sounds, I actually LIKE the idea of Elvis - even getting paid all that money - being an exclusive 3rd down pass rusher. 11 of his 17 sacks in 2009 came on 3rd down from his 3-point stance. And of the other 6 sacks, all but 2 (to my recording) also came from his 3-point stance. My point here being that maybe the key to Elvis' production in 2009 wasn't so much that he was rushing the QB from a 2-point stance but that he wasn't being worn down in the run game with teams targeting him in off-tackle runs like we saw in 2008. If the Broncos move to the 4-3 and can find a DE that is stout against the run and not a pushover in passing situations to start opposite Ayers, I could very much see Elvis' flourishing in a 3rd down role through the 1st three quarters and unleashing him fresh on all 3-downs in the 4th. We'll see, because he is getting paid a ton of money.

As per the rest of the unit, Hunter is worthwhile for a look as a reserve DE but not sure how Bannan fits in. If Thomas is let go it'll be four years too late (yes, I know he was drafted in 2007 - I hate that guy). Haggan would be a nice reserve MLB/SLB and I like Woodyard to backup DJ at WLB. If the move was made to the 4-3, the most important positions would be the 3-technique and MLB. Those positions would take top priority, IMO. The secondary doesn't really make a difference to me, and I believe Dawk said the same when he signed here - doesn't change much for those guys.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I know, but he's more on the smaller side and isn't really known for his quickness.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Smaller side? He's 270+ That's like prototype 4-3 DE
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Don't think Mays fits in a 4-3, that was the wrap on him in college and Philly - a MLB in the 4-3 has to cover a lot of ground. Also don't think there's any reason to keep Jamal around for a 4-3 (and maybe even the 3-4). I do think Ayers is a better fit at 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB and as crazy as this sounds, I actually LIKE the idea of Elvis - even getting paid all that money - being an exclusive 3rd down pass rusher. 11 of his 17 sacks in 2009 came on 3rd down from his 3-point stance. And of the other 6 sacks, all but 2 (to my recording) also came from his 3-point stance. My point here being that maybe the key to Elvis' production in 2009 wasn't so much that he was rushing the QB from a 2-point stance but that he wasn't being worn down in the run game with teams targeting him in off-tackle runs like we saw in 2008. If the Broncos move to the 4-3 and can find a DE that is stout against the run and not a pushover in passing situations to start opposite Ayers, I could very much see Elvis' flourishing in a 3rd down role through the 1st three quarters and unleashing him fresh on all 3-downs in the 4th. We'll see, because he is getting paid a ton of money.

As per the rest of the unit, Hunter is worthwhile for a look as a reserve DE but not sure how Bannan fits in. If Thomas is let go it'll be four years too late (yes, I know he was drafted in 2007 - I hate that guy). Haggan would be a nice reserve MLB/SLB and I like Woodyard to backup DJ at WLB. If the move was made to the 4-3, the most important positions would be the 3-technique and MLB. Those positions would take top priority, IMO. The secondary doesn't really make a difference to me, and I believe Dawk said the same when he signed here - doesn't change much for those guys.
What if Doom played OLB on early downs and on 3rd down and obvious passing downs he moves to DE, we already know he can play outstanding standing up and he can run side to sideline.

We would use him like Chiefs use to use Derrick Thomas
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #21
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

Today shovels, tomorrow rifles. Rembember that!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think Perry has experience in both 4-3 and 3-4 not to mention a good Head coach should be able to get a d coordinator who can run the system that suits our personell the best.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #23
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
What if Doom played OLB on early downs and on 3rd down and obvious passing downs he moves to DE, we already know he can play outstanding standing up and he can run side to sideline.

We would use him like Chiefs use to use Derrick Thomas
That's certainly a thought, but in the 4-3 DJ would be the logical fit at WLB (best 2 years of his career arguably his rookie year and 2008 at that position). The LBers have to be able to cover a lot more ground than in the 3-4. My guess is that if they go 4-3, Doom will be starting at DE - not my choice, but my guess.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

DT: Potential 1st round draft pick, Jamal Williams
MLB: potential 2nd round draft pick, Joe Mays
SLB: potential 2nd round draft pick, Mario Haggan

Damn, that's a lot of holes defensively.

CB: Goodman, Cox, Squid
CB: Champ, FA, or 1st rounder
SS: McBath, FA, or potential 2nd or 3rd rounder
FS: FA?, or potential 2nd or 3rd rounder I think Dawkins is done.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
ROLB - DJ Williams
MLB - Joe Mays
L0LB - Mario Haggan