The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Rutgers Greg Schiano...he could be the answer

http://www.scarletknights.com/footba...es/schiano.asp

Tale of the Tape--

-Old enough to be mature, young enough (44) to be here a decade or more
-A winner, he emonstrated unprecedented success in turning one of the worst programs in the country into one of the best
-Defensive oriented coach
-Runs a pro style offense
-Pro and college coaching experience
-Emphazes character, and his team has ranked #1 in the nation in academic progress over the past four seasons according to the NCAA
-Program is successfully sending players to the NFL
-Current salary and a dissapointing 2010 season mean he'll probably come pretty cheap

You might remember Greg Schiano from four years ago when he became an overnight coaching sensation after Rutgers burst from nowhere into the national polls, but lately he’s been flying under the radar. You might also remember him as the guy who turned down the Miami Hurricanes HC job to stay at Rutgers. This guy is impressive, and I didn't find him by looking him up. I found him by searching for coaches according to a specific set of eight distinct criteria (listed above), which seem to fit what the Broncos need now. He fits the bill about as well as possible I think. I don't see any holes in this guy's resume.

Yes…he's a college coach and I know all the arguments which have been repeated ad nauseum-ad infinitum many times, but he's also got pro experience so can we please focus on something OTHER than that so as not to highjack this thread? Harbaugh's a college coach and most people in here wanted him based on the responses I saw. Unlike Harbaugh...this guy's not a sexy pick, but he might be a better one. Just like Harbaugh however, he is commited to running a pro style offense.

Greg Schiano in a nutshell, is a guy who started out at a school that has never won anything, took his lumps early while he learned, and has seen his career rise rapidly since then, and he's probably at the perfect point to consider a move to the NFL. He's not necessarily going to command a huge salary, (currently making $1.5 million), he's got an interesting philosophy that stresses that building a proper foundation takes more time and preparation but it pays off in the long run with a consistent winner, and his record shows he’s discovered how to do that. He's stated boldly from his first days at Rutgers that his goal was to win the NCAA championship there. He has also demonstrated that he knows how to fix problems in his program and isn’t afraid to bring in outside help when he needs it at the expense of his own ego. I'm very impressed with this guy based on what I've found out so far. He's also young enough at 44 to be here a while...old enough to have some maturity

-- Background: experienced in both college and pro coaching; worked under Joe Paterno at Penn State for four years as secondary coach after graduate assistants gigs at Rutgers and Penn State, jumped to the Chicago Bears for three seasons, starting as defensive assistant and promoted to secondary coach in year three....defensive Coordinator for the Miami Hurricanes program from '99-2000 and improved the U's defense to 12th and 5th place national rankings respectively. Miami athletic officials were impressed enough to later offer him the head coaching job, which he turned down to remain at Rutgers.

--Rutgers: Hired as HC in 2000 and struggled early, going 2-9, 1-11, 5-7 and 4-7, then assumed defensive coordinator’s responsibilities in year four while still HC and he turned it around. A 12-34 record starting out severely crippled his overall coaching record, now at 59-63, meaning he's gone 47-29 since that time for a .618 winning percentage, included five straight bowl appearances and a 4-1 bowl record since he figured it out, averaging 9 wins a year. He was one of only four coaches in the country to win four straight bowls, this at a 2nd tier school in New Jersey that hadn't cracked the top 25 in 30 years before he got there and hadn't been to a bowl in its entire 135 year existence, a record of futility rarely matched.

In 2006 Schiano led Rutgers to an 11-2 record including a 37-10 victory over Kansas State for their first ever bowl win, ranking as high as #6 nationally and Schiano was named Big East Coach of the Year, then received six National Coach of the Year awards. Sciano has proven himself a shrewd judge of talent, sening 13 players to the NFL over the last four seasons, the most in the Big East, and players like Ed Reed, Ray Rice and Dan Morgan played under him. In 2009 Rutgers sent five players to the NFL and last year they had two players drafted in the first round. In 2010 32 players in the NFL played for him at Rutgers.

Off the field he’s emphasized character and insisted his players perform in the classroom. Under Schiano the Rutgers football team scored the highest academic progress rate in the nation according to data released by the NCAA, and from 2005-2009 they had the highest multi-year scores ever recorded for a football program in the NCAA Football Bowls Subdivision, edging out second place Stanford.

--Potential Assistants- Since it's probable any new coach will bring assistants with him, I checked Rutgers website for a look at who some of our possible future coaches would be if he's hired. There are two in particular that look like they'd be a fit.

Frank Cignetti- Offensive Coordinator; 20 years of both college and pro experience (49ers, Saints); OC for multiple high scoring collegiate teams http://www.scarletknights.com/footba....asp?prID=9905

Kyle Flood- Assistant HC/Offensive Line; Six years on Rutgers staff, his offensive lines have been considered among the best in the country and sent multiple players to the NFL. The 2006 unit ranked #1 in the nation surrendering only 8 sacks, and the 2007 group finished 2nd, giving up only 10.
http://www.scarletknights.com/footba...ches/flood.asp

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-08-2011 at 11:30 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Straight from college guy goes against everything we are looking for now...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Straight from college guy goes against everything we are looking for now...unless it was Harbaugh
fixed for ya haha
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think the next step for this guy is to take over a college powerhouse team and see what he can do with that. If he can do that and win, he'll start to show up on some NFL radars.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Straight from college guy goes against everything we are looking for now...
REEEAAAALLLYYY tired of repeatedly having to argue this. Did you read the post? Do we really have to re-hash this in every single thread that looks at a college coach? Not to many people talking about Harbaugh being a college guy...so can we talk about the rest of this guy's qualifications? In case you haven't noticed...nobody is lining up for this job right now and we might HAVE to go with a college guy.

John Ralston was a college guy too. He was Denver's first ever winning coach for you youngsters who weren't around. He laid the foundation for Red Miller's team in ''77 that went to our first Superbow. Miller took them there, but Ralston created most of that team.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I think the next step for this guy is to take over a college powerhouse team and see what he can do with that. If he can do that and win, he'll start to show up on some NFL radars.
What for? He's already denonstrated he can get a team from nowhere to the NCAA top 20 and even top 10...there's no reason he needs to go anywhere else, and if he did, he'd probably be 50 when the NFL comes around again. He's the perfect age and experience NOW to make the jump...if he wants to. I'm not sure he wants to, and he seems to love Rutgers. But Bowlen/Elway should talk to him I think.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Haven't seen anything that says he is even close to being on our radar. So until anyone hears that we are considering him he's just a damn pipe dream for those who want him.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
And if he does that while garishly dressed, he'll show up on some NFL gaydars.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Haven't seen anything that says he is even close to being on our radar. So until anyone hears that we are considering him he's just a damn pipe dream for those who want him.
Party pooper.

Can't we discuss the POSSIBILITY and whether people think he'd be a good choice or not?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Coach Schiano brings alot of energy and passion. He's a very good people person. He was a good DC at Miami. He has some experience in the NFL as a secondary coach I think with Chicago. I think his best talents are in recruiting kids though, he's a great recruiter, he was the primary reason DJ went to the U. Recruiting isn't really a skill that is of much value in the NFL, though. I don't know if he is NFL head coach material....he's a fine college head coach, though.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Party pooper.

Can't we discuss the POSSIBILITY and whether people think he'd be a good choice or not?
yeah thats fine, but its like discussing the possibility of landing Cowher, Gruden, Payton, Tomlin, or Belichek. Kinda pointless. I know you think this guy is a hidden gem, thats cool, but until we start expressing any kind of interest in this guy its just not gonna happen, and the conversation is kind of pointless.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Coach Schiano brings alot of energy and passion. He's a very good people person. He was a good DC at Miami. He has some experience in the NFL as a secondary coach I think with Chicago. I think his best talents are in recruiting kids though, he's a great recruiter, he was the primary reason DJ went to the U. Recruiting isn't really a skill that is of much value in the NFL, though. I don't know if he is NFL head coach material....he's a fine college head coach, though.
Recruiting also equates to recognizing talent when you see it right? We could use some of that...no?

Why else do you think he's not NFL ready?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
yeah thats fine, but its like discussing the possibility of landing Cowher, Gruden, Payton, Tomlin, or Belichek. Kinda pointless. I know you think this guy is a hidden gem, thats cool, but until we start expressing any kind of interest in this guy its just not gonna happen, and the conversation is kind of pointless.
All conversations on the Mane are pointless...or at least of little importance.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

If we were going the college route, I'd rather have ferentz.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

sounds intriguing to me. nice resume.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
ghostofjosh

other than that little run he had a few years back...he has done nothing....he had a chance to put a checker on checker when he beat louisville that year,and they are irrelevant again...no way on greg
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
If we were going the college route, I'd rather have ferentz.
If we are going the college route, I'd rather have Sherman.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
REEEAAAALLLYYY tired of repeatedly having to argue this. Did you read the post? Do we really have to re-hash this in every single thread that looks at a college coach? Not to many people talking about Harbaugh being a college guy...so can we talk about the rest of this guy's qualifications? In case you haven't noticed...nobody is lining up for this job right now and we might HAVE to go with a college guy.

John Ralston was a college guy too. He was Denver's first ever winning coach for you youngsters who weren't around. He laid the foundation for Red Miller's team in ''77 that went to our first Superbow. Miller took them there, but Ralston created most of that team.
False. We already have 4 interviews set up with candidates who aren't college guys. Besides, Schiano has already stated he doesn't want to leave New Brunswick for even a more high profile college job, what makes you think he's going to want to move across the country for ours?

Last edited by bowtown; 01-09-2011 at 08:47 AM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #19
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
False. We already have 4 interviews set up with candidates who aren't college guys. Besides, Schiano has already stated he doesn't want to leave New Brunswick for even a more high profile college job, what makes you think he's going to want to move across the country for ours?
Ya I don't get when people say no one is wanting this job...you have mularkey who shunned us...who gives a shiat, then Harbaugh goes where the money is, and close to where his family already is...blessing in my opinion, we have a lot of good candidates lined up. There is no sure thing out there right now. The way I see it, this coaching class is no different than the draft...you have a hunch at who will fit best for your organization, but can't garuntee it will be the right choice. There will be a coach hired this year that suprises everyone in the next few years...Lets just hope he is the coach of the Denver Broncos! Lets all chill out
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Bronco Vixen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Perhaps, but not necessarily. One could argue that succeeding at a small University is much more impressive when you consider recruiting - and recruiting to NJ nonetheless , developing NFL talent, as well as maintaining academic standards (which it sounds like he's done). Often easier to hide those bogus "A's" in "Introduction to breathing" and "Walking 101" at the smaller schools with fewer faculty accomplices. Also, staying underneath the majority of NFL radars is also not a terrible thing in terms of a salary bargain (see recent flurry over Harbaugh).

This thread is why I love the Mane. This is exactly the place to put forth ideas & discuss possibilities that might not necessarily be on the radar but are interesting nonetheless. Great research footsteps. Perhaps a call to Dove Valley is in order.
Bronco Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

If we're going the college route, I'd bring in Chip Kelly for an interview. I love the guy. From writing a check to an angry fan who demanded a refund, to suspending Masoli, and the way he handled the Blount situation, he's just been money.

I think he'd be an amazing candidate to build an offense around Tebow that could shake up the NFL, and I think he has the perfect demeanor and personality to be successful in the NFL.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
Likwid Kerruj

I think once Golden leaves Miami for Penn State after JoePa leaves/dies, then Schiano will go to Miami.

He really can't pass that job up TOO many more times.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I assumed you understood my intent at sarcasm didn't mean we couldn't find anyone to interview, but what an odd post. FIrst you state your case for this being a hot job with the fact that four pretty low profile people are on their interview list, then you tell me a guy coaching in New Jersey would never want to move to the NFL if it meant he had to come here so why bother even asking right? WTF? You can't have your cake and eat it too...should coaches want to come here or not?